Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    FYI and perhaps warning, a bunch of upcoming Steven Universe episodes were accidentally uploaded and made available for a while on Cartoon Network's site and app.

So... they and spoilers are out there roaming in the wild.

I still don't get how this happens, like when Nickelodeon accidentally dumped a good chunk of The Legend of Korra (separate from the time when hackers were able to force a bunch of episodes out of them).

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    FYI and perhaps warning, a bunch of upcoming Steven Universe episodes were accidentally uploaded and made available for a while on Cartoon Network's site and app.

I still don't get how this happens, like when Nickelodeon accidentally dumped a good chunk of The Legend of Korra (separate from the time when hackers were able to force a bunch of episodes out of them).

Someone set it for Jan instead of Feb or something like that. I can relate.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The weird thing is they left them on there for hours.

Hell, one of them is still on there.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Quid wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The weird thing is they left them on there for hours.

Hell, one of them is still on there.
    CN has done this with TTG, Gumball, Regular Show, and the new PPG. It's not a mistake.

Buzz for the new episodes without a marketing campaign.

Die hard fans might run into spoilers but they're already die hard fans. So there's little to lose and publicity to gain.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Rebels mid season trailer?
    Don't mind if I do.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upN-7ALj2OU

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    In case you're wondering what the hell is going on with Cars 3, the answer is YOU PESKY MILLENNIALS GET OFF MY LAWN *shakes fist*

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/05/cars-3-first-look/

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cars 3.

*sigh*

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Armie Hammer voicing the bad guy? Really? Really? Although him being the spoiled newcomer antagonist might be a bit meta by Pixar since the guy comes from a billion dollar family.

Seems less Cars 3 and more The Next Karate Kid.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case you're wondering what the hell is going on with Cars 3, the answer is YOU PESKY MILLENNIALS GET OFF MY LAWN *shakes fist*

This guy is not only a douche baby boomer but he doesnt know cars canon.

The first movie starts with Mcqueen being driven to a race.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Ughhhhh

I was vaguely interested in Cars 3 after that teaser but fuck off pixar.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    To be fair that premise is still infinitely better than "Mater's now the main character and he's an international super spy for some reason."

• Options

This guy is not only a douche baby boomer but he doesnt know cars canon.

The first movie starts with Mcqueen being driven to a race.

No no, see, then he was a young up and comer. Now he's a respected racer and this jerk kid who thinks he can win has shown up.

Totally different.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Just watch Secret Life of Pets (my wife really wanted to watch it). It was surprisingly better than I expected. It had me laughing consistently and really hard in a few parts. It helped that at a couple points out dog got off her bed and walked over to the TV and started watching it intently.

There is one weird part near the end though where there is product placement for Universal's next movie, Sing, which was kind of weird.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Just watch Secret Life of Pets (my wife really wanted to watch it). It was surprisingly better than I expected. It had me laughing consistently and really hard in a few parts.

There is one weird part near the end though where there is product placement for Universal's next movie, Sing, which was kind of weird.

Sing was also made by Illumination.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    To be fair that premise is still infinitely better than "Mater's now the main character and he's an international super spy for some reason."

Honestly, I have found that the sheer inexplicable nature of Cars 2 has really endeared it to me, actually. Until the last ten minutes or so when it becomes genuinely insufferable and preachy.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Cars 2 actually does some good work with Mater's character and is more or less alright until the last Act. At that point they seem to run out of time or something, went "Oh shit, we need to wrap this up," and then everything stops making sense and it's just a huge shitshow.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Cars 2 actually does some good work with Mater's character and is more or less alright until the last Act. At that point they seem to run out of time or something, went "Oh shit, we need to wrap this up," and then everything stops making sense and it's just a huge shitshow.

I thought the world building re: oil and the Cars' dependency on it was confusing, and also the bad guy's motivation was confusing. So eccentric billionaire car survives running out of gas and converts himself to electric - only he doesn't, he fakes that - and creates a new fuel to replace oil. And then he's connected to a cartel which have discovered a huge new oil well so welp gotta discredit this fuel so I can make money on that. Was it all an act? Was he sincere but changed his mind? Why waste all that money on developing the new fuel and then make an elaborate scheme to discredit it? Wouldn't marketing your oil be cheaper?

And yeah Mater has a bit of introspection about his character but the climax completely validates his previous decisions without having to grow or change at all.

These questions have been bugging me for five years.

• Options
    The main problem with Cars is that the world doesn't make a lick of sense if you think about it at all, even if you're totally on board with the concept of living cars.

Which applies to Cars 2 doubly so.

• Options
    The main problem with Cars is that the world doesn't make a lick of sense if you think about it at all, even if you're totally on board with the concept of living cars.

Reminds me of one of those parallel worlds in Rick and Morty where they just make X a living thing and laugh at the implications of that.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Reminds me of one of those parallel worlds in Rick and Morty where they just make X a living thing and laugh at the implications of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpSWm7bOM4

I really need to catch up on Rick and Morty.

Deans on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

I thought the world building re: oil and the Cars' dependency on it was confusing, and also the bad guy's motivation was confusing. So eccentric billionaire car survives running out of gas and converts himself to electric - only he doesn't, he fakes that - and creates a new fuel to replace oil. And then he's connected to a cartel which have discovered a huge new oil well so welp gotta discredit this fuel so I can make money on that. Was it all an act? Was he sincere but changed his mind? Why waste all that money on developing the new fuel and then make an elaborate scheme to discredit it? Wouldn't marketing your oil be cheaper?

And yeah Mater has a bit of introspection about his character but the climax completely validates his previous decisions without having to grow or change at all.

These questions have been bugging me for five years.

I fully agree: all of those objections take root in the last act shitshow I mentioned. The reveal there retroactively fucks over the rest of the movie by making it into complete nonsense. It turns the bad guys from extremely competent villains who are getting revenge on a racist/abelist society and are willing to torture and murder their enemies into a group of bumbling idiots following a byzantine plot revolving around pure greed who are willing to set up elaborate traps and multi-step plans instead of just getting the job done. All of that bad storytelling overpowers the confusing world building, which would definitely be the worst thing about the movie if it hadn't dropped the ball and the end so badly.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Disney/Marvel's debuting a new Spider-Man cartoon this summer and it seems to be a different show than Ultimate. So far no footage just a short teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYJHHKsT2M

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I saw that commercial while watching rebels the other day, I assumed it was still Ultimate since it sounded like Drake Bell.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Supposedly it's a reboot, but that doesn't mean that Bell wouldn't reprise the part.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/10/08/exclusive-new-marvel-spider-man-animated-series/91775698/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It's not Spectacular.

My Spec Spidey is dead.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's not Spectacular.

My Spec Spidey is dead.

Spec Spidey was never going to be revived. Such is how canceled shows end, when new owners get the rights.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It's not Spectacular.

My Spec Spidey is dead.

Spec Spidey was never going to be revived. Such is how canceled shows end, when new owners get the rights.

Young Justice is getting at least a 3rd season. It's not completely out of the question

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    It's not Spectacular.

My Spec Spidey is dead.

Young Justice is getting at least a 3rd season. It's not completely out of the question

Nah. Spec Spidey's rights are tied up with Sony I believe. Also, key people on Spec Spidey went on to Young Justice, so as long as that's spasming with new life, Spec Spidey's double deader than dead.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    It's not Spectacular.

My Spec Spidey is dead.

Nah. Spec Spidey's rights are tied up with Sony I believe. Also, key people on Spec Spidey went on to Young Justice, so as long as that's spasming with new life, Spec Spidey's double deader than dead.

Spec wasn't coming back in any rush when that got canceled either, YJ is a huge exception. Spec is dead.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    oh hey, cartoon hangover is finally releasing Bravest Warriors Season 3. only the first episode will be on youtube. every episode thereafter is on this VRV app. subscribers get episodes first, then 30days later its shown to everyone with adverts. :p
    kinda redonks, but considering how youtube is anti-animation with their payscale. I don't know how else animators are to work besides doing 2minute chunks like for game grumps or patreon or whatever...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxPqmy-S4Y

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Looks like Samurai Jack is being shown from the beginning on Adult Swim at 8:30 PM. Hopefully they'll go into new episodes once they've gone through the series.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of cartoon network. Regular Show ends this coming week.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    yeah, and they're really meta about it.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wow. Just saw this week's episode.

Yeah, they went full on meta.

• Options
    I'm weirdly okay with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lego Batman sells out. Or he would if he wasn't stopped by his sheer immaturity awesomeness.

https://youtu.be/Ezm-VUI4PpA

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wow. Just saw this week's episode.

Yeah, they went full on meta.

And the series finale is on tonight.
    Cool to see another series I liked reach it's finale. Sad to see it end though.

• Options
    Huh, they're moving Teen Titans Go to the Friday Night slot, i wonder if it too has passed the inversion point and is heading towards the end. Hard to tell with CN, since Fridays used to be their premier event.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Huh, they're moving Teen Titans Go to the Friday Night slot, i wonder if it too has passed the inversion point and is heading towards the end. Hard to tell with CN, since Fridays used to be their premier event.

I doubt CN knows either. It seems like they are trying to push some of their other shows. They have to know with Regular Show and Adventure Time ending they are going to lose a lot of steam as far as flagship shows go. While Gumball is fantastic I think it's far too late for it to cultivate a huge following. Clarence has been strong but suffers from the same problem.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Nice that Regular show got a proper finale. Surprised its been 7 years.