Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Nihilists... fuck me...

do they
    whatever

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    We're not even discussing the game's content here. The game will be making real neo nazis real money. With that reality in mind, if you run a store, do you sell it? If you run a game website, do you provide it access to your platform? These are the questions we're discussing.

signature.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    We're not even discussing the game's content here. The game will be making real neo nazis real money. With that reality in mind, if you run a store, do you sell it? If you run a game website, do you provide it access to your platform? These are the questions we're discussing.

Oh

Yes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Well, Digitally

I probably wouldn't stock hard copies in my store

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

It's capitalism. The creators don't matter, only the product does. The average person buying the game doesn't know that the creators are neo-nazis, so that fact really isn't relevant to most storefronts.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

I'm talking about why Danny O'Dwyer chose to do a video about it, because I am not following some script?

Like, this isn't an A B conversation I should C my way out of, I made a post about my thoughts on a thing

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options

It's capitalism. The creators don't matter, only the product does. The average person buying the game doesn't know that the creators are neo-nazis, so that fact really isn't relevant to most storefronts.

I'm pretty sure I said in almost every post I've made on this topic that from a purely monetary perspective it makes sense to sell/write about the game.

Ethics also exist.

signature.png

• Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

I'm talking about why Danny O'Dwyer chose to do a video about it, because I am not following some script?

Like, this isn't an A B conversation I should C my way out of, I made a post about my thoughts on a thing

I hadn't seen your post when I made mine, I apologize if you thought this was meant to be a barb at you specifically (I DO have some barbs prepped, but have not deployed them).

Your rationalization for why Danny's covering it is fine, but it's still giving the game his time and coverage and eyeballs that could be spent on a game that's worth promoting. That's a decision that can be criticized, no?

signature.png

• Options

I'm pretty sure I said in almost every post I've made on this topic that from a purely monetary perspective it makes sense to sell/write about the game.

Ethics also exist.

Personally I would find it equally unethical for myself to choose not to sell a game based on its creators beliefs than it would be to be financially compensated for selling the product of a person I did not agree with

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Nihilists... fuck me...

Vee vant zee money, Bagel

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Homophobia: just a friendly disagreement!

signature.png

• Options
    Well, I understand that you think we should purge Islam from the planet, but let's just agree to disagree on that one!

signature.png

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    John I think you need to dial it back a bit buddy

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    All real and perfectly valid things that Chincy has said online and in real life nearly every single day

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Ethics also exist.

Personally I would find it equally unethical for myself to choose not to sell a game based on its creators beliefs than it would be to be financially compensated for selling the product of a person I did not agree with

I absolutely would have zero problem not selling a product made by someone who was an outspoken bigot.

Par example: I would not stock a book by Richie Santorum were I the owner of a hot new book store where all the cashiers were male models in thongs.

• Options
    Like I think danny gave his reasons for why they're doing it and articulated it well

Its cool to disagree with that call but I definitely don't think he's somehow being unethical by doing so?

Like his reasons given are nearly wholly ethics based

• Options
    John what are you doing dude

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    We're not even discussing the game's content here.

Actually some of us are

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    John what are you doing dude

exposing how flawed and in fact unethical your ethics are, duh

do you see the light yet

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Ethics also exist.

I absolutely would have zero problem not selling a product made by someone who was an outspoken bigot.

Par example: I would not stock a book by Richie Santorum were I the owner of a hot new book store where all the cashiers were male models in thongs.

And that's cool!

But I think its also valid to make the choice to not make value judgments on the creators beleifs

Again, we are talking about the beleifs of the creator

If the game was fervently pro neonazi I think that would be different

But I'm not going to not sell something because of a disagreement I have with someone's views if those views aren't in the product

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Also there's nothing unethical about covering a game made by neo-nazis

Especially if it's a bad game and you say hey this is a bad game, there's no real reason to play it

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Ethics also exist.

And that's cool!

But I think its also valid to make the choice to not make value judgments on the creators beleifs

But I'm not going to not sell something because of a disagreement I have with someone's views if those views aren't in the product

Sure, let's say his book was about kittens and how great they are.

Still wouldn't stock it.

• Options

Ethics also exist.

And that's cool!

Sure, let's say his book was about kittens and how great they are.

Still wouldn't stock it.

And like I said, that's cool, but I would

• Options
    "Why would I stop eating at Chick-Fil-A? This chicken isn't homophobic."

Well yes, but you are enriching people who are and could easily use that money to further initiatives that erode the rights of gay people.

signature.png

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    See this is so repeated that it has become thread truth by now, but is pretty embellished. They're dicks with some discernible ties to righ-wing hate groups, sure, but I've a hard time believing that their developer meetings looks something like this:
    unit88.jpg

There are plenty of ordinary unsympatethic bigots out there, that doesn't dream of establishing the theird reich. I think there would be plenty to call those people out on already.

• Options
    It's a tricky situation, ethically. Because sellers have an onus to not support products from people with objectionable personal lives, then would they not also have an onus to research every creator of every product, because otherwise how are they to know? As a consumer you have almost certainly indirectly supported some awful, awful people. I feel like if you're going to make a stand about that stuff, the truly ethical thing to do is to go whole-hog with it and only support products that you know were made by people you judge as good. Otherwise you're cherry picking ethical issues based on personal benefit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    These analogies are too much.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    These analogies are too much.

I say they are not too much enough

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    "Why would I stop eating at Chick-Fil-A? This chicken isn't homophobic."

Well yes, but you are enriching people who are and could easily use that money to further initiatives that erode the rights of gay people.

That's not equivalent, john

I wouldn't BUY from a company that has those kinds of policies

Because I'm directly funding them

I would, however, sell their product, because if other people want to give them money, that's fine, that's their choice

Plus I get a cut of it and can do good things with it

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Well, I understand that you think we should purge Islam from the planet, but let's just agree to disagree on that one!

That's a good Islamic point.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Also can we just like

Talk

Without you being incredibly hostile to me?

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yeah, you play a nihilistic guy in Hatred but it's clear that the point is killing minorities and women and "those damn politically correct liberal pussies" and such.

It's a dog whistle loud enough that humans can hear it.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

That's a good Islamic point.

pack it up, folks

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    It's a tricky situation, ethically. Because sellers have an onus to not support products from people with objectionable personal lives, then would they not also have an onus to research every creator of every product, because otherwise how are they to know? As a consumer you have almost certainly indirectly supported some awful, awful people. I feel like if you're going to make a stand about that stuff, the truly ethical thing to do is to go whole-hog with it and only support products that you know were made by people you judge as good. Otherwise you're cherry picking ethical issues based on personal benefit.

I would never give a site or store shit for carrying something, finding out its creator or manufacturer is a terrible bigot, and then reacting to that information after the fact by removing the product. That's just a "go with the info you have" sort of situation that could sorta happen to any person or company. Everyone makes mistakes.

In a situation where you know this moral question exists, I believe you're obligated to confront it when you determine whether to sell something.

signature.png

• Options

It's not even "almost certainly" - if you have ever bought anything from any major retailer, you have 100% supported someone with beliefs you would find abhorrent. There's absolutely no getting around it.

• Options

I would never give a site or store shit for carrying something, finding out its creator or manufacturer is a terrible bigot, and then reacting to that information after the fact by removing the product. That's just a "go with the info you have" sort of situation that could sorta happen to any person or company. Everyone makes mistakes.

In a situation where you know this moral question exists, I believe you're obligated to confront it when you determine whether to sell something.

For me, if someone wants to buy something from someone shitty, that's up to thwm

I will absolutely take a cut of the money and do something worthwhile with it

I wont sell something that actively promotes those views, and I wont buy something from someone with those views

But those are different things

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Tell me how you feel about watching Chinatown and/or Annie Hall, indie games thread

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Nintendo system Indie games are called Nindie's, that's adorable

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

So if you should "go with the info you have" and you also have an impetus to not sell stuff made by bigots, then how do you not have a responsibility to seek out that information before carrying a product? Based on that ethical view, you should be background checking all products, because relying on someone to tell you that what you're doing is unethical is, itself ethically unsound.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Tell me how you feel about watching Chinatown and/or Annie Hall, indie games thread

p good

This discussion has been closed.