As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trans Thread 59

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm glad this thread can close full-circle on the pickle angle.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    What a cutecumber lot of people you are

Anzekay on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm glad this thread can close full-circle on the pickle angle.

You've put into my mind now the image of a cucumber oroboros

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Gherkin for the weekend.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    Gherkin for the weekend.

now that's what I call a new romance

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    Gherkin for the weekend.

now that's what I call a new romance

Nope, same old story

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I went to a trans-feminine support group tonight. It was weird. There was a lot of weird sexism and judginess and drama going on. I was disappointed.

• Options
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    I went to a trans-feminine support group tonight. It was weird. There was a lot of weird sexism and judginess and drama going on. I was disappointed.
    I mean, you can save gas and get all that from the internet.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, customers are assholes.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

I'm completely unsurprised by this, honestly

from personal experience, and based on what other trans femme folk have said

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nevermind.

It's a good album, but it doesn't exactly make me sad.

Not even something in the way?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular

If its not too sucky, could you maybe elaborate a lil?? Im very interested in what sort of judgy sexism would go on and how it relates to what ive seen. And im sorry you bad a bad/weird experience, thats unfortunate, hopefully you can find a good group somewhere <3

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Man-customers are assholes.

Idk it's just what I saw

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

If its not too sucky, could you maybe elaborate a lil?? Im very interested in what sort of judgy sexism would go on and how it relates to what ive seen. And im sorry you bad a bad/weird experience, thats unfortunate, hopefully you can find a good group somewhere <3

It was the "real trans women do this" variety of sexism

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    No True Trans-Woman?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    truscumming

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    truscum refers to transmedicalists. i dont know if they were truscum (WOULDN'T DOUBT)

them folk are like IF YOU DONT PASS OR DONT GET GRS YOURE NOT A REAL LADY. cant stand that garbage narrative.

ive had better luck w/some facebook groups and the like with regard to a support group, if you're looking for a bit more ideological alignment or really, a less pressuring dialogue. the meetings ive attended were similar to fire trucks, whereupon people reiterate cissexist horseshit and try to tell you to harden up in a support group setting which uh, sorta defeats the purpose. the person leading the support group, she was one of them harry benjamin folk so there was a lot of grimacing

in uh different discussion, but maybe w/ similar threads?

im not announcing im leaving w/ some context where im making grandiose, boisterous claims here or there or accusations. the people i dont like/absolutely loathe already get that so theres no sense beating a dead horse. but yeah, im the fuck out of here, done and finito. i enjoyed some of my conversations w/ a great many of you, so if youre ever on twitter? hit me up on my twitter thats in my sig.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    truscum refers to transmedicalists. i dont know if they were truscum (WOULDN'T DOUBT)

them folk are like IF YOU DONT PASS OR DONT GET GRS YOURE NOT A REAL LADY. cant stand that garbage narrative.

ive had better luck w/some facebook groups and the like with regard to a support group, if you're looking for a bit more ideological alignment or really, a less pressuring dialogue. the meetings ive attended were similar to fire trucks, whereupon people reiterate cissexist horseshit and try to tell you to harden up in a support group setting which uh, sorta defeats the purpose. the person leading the support group, she was one of them harry benjamin folk so there was a lot of grimacing

in uh different discussion, but maybe w/ similar threads?

im not announcing im leaving w/ some context where im making grandiose, boisterous claims here or there or accusations. the people i dont like/absolutely loathe already get that so theres no sense beating a dead horse. i enjoyed some of my conversations w/ a great many of you, so if youre ever on twitter? hit me up on my twitter thats in my sig.

Not sure if they were truscum per se, but there was definitely a hierarchy where if you didn't pass enough you weren't in charge or welcome to speak. The thing that made me want to leave was one lady, pulling conversation topics out of a hat (she had suggested everyone write something they wanted to talk about then put it in the hat, so they could be brought up w/o fear or judgement, then proceeded to go through each statement and skewer it judgmentally) said, "some of you all have to make your handwriting more feminine. This all looks illegible like dudes wrote it."

It was not super surprising. The event was associated with the Q Center, Portland's premier Queer community center that is inaccessible to completely everyone but the wealthiest and whitest, has placed itself smack dab in the middle of the city's most gentrified neighborhood, and for the past couple years has busied itself with absorbing and gutting other groups that were actually doing useful stuff. There was recently a scandal and a bunch of the leadership left, and the new leadership has been trying to reform and has been holding "town hall meetings" where community member have been consistently shouting what knobheads they are. So hopefully it's getting better. BRO, which is an organization I have a lot of respect for is taking over a lot of the center's functions. Still, the crappy momentum seems like a lot to shake off.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    So the "how not to do it" support group.

• Options
    I had gone to this one because I had been hearing a lot of support on some Portland queer Facebook groups for a kind of makeup party for the newly out, nonbinary, and just generally femme-identifying folks to get together and play around with cosmetics. I was hoping to either see if someone with a less cat-filled house than me wanted to host, and to see if anyone wanted to come. I got some numbers and emails, so it wasn't a total wash. I kinda wanna go to another meeting just to see what it's like when it's not so crowded, and to yell at them a bunch.

• Options
    Most of the ridiculous advice and commentary I've heard has come from the older generation of trans women. They have more of a tendency to stick with the "traditional" values of womanhood.

Like, I had trans women trying to talk me out of my surgeon and instead go to thailand

ugh

UGH

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    "My surgeon's better than your surgeon"

The new "My dad can beat up your dad"

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Group talk reminds me of the stuff I've heard about the support group in my area from a friend; it was apparently just completely drama filled, which made me hesitant to even consider going [which is probably for the best; even a one on one therapy session leaves me feeling like I'm in the midst of a panic attack]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    "My surgeon's better than your surgeon"

The new "My dad can beat up your dad"

just picturing a West Side Story-style knife fight, but with scalpels and full scrubs

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    It's basically people putting some kind of specific requirement on gender identity, from "you must have dysphoria" to stuff like "you must complete conform to gender stereotypes, get surgery, etc."

Even the more "reasonable" ones do stuff like insist that non-binary people are just a trans man/woman in denial or whatever.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    It's basically people putting some kind of specific requirement on gender identity, from "you must have dysphoria" to stuff like "you must complete conform to gender stereotypes, get surgery, etc."

Even the more "reasonable" ones do stuff like insist that non-binary people are just a trans man/woman in denial or whatever.

This specifically feels very much like how a lot of older people think that trans men/women are gay and confused

Like they can't conceive of the no binary so they "round" to the closest thing they understand

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

This specifically feels very much like how a lot of older people think that trans men/women are gay and confused

Like they can't conceive of the no binary so they "round" to the closest thing they understand

Kind of, yeah.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nevermind.

It's a good album, but it doesn't exactly make me sad.

Not even something in the way?

Yeah but in more of a general melancholy, rather than a "shed tears" sense.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

It's internalized bigotry all the way down.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tinauntinaun Registered User regular
    speaking of shitty things happening at mainstream events, an acquaintance of mine (never talked with her directly) apparently was pretty badly assaulted (broken arm) by security at a pride parade for protesting it after cops were allowed to march in-uniform

it's gross how quickly people can throw you away

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Wait, why was she protesting the pride parade? I'm not getting that part.

Edit: not trying to garner a qualifier I'm really just confused on that point.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    tinauntinaun Registered User regular
    there was a 'police pride' section or something where cops were allowed to march in uniform

considering cops have a history of putting trans women in male prisons it's reasonable to protest that, i think.

• Options
    trans women protesting at pride parades makes perfect sense if you think about how the queer community in general disregards us

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    tinaun wrote: »
    there was a 'police pride' section or something where cops were allowed to march in uniform

considering cops have a history of putting trans women in male prisons it's reasonable to protest that, i think.

I'm sure there are a litany of problems with the way law enforcement treats trans people, but it isn't really up to them which prison people go to.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I'm sure there are a litany of problems with the way law enforcement treats trans people, but it isn't really up to them which prison people go to.

There are gender separated holding cells at police stations, and which one do you think they put the transwomen in?

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

There are gender separated holding cells at police stations, and which one do you think they put the transwomen in?

Ouch, of course. Thank you for correcting me.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

The ditch out back after raping and beating us to death

And the men's if we're lucky

• Options
    Man this ladys look is ON POINT. I am gonna chat with her about hair and makeup and...

Screenshot_2015-02-21-22-02-33_zps2l1fw8ex.jpg

...oh

This discussion has been closed.