Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So TMNT just had a massive episode, the next to last of season 4. To set the stage on this one, just know that earlier in the season, Shredder mutated into a deliberate homage to TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze's Super Shredder. His mutation made him both physically and mentally unstable until this episode, where Stockman Fly finally got it right.

I'm gonna go into spoilers for those who are interested in watching it for themselves, but here's an important scene reference to remember. The new show LOVES making references, mostly to other Turtles stuff, but also to anything it finds amusing, such as Big Trouble in Little China, Chuck Norris, or The Herculoids.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40fz6l
    When the Turtles first fought Shredder, they made a ton of callbacks to the first TMNT movie, such as not knowing who the guy was and underestimating his threat. Since then, there's been tons of fights. But this is the biggie. The Turtle extended gang is split into two groups to chase down the Shredder's group and Splinter, Raph, April, Casey, and Slash face Shredder atop the same building where they first fought him back in season 1. Raph and Slash are taken out of the fight and Casey falls off the building entirely, but manages to use a grapple gun to slow his fall instead of falling to his death. April fails to slow Shredder down and calls the other half of the team for help. Splinter makes some headway and forces Shredder off the roof... but Shredder immediately climbs back on and impales Splinter, Bullseye style. He then tosses him off the building where he falls... all the way down. Yeah... Splinter is super dead. April gets a rage psychic strength boost and pushes Shredder off the roof again, this time he falls all the way down as well, into the back of a garbage truck. Casey immediately turns on the compactor, with an ice cold "Oops." That's uh... kind of a big deal for this high school version of Casey.

The end of the episode shows Super Shredder escaping, natch. I really wonder where the finale is going to take this, this time. Last time Splinter died, the gang pulled a Superman and got went back in time to prevent that whole situation. I kind of feel like he's gonna stay dead this time.

Tl;dr the current Turtles show continues to be the best, most consistently delivering version of the series.
    ...You know, for kids...
    I think it would have had a lot more impact if this wasn't like the fourth or fifth time the Turtles thought Splinter dead in this series.
    Sure, the sepia flashback montage drove it home that this time it might stick, and we did see a body. But... I still don't see them killing off a main character here.
    On the other hand, it was really heavy handed with the foreshadowing early on in the episode. So, who knows?

Yes...
    They have played this card a couple of times already. Notably, with Splinter falling in the finale to season 1 and then washing up with a memory loss in season 2, Splinter actually being killed... by a back stab in season 3 and then the Earth being destroyed just to hammer home that he really was dead, but then they went back in time and fixed that whole situation. Finally, the first fight against Super Shredder had them both plummeting down a massive chasm and just kind of surviving because why not.

BUT this episode was called Requiem and Splinter has been in kind of a "zen accepting my death if it comes soon" state since that Super Shredder fight earlier. He took Leo aside and said he was gonna be the overall leader, not just the battle team leader sooner than later. And yeah, sepia flashbacks and dead body rather than just "he's probably going to die from this!" Ultimately, the Turtles can't keep leaning on Splinter to defeat Shredder for them, the mentor's gotta die or at least stop being the trump card in martial arts series. I'm interested to see the team sans mentor, especially since they've all grown a ton since the Northampton arc where this last happened. April is a full member of the team finally! Karai is hopefully done for good with being kidnapped or mind controlled or disappeared with brain damage! Casey has been the least useless this season he's ever been!

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    So TMNT just had a massive episode, the next to last of season 4. To set the stage on this one, just know that earlier in the season, Shredder mutated into a deliberate homage to TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze's Super Shredder. His mutation made him both physically and mentally unstable until this episode, where Stockman Fly finally got it right.

I'm gonna go into spoilers for those who are interested in watching it for themselves, but here's an important scene reference to remember. The new show LOVES making references, mostly to other Turtles stuff, but also to anything it finds amusing, such as Big Trouble in Little China, Chuck Norris, or The Herculoids.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40fz6l
    When the Turtles first fought Shredder, they made a ton of callbacks to the first TMNT movie, such as not knowing who the guy was and underestimating his threat. Since then, there's been tons of fights. But this is the biggie. The Turtle extended gang is split into two groups to chase down the Shredder's group and Splinter, Raph, April, Casey, and Slash face Shredder atop the same building where they first fought him back in season 1. Raph and Slash are taken out of the fight and Casey falls off the building entirely, but manages to use a grapple gun to slow his fall instead of falling to his death. April fails to slow Shredder down and calls the other half of the team for help. Splinter makes some headway and forces Shredder off the roof... but Shredder immediately climbs back on and impales Splinter, Bullseye style. He then tosses him off the building where he falls... all the way down. Yeah... Splinter is super dead. April gets a rage psychic strength boost and pushes Shredder off the roof again, this time he falls all the way down as well, into the back of a garbage truck. Casey immediately turns on the compactor, with an ice cold "Oops." That's uh... kind of a big deal for this high school version of Casey.

The end of the episode shows Super Shredder escaping, natch. I really wonder where the finale is going to take this, this time. Last time Splinter died, the gang pulled a Superman and got went back in time to prevent that whole situation. I kind of feel like he's gonna stay dead this time.

Tl;dr the current Turtles show continues to be the best, most consistently delivering version of the series.
    ...You know, for kids...
    I think it would have had a lot more impact if this wasn't like the fourth or fifth time the Turtles thought Splinter dead in this series.
    Sure, the sepia flashback montage drove it home that this time it might stick, and we did see a body. But... I still don't see them killing off a main character here.
    On the other hand, it was really heavy handed with the foreshadowing early on in the episode. So, who knows?

Yes...
    They have played this card a couple of times already. Notably, with Splinter falling in the finale to season 1 and then washing up with a memory loss in season 2, Splinter actually being killed... by a back stab in season 3 and then the Earth being destroyed just to hammer home that he really was dead, but then they went back in time and fixed that whole situation. Finally, the first fight against Super Shredder had them both plummeting down a massive chasm and just kind of surviving because why not.

BUT this episode was called Requiem and Splinter has been in kind of a "zen accepting my death if it comes soon" state since that Super Shredder fight earlier. He took Leo aside and said he was gonna be the overall leader, not just the battle team leader sooner than later. And yeah, sepia flashbacks and dead body rather than just "he's probably going to die from this!" Ultimately, the Turtles can't keep leaning on Splinter to defeat Shredder for them, the mentor's gotta die or at least stop being the trump card in martial arts series. I'm interested to see the team sans mentor, especially since they've all grown a ton since the Northampton arc where this last happened. April is a full member of the team finally! Karai is hopefully done for good with being kidnapped or mind controlled or disappeared with brain damage! Casey has been the least useless this season he's ever been!
    Could this how they set up the reappearance of that time wizard lady that Mickey was crushing on two seasons ago and how they end up meeting Usagi, because I've heard they are bringing him into the show?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Adult Swim Rick Rolls their own fans:

https://youtu.be/r0IwfHdO36Y

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Damn does that look good. So perfectly Samurai Jack.

This miniseries is gonna melt faces.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

There are no doubt kids out there going "This is the greatest crossover evar!!!".

And I don't understand them one bit.

Getting old sucks. :(

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

There are no doubt kids out there going "This is the greatest crossover evar!!!".

It's lazy is what it is. The characters barely interact and it all takes place in one setting. Timmy doesn't even have a reaction to his Godparents being vacuumed up for example.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Whatever that is looks worse than the Saturday Morning anti-drug ad from ye olden times

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I was gonna reply to it earlier but I was too... dumbfounded? nonplused? a word that means astonished and my soul dying a little bit from having watched it...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

You didn't recognize any of them? Hey guys, check out this old here. He doesn't know who Danny Phantom is.

Do you know who Kim Possible is, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvunR1gyS98

Hey Disney, make a movie series and/or Netflix live action series of this!

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm more confused as to why Danny Phantom is a thing again.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    So Justice League Action got the Sonic Boom/Transformers RID death time slot. The premier special seemed decent enough.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Whatever that is looks worse than the Saturday Morning anti-drug ad from ye olden times

To be fair, that's a high bar.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Just saw the JRPG episode of Gumball.

They pretty much nailed everything about the genre.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    So Justice League Action got the Sonic Boom/Transformers RID death time slot. The premier special seemed decent enough.

Quite sad, aye. It got that slot from the beginning, and aside from a Happy Meal toy didn't seem to get an ounce of promotion from Cartoon Network.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

But is it a shitty live-action version of itself?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Quite sad, aye. It got that slot from the beginning, and aside from a Happy Meal toy didn't seem to get an ounce of promotion from Cartoon Network.

Somebody at WB really really wants Cartoon Network to carry DC property cartoons, and somebody at Cartoon Network really really doesn't want them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Somebody at WB really really wants Cartoon Network to carry DC property cartoons, and somebody at Cartoon Network really really doesn't want them.

If they carried more DC property cartoons, that might cut into their Teen Titans blocks.

• Options
    as much as I hate to say it. I think this golden age for animation is coming to a close.
    I mean yea, we still got Steven Universe, some Adventure Time left, Sam Jack's miniseries Series Finale, and SvtFoE, and a few other pretty good shows I can't name off the top of my head. But we might need to start prepping and bracing for the next year's dark age and TV wasteland.

I don't know who is running the programming block on CN, but unless he is the CEO, he needs to be fired. I've counted 8+hours of TTG per day on multiple days last week so that chart that gets posted is pretty accurate even if satirical. Like, I don't even watch the channel anymore save the episode of SU on fridays.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

If they carried more DC property cartoons, that might cut into their Teen Titans blocks.

Well, except Uncle GrandpaTeen Titans Go. They love that shit. Anything else DC they strangle in season 1, or try to outright bury in season 2.

• Options
    as much as I hate to say it. I think this golden age for animation is coming to a close.
    I mean yea, we still got Steven Universe, some Adventure Time left, Sam Jack's miniseries Series Finale, and SvtFoE, and a few other pretty good shows I can't name off the top of my head. But we might need to start prepping and bracing for the next year's dark age and TV wasteland.

I don't know who is running the programming block on CN, but unless he is the CEO, he needs to be fired. I've counted 8+hours of TTG per day on multiple days last week so that chart that gets posted is pretty accurate even if satirical. Like, I don't even watch the channel anymore save the episode of SU on fridays.

Nah. Great original stuff keeps coming out. We just need to be used to it being disappointingly short is all.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I didn't even know Justice League Action was airing yet.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    What are the viewing habits of kids these days? Are they actually watching a variety on streaming services/apps so the networks just fill old fashioned TV airtime with the most popular shows?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    What are the viewing habits of kids these days? Are they actually watching a variety on streaming services/apps so the networks just fill old fashioned TV airtime with the most popular shows?

From watching the nephews, it seems largely streaming stuff with some DVR tossed in.
    Mileage may vary depending on presence of tablets/wifi though.

see317 on
  • Options
    Well, I know kids are somehow familiar with anime like Attack on Titan despite there not being much of an anime presence on TV anymore.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I don't see it. That's several already and Netflix has at least a few more excellent series like Bojack and Voltron.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Well, I know kids are somehow familiar with anime like Attack on Titan despite there not being much of an anime presence on TV anymore.

It's on Netflix. I think people underestimate how much kids are getting toons from streaming these days.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I don't see it. That's several already and Netflix has at least a few more excellent series like Bojack and Voltron.

You can add Trollhunters to that list.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I imagine a large percentage of the Crunchyroll user base is kids.

• Options
    For some reason I always underestimate how Internet savvy kids are. I know I was surprised to learn that Minecraft was popular with kids a few years back; I had assumed only nerds who live on the Internet (like myself) knew it existed.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    CN only seems to think they air Teen Titans Go and Gumball, and occasionally remembers that they have We Bare Bears. Other shows may as well not exist for reruns, though they do remember to advertise new Steven Universe.

• Options
    CN only seems to think they air Teen Titans Go and Gumball, and occasionally remembers that they have We Bare Bears. Other shows may as well not exist for reruns, though they do remember to advertise new Steven Universe.

I think it might be tied to how much more continuity focused SU is. Titans and Gumball are more episodic in nature and are probably easier to air in any order.

Though god knows one can't rule out personal politics either.

• Options
    it'd be pretty easy to keep up with steven universe if you aired it in huge chunks like titans go does.
    it doesn't stop Adult Swim from airing Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad, etc. in production order either even though *they* are not continuity focused at all.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options

My best guess would be Sam Register, he worked on Teen Titans TAS.

• Options
    it'd be pretty easy to keep up with steven universe if you aired it in huge chunks like titans go does.
    it doesn't stop Adult Swim from airing Family Guy, King of the Hill, American Dad, etc. in production order either even though *they* are not continuity focused at all.

Of course they don't. There's no reason to show them out of order outside of special occasions. I agree it'd be easier to keep up with SU if they aired it more often but the easiest option is going to be airing the popular, less story arc focused stuff.

That and I'd be willing to bet that an executive somewhere finally figured out that it's a show about a kid being raised by his three gay space moms and probably wants to keep it minimized.

• Options

Of course they don't. There's no reason to show them out of order outside of special occasions. I agree it'd be easier to keep up with SU if they aired it more often but the easiest option is going to be airing the popular, less story arc focused stuff.

That and I'd be willing to bet that an executive somewhere finally figured out that it's a show about a kid being raised by his three gay space moms and probably wants to keep it minimized.

How much influence does the guy who controls Adult Swim have on the channel?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

How much influence does the guy who controls Adult Swim have on the channel?

Mike Lazzo?
    He pretty much does whatever he wants. I doubt he has much pull on the main network

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SU isn't getting much airtime but I sincerely doubt it's hurting a lot for it. The show's fan base is big and beyond that near every single fan is virtually obsessed with the show. They're guaranteed the rest of this season and one more at least. I'm sure they'll be fine.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Eh, i think the last golden age died with the end of Justice League.. There have been a few great shows like SU, but a few does not make an Age.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum