Options

How to MOUTHFEEL an American [BEER]MOUTHFEEL

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    7kKKawEl.jpg?1

Bout to spoil my friends.

That 2 Roads session IPA is exactly what I wanted, nice and crisp but will leave me in good shape for the Tequila tasting I'm attending tomorrow.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    does anyone here know how exactly it is that county fairs can get away with charging almost eight dollars for a small cup of beer

i took notice of this for the first time the other day and i'm just wondering if people are stupid or if they just don't care and how things came to be this way

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I would order the Nikeberry and Satan Red Ale because those names are intriguing.

Satan Red has been my favorite beer for like a decade.

It's rull good.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    My wife went to a girls night and they had Not Your Father's Root Beer.

She didn't bring me any.

Talking to a lawyer on Monday.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    does anyone here know how exactly it is that county fairs can get away with charging almost eight dollars for a small cup of beer

i took notice of this for the first time the other day and i'm just wondering if people are stupid or if they just don't care and how things came to be this way

It's two things, it's a captive audience that's already prepared to part with some cash, and the high prices help to cut down on over-indulging.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Woo

My step brother might bring me up some more of that First Frost this winter if he visits Ohio.

I think this is shaping up to be an okay year.

• Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Founder's All Day IPA might be light in the IBUs(and the ABV), but it's got a ton of great flavor and makes for a great beer on a hot day.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Founder's All Day IPA is an excellent session beer.

Give me that and Stone Go-to and I'll just drink all day.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hooray late summer! The season when the standard "summer" specialty brews are winding down, but it's still mostly too early for the "fall" selections. So where does that leave us? With huckleberries of course! From local breweries!

First up was the Huckleberry Honey Ale from Big Sky Brewing (Hamilton, MT). Available in cans for convenience, it had a nice opening smell, a good smooth drink, and a nice aftertaste of huckleberry.

Next was the Huckleberry Chapel from Selkirk Abbey (Post Falls, ID). A nice witbier but I didn't taste any huckleberry in there. Didn't mind so much because I really like wits.

Finally there's the Huckeberry Pucker Ale from Paradise Creek Brewery (Pullman, WA). Billed as their take on a Berliner Weisse, it's got a bit of acidity that goes really well with the huckleberry flavor.

Also, if you can find it, One Tree Hard Cider (Spokane Valley, WA) has a huckleberry hard cider that is to die for.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Oh also Laughing Dog in Sandpoint, ID makes a huckleberry cream ale that is ok.

Huckleberries are kind of what we're known for in my neck of the woods.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I drank many beers at the local Festival on the Bay the other day. Started out at a bar and got a Stone's Ruinten triple IPA which was awesome. Then had Beard's New School, which is a red ale that was okay. Went to the festival and my cousin was in charge so I didn't have to pay for beer and got many of the Beard's Luna which was a really good beer as well as the Petoskey Brewing Mind's Eye PA which is a pretty good beer as well. Then I went to the Beard's brewery and got a growler and set of four glasses filled with Wabbit Season which is a combination IPA and Saison and it was really interesting and pretty good. And then I woke up today with a mildly rough hangover. Wooo!

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I've recently started trying some of the different beers made by a local brewery here in Iowa called Toppling Goliath. I've tried their IPA and Lager so far and both were excellent.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I've recently started trying some of the different beers made by a local brewery here in Iowa called Toppling Goliath. I've tried their IPA and Lager so far and both were excellent.

Now I know what to look for next time I'm at the FLBS

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Spending some time in central California, seems the go to craft beer for restaurants took have on tap is 805 from Firestone Walker.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I bawt bur.
    repast_zpskpsmyodn.jpg

Anybody ever tried Omer? It had a high alky content and was on the cheaper side. Leffe I've had, it's light but tasty.

This is "the list".
    bur_zpsfecms5w8.jpg

Anything on here anybody recommends besides the famous junk like Delerium and Chimay?

Edit: What in the heck is Straffe Hendrik!?

Just looking at that list I see two somewhat lesser known Belgians that I really like.

Malhuer 12 is a greatly balanced Strong Belgian Dark ale for it's abv, it also has a lot of bubblegum-flavor esters, definitely a favorite.

De Dolle's Mad Bitch, or Dulle Teve, is a pretty good counter-point to the Malhuer, it is lighter-colored but maybe unexpectedly a bit more phenolic, also definitely one of the yeastiest tripels I've ever had.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I picked up a 6 pack of Two Women and Staghorn Oktoberfest and a big ol bottle of Wisconsin Belgian Red from New Glarus.

The Two Women is a lager that's a really good example of the type. Not spectacular but good.

The Stanhorn is a seasonal Oktoberfest and it is exemplary. So good.

I'm not going to open the Belgian Red until I get home.

Reviews will come up on my blog but I get zero phone signal and Wi-Fi is only in one place and sketchy as hell.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Drinking the last of my homemade kolsch that i bottled back in may. God damn if it isn't perfect for a warm summer evening.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    That reminded me to check on my 2nd batch of honey ale...aaand it's malty as fuck.

That's too bad, I was going to enter it in the county fair but not when it tastes like this.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Sixpoint Jammer was super disappointing. The coriander didn't come through at all, so it just tastes like a salty lager. Hard pass.

• Options
    First brew day on Thursday, picked up the kit this afternoon. Should have a good enough nut brown ale in the fridge in the next 4 weeks or so.
    Did a little taste test on the grains ( they taste wonderful), now I'm looking forward to experimenting with different combos in the future.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Can't stop drinking Odell's Brombeere when I'm jonesing for a gose-style. Shit is amazing.

While on holiday I found a decent beer shop, tried the following:

Mother Earth Brewing's Sisters of the Moon, which is a very nice so-called American IPA
    Mother Earth's Weeping Willow, which was not very impressive to me
    Old Bust Head's Bust Head, an English Pale
    Fullsteam Brewery's Cack-a-lacky, which is a pale ale brewed with ginger - liked that quite a bit actually
    21st Amendment's Hop Crisis, which is an Imperial IPA that will knock your fuckin socks off with how good it is
    21st Amendment - Down to Earth is one of my new favourite sessions
    Uinta's Hop Nosh - I don't honestly really see the appeal to this one
    Unknown Brewing Co.'s Pre-Game Session was not as good as 21st Amendment, which I had first and probably skewed my opinion
    Xingu, which was some inoffensive but overpriced Brazilian black lager
    Devil's Backbone's Striped Bass pale ale - nice and drinkable, I think they do quite a good job

I was excited that Champion is canning and shipping throughout the east coast, or at least to North Carolina from VA

Annnd of course I drank a positive mess of Oberon and Two-Hearted, which is still the best beer ever, and a few Brew Free or Dies.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Bought some more beer.

Most notable is a 19th Anniversary Thunderstruck IPA from Stone.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I love Oberon so much. First beer I ever learned to like. Good stuff.

I'm sad that we're exiting its season though.

• Options
    Also you will be hard pressed to find a better Octoberfest then this New Glarus Staghorn

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Happiness is asking your significant other where they want to go for a birthday lunch and they pick some random place for the brick oven aspect and it turns out to have twelve taps, all them kick-ass.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Devil Dancer Triple. IPA from Founders is everything I love about beer.

• Options
    Devil Dancer Triple. IPA from Founders is everything I love about beer.

I drank some of that in a boat while fishing for bass with my cousin and a friend and they could hear us laughing our asses off all the way back at the camp. That beer is fun.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Alpha King from Three Floyd's Brewing is amaze balls.

• Options
    The entire house smells like sweet, delicious wort. Hopefully everything was done properly, or the things that I didn't do properly didn't fuck up the entire batch. OG is a touch high (supposed to be around 1.054, I tested at 1.066), we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
    o9tTxPal.jpg
    4 weeks or so, should hopefully have a nice nut brown ale to sip on

• Options
    The entire house smells like sweet, delicious wort. Hopefully everything was done properly, or the things that I didn't do properly didn't fuck up the entire batch. OG is a touch high (supposed to be around 1.054, I tested at 1.066), we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
    o9tTxPal.jpg
    4 weeks or so, should hopefully have a nice nut brown ale to sip on

That a 5 gallon carboy? Wort looks like it is less than 5 gallons. Could explain why your gravity is a bit high.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    6 gallon... I was a little gung-ho and didn't make a 5 gallon mark beforehand. I checked it against my other 6 (with 5 gallons of water in it) and it is sitting a tad low (maybe just less than half an inch).

e: checked it this morning, bubbling away nicely with a wonderfully nasty krausen sitting on top

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    I'm drinking a Skull Splitter which advertised "ROBUST FLAVOR" which is very true... But that flavor isn't very good.

• Options
    It's growing on me. Problem is it says it's a "Rich ale" not a Wee Heavy so it caught me off guard.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Toppling Goliath Light Speed isn't just a beer that's cribbing on Star Wars, it's also delicious.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I drank a bunch of junk yesterday, mostly Stellas, and I'm about to do it again tonight.

The good beer shop was closed when I got home yesterday, I am hoping they're open tonight before I go out so's I can have some hair of the dog for tomorrow.

Edit: Grabbed two Rochefort 8's (thank you @Raijin Quickfoot), and found out they're discounting take-out orders 10% for no discernible reason, so saved a buck. Gonna miss living downstairs from this place.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Goose island Experimental Ale (Aug 2015) is best described using all the cliche food/drink description words in a very positive way.

• Options
    6 gallon... I was a little gung-ho and didn't make a 5 gallon mark beforehand. I checked it against my other 6 (with 5 gallons of water in it) and it is sitting a tad low (maybe just less than half an inch).

e: checked it this morning, bubbling away nicely with a wonderfully nasty krausen sitting on top

You'll just end up with a slightly strong beer depending on where the final gravity ends up. 6 gallon+ carboys are the best. Plenty of room to ferment without overflowing.

• Options
    Sipping on a Uinta Tinder Rauchbier today. I had a bottle of this earlier in the year and it's rare for me to buy the same beer twice so there you go...definitely buy a bottle if you can.

It's smokey. Campfire smokey. If you've ever had Mezcal it's exactly like that. But the bottle conditioning is perfect and gives it a dry almost champagne-like quality.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/110865/

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    That sounds really interesting. At some point this weekend I'm going to catch up on my blog so expect a lot of new posts.

This discussion has been closed.