As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Unstable Portal RNG is more powerful with the generally weaker removal options in limited. I'm 99% sure they don't even think about Arena balance when they make cards.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Unstable Portal RNG is more powerful with the generally weaker removal options in limited. I'm 99% sure they don't even think about Arena balance when they make cards.

In this case that's not true. There is no 3 mana removal for a 6/6 that gets played in constructed. In arena he at least has a chance to be running owl which is the best possible answer here. Druid wouldn't touch owl with a 30 foot pole in constructed.

RNG is just a vengeful god.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I spent 20 minutes playing a game so I could lose to unstable portal->al akir

but I guess it's really exciting for the people playing so that makes it fair and balanced somehow

I bet my opponent was super happy! it no longer mattered how he played to that point, it only mattered that he randomly got a game winning card. believe it or not, in that moment, I didn't care that sometimes he gets a shitty minion. I don't think it's good or interesting or remotely fun for a card to randomly end games.

wah wah wah, sorry but it's really very frustrating especially after a game like that

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Card should just summon a random minion from your deck. Then the reduced cost is semi-fair.

But no, mages have to be fucking ridiculous.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Well, beginning of the new season and everyone has a Boom. I'm tempted to dust my golden malganis to also join the club because he just makes any deck, regardless of synergy or archetype, better. Reminds me of the season when everyone ran leeroy.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Start of the season always has the weirdest decks. Like a golden warrior playing
    Cleave (yeah ok, not the best tech but it is tech)
    Golden sludge belcher (so he has dust to spare)
    Harvest golem
    Arcanite reaper

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Card should just summon a random minion from your deck. Then the reduced cost is semi-fair.

I don't think this would work as mages would then only run Malygos, Antonidas and every spell. I'd like to see unstable portal somewhere between Bane of Doom (completely useless) and where it is now with a good chance of game-winning value, maybe by reducing the mana reduction? It could still lead to incredible results but would then be a tempo loss and more of a gamble.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    I will be hitting golden shaman this month. when I focused on it last month I got close to 100 wins.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

I don't think this would work as mages would then only run Malygos, Antonidas and every spell. I'd like to see unstable portal somewhere between Bane of Doom (completely useless) and where it is now with a good chance of game-winning value, maybe by reducing the mana reduction? It could still lead to incredible results but would then be a tempo loss and more of a gamble.

This was exactly my thought. "Oh god only picking from my deck would be AMAAAAZING." You also forgot Alexstrasza. Although maybe you don't need one if you have on demand Malygos/Antonidas.

Honestly I'd rather they just remove Unstable Portal at this point in the game. That's as a mage player who kept a golden one. It would reduce the ridiculous amounts of salt (although honestly, everyone will find something else to complain about), and I'd rather have a card that is good and has synergy in some other deck than being completely random and useless for most of mine.

I think Hearthstone is just a complaint machine. There was ZERO downtime between undertaker and mech mage complaints. If they nerfed unstable, mech mage, and Dr. Boom, everyone would probably complain about control warrior again or something.

• Options
    No competitive game will exist without complaints

• Options
    Variable wrote: »
    No competitive game will exist without complaints

I mean in what sense though? I doubt there are real complaints about the way poker is balanced among serious players.

"Fucking straight flush is imbalanced. I played a great hand and then RNGesus trololol I lose. Nerf straight flush."

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    You lose >$20 on a 2% draw and we will see if you complain about how the other person plays poker.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm at 7, hunter is at 5, he has bow and hero power of course, nothing on the board. I have a couple dudes out. Slow plays his turn and says "my apologies" a couple times. Rope starts to burn and he hits me in the face, hero powers me, and says "my apologies" again, and starts mousing over a card in his hand suggestively a couple times.

Rope hits, passes the turn. PING FIREBALL FUCK YOU DUDE. I wonder how many people would have insta conceded on the first bm emote.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The second an opponent emotes in a way I perceive to be bm (literally 90% of ways one might use emotes) they get squelched, so.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    The second an opponent emotes in a way I perceive to be bm (literally 90% of ways one might use emotes) they get squelched, so.

He hadn't emoted at all before this so it probably would have been effective even if that was your policy. I mean, if you are the kind of person who would just concede after getting the sorry emote like that.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Is the game being super wonky for anyone right now?

Tons of lag between menus and even between moves. It's never been this bad for me before.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    I would only concede there if I felt like I was losing anyway. Like, if he still had most of his health, my board and hand were weak, and his deck is the sort that runs a lot of burst. But never on a turn where I'll win if he doesn't.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »

He hadn't emoted at all before this so it probably would have been effective even if that was your policy. I mean, if you are the kind of person who would just concede after getting the sorry emote like that.

I would tab back, squelch and tab away again. I am very good at counting to 30, if I didn't concede during my own turn I'm not gonna concede during theirs.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

Tons of lag between menus and even between moves. It's never been this bad for me before.

I couldn't log in. Servers aren't happy at the moment I guess...

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I'm finally in and it's running OK.

They must've turned it off and on again.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    I finally reinstalled on my phone only for another update to hit :P

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I always make my opponent prove they have lethal out of hand. If they have it on the board, I'll GG and concede.
    Variable wrote: »
    I will be hitting golden shaman this month. when I focused on it last month I got close to 100 wins.

I might be able to hit Golden Shaman too. Looking over my total, I need to squeeze in another 497 wins! :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »

I couldn't log in. Servers aren't happy at the moment I guess...

New season + a sunday = ....

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    I've been thinking about how to change the effects of Unstable Portal based on the amount of comments I'm reading here. While I think the card can single-handedly win games (power Legendaries etc), I also believe it also has a lot of neutral to unfavorable plays too. Problem is that we focus too much on the WTF card plays and not enough on the Amani Berzerker and such draws.

That being said, my change would be a very slight one:

Unstable Portal
    Add a random non-Legendary minion to your hand. It costs (3) less.

This still give the card chances at pulling strong minions (Sunwalker, Savannah Highmane, Ironbark, etc) without giving those rage-inducing Legendary cards. I can accept that Legendary cards are meant to be powerful, which is why you can only include 1 in each deck.

Thoughts? Cool? Sucky? Not a big enough change?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Lets just make the card wording more accurate with portal and call it a day.

Unstable Portal
    You have a 30% to instantly win the game, otherwise, gain two mana crystals next turn only.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I'm at 7, hunter is at 5, he has bow and hero power of course, nothing on the board. I have a couple dudes out. Slow plays his turn and says "my apologies" a couple times. Rope starts to burn and he hits me in the face, hero powers me, and says "my apologies" again, and starts mousing over a card in his hand suggestively a couple times.

Rope hits, passes the turn. PING FIREBALL FUCK YOU DUDE. I wonder how many people would have insta conceded on the first bm emote.

Yeah there's loads of funny videos with people conceding in won positions, so nice job calling the bluff.

I had a really weird incidence of (maybe?!) gamesmanship earlier. I was in a control warrior mirror match where we both had like 50 life. His board was clear and I had a couple of armoursmiths, a belcher and an acolyte. My opponent just went afk for 4 turns while I wailed on him slowly.

When I didn't play anything else down, or he came back, he brawled. I wasn't sure if he was pretending to be afk to get maximum brawl value but it's an amusing idea.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So, has everyone seen the next set of alleged leaked cards?
    Chimaeron - 8 mana 8/7 neutral legendary
    When you draw this, change the health of ALL minions to 1.

Blackwing Technician - 4 man 2/4 neutral minion
    Minions that cost 5 or more cannot be played.

Hourglass Sand - ? mana mage spell
    Your opponent only has 5 seconds to take his or her next turn.

Mind Quickening - 5 mana mage spell
    You can use your hero power once during your opponent's next turn.

Aligns with the next datamined adventure. Some of the mechanics seem VERY suspect (especially that last one) but then again, people thought Gallywix and Iron Juggernaut were ridiculously fake as well when they were leaked.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think those are legit whatsoever. Blackwing Tech would be the most "anti-fun" card made in the game and is highly suspect as a permanent effect, the Hourglass card's time limit is ludicrously low (see: Nozdormu), and I'm pretty sure Mind Quickening's effect is literally impossible to implement the way the game currently functions.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Blackwing Tech would be kind of interesting if it acted more like Nerubian Weblord--5+ mana minions cost 2 more to play. Screw up a druid's curve, completely lock out Alex/Ysera/Cenarius/Grom+Taskmaster.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I could see it work if it was a Loatheb effect, 'Battlecry: Enemy minions cost (6) more next turn.' There's a lot of fakes out though, so I'm not particularly convinced.

Carnarvon on
  • Options

Yeah there's loads of funny videos with people conceding in won positions, so nice job calling the bluff.

I had a really weird incidence of (maybe?!) gamesmanship earlier. I was in a control warrior mirror match where we both had like 50 life. His board was clear and I had a couple of armoursmiths, a belcher and an acolyte. My opponent just went afk for 4 turns while I wailed on him slowly.

When I didn't play anything else down, or he came back, he brawled. I wasn't sure if he was pretending to be afk to get maximum brawl value but it's an amusing idea.

A warrior did this to me once and then came back and double mortal striked me to death

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't think those are legit whatsoever. Blackwing Tech would be the most "anti-fun" card made in the game and is highly suspect as a permanent effect, the Hourglass card's time limit is ludicrously low (see: Nozdormu), and I'm pretty sure Mind Quickening's effect is literally impossible to implement the way the game currently functions.
    Blackwing wouldn't be a permanent effect, it would be card text like weblord. Hourglass and mind quickening could be real as pve cards only.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I mean permanently active on the board, in comparison to a battlecry like Loatheb. A card that flat out says "all these cards can NEVER BE PLAYED" is not something that strikes me the Hearthstone devs would want to do, particularly on a minion with high enough toughness to not be taken out by removal easily. And 5+ mana guys are a way wider range than their usual hate cards, as well.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I mean permanently active on the board, in comparison to a battlecry like Loatheb. A card that flat out says "all these cards can NEVER BE PLAYED" is not something that strikes me the Hearthstone devs would want to do, particularly on a minion with high enough toughness to not be taken out by removal easily. And 5+ mana guys are a way wider range than their usual hate cards, as well.

That's why I said to move it to the mana increase like the Weblord. Battlecry is actually a really wide hate area, too, and the weblord has the same durability for 2 less mana.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've been thinking about how to change the effects of Unstable Portal based on the amount of comments I'm reading here. While I think the card can single-handedly win games (power Legendaries etc), I also believe it also has a lot of neutral to unfavorable plays too. Problem is that we focus too much on the WTF card plays and not enough on the Amani Berzerker and such draws.

Unstable Portal

This still give the card chances at pulling strong minions (Sunwalker, Savannah Highmane, Ironbark, etc) without giving those rage-inducing Legendary cards. I can accept that Legendary cards are meant to be powerful, which is why you can only include 1 in each deck.

I mean, its not like turn 3 Boulderfist is much better.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there have been a huge glut of fake leaks on the hearthstone reddit lately, i would take every leak you hear about for the next week with an even bigger grain of salt than usual

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Unstable Portal

I mean, its not like turn 3 Boulderfist is much better.

True, but at least it wouldn't be as rage-inducing or completely game breaking.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Got a 10-3 with Druid (double Nourish + Ancient of War + triple Druid of the Claw, basically, though I had some other good stuff; no Swipe though!). Last two losses were to the same Mage. Boo. First one he just had a stupid strong curve from 4+ of Water Elemental -> Silver Hand Knight -> Sea Giant -> Violet Teacher + Frost Bolt -> Flamestrike and I'm dead. Second time we were even I was maybe slightly ahead on board, had a 5/4 Piloted Shredder and 6/5 Tallstrider against three of his dudes which were a bit smaller. Unfortunately his last two cards were Foe Reaper and Frost Bolt to kill the Tallstrider with the Squire. Didn't have any of my four ways of dealing with the Reaper so it pretty much finished me.

Favorite game though was against a Priest who had a Piloted Shredder of his own, buffed it with Dark Cultist death rattle, then Velen's Chosen and PW:S. I had no silence and was pretty convinced that thing was going to rule the day. Got the final buff on turn 7, I finally killed it when we both had 9 cards left in deck. But I had kept all his other crap off the board and it turned out I had higher card quality overall and my second Nourish meant I saw more than he did. That Shredder survived for like 10 turns, but I played enough stuff that he couldn't hit my face with it.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    this does remind me how exciting it's gonna be to see the new cards, I must say

but I am on Assume Fake Til Announcement mode

• Options
    Man, you know what?! Take back everything I said about Unstable Portal!
    THAT CARD IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!

gpt57rf9ed1z.png

47vtm387r1tz.png

LOL!!!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.