As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robert F. Williams [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
So I promised to tell you what happened to cause the Klan to go after the Lumbee tribe rather then the local African-Americans.

Well it starts with the man on the far right of the first picture, Dr. Albert E. Perry. And the man in the second picture, Robert F. Williams.

x1w9A2P.png

220px-Robert_F._Williams.jpg

These two men joined their local branch of the NAACP and managed to jump start what was a dying branch. As they managed to grow their local numbers, they decided it was time to start doing something. So in 1957 they began to push for the integration of local swimming pools. As you can guess, the local Klan didn't take kindly to this. But Perry and Williams figured that would be the case. So they began to prepare. They gathered up an organization of local black veterans. And they reached out to the NRA to get a charter for a local rifle training association, seeing as they were veterans and decided to leave out that they were black, the NRA got them set up to conduct rifle training. Also a nice selection of military surplus weapons. And they trained.

COiUgnw.png

The Klan decided they were going to go after Dr. Perry who was one of the major fundraisers for the local NAACP. On 5 October 1957 they held a rally in Monroe to get themselves nice and psyched up to go burn down Dr. Perry's house. They lead a motorcade to his house and began to fire into the air, hoping to build up the proper air of terror. And it was terror they got. When they realized that the black men at Dr. Perry's house weren't scattering in fear but rather were in prepared fighting positions with sandbags and prepared dirt to give them lots of cover. Oh and they were shooting back. It appears that the local NAACP members decided to shoot low, but it was effective since the Klan scattered in terror.

The degree of restrain shown by the local NAACP members wasn't lost on the local town council. The city government in Monroe banned Klan motorcades the next day. Mostly because they were afraid that the violence would escalate and they weren't likely to live through it being put down. The Klan would go on to what they thought was a weak target.

But Robert F. Williams goes on to be a very polarizing figure in the Civil Rights movement. He frequently debated Martin Luther King about non-violence until 1961. That year he was accused of kidnapping by the FBI. He fled the country. First to Cuba, then to China. Later he returned to the US and appeared in court where the kidnapping charges were quickly dropped. He'd play a major role in the black power movement.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    [Prepared] Chat is prepared

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh man so close. My [chat] is drafted and ready to go.

Next time.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I have acquired an irnbru

Mostly because I'm leaving in a half hour and I hadn't gotten one yet this trip

And with that I no longer have any tiny portraits of Lizzie

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    payday

oh thank christ

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    payday

oh thank christ

If this is about the game I agree

If this is about the candy bar I am afraid I don't understand

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Oh man so close. My [chat] is drafted and ready to go.

Next time.

River Walks of Nottinghamshire shall have to await it's turn

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    payday

oh thank christ

If this is about the game I agree

If this is about the candy bar I am afraid I don't understand

It is about my bank account not having a minus number in it anymore.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Are you in Scotland?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    My place of work affords me a view of the river. Occasionally a riverboat containing naught but old folk trundles past, presumably on the way to the Euthanasiam.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Are you in Scotland?

Irnbru is done to an extent in England too.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My place of work affords me a view of the river. Occasionally a riverboat containing naught but old folk trundles past, presumably on the way to the Euthanasiam.

By design none of our windows outside of a single conference room overlook the river here. I have two views of two different car parks.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

By design none of our windows outside of a single conference room overlook the river here. I have two views of two different car parks.

On the bright side, you can get a head start on your photo book "The Car Parks of Cambridgeshire"

• Options

This will be a great chat

• Options

On the bright side, you can get a head start on your photo book "The Car Parks of Cambridgeshire"

I start that last year:

36WBvw2.jpg

• Options
    Last night was fun, had dunner with friends who have a very friendly kirty

• Options

Speaking of which, how comes along your novel, An American in Anglia?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »

I have started chapter 15: Wherein an American discovers the joys of cottage pies.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    h8hfGFP.jpg

Morning.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I wonder how long I'll still be able to buy a dinner for $2.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »
    I wonder how long I'll still be able to buy a dinner for $2.

that's halfway to a packet of crisps, on sale

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    or, halfway to a cup of coffee

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

I have started chapter 15: Wherein an American discovers the joys of cottage pies.

Postscript: The Shepherd and his Pie

• Options
    Not that buying cups of coffee isn't highway robbery most places.

But I paid 230,- for unlimited coffee from the student cafeterias so that probably works out to something like 0,60 per cup so I can't complain

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    rice with various dishes poured over it is cheap to prepare and will probably be relatively low-cost for a long time, even with rising labour costs, but still. Maybe a bigger push towards takeout.

most of the automation leaps have already taken place - rice cookers, processed meats, etc.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    what's the cost level there for things that aren't rice with taste poured over it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    cost level differences aren't usually even

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJt7gNi3Nr4

this music video always makes me think, man it is a damn shame that we don't have sabre armed cavalry anymore because man look at that shot (1:22)

it looks badass as all hell

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    $3-$4 SGD (2.40-3.60 USD, 16-21 NOK) is presently standard for a meal a working adult might eat for a daily lunch. A drink is not included; that is usually $1-$1.50 thereabouts. A lot of dishes aim for this price level - Chinese chicken rice, Malay mee goreng, the misc variety of Chinese noodle soups, etc. Indian-Muslim food does seem to exercise a price premium, regularly up to $6-$7.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    what's a, say, nice shirt cost

or... I dunno, a pack of cigarettes or a beer

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shirts and beer vary a lot in cost. there's a huge tax on cigarettes, perhaps several hundred percent. so I'm not sure what would work as an indicator. maybe this:

McDonald%27s+Singapore.jpg

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ah, the ol' big mac index. On top of which we sit, I think.

But really, what does a pack of cigarettes cost? The relative priceyness of alcohol and cigarettes are interesting, even if the reason is mainly due to sin tax (of which we have a lot of too)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Nooo, I woke up and I missed out on the rest of the dating conversation from last night.

I just want to say, that I'm not saying that if you end up dating one race more than the other that, that's a bad thing. I DO find it highly questionable when people go "Well I prefer X" if X is not the same race/culture/ethnicity as them* and wonder where it's coming from. Because I start to wonder if it's from a place of stereotypes/fetishization. Like, there's a difference between "I live amongst a high concentration of X so I mostly date X" and "I will only date X because X is superior than A, B, C, and D" to me.

My biggest problem is "I won't date A, B, C, or D" or even "I won't date X" because they go "Well the entirety of them are unattractive/we have nothing culturally in common". It's the shutting down and labeling everyone that belongs to that culture/race/ethnicity as being unattractive/culturally inferior that bothers me.

*I say this because sometimes people do find it nice to date within the same race/culture/ethnicity as them because it makes it easier and there are just certain things that might not come across well in a mixed relationship. But I would have a problem if the reasoning was "Well everyone else is unattractive and savage", obviously.

Also @Wash had a good point about mixed people. As we become more of a mixed society, certain identity markers are getting mixed up all the time. Like, maybe someone would want an Asian and White woman more so than a Black and Asian woman, but then why would that be if you're attracted to Asian features and both women had the same amount of Asian identity markers, etc, etc.

@Hakkekage‌ @skippydumptruck‌ @poshniallo‌ @Mazzyx‌

Mim on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    man it is hard to find a menu with prices attached

mcdonald-s-storgata.jpg

(85 is the take away price, 90 is eating in the restaurant. Grocery has less VAT, 14%, and one unintentional effect of that is that there is no difference between a can of beans and a burger, as long as you take it out of the store. So everything has two listed prices.)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I liked Scrubs, and I'm glad the show is over.

PLA on
  • Options
    googling says a 20 pack of marlboro now costs about $13 thereabouts

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Morn' Mc[Chat]ers!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I remember a party where me and another norwegian was explaining this to an american and his romanian girlfriend who asked about it

which was a strange experience because he votes for the less-taxes-and-man-if-the-government-would-just-use-some-common-sense party and I emphatically don't, so it became a strange mix of us both trying to explain a thing to them, together, while also indirectly debating each other, without actually directing arguments at each other

the foreign couple was perhaps, less than fully enlightened by us due to this

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    singapore has a flat VAT of 7% and is resistant to the idea of finely-tuning the VATs for groceries

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.