As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Indie Games: They're like video games, but smaller!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah, that and
    the stuff that happens to Milla toward the end
    are super unnecessary

I've heard someone make the case that the world being otherwise super cartoony, and the really dark shit only happening when Brevon is in the room, reinforces how much of an alien force he's meant to be, but I don't really buy it

• Options
    it's weird is how much the torture scene effects the tone, too

you don't see it when playing carol's story and even though they spend most of the story travelling together it feels entirely different

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Galak-Z will apparently be out by the end of the summer

That's not a date, bit17!!

augh!!!

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I wonder if continuum has a Mac version

I feel like playing that game online took a year of my life as a young man

Edit: oh neat subspace continuum is being added to steam July 3rd.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I thought the torture scene was ridiculously light handed

It shouldn't by any means be in a kids game

But didn't seem tonally jarring after the first cutscee where a king is straight decapitated and you see his head roll across the ground.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQtW4Fzizw

Adding "shit windows" and "rectal merchants" to my Rolodex of insults.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I like the dig at The Escapist in the intro.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I do not like his outfit but god damn do i love the intro song for the jimquisition

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I do not like his outfit but god damn do i love the intro song for the jimquisition

Drill Queen is the shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3x_nMbaBc

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Neddor Clegane. Hah. That's not bad.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    https://youtu.be/cc67_BrCdPc

the kickstarter for this has got a week left and about $20k to go

edit: didn't notice before, the money's in CAD

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    https://youtu.be/cc67_BrCdPc

the kickstarter for this has got a week left and about $20k to go

edit: didn't notice before, the money's in CAD

oh heck i didn't know it was on ks

off to donate

i'm seriously tempted to change my avatar to that buffont mask lady she's p awesome

edit: OH HOLY FUCK IT'S A ROGUELIKE?!?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That game

Looks pretty cool

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    quiplash codes went out kickstarter backers, though they won't work until tuesday

• Options
    edited June 2015
    speaking of which, a jackbox dev is hosting some twitch games

joining a game works the same as party pack, go to jackbox.tv on your phone, put in the code, etc

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Her Story is super cool!

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So I saw a spoiler thread on NEOGAF for a game called HER STORY. Saw some pretty impressive reviews on MetaCritic. Read the description and I'm like "Oh ok. This sounds cool." Grab it on Steam and have been playing for a couple of hours now (I erased about an hours worth of work trying to clear out the temporary sessions area - opps).

I will say, this is one of the more "disturbing" games I've played. Obviously not in the traditional sense, but I am unnerved as all hell right now and there is a ton more to dig into.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So I saw a spoiler thread on NEOGAF for a game called HER STORY. Saw some pretty impressive reviews on MetaCritic. Read the description and I'm like "Oh ok. This sounds cool." Grab it on Steam and have been playing for a couple of hours now (I erased about an hours worth of work trying to clear out the temporary sessions area - opps).

I will say, this is one of the more "disturbing" games I've played. Obviously not in the traditional sense, but I am unnerved as all hell right now and there is a ton more to dig into.

I've heard very good things. Going to pick it up sometime.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So I'm almost done. Yea. It is worth the five bucks. This was crazy. I mean you could "finish" the game in like 30 minutes or REALLY finish. . . well whenever.

It is really about how much you want to get out of the story which is nuts. The only problem (gameplay not story):
    I wish you could view the videos by clicking on the "video links" because that is making it hard to 100% this.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Never Alone and the Need for American Indian Narrative in Games

Good feature from Polygon on the author's Native experience and how Never Alone affected them. @Rankenphile and @Poorochondriac you'd probably appreciate this article

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I'm quite enjoying Her Story so far

My theories so far
    They seem to be leading away from the idea that Hannah and Eve are one person, but instead twins

Except, Eve may be a totally separate person, or maybe a personality of one of the two. Three identical siblings? It doesn't seem super likely.

I've also gotten two videos where the monitor silhouette is illuminated briefly afterwards, and the person looks like Hannah/Eve, but it's hard to tell. It's 3D modeling and I can't really compare that to the FMV at all.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Oh lord, the character Jason is playing is basically someone I used to hang out with, but with dreadlocks, weird dick joke fixation and all.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Good feature from Polygon on the author's Native experience and how Never Alone affected them. @Rankenphile and @Poorochondriac you'd probably appreciate this article

Its like I'm never @'d when these things come up.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    It really is a shame Streets of Fury has no online.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I saw that article yesterday. Made its rounds among the team. Very heavy stuff, makes me feel really honored to have gotten to work on a project that had that personal an effect.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You can't tell me what to do, you're not even my real dad!

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

I was reading this, and it really hit me in the heart, and I articulated some of that in a chat that I'll adapt into a post here:

Writing was tough, this morning. I was writing a scene with Russell Means, telling the story of the Wounded Knee Massacre. It was a hard headspace to get into. Imagining how he, specifically, would tell that story. A guy who's a powerful orator and has murdered ancestors under the ground where he is speaking. I got a draft of the scene down, but it was really draining.

And this article, it's about Indians playing [Never Alone], and how much it resonated with them. How seeing stories of the Inuit tribe told made them feel reconnected to their families and their ancestors, even when that tribe wasn't theirs - just that seeing any traditions and stories and history preserved and retold helped rejuvenate their desire to keep their own alive. Made them feel less alone in that desire.

It was a good article to read on the day when I wrote that scene. A nice reminder of what I'm trying to do, and why it's worth trying even when it's hard and draining.

Like maybe somebody will see my movie and feel less alone, and more inspired, and they'll go out and make something even though it's hard, and somebody will see THAT thing, and feel less alone, and more inspired, and on and on and on

They couldn't have picked a better title for their game.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod

I was reading this, and it really hit me in the heart, and I articulated some of that in a chat that I'll adapt into a post here:

Writing was tough, this morning. I was writing a scene with Russell Means, telling the story of the Wounded Knee Massacre. It was a hard headspace to get into. Imagining how he, specifically, would tell that story. A guy who's a powerful orator and has murdered ancestors under the ground where he is speaking. I got a draft of the scene down, but it was really draining.

And this article, it's about Indians playing [Never Alone], and how much it resonated with them. How seeing stories of the Inuit tribe told made them feel reconnected to their families and their ancestors, even when that tribe wasn't theirs - just that seeing any traditions and stories and history preserved and retold helped rejuvenate their desire to keep their own alive. Made them feel less alone in that desire.

It was a good article to read on the day when I wrote that scene. A nice reminder of what I'm trying to do, and why it's worth trying even when it's hard and draining.

Like maybe somebody will see my movie and feel less alone, and more inspired, and they'll go out and make something even though it's hard, and somebody will see THAT thing, and feel less alone, and more inspired, and on and on and on

They couldn't have picked a better title for their game.

thanks man

keep fighting the good fight

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

Oh hey, there's my line for where I think journalists should report things

thanks tdot!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Someone stole info, posted it and then it got deleted! Let me share it with you!

No journalist, no. Stop.'

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I don't even get that. How on earth does someone have so much free time they can track down where a studio is and infiltrate them just to find out that there might be a new game in the works. Really?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.