As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, AlonsoRegistered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
header.jpg

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the most recent installment in Bethesda Softworks' line of open world fantasy role playing games. Published in 2011 on Windows PC, XBox 360, and PS3, it received numerous awards including the lion's share of "game of the year" awards. The events of Skyrim take place 200 years after the events of the preceding game, TES IV: Oblivion, and concern an on-going civil war taking place in the provinces of Skyrim which is interrupted by the return of the ancient and long dead dragons who once ruled over the world at the dawn of history. The player takes on the role of a man or woman who is unwittingly caught up in the events of the civil war when he or she is arrested crossing the Skyrim border and sentenced to death (spoiler alert: you don't actually get executed). In the course of the main story line the player character is revealed to be heir to a great power nearly as old as the dragons themselves, which they must master to defeat the dragon uprising and prevent the end of the world.

But this is an Elder Scrolls game so the typical player can expect to burn hundreds of hours exploring the world without ever actually completing the main story line. You may not even pursue the main story line at all. Skyrim is a rich wide open world and it's very easy to get lost in it, forge your own destiny, make your own stories, and generally play as you wish.

The modding community for Skyrim is vast, diverse, and goes all the way down through the rabbit hole and comes out the other side only moderately traumatized by tentacles. New players may wish to begin their Skyrim experience with minimal modding for a "vanilla" experience, or they may wish to start off with a number of popular and thoroughly playtested mods. I have included a link to the previous thread OP which contains a useful list of mods, but that list is neither exhaustive nor universally agreed upon. One of the main functions of this thread is to discuss mods and matters relating to mods, which most definitely includes helping new players get their Skyrim modded up so please ask, we are delighted to assist.

Additionally this thread is for the discussion of previous entries in the Elder Scrolls line of games, people still play them and comparisons between them and Skyrim are relevant.

After giving this some thought I have decided not to include screenshots in this OP due to the fact that the sheer depth and breadth of graphical modding makes it extremely difficult to choose screenshots which present Skyrim in a way which it will ultimately look for you when you play it. If you want to see pretties, use your google-fu.

Link to the previous OP which includes a list of mods to get you started

One download that nearly every Skyrim player who wishes to mod their game will need to do is SKSE, which is short for Skyrim Script Extender. SKSE is a papyrus script extender, which allows modders to write mods containing more code than the game would otherwise allow. Most mods that use scripts require SKSE in order to work at all.

It is always important to pay attention to the requirements section of any mod you wish to use, as well as read and understand the installation instructions. Even a properly installed mod will misfire if you are missing requirements.

If a mod lists a dependency, and it's a dependency that you don't understand, ask.

Regina Fong on

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    You know, @Regina Fong, I had no contact with you in my life other than TES thread, but I'll always remember you very fondly, for you're a super awesome individual.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I heard we were murdering Thalmor?

I once thought about role-playing as a Thalmor agent, but then realized it would cause some dissonance when I inevitably fail to resist murdering all the Thalmor, and this will not do.

We were robbed when we never got an anti-thalmor expansion,.

EDIT: and after Dragonborn (which was great) I trust it would have been great too. Dawnguard was ok. I don't enjoy Falmer as an enemy... so... yeah.

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I started as a Thalmor agent once. Murdered everything in the embassy on my way out the door. Then I got tired of being an ugly yellow monster 5 minutes later and re-rolled as a nord.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    One thing I've been wondering is there a way to easily tell which texture mod is actually being is displayed by using the console or something?

I have a few textures that look actively bad but with like 10 mods that install textures its hard to tell who's the offender

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    One thing I've been wondering is there a way to easily tell which texture mod is actually being is displayed by using the console or something?

I have a few textures that look actively bad but with like 10 mods that install textures its hard to tell who's the offender

Depends on what you got?

Bodymods? City Mods? Grass mods?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I was surprised that Bethesda didn't see about having Obsidian put out an Eldar Scroll game a couple of years after Skyrim came out, similar to the Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas thing. Obsidian is pretty good at working with the Bethesda tech, and much better at writing, so it'd have been a no-brainer money maker.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I was surprised that Bethesda didn't see about having Obsidian put out an Eldar Scroll game a couple of years after Skyrim came out, similar to the Fallout 3 / Fallout: New Vegas thing. Obsidian is pretty good at working with the Bethesda tech, and much better at writing, so it'd have been a no-brainer money maker.

The Elder Scrolls will forever be Bethesda's mainline "thing".

Hell, I expect the only reason why they farmed out ESO to Zenimax is because they had no clue how to make MMO's, and considering how long it takes them to make an Elder Scrolls game it just wasn't feasible.

I wish this wasn't the case though, because a Bethesda plotted game designed by, like, the Dragon's Dogma team with the Asscreed team working on your mobility/steath functions would pretty much be the greatest game of all time.

After Bloodborne.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Depends on what you got?

mostly looking for world texture mods

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Man I get to the bottom of this Dwarf ruin in Morrowind only to find out that to finish it I NEED a levitation spell. My Alteration magic is 5, I have no money...

Time to do more quests I guess :\

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Man I get to the bottom of this Dwarf ruin in Morrowind only to find out that to finish it I NEED a levitation spell. My Alteration magic is 5, I have no money...

How is your alchemy skill? The ingredients for a levitation potion are really easy to find.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

How is your alchemy skill? The ingredients for a levitation potion are really easy to find.

That is also 5!

My character is real good at sweet-talking, hitting things, shooting things, taking people's stuff, and running, in that order. Alchemy is a total mystery to me.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    the thread is dead.. long live the thread!

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm using the Morrowind Watercolored pack and I don't see myself going back anytime soon. It's pretty great.

If anyone else tries it out be forewarned that you need to be using the default models for everything to get the full effect. No Better Bodies in other words.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *looks at title and nods approvingly*
    Two of the noblest endeavors in all of Tamriel.

The Tale of Gaenor the Lucky (for anyone who missed it at the end of the old thread)

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular

Depends on what you got?

mostly looking for world texture mods

If you are using lots of different texture mods, and particularly if you've switched mods around and aren't using Mod Organizer, it can be pretty difficult to figure out what is causing the problems. You can narrow it down just by going through the list and checking the mod page to get an idea of what they change, but sometimes textures can even come from mods which aren't specifically texture mods, so it gets muddy and I've had this exact same problem.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Finished up Dragonborn a few days ago, not too bad

Solstheim felt a little small

although
    being Hermaeus Mora's "minion" was a little eh, having to force that Skaal shaman to read the book was not cool

but Mora's rewards are worth it I guess

and I've been too spoiled by the crossbow to use any other weapons, it is just so satsifying

Hjorvarthr on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

That is also 5!

My character is real good at sweet-talking, hitting things, shooting things, taking people's stuff, and running, in that order. Alchemy is a total mystery to me.

Does that stop you from making levitation potions though? Doesn't alchemy only affect magnitudes/durations or is something gated in Morrowind?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you absolutely, positively do not want to go all the way back to town for a levitation potion in Morrowind then:

Hit the ~ key
    Type tcl
    Hit Enter key
    Hit the ~ key
    Point the direction you want to go and float there. Be aware you will clip through the walls and so will any present NPC's if they move around. Once you're up to where you need to then repeat the process and collision will turn back on.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Low alchemy skill gives low chance of success when trying to make potions, but you can make any potion at any level in theory.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Things I miss from Morrowind: Alchemy gear, enchanting on the fly, spellcrafting

• Options
    Infinite loop of making Fortify Intelligence potions. Which allows you to make stronger potions with high intelligence.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Infinite loop of making Fortify Intelligence potions. Which allows you to make stronger potions with high intelligence.

Eh, you can still loop with alchemy in Skyrim if you're not using the unofficial patch mod (it totally breaks the game though).

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Yeah but other than console players and you, no one is not using the Unofficial Patch.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    USKP is civilisation

edit: Wow, it is not in our recommended mods list. To new players: get it

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yeah but other than console players and you, no one is not using the Unofficial Patch.

It's only very occasionally that I am affected by a bug that would have been fixed by it which I can't resolve myself using the console. When it does happen it sucks, but I like all my exploits and other shenanigans that Bethesda left in the game intentionally. The alchemy loop is a perfect example. Bethesda knew perfectly well that fortify restoration affects everything instead of just restoration, they left it that way because it's lulsy (and also probably for the console players. I think a lot of exploits were intended for console players who are bereft of glorious mods).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    I'll take not being affected by the huge list of bugs and errors the unofficial patch fixes over occasionally being affected by them.

There are also a lot of things that improve the game that might not be obvious bugs/problems in an unpatched Skyrim. You could say why bother then, but I think those things are bound to add up to a better experience overall.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    I'll take not being affected by the huge list of bugs and errors the unofficial patch fixes over occasionally being affected by them.

There are also a lot of things that improve the game that might not be obvious bugs/problems in an unpatched Skyrim. You could say why bother then, but I think those things are bound to add up to a better experience overall.

If they did actually confine it to bugs and exploits I'd be more moved, but they always seem to be changing stuff that is not a bug or an exploit and it's become a really, really long list of shit they've stuck their fingers into.

If you like it, great.

I prefer smaller mods that affect a limited set of things. I don't like omni-mods that try to reshape the game.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    On the subject of Gaenor, I tried giving that asshole a full set of Daedric armor and he refused, called me a liar, and ran off. I made it a point to put it all on before we next met and I crushed his head with my daedric hammer.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    I can understand a preference for simple mods. It is true USKP does a lot.

I have not read the changes exhaustively but from what I have skimmed USKP is not really reshaping the game but fixing oversights. Skyrim is a massive game and I think there are many things which were unintentional by Bethesda that were not corrected, presumably due to time constraints. In fact a number of the USKP fixes are noted specifically as restoring Bethesda's intent that was lost due to errors.

A lot of the things are quite minor so it is fairly reasonable that Bethesda did not get to them all. However, fix enough minor errors (USKP fixes hundreds) and I reason it must improve the quality of the experience when you sink 100+ hours in, as many players do.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    I can understand a preference for simple mods. It is true USKP does a lot.

I have not read the changes exhaustively but from what I have skimmed USKP is not really reshaping the game but fixing oversights. Skyrim is a massive game and I think there are many things which were unintentional by Bethesda that were not corrected, presumably due to time constraints. In fact a number of the USKP fixes are noted specifically as restoring Bethesda's intent that was lost due to errors.

A lot of the things are quite minor so it is fairly reasonable that Bethesda did not get to them all. However, fix enough minor errors (USKP fixes hundreds) and I reason it must improve the quality of the experience when you sink 100+ hours in, as many players do.

It probably does improve the overall experience for someone who is just starting. If you've already played it tons and have a set of expectations, this would not necessarily be the case. Some changes are pleasant, others are going to be "WTF?" like making Shor's Stone an iron mine.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Started new playthrough, installed nearly 150 mods, and for the first time i am goint to seriously play with SPERG. Right now im kinda worried that the game will be too easy - perk that gives 50 mana regeneration in Restoration tree? I already have halved costs for Destruction spells, and i can see even more strong perks - i hope, that game won't become too easy? I have already installed ASIS, Revenge of the Enemies, Deadly Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul and Combat Evolved, so perhaps that will be enough to make this playthrough challenging enough.

And little question - is it normal, that with SPERG i don't get skill points from reading books?

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Started new playthrough, installed nearly 150 mods, and for the first time i am goint to seriously play with SPERG. Right now im kinda worried that the game will be too easy - perk that gives 50 mana regeneration in Restoration tree? I already have halved costs for Destruction spells, and i can see even more strong perks - i hope, that game won't become too easy? I have already installed ASIS, Revenge of the Enemies, Deadly Dragons and Dragon Combat Overhaul and Combat Evolved, so perhaps that will be enough to make this playthrough challenging enough.

And little question - is it normal, that with SPERG i don't get skill points from reading books?

The skillbooks is not normal.

SPERG can make the game easier, it seems like you have a lot of difficulty mods installed already, if you like the game to be very challenging you should use the hardcore mode, which makes all those perks you see much weaker. It doesn't change the tooltips though, which you can take as part of the difficulty jump if you like.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I did an alternate start as a Thalmor agent once. I had Journal of the Dragonborn installed, which helps a ton for roleplaying purposes and getting into the head of a specific character. I just filled that thing with smug racism, it was hilarous. Got boring before I hit level 8 though, so I stopped and made another pro-Imperial heavy armor 1h+block Nord.

I'm starting to run out of new games from the end-of-year sales grab I did on Steam, so i'll probably start another pretty soon. Maybe i'll change it up this time, it's been at least two characters since i've made a Dunmer ranger.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Some changes are pleasant, others are going to be "WTF?" like making Shor's Stone an iron mine.
    UESP says that everyone and everything in the game refer to the mine as producing iron ore; the mine as implemented in the base game produces ebony ore. That seems like an error, doesn't it? I can see why a project whose goal is to eliminate errors would make this change.

(I'm not trying to be like "rah rah you're playing the game wrong", I guess I'm mostly just fascinated how we have such opposite views of USKP. I once read the whole list of things it fixes, and had to take a nap because of how egregious some of those original bugs/errors/inconsistencies were. When I woke up I resolved to never play without the unofficial patch.)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Some changes are pleasant, others are going to be "WTF?" like making Shor's Stone an iron mine.
    UESP says that everyone and everything in the game refer to the mine as producing iron ore; the mine as implemented in the base game produces ebony ore. That seems like an error, doesn't it? I can see why a project whose goal is to eliminate errors would make this change.

(I'm not trying to be like "rah rah you're playing the game wrong", I guess I'm mostly just fascinated how we have such opposite views of USKP. I once read the whole list of things it fixes, and had to take a nap because of how egregious some of those original bugs/errors/inconsistencies were. When I woke up I resolved to never play without the unofficial patch.)

That mine has a whole storyline. It is an iron mine, but if you listen to the miners the iron is drying up, it's a dying mine.

Then they break down to a lower level and get attacked by spiders before they actually get a chance to realize they've struck ebony, and far from being a dying mine, they are about to become very wealthy.

They did manage to get an ore sample before they were chased out of the mine, which is why the alchemist over in Riften sends you on a fetch quest to pick up the ore sample from Shor's Stone so she can identify the mystery ore.

Just changing it to an iron mine is the result of a very shallow reading of the situation.

I guess I just don't like people who assume they know better than the people who made the game. Hence my annoyance at Immersive Weapons and its "Dude, you did this wrong, everyone in Skyrim should have a Japanese weapon."

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    The thing is though, yeah, in most cases they do know better than the people who made the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    The thing is though, yeah, in most cases they do know better than the people who made the game.

In the case of obvious bugs and such, sure OK. But like the Shor's Stone situation? Sorry, if it were supposed to be an iron mine it would be an iron mine. It's supposed to be an ebony mine and that's why it is one.

If you want to mod it to be an iron mine, that's perfectly fine. But don't say you're correcting a Bethesda error in doing so.

• Options
    I could just as easily say that Schlongs of Skyrim is a bug fix.

Clearly, men are supposed to have penises. This mod merely corrects that bug. In fact, it's not even a mod, it's an unofficial penis patch.

• Options
    But seriously, the last time this came in the previous thread everyone was all angry about my strong opinion on this matter. I don't see why anyone wants to discuss it with me now. Lets just leave it be.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Make sure to consult your doctor before getting an unofficial penis patch.

This discussion has been closed.