Options

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what took a chunk out of the planet. I guess that was the Mushroom War?
    Yeah theres a few plot threads that need addressed
    Furn and the grass curse
    Betty/simon
    Sweet pea
    How did Finn survive the trip to Ooo
    Jakes origins
    and how all of that leads to the desolate future that they've shown us. The planet is dying, the Candy Kingdom abandoned with the candy people in storage, and the Treehouse has grown up to space.
    Oh and there's the "madness and sadness" afflicting the magical world.
    I think we can infer Fern is involved with the tree. We know humans thrive again because Bravest warriors isbimpliec yo be in the future of AT
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    I thought Jake's origin was explained?
    His dad got impregnated by a shapeshifting demon and gave birth to him. His mother isn't biological.

We know how. Not why.
    Though I maintain the following
    Jake is a reincarnated Martin.
    The catalyst comet was the monster and Martins path to redemption and spiritual fufillment involves becoming his Sons best friend

That's awesome and speaking of
    I find it hard to believe the Martin in Islands is the one we see later in the show. They're both grifters sure, but Islands Martin was prepared to sacrifice his life for his family, and Present Martin doesn't care in the slightest about the son he lost actually being alive.

I guess maybe he got super messed up after losing Finn and felt unable to go back to Minerva, so he wandered until becoming an irredeemable knob? Might be too sad for an episode if that's the case, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of him post-Islands/pre-Citadel.

It makes sense.
    Minerva caused Martin to change his nature. When he lost her, he retreated into his former self because that's the only way that's worked for him.
    Mhmm. To the point where even when he was offered a chance to go back to his better time by his own flesh and blood, he was too far gone to do anything but run from it.

Yeah, that's too sad for an episode.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Steven Universe Spoilers
    Pearl says in the first Kindergarten episode that Amethyst was "the only good thing to come out of this terrible place."

Cut to these recent episodes with all the super friendly Earth Kindergarten gems.

I assume they fought in the war, but they don't seem to have any real loyalty to their leaders.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Steven Universe Spoilers
    Pearl says in the first Kindergarten episode that Amethyst was "the only good thing to come out of this terrible place."

Cut to these recent episodes with all the super friendly Earth Kindergarten gems.

I assume they fought in the war, but they don't seem to have any real loyalty to their leaders.

Well...
    They were made by/for Pink Diamond, so that might be why.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Here's the latest episode of Gotham Cribs, with Batman Bruce Wayne Batman showing off Wayne Manor.

https://youtu.be/WkOwqr9N5pE

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Steven Universe Spoilers

Well...

Also
    As far as gem society is concerned theyre flawed and worthless and yellow implies they should have been shattered

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man I hate leaks

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Steven Universe Spoilers

Well...

Also
    As far as gem society is concerned theyre flawed and worthless and yellow implies they should have been shattered
    I think that was specifically about the Rose Quartz cut of gems.

If Jasper is any indication, they still use soldiers that were made under Pink Diamond's reign, but a gem from a specific Diamond doesn't necessarily care as much about the other Diamonds. Maybe Amethyst-types are just naturally goofy when they aren't directed by a higher ranking gem.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Another extremely brief promo for Samurai Jack:

https://youtu.be/QKD6Pp0yqx0

I'm kind of amazed the premiere is so close and yet we've seen so little.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Not really feeling Regular Show In Space. I'm about 10 episodes in, it feels less than earlier seasons somehow. Gonna power through, cause I've seen positive response to the finale, but it's tough!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Another extremely brief promo for Samurai Jack:

https://youtu.be/QKD6Pp0yqx0

I'm kind of amazed the premiere is so close and yet we've seen so little.

Behind the times, here's an actual trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSrv_n4tw7w
    Ooh, blood...

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    oh shit! unless that's hydraulic fluid, that's blood!

I shouldn't be so wow'ed by this, but Jack just jumped up to my top 3 on my radar.

edit** and then I watched the rest of the clip. yea, that's blood.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    oh shit! unless that's hydraulic fluid, that's blood!

I shouldn't be so wow'ed by this, but Jack just jumped up to my top 3 on my radar.
    Considering we see a dagger sticking out of Jack, I think we're well past the whole "everyone's a robot" thing

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they'll have an in-universe explanation for the sudden uptick in Aku's use of flesh-and-blood minions.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll have an in-universe explanation for the sudden uptick in Aku's use of flesh-and-blood minions.

15 years of Jack busting his robot armies up has caused his robot army factories to wear out well ahead of schedule.

• Options
    Jack's enemies have never been robots, his sword magically turns them into robots right before chopping them hrf hrf
    Is Aku a lady now?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Jack's enemies have never been robots, his sword magically turns them into robots right before chopping them hrf hrf
    Is Aku a lady now?
    I'm like 90 percent certain that Aku's been a lady before. Been a while since I watched the show though.
    But, when you're the shape shifting avatar of evil, you can be a lady when you want to be. Perks of the job.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Is Aku a lady now?
    I'm like 90 percent certain that Aku's been a lady before. Been a while since I watched the show though.
    But, when you're the shape shifting avatar of evil, you can be a lady when you want to be. Perks of the job.
    Aku has been disguised as ladies before to trick Jack, yeah. This looked different though. Sub-contracted Demon? Aku leveled up form? Some other kind of switch, since the original Aku voice has sadly passed away?

• Options
    Thro wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Is Aku a lady now?
    Aku has been disguised as ladies before to trick Jack, yeah. This looked different though. Sub-contracted Demon? Aku leveled up form? Some other kind of switch, since the original Aku voice has sadly passed away?
    Well, we got a new OG Aku laugh in the trailer, and Greg Baldwin stepped in to replace Mako in Avatar and one of the TMNT movies after he died. Did a good (though not 100%) job too. So a change isn't inevitable.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    On the newest TMNT, there's an explicit reference to the elevator beatboxing scene from the Bay TMNT movie. Only difference is, Raph immediately sucker punches Mikey for losing focus during a mission.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    No in the Bay movie all the Turtles get into it, I like this version from the cartoon much better.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    No in the Bay movie all the Turtles get into it, I like this version from the cartoon much better.

It fits better because in show Mikeys special talent is not focusing in battle

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    On the newest TMNT, there's an explicit reference to the elevator beatboxing scene from the Bay TMNT movie. Only difference is, Raph immediately sucker punches Mikey for losing focus during a mission.

Haha that's great, I love how this show often does references to TMNT things from other sources. My favorite is the pink electric seaweed from the nes games showing up in the space ocean episode.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Right, like I said, the difference is that in the show, Raph whacks him for goofing off.

And yes, the newest show is a master class in references and updates. My favorite being the episode where they have an adventure with the 80s Turtles who all have their OG voices because holy shit.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I only see the first three seasons available on Hulu. Is season 4 (is that the current season?) available on the nick website in its entirety?

• Options
    Brief interview with Kennedy Tartakovsky on Samurai Jack. The show's darker, but the general artistry and style will remain the same. And we'll get to see a familiar face one last time....

• Options
    Definitely looks darker and more mature, and I hope they don't go overboard with it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Finished Regular Show. The final episodes redeemed that season. Totally worth it for that ending. Got me good. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Started catching up with Clarence again. It's an insanely under-appreciated show.

"Worm Bin" is a very good episode that encapsulates a lot of what makes this show work.

• Options
    Much longer interview on Samurai Jack. Some big takeaways:

Tartakovsky never actually had the ending planned out until now.

Tyler Bates has replaced James Venable on music, though the two previously worked on Sym-Bionic Titan.

Yes, Greg Baldwin is now Aku. Brief situational spoiler on Aku:
    He's got everything he ever wanted especially since he destroyed all the time portals, but now he's as miserable as Jack is.

And then there's what Adult Swim did for the show, and the notes they gave:
    "It opened us up to violence, but that wasn't interesting to us. It really opened us up to storytelling opportunities. There is a death at one point, where Jack realizes that he's killed his first human. And that's an important thing early on. By episode five, I think people will see what we're doing with the story this season — and it is a full, single arc that tells a story — I think people will be surprised. It's not something anyone has ever tried to do in animation before."

"In the end, I would turn over these large packets of images to [Adult Swim head] Mike Lazzo,” Tartakovsky continued, “but a Samurai Jack book is like 500 pages? Punch, punch, punch, punch, here's a new location. So what I started doing for each episode was making recordings of myself pitching the episode. I'd make a video of me explaining it to Lazzo and send it over to him and he'd call me right back and say ‘Okay.’ But then I sent over the final episode and he didn't call. He didn't call for a long time, so I called him. And he said he wasn't going to watch it because he wanted to watch it on TV with everyone else; he didn't want it spoiled. No one believes more in a filmmaker's vision than Mike Lazzo."

So, uh, holy shit.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Started catching up with Clarence again. It's an insanely under-appreciated show.

"Worm Bin" is a very good episode that encapsulates a lot of what makes this show work.
    I really like "Rise and Shine" and "Puddle Eyes". But there are a lot of small moments within the show that really work. Its super delightful.

• Options
    Adult Swim did a thing on the music of Samurai Jack. Not only does it sound great, you'll get snippets of all kinds of scenes.

Looks like the robot beetles from the very first story make an appearance.

• Options
    Been about a year since Gravity Falls ended. Sure loved that show. Even though it's over, I wish there was some way to know what the characters are up to oh my what's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZwvVx4ND5Y

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Does season 7 of Adventure Time improve any? Finishing up 6 and it's been not great.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Does season 7 of Adventure Time improve any? Finishing up 6 and it's been not great.
    If six is the overly-philosophical one about Finn at the center of some prophecy thing, than yeah, it does.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It is. Thank god. I feel bad for a lot of kids that were probably even more bored than I was.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Season Six is great!

Jermaine, Little brother, Walnuts and Rain, Nemesis.

Lots of great new stuff plus a ton of continuity.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Season 6 really bears the mark of the new show runner at the time. Less childlike adventure and much more philosophical treatise.

• Options
    I didn't mind Season 6, sans "Breezy."

• Options
    So TMNT just had a massive episode, the next to last of season 4. To set the stage on this one, just know that earlier in the season, Shredder mutated into a deliberate homage to TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze's Super Shredder. His mutation made him both physically and mentally unstable until this episode, where Stockman Fly finally got it right.

I'm gonna go into spoilers for those who are interested in watching it for themselves, but here's an important scene reference to remember. The new show LOVES making references, mostly to other Turtles stuff, but also to anything it finds amusing, such as Big Trouble in Little China, Chuck Norris, or The Herculoids.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40fz6l
    When the Turtles first fought Shredder, they made a ton of callbacks to the first TMNT movie, such as not knowing who the guy was and underestimating his threat. Since then, there's been tons of fights. But this is the biggie. The Turtle extended gang is split into two groups to chase down the Shredder's group and Splinter, Raph, April, Casey, and Slash face Shredder atop the same building where they first fought him back in season 1. Raph and Slash are taken out of the fight and Casey falls off the building entirely, but manages to use a grapple gun to slow his fall instead of falling to his death. April fails to slow Shredder down and calls the other half of the team for help. Splinter makes some headway and forces Shredder off the roof... but Shredder immediately climbs back on and impales Splinter, Bullseye style. He then tosses him off the building where he falls... all the way down. Yeah... Splinter is super dead. April gets a rage psychic strength boost and pushes Shredder off the roof again, this time he falls all the way down as well, into the back of a garbage truck. Casey immediately turns on the compactor, with an ice cold "Oops." That's uh... kind of a big deal for this high school version of Casey.

The end of the episode shows Super Shredder escaping, natch. I really wonder where the finale is going to take this, this time. Last time Splinter died, the gang pulled a Superman and got went back in time to prevent that whole situation. I kind of feel like he's gonna stay dead this time.

Tl;dr the current Turtles show continues to be the best, most consistently delivering version of the series.

• Options
    So TMNT just had a massive episode, the next to last of season 4. To set the stage on this one, just know that earlier in the season, Shredder mutated into a deliberate homage to TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze's Super Shredder. His mutation made him both physically and mentally unstable until this episode, where Stockman Fly finally got it right.

I'm gonna go into spoilers for those who are interested in watching it for themselves, but here's an important scene reference to remember. The new show LOVES making references, mostly to other Turtles stuff, but also to anything it finds amusing, such as Big Trouble in Little China, Chuck Norris, or The Herculoids.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40fz6l
    When the Turtles first fought Shredder, they made a ton of callbacks to the first TMNT movie, such as not knowing who the guy was and underestimating his threat. Since then, there's been tons of fights. But this is the biggie. The Turtle extended gang is split into two groups to chase down the Shredder's group and Splinter, Raph, April, Casey, and Slash face Shredder atop the same building where they first fought him back in season 1. Raph and Slash are taken out of the fight and Casey falls off the building entirely, but manages to use a grapple gun to slow his fall instead of falling to his death. April fails to slow Shredder down and calls the other half of the team for help. Splinter makes some headway and forces Shredder off the roof... but Shredder immediately climbs back on and impales Splinter, Bullseye style. He then tosses him off the building where he falls... all the way down. Yeah... Splinter is super dead. April gets a rage psychic strength boost and pushes Shredder off the roof again, this time he falls all the way down as well, into the back of a garbage truck. Casey immediately turns on the compactor, with an ice cold "Oops." That's uh... kind of a big deal for this high school version of Casey.

The end of the episode shows Super Shredder escaping, natch. I really wonder where the finale is going to take this, this time. Last time Splinter died, the gang pulled a Superman and got went back in time to prevent that whole situation. I kind of feel like he's gonna stay dead this time.

Tl;dr the current Turtles show continues to be the best, most consistently delivering version of the series.
    ...You know, for kids...
    I think it would have had a lot more impact if this wasn't like the fourth or fifth time the Turtles thought Splinter dead in this series.
    Sure, the sepia flashback montage drove it home that this time it might stick, and we did see a body. But... I still don't see them killing off a main character here.
    On the other hand, it was really heavy handed with the foreshadowing early on in the episode. So, who knows?