Options

[Fantasy Life] Be any job! Swap anytime! Craft, gather, fight! Collect poo!

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    ogretz wrote: »
    Cullen wrote: »
    Just started playing this and having a lot of fun. Picked Hunter as my first life, and I now have a dog to act as fodder while I'll shoot stuff from a distance. Any advice for newbie? I'm thinking of switching life to try mining - is it worth switching up a lot?

My first advise is to go through the initial sequence with every life. If that is too tedious at least do the gathering lives and smithing/tailoring/carpentry. For most of the lives you will be able to complete many of the challenges while not even using that life so you can rank up fairly efficiently. I ended up just skipping the intro to the combat lives. The crafting ones provide some valuable cash early on though so I'd go through those.

As far as if you should switch alot, that is a different question. The main quest can be completed fairly easily as any life so you may want to just stick with what you like. According to my friends I'm a power gamer so I completed all the challenges on almost all of the lives before I moved on to the next zone. I'd at least try to keep your primary combat profession up to date as well as gathering and carpentry/smithing/tailoring. This way you can always gather the materials in the one you are questing in, which provides resources or your crafting.

Another thing to consider is that crafting always makes you money. If there is something you really want to buy, purchase materials to craft some items, craft them, then resell for a profit. Last tip, the pets are not very good. Don't waste your early points in gaining the ability to use more pets. Any of the npc's you can recruit are always going to be better than the pets stat wise.

Yeah, you're going to need the larger bags. Get them ASAP.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    dudes they're pets
    I don't care about stats, I need me some pets

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    dudes they're pets
    I don't care about stats, I need me some pets

I don't care about stats either, but can they cast heal spells?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ogretzogretz Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    No, they just attack and are very weak compared to the npc companions. When you get to parts of the game that are a bit more difficult you will care about stats. At certain points of the game the npc's will be doing the majority of the damage while you try to stay alive.

ogretz on
    friend code: 2165-5516-7098
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    NPC companions seem kind of useless to me except as bait for enemy attacks. They can't dodge, can't evade attacks, do pathetic damage compared to me, and they go down faster than Comcast.

• Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    I hadn't really used NPC companions throughout the game just me and my two dogs (Humphrey and Bob Ross) going around fighting monsters. For big stuff while they wouldn't do any damage they were perfect distractions for me to use my charge attack and then run over revive them, rinse, repeat.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Not sure how far along you guys are, once you get Odin he will basically destroy everything until you get into the dlc zone. After you beat the game you can access some special npcs that are pretty necessary for the end game content unless you want to spend a ton of time on each fight. Once you level up enough and have the right gear your companions aren't as important but if you pick the right ones they are awesome.

Sure you can solo the main content of the original game and the dlc but I'm talking about the fights that are actually difficult, like the bosses that will one shot you until you are geared and leveled properly-some of the creator quests and the trials primarily but also a few spots throughout the game where you can fight things that you aren't ready for yet.

Edit: Also your experience may be alot different depending how you leveled up. I hopped around quite a bit between lives and played the game primarily as a gatherer. My stats weren't allocated for fighting as much as for gathering and crafting.

ogretz on
  • Options
    Odin is legit OP

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    NPC companions seem kind of useless to me except as bait for enemy attacks. They can't dodge, can't evade attacks, do pathetic damage compared to me, and they go down faster than Comcast.

But reviving them is easy and free, and better them than me, and some of them can heal which is just awesome. Kite the boss around and avoid his attacks while getting healed up for free.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Currently I think I'm Level 25 and I made Mercenary my primary in the beginning of the game, so I can pull off those moves. As long as something isn't ridiculously strong I can destroy it in one combo because I will stagger and then unleash the swordnado. Meanwhile every NPC companion gets smashed by the weak swarm enemies.

I'll see once I get to the DLC area though, if I decide I want the DLC. Got so many other games to be playing.

Madican on
  • Options
    There are more durable companions as well. Odin for instance can take a beating when you get him. Near/at endgame there are several npcs that have a ton more hp and defense than your character can get. I prefer using a wizard myself so I use one of the tank characters
    Master Mustang is a god
    and a hunter
    Master Fern
    so they can stun shot as my companions.

• Options
    Currently I think I'm Level 25 and I made Mercenary my primary in the beginning of the game, so I can pull off those moves. As long as something isn't ridiculously strong I can destroy it in one combo because I will stagger and then unleash the swordnado. Meanwhile every NPC companion gets smashed by the weak swarm enemies.

I'll see once I get to the DLC area though, if I decide I want the DLC. Got so many other games to be playing.

There is a big change as you get through the game. I'm 160 something with creator rank on all the lives. Starting out as a merc is probably the reason you are looking at the other npcs as chumps. Mercs are pretty much the strongest damage class throughout the game. I never had much luck with the melee companions other than the few I mentioned. If you haven't tried a hunter or wizard as a companion you may want to give them a shot. For the most part they seem to stay out of harm's way and provide solid support dps.

Also for anyone still pretty low or just trying to level up, I don't really play much anymore but I can hop on and make equipment if anyone needs anything. I probably have materials for most low and mid rank gear. I'm usually free in the evenings (I'm in EST).

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Bah. I've made it to grinding limbo. I've beaten the main story, but I've 6 levels below what I need to access the DLC and there's not much I really CAN do at the moment. All my paladin stuff is to the point where it would take an hour to take out one enemy because I just do so little damage and cant really make anything better, and the rest of the jobs I cant find the stuff I need to make stuff with without grinding for rare drops forever.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    heenato wrote: »
    Bah. I've made it to grinding limbo. I've beaten the main story, but I've 6 levels below what I need to access the DLC and there's not much I really CAN do at the moment. All my paladin stuff is to the point where it would take an hour to take out one enemy because I just do so little damage and cant really make anything better, and the rest of the jobs I cant find the stuff I need to make stuff with without grinding for rare drops forever.

If all you are looking to do is level you may just want to buy mats for the most expensive item you can craft, keep making it in auto mode, sell and repeat until you get the level you need. You'll get easy experience for your main level, for the profession, and a bunch of free cash. I ended up doing that to level the professions all to 20 and it provides a solid exp boost. The best part is there is really no work involved so just do it while watching tv or whatever. While you do gain less exp by doing it in auto mode you don't have to waste your time by actually doing anything. It was perfect for when I as working at home and just had to hit a few buttons every 30 seconds or so. Or if you want a better weapon so you do more damage just let me know what level your weapon skill is and what you are currently using and I'll see if I can make something better for you.

ogretz on
  • Options
    My longsword skill is at level 10, and I'm currently using an adventurer's sword. I've been making blacksmithing items over and over, but it's slow going.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    My longsword skill is at level 10, and I'm currently using an adventurer's sword. I've been making blacksmithing items over and over, but it's slow going.

If you are free now send me your friend code and open your world up. I'm free for the next hour or so and can make you some pretty huge upgrades. Also what armor are you sporting?

• Options
    Normally I'm just sporting the crusader set I got from hitting high rank with paladin. wearing grinding gear right now though. Friend code is 1177-7057-1562

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I've got your gear made, armor is a bit higher than where you're at but there really isn't anything good in between. Let me know when you've added me to friend's list and opened your world. Also you have dlc installed already right?

• Options
    I'm getting an invalid friend code.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    7098 sorry mistyped it

• Options
    edited February 2015
    There we go. All set. And yes, I do have the DLC installed.

Edit: Ahaha. I just now realized I cant even USE any of the armor you gave me. Male only armor. I'm using a female character. Whoops. Ah well.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ha sorry, didnt notice that

• Options
    It's fine. I tend to not get hit that much in the big fights anyway. They just take like an hour without a good weapon.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Mercenary and Blacksmith both at Master rank now just into Chapter 6. Looks like I need to get Carpenter up to make Fir Beams because I can buy any other kind of beam or ore except for that one specific type which happens to be needed for the entire Platinum level of weapons/tools.

Also got some stuff via passwords and promptly shoved it all into storage. When I do the mage Life though I now have three pieces of armor that grant 20-30 magic power each.

• Options
    So is there a way to make the NPCs I add to my party better? Because I really like using Yuelia and Noelia, but they're kinda balls.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    If you have the DLC, raising their friendship seems to make the NPCs use their better actions more often, but in terms of stats they'll always be at a set level that's based on the level you were at when you put them in your party. Yuelia and Noelia I believe set their levels to the same as yours.

• Options
    Okay, got Carpenter to Master as well. I think I might do Alchemist next? Could use a good stock of potions.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Okay, got Carpenter to Master as well. I think I might do Alchemist next? Could use a good stock of bombs.

I think we all know what's really important.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Okay, got Carpenter to Master as well. I think I might do Alchemist next? Could use a good stock of bombs.

I've never found bombs useful.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

Yeah, it's just not the same as activating Creator Mode: Flash and raining a billion crits on everything in front of you, such that the knockback results in them being skewered upon the wall, and ultimately nothing but a mass of arrows baring a slight resemblance to their shape remains.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    So, started on getting to creator in paladin and realized I really need better equipment to do so. I then went back to mining, got that to hero. Gonna start doing the rest of smithing soon, only expert there. but that's much more annoying because of the rare items I need to make the challenge items.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

You're killing me here. :)

pis261mrk41g.jpg

• Options
    Okay, story complete in Fantasy Life. Now I get to grind exp until I can get to Origin Island.

Guess this is a good a time as any to go back to the Ancient Ruins for the Life quests.

• Options
    how do you start Origin island? I've beaten the story.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    how do you start Origin island? I've beaten the story.

Hit level 50 and you get a letter iirc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The leveling limbo between finishing the story and origin island is kinda annoying, but god, is it worth it afterwards.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Stuck in that leveling limbo right now at 45. Decided to level up Paladin and Woodcutter in the meanwhile since I need Woodcutter to get elemental logs and Paladin to try a new attack class. Judging from the classes, I don't regret picking Mercenary first because Paladins are all "We help people!" with their challenges and Mercenary is "Kill this, grab the bounty on that, and murder anything that tries to stop you."

• Options
    MysfytMysfyt silly bookah Lion's Arch, TyriaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Never mind... move along... :)

Mysfyt on
    3DS: 4167-5901-6785
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I picked up Fantasy Life and Monster Hunter 4U with the N3DS. I am in absolute love with this game. As addicting as MH4U is, this is consuming me a lot more.

I'm mainly playing Paladin, Miner, Woodcutter and Blacksmith with points predominantly put into Strength, Vitality and Luck. I might try my hand at fishing, too, but will I have trouble later if I don't put points into Focus/Dexterity?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I'm actually at level 60, I found out. I'm just super grindy in this game

camo_sig2.png