As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Patrick Klepek is even worse at Snakebird than I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooawnddifFQ

but not by much.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Last Invader has a thread on Polycount and a dev blog now.

This game looks rad as fuck.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pacman CEDX taught me that pure score-attack games are not for me at all.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Patrick Klepek is even worse at Snakebird than I am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooawnddifFQ

but not by much.

I want to own this

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm gonna be honest

I don't have a concrete reason why I shouldn't play the Necrodancer soundtracks in the background at all times, all days. If I had a smartphone, these tunes would never leave me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtaqLEY7p4&list=PLhFC8pd7oZvz5AEQan423L1wJsKCAZcSM&index=2

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Red snakebird is the best snakebird.

broken image link
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest

I don't have a concrete reason why I shouldn't play the Necrodancer soundtracks in the background at all times, all days. If I had a smartphone, these tunes would never leave me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EtaqLEY7p4&list=PLhFC8pd7oZvz5AEQan423L1wJsKCAZcSM&index=2

I get confused by the import music feature because why would you ever have anything other than the default tracks going!?

I have a lot of hours in that game and have never gotten sick of them

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest

I get confused by the import music feature because why would you ever have anything other than the default tracks going!?

let me run this by you:

rules of nature on every boss level

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Get back to working on the Witness, dammit! :wink:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be honest

replace every track in the game with Safety Dance

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Finished Freedom Planet as Milla. Not sure about her. I really wish she had someway of gaining instant speed like Lilac and Carol. Having shields in place of invincibility moves trivialized some bosses and made others nightmares (and I enjoyed punking out those annoying troop enemies). I wish she didn't have half health for some reason.

Her exclusive level was neat, though the boss sucked. And I liked fighting the tigermech on the jet. I hope when her story comes out they add the cool segment from final dreadnought 2 back in because cutting that was a shame.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Milla has a way to earn instant speed. It's kind of tricky, but incredibly effective. Build a block, jump, fire the super beam behind you, move from the recoil.

It's so strong that Milla actually has the fastest overall speedrun of any character. From what I understand, the top runner actually remapped his down key to make the move easier.

https://youtu.be/viXgL8MtY5o

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Oh wow that looks really cool. Wish I'd known about it earlier. Looks like it also works way better as a height gaining tool than slowly floating upwards.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42B22-_fCCg

Catlateral Damage is out on Steam

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Wait, games still come out for the Ouya in 2015?

• Options
    I kind of love how misleading that preview image is

• Options
    http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/19/8626041/dimension-drive-kickstarter

an indie dev's kickstarter was trolled (which honestly feels like to soft a word to use here but I'm not sure what to use instead) by someone making a huge pledge and pulling it at the last second, on camera during the dev's stream, humiliating them and causing them to miss theiir goal, and now the dev is trying again

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    While it is a stink thing to do, how does it ruin a kickstarter? If you were going to fail without it you were going to fail without it.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    The linked article links to another article that details how it happened. Normally, you can't decrease or cancel your pledge within 24 hours of the campaign ending - so once you are past that point, if the pledge amounts are past your goal, you can assume you're safe. In this case, Kickstarter itself pulled the pledge because it was fradulent.

So the campaign was past the goal with less than 24 hours to go, which should normally mean the it is officially funded, but was reduced below the funding goal at the last minute by some behind-the-scenes work by Kickstarter.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Right.
    Well, if it is any consolation, they'll probably do better the second time around.

• Options
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

I am getting the biggest Darkland vibe from this and that is super exciting.

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I have a Kickstarter Etiquette question for the Indie Games thread.

When a Kickstarter game asks you what name you want in the game's credits, is it gauche to just use my Twitter handle? It feels a little...self-promotey. On the other hand, the impossible scenario where someone looks me up from those credits and sends me a weird Twitter message sounds amazing.

Am I good?

signature.png

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    You're good

You paid the money so I don't think anyone is going to complain

• Options
    Oh I don't think anyone's going to complain, I'm just imagining the developer looking through the list and stopping at my handle and going, to themselves, "well, look at this asshole."

signature.png

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Oh I don't think anyone's going to complain, I'm just imagining the developer looking through the list and stopping at my handle and going, to themselves, "well, look at this asshole."

well i'm sorry to tell you this but they're too busy not sleeping or seeing anyone they know outside of work to care

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »

well i'm sorry to tell you this but they're too busy not sleeping or seeing anyone they know outside of work to care

If you keep making me sad about game development I'll put a link to your YouTube channel in the credits of this small indie game and then you're done for.

signature.png

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Huntera wrote: »

If you keep making me sad about game development I'll put a link to your YouTube channel in the credits of this small indie game and then you're done for.

oh fuck im sorry i forgot that you now have this power over me, ala knowing my true name

p.s. if you think anyone watches credits you are sorely mistaken i feel??? No one cares who made the game outside of maybe like, the director and the studio if that

Huntera on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Honestly, if I were the developer of a kickstarter game I'd judge the folks who paid me $1000 to put a picture of their cat in the game before someone who wants their twitter handle displayed instead of their actual name

• Options
    Yeah there's a reason I described that scenario as impossible.

But if it did happen...if it did...

signature.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

you wouldn't know about it and if you did youd be a little sad and then go on with the rest of your life?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Plenty of people put their online handles or nicknames in the credits of Kickstarter games. Even if someone thinks it's weird, you're likely not going to stand out as a single outlier.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

john ham as a person who cannot watch a lot of TV because the idea of someone making a fool of themselves in front of others causes me severe discomfort

this is a ridiculous fear

• Options
    I want to get a message from the person who watches the credits of this weird indie game and then sends random messages to backers from the credits.

I desperately want to know that person, if they exist. What is their deal?

signature.png

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    If this is a big concern to you you could always just put MY twitter handle

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    I'll divert all messages worthy of Don Draper's attention to you

This discussion has been closed.