As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Yeah there's a reason I described that scenario as impossible.

But if it did happen...if it did...

john ham as a person who cannot watch a lot of TV because the idea of someone making a fool of themselves in front of others causes me severe discomfort

damn man that's my whole bit!!!!!!

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I want to get a message from the person who watches the credits of this weird indie game and then sends random messages to backers from the credits.

I desperately want to know that person, if they exist. What is their deal?

now this is just confusing to me

but then again i block basically anyone who follows me on twitter that i dont know

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    indie game thread where is banner saga part two

I need more nordic themed suffering and existential despair in my life

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    You could always just go to church in northern Minnesota.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    There are not enough horned giants and world eating serpents in northern minnesota

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Now, you say that, but have you ever really considered why North Dakota is so desolate?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I watched the credits for Sunless Sea, and there are a ton of Twitter handles and various online pseudonyms in there. It's not weird at all.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch the credits for Pillars of Eternity, because there are like 50,000 people in there. And I couldn't find my name. I think I forgot to send it for inclusion when they asked?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    From the credits talk...

Back when games came with sizable manuals because they had to explain how you played the game, there was sometimes an index at the end of the manual. Jagged Alliance 2 had two entries under "This author". "... wonders if anyone actually reads this bit?" and "... will send a prize to the first person who mails the publisher of this game a letter saying they read this in the index".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean, I think the game looks like pandering dogshit and I'm pretty well guaranteed to never play it. But there's no reason a game reviewer/critic shouldn't at least spend some time with the game in order to have an informed opinion on it. It's just...their job.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oh I don't think anyone's going to complain, I'm just imagining the developer looking through the list and stopping at my handle and going, to themselves, "well, look at this asshole."

well i'm sorry to tell you this but they're too busy not sleeping or seeing anyone they know outside of work to care

If you keep making me sad about game development I'll put a link to your YouTube channel in the credits of this small indie game and then you're done for.

oh fuck im sorry i forgot that you now have this power over me, ala knowing my true name

p.s. if you think anyone watches credits you are sorely mistaken i feel??? No one cares who made the game outside of maybe like, the director and the studio if that
    I mean I will usually sit through the credits. I won't remember them usually, though.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Choosing not to give coverage to an otherwise unremarkable game made by people who seem to really like a lot of internationally-recognized hate groups doesn't seem like "getting wrapped up in PR tactics" or "childish nonsense" so much as a "highly defensible editorial decision" to me, but what do I know!

signature.png

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Choosing not to give coverage to an otherwise unremarkable game made by people who seem to really like a lot of internationally-recognized hate groups doesn't seem like "getting wrapped up in PR tactics" or "childish nonsense" so much as a "highly defensible editorial decision" to me, but what do I know!

That's the main issue I take with the decision to cover the game

It is pretty obvious what all the fuss is about if you do some research into the game and acting like the only reason people could ever take offense to the game is because they fell for a PR stunt seems willfully ignorant

this is in addition to the fact that doing something gross and then claiming it was a PR bit does not somehow make that thing not gross

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    Yeah I mean, I think the game looks like pandering dogshit and I'm pretty well guaranteed to never play it. But there's no reason a game reviewer/critic shouldn't at least spend some time with the game in order to have an informed opinion on it. It's just...their job.

gamespot and every other games site skips over tons of games

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

I don't know about a defensible editorial decision, covering hatred would get a pretty good amount of eyes on gamespot as we see here

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I don't know about a defensible editorial decision, covering hatred would get a pretty good amount of eyes on gamespot as we see here

Absolutely true that they will get sweet clix, and I honestly sort of assumed that most big sites would cover it fifty times over regardless (thinkpieces all the way down), for exactly that reason. It's still a (subjectively) bad editorial decision, despite that it's an almost definitely better financial decision.

Promoting the game and your coverage of it on your personal Twitter account is also a separate lame decision in this case imo.

signature.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

gamespot and every other games site skips over tons of games

right, and they also cover plenty of largely unremarkable games

people are talking about this game, it has a certain amount of cultural presence. like i said, i think it looks awful, the developers seem awful, and i hope it does poorly. but i won't begrudge game critics for spending some amount of time with this particular game so they can intelligently tell other people 'yes it is shit and here's exactly why' or whatever else their thoughts are

• Options
    Yeah I don't really mind gamespot talking about hatred I just don't like danny's attitude about pr tactics as if he isn't a servant of them

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    oh yeah, that bit was pretty silly, and a little surprising coming from him

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hatred is an effective example of controversy marketing causing an obsession over an otherwise generic game

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hatred is an effective example of controversy marketing causing an obsession over an otherwise generic game

They're basically weaponizing the Streisand Effect as an intentional PR tactic.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Sort of.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's working, too: twitch banned the streaming of AO-rated games on their service, which is a completely reasonable and rational decision to make

and everywhere the comments are OH THEY'RE ONLY BANNING THIS BECAUSE HATRED IS COMING OUT, THEY DON'T WANT HATRED ON THEIR SERVICE and it's like, what? no that's like, a thing a company would just do

hatred is a nothing game, a xbox live marketplace zombie shooter with an edgelord skin, and it will be forgotten and discarded like used toilet paper a month after its release, and whispering about "ooooh we can't cover this on moral grounds" only gives it a legacy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    When they outlaw the streaming of big titty anime bukkake games

only outlaws will stream big titty anime bukkake games

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Honestly the controversy kind of reminds me of the talk surrounding Bully back in the day. And no one gives a crap about Bully now.

Edit: wait "no one gives a crap" makes it sound like it's a nothing game. I mean no one gives it any special moral weight. It's just another game.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Plus Bully actually turned out to be, you know, a good game

with a FANTASTIC soundtrack

also maybe still Rockstar's best-written game?

• Options
    i never did play bully, i dunno why

i should find a way to do that

• Options

It's on Steam, and probably dirt-cheap for consoles too!

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    So, I'm watching this Carmageddon reboot quicklook. I don't know how anybody could say this type of game is in any way better than Twisted Metal.

Also, it's 2015. How do games with a bunch of driving in them look worse than Burnout Revenge?

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Danny has a history of doing the "Everyone should have an equal voice" thing which how TotalBiscuit gets on his podcast (or it might have been a video)

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

It's on Steam, and probably dirt-cheap for consoles too!

so it is! thy will be done, Bully

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Carmageddon Reincarnation looks like a trash fire, and I want to make a nature documentary about a person who enjoys it

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Look at this fucking game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aBnQJDKDk0

The fact that it never gets that fast or controls quite that well is the only problem I have with Burnout Paradise.

...well that and the lack of GPS.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I mean forget moral grounds even on a practical ground the "hey man we're just covering the games of the day" doesn't really work

there are more games coming out or otherwise updating their marketing every day than you can reasonably cover, all on the same development level as hatred and probably no less good

so there's nothing that you're actually really obligated to cover, gamespot makes a choice about what they want to spend time and effort on and the primary criteria is how many people want to read about this

hatred, for better or worse, has done a good job of inserting itself into the public consciousness and many people will click on a gameplay preview accompanied by advertisements

so, like, okay, do your job man, but acknowledge why you're doing it which is participation in a pr cycle, you're not giving a voice to everybody and you couldn't even if you wanted to

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So, I'm watching this Carmageddon reboot quicklook. I don't know how anybody could say this type of game is in any way better than Twisted Metal.

Also, it's 2015. How do games with a bunch of driving in them look worse than Burnout Revenge?

All posts like this do is make me sad the Rock and Roll racing reboot fell apart.

Rock and Roll Racing will go down as one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    That is the best possible preview image.

IKknkhU.gif
This discussion has been closed.