As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] in which we discuss modding and murder Thalmor on sight

• Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    Remember that Morrowind's trading system lets you effectively barter for things. You can buy and sell a ton of stuff in a single transaction worth more than either of you have as long as the end result stays within budget. The enchanter in the Balmora mage's guild has some expensive souls to trade, if you didn't already steal them from her.

Once you have enough liquid funds you can buy super powerful enchantments, then sell all your unneeded stuff to the now rich enchanter(just make sure you open the barter window before making the enchantment, sometimes the game forgets to actually put the money in the merchant's inventory otherwise). Ebony short swords paid for all of my gamebreaking gear that way.

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    It took a while to realize the innkeeper's quest in Ivarstead is basically Scooby-Doo

guy pretends to be a ghost to scare away the locals for a treasure

although he has a flaw in his plan, that the innkeeper had the claw key he needed, but he kept everyone scared away

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Mars wrote: »
    Remember that Morrowind's trading system lets you effectively barter for things. You can buy and sell a ton of stuff in a single transaction worth more than either of you have as long as the end result stays within budget. The enchanter in the Balmora mage's guild has some expensive souls to trade, if you didn't already steal them from her.

Once you have enough liquid funds you can buy super powerful enchantments, then sell all your unneeded stuff to the now rich enchanter(just make sure you open the barter window before making the enchantment, sometimes the game forgets to actually put the money in the merchant's inventory otherwise). Ebony short swords paid for all of my gamebreaking gear that way.

Oh, that's a good point. Maybe I can finally get that stupid expensive demon sword.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    If you haven't found it already, there is a special trader in Caldera that has exactly 5000 gold to trade with. And you can sell items at a very favourable price.
    There's a scamp in a house full of orcs that is the trader, probably the best one in the game.
    There's also a mudcrab merchant but I've never actually gone and found it.

All this Morrowind talk is giving me the itch to play it yet again. I got the GOTY with everything all in, but I've never actually played any of the expansion content.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Hjorvarthr wrote: »
    It took a while to realize the innkeeper's quest in Ivarstead is basically Scooby-Doo

guy pretends to be a ghost to scare away the locals for a treasure

although he has a flaw in his plan, that the innkeeper had the claw key he needed, but he kept everyone scared away

Except that tomb really is filled with tons of undead.

Try doing it as a level 1, it's downright harrowing.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I never found the other trader that had twice the septims.

I also miss how weird some of those bases could get with the main quest.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Levitation broke Morrowind
    Chameleon broke Oblivion

Thank god they took that shit away. Like, Dwemer ruins were completely pointless in Morrowind if you had the Boots of Blinding Speed, something to counteract the blind effect with, and Levitation.

Anyway, in Skyrim, after 180 hours of playtime, modding in flight just feels so right. There's so many goddamned quests, and you're the Dragonborn anyway, so fuck not flying. At least not outdoors, and after you've already done a lot of stuff in the game.
    Yeah, but maxed-out Enchanting and Blacksmithing also break Skyrim, and for my money, levitation is a MUCH more interesting game-breaking feature to have than say the wacky bonuses maxed out Enchanting lets you have.

Like, levitation created an entirely different way to interact with the world. It was one of my favorite things about that game. I feel like I would be OK with some game feature/subsystem trivializing some aspect of the game if it also unlocked another dimension of the game world - in the case of levitation/flight, literally. Yes, it trivialized combat, but it now let you explore otherwise-unexplorable caverns, and let you fly up to inaccessible mountaintops for amazing views. Skyrim's game-breaking feature lets me... stunlock dragons with cost-free destruction spells. Not quite the same thing.

I wasn't even talking about combat, it was the exploration element of Morrowind that Levitation broke. That was what I meant by it making the Dwemer ruins "pointless" - elevation is a key aspect of many underground puzzles. The ability to fly around them essentially ruins the puzzles. The player has no real impetus to not fly around.

And Chameleon in Oblivion literally broke the game. I'm not using "broke the game" in the same context as I feel Levitation broke Morrowind - I mean, literally the game didn't know how to properly handle 100% Chameleon. There's nothing to counterbalance it, no penalty for wearing a full stealth suit. NPCs literally can't interact with you at all. You hit them and they immediately forget you hit them and stand stupidly in place. Chameleon is literally game breaking because the game doesn't react to it in any sensible or logical way.

Smithing and Enchanting certainly trivialize combat once you spend the 30-40 hours it takes to master those skills and make weapons of max (non-glitch) caliber, but not nearly as much as these features break the previous two games.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Levitation broke Morrowind
    Chameleon broke Oblivion

Thank god they took that shit away. Like, Dwemer ruins were completely pointless in Morrowind if you had the Boots of Blinding Speed, something to counteract the blind effect with, and Levitation.

Anyway, in Skyrim, after 180 hours of playtime, modding in flight just feels so right. There's so many goddamned quests, and you're the Dragonborn anyway, so fuck not flying. At least not outdoors, and after you've already done a lot of stuff in the game.
    Yeah, but maxed-out Enchanting and Blacksmithing also break Skyrim, and for my money, levitation is a MUCH more interesting game-breaking feature to have than say the wacky bonuses maxed out Enchanting lets you have.

Like, levitation created an entirely different way to interact with the world. It was one of my favorite things about that game. I feel like I would be OK with some game feature/subsystem trivializing some aspect of the game if it also unlocked another dimension of the game world - in the case of levitation/flight, literally. Yes, it trivialized combat, but it now let you explore otherwise-unexplorable caverns, and let you fly up to inaccessible mountaintops for amazing views. Skyrim's game-breaking feature lets me... stunlock dragons with cost-free destruction spells. Not quite the same thing.

I wasn't even talking about combat, it was the exploration element of Morrowind that Levitation broke. That was what I meant by it making the Dwemer ruins "pointless" - elevation is a key aspect of many underground puzzles. The ability to fly around them essentially ruins the puzzles. The player has no real impetus to not fly around.

And Chameleon in Oblivion literally broke the game. I'm not using "broke the game" in the same context as I feel Levitation broke Morrowind - I mean, literally the game didn't know how to properly handle 100% Chameleon. There's nothing to counterbalance it, no penalty for wearing a full stealth suit. NPCs literally can't interact with you at all. You hit them and they immediately forget you hit them and stand stupidly in place. Chameleon is literally game breaking because the game doesn't react to it in any sensible or logical way.

Smithing and Enchanting certainly trivialize combat once you spend the 30-40 hours it takes to master those skills and make weapons of max (non-glitch) caliber, but not nearly as much as these features break the previous two games.

I whole heartedly agree with this, it was leaps and bounds more broken than the other issues you mentioned. That orc that offers you a job (it was actually a well written quest), he shows up in the inn in a set of armor that has a 40% cameleon effect on it, meaning he's invisible the entire time I'm talking to him, effectively cluing me into the fact that something is going to go wrong on this quest.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    *sigh* Console + DLC just isn't enough anymore and I want some mods. Steam has the Ultimate Edition for $40.

I can get the collection (which includes the Ultimate version) for $30.

So I guess I'm getting 4 extra games.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Can anyone help me with the following? I've installed the game via Steam, I've installed the Mod Organizer and a bunch of mods. They're all ticked, both on the left and on the right - yet when I start the game, I'm pretty sure none of the mods are active. When I start the Skyrim Launcher instead of the game itself, the Data Files option is greyed out, so I can't check if the mods are listed and active.

Is there some obvious step that I'm missing? Do I need to fiddle with the .ini files or with the Mod Organizer's setup so it actually activates the mods? Is there a way in-game to check which mods are running? I've looked for an easy how-to guide, but nothing I've found seems altogether clear.

Edit: I haven't tried it yet, but I expect the solution suggested at this link will help. I should really always spend five more minutes on Google before asking for help...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with the following? I've installed the game via Steam, I've installed the Mod Organizer and a bunch of mods. They're all ticked, both on the left and on the right - yet when I start the game, I'm pretty sure none of the mods are active. When I start the Skyrim Launcher instead of the game itself, the Data Files option is greyed out, so I can't check if the mods are listed and active.

Is there some obvious step that I'm missing? Do I need to fiddle with the .ini files or with the Mod Organizer's setup so it actually activates the mods? Is there a way in-game to check which mods are running? I've looked for an easy how-to guide, but nothing I've found seems altogether clear.

Edit: I haven't tried it yet, but I expect the solution suggested at this link will help. I should really always spend five more minutes on Google before asking for help...

You have to start the game through Mod Organizer. It creates a virtual Skyrim install so if you try to launch it outside of MO it won't think anything is installed.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah full chameleon in Oblivion was just plain 100% broken no way around it.

Not even fun broken like fly-jumping around in Morrowind while blasting entire towns with giant fireballs

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

You have to start the game through Mod Organizer. It creates a virtual Skyrim install so if you try to launch it outside of MO it won't think anything is installed.

MO can create a shortcut for you so you don't have to open it.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say that the tip in that thread helped - it was all due to the Script Extender not being installed properly. Once it was, MO did all the rest as it should, so I'm now finally a new inhabitant of Skyrim. Wish me luck! (I do wish I didn't have to make up my mind about the factions pretty much first thing, before I've much of a clue what they stand for...)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm a little sad that the main Solstheim quest involves helping more Nord out instead of going full on with the Dunmer. It'd have been nice to get a break from the Nord and get a big ole helping of Morrowind style shenanigans for a bit. Chill with the Houses, do some Skooma with some politicians behind closed doors, you know, that sorta thing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say that the tip in that thread helped - it was all due to the Script Extender not being installed properly. Once it was, MO did all the rest as it should, so I'm now finally a new inhabitant of Skyrim. Wish me luck! (I do wish I didn't have to make up my mind about the factions pretty much first thing, before I've much of a clue what they stand for...)

Yeah once you're using the skse you can't launch the app the vanilla way anymore.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Yeah once you're using the skse you can't launch the app the vanilla way anymore.

Unless you do some file renaming.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm a little sad that the main Solstheim quest involves helping more Nord out instead of going full on with the Dunmer. It'd have been nice to get a break from the Nord and get a big ole helping of Morrowind style shenanigans for a bit. Chill with the Houses, do some Skooma with some politicians behind closed doors, you know, that sorta thing.

was sad the Tong stuff wasn't expanded on
    Especially since Sapphire in TG had some resolution, there was another guy, was a Tong member apparently not know they were doing stuff on Solstheim

that also another dumb moment, "Don't tell the DB" *is the Listener*, yeah sure buddy

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Especially since Sapphire in TG had some resolution, there was another guy, was a Tong member apparently not know they were doing stuff on Solstheim

that also another dumb moment, "Don't tell the DB" *is the Listener*, yeah sure buddy

The almost total lack of awareness that you're in other guilds is sometimes hugely jarring. Maven threatening to send the DB after you when you're the Listener is another example from vanilla. Oblivion takes the cake with a Thieves Guild mission to steal from yourself if you're the Archmage.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

The almost total lack of awareness that you're in other guilds is sometimes hugely jarring. Maven threatening to send the DB after you when you're the Listener is another example from vanilla. Oblivion takes the cake with a Thieves Guild mission to steal from yourself if you're the Archmage.

It should be noted that your Oblivion example is at least pointed out in your journal. Unless that was a thing the unofficial patch added, I'm not seeing anything about it on UESP.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

Heh. That's interesting. I never thought of it that way. I always roleplay different character types so I didn't run into those shenanigans.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Heh. That's interesting. I never thought of it that way. I always roleplay different character types so I didn't run into those shenanigans.

It's a little tougher to do multiple disciplines on a character in Skyrim but pre-Skyrim a lot of character roles straddled more than one specialty. I usually had a good amount of Illusionist ability on my rogues.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I liked the fact that the Skaal provide a lot of lore about the early belief systems of Skyrim before the Imperial version was stamped over it. I found their fictional culture to be very interesting, interesting enough that I had a character "go native" and basically become a skaal.

• Options
    that's what I liked a lot about Morrowind, some guilds did not like each other, like the Fighters' and Thieves' Guild

and the Great Houses

• Options
    edited February 2015
    that's what I liked a lot about Morrowind, some guilds did not like each other, like the Fighters' and Thieves' Guild

and the Great Houses

That interplay is something I'm still really missing from Skyrim. Skyrim is a definite improvement over Oblivion but it's still lacking Morrowind's oomph.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

and the Great Houses

I like that at least some of the DB and Thieves Guild members will comment on the other organization, eg. why they chose one over the other or Delvin seeming to acknowledge that you're a member of both during one of the early DB quests. The Companions and College feel like they don't even know the other exists.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ulag, I'm the fucking Archmage of Winterhold, if I tell you I want the books about the Elder Scrolls you'll fucking give them to me because I fucking said so.

And man, doing the main quest really drives home that everyone just sorta accepts that you're the Dragonborn without even asking for a shout demonstration for proof or a library card, or fucking something, anything. "Oh, you're the Dragonborn? Ok, I'll get right on that!" Yeah, and I'm also the reincarnation of Uriel Septim, you going to believe that too just cause I said so?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Actually, there's this one quest...

(I know, I know, different Septim.)

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It'd be nice if at least the vampires from Dawnguard would take notice that I'm the Archmage. Let's go to the College about 5 times to get info, and just gloss over that I run the damn place. We'll go to my ridiculous quarters as you watch me put shit away in cabinets, disenchant stuff, sleep in the Arch-Mage's bed, and not put 2-and-2 together. "Oh, have you been to the College?" are you fucking serious?

And, not that it doesn't happen enough as it is, but when I kill a dragon in front of you fuckers, and I reap its soul, I would appreciate some slight acknowledgement that I might be more than Harkon's goddamn lackey. I summon a dragon from Awful Place 03 and it kills Dawnguard soldiers, nobody gives a shit.

Granted, maybe it's because I haven't done anything in the main quest yet, outside of helping Whiterun, so maybe my character doesn't know he's the Dragonborn yet? I dunno. All I know is that these fucking vampires are going to learn what it means if they keep refusing to tell me how great I am. (My characters require a lot of NPC validation)

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    That always bugged me.

Especially since all the guards shift to, "OH YOUR FROM THAT COLLEGE!?" and generic mage lines, when i'm like, "NAH BRO, I RUN THAT SHIT"

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I've always wished that there was some sort of Iron Fist possibility during the main quest when you assemble everyone from the civil war. A "You will all sit down and shut the fuck up or I will shout everyone to death" possibility. A new empire was born, and the Dragonborn became the new Emperor, with Tullius and Stormcloak as his two Generals, as they marched all over Cyrodil and threw out the fucking Thalmor. It was a moment that many cheered for, to be quickly replaced with fear and dread, that the new Dragonborn Emperor might come and visit your village, and give a deadly speech.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the various guild storylines do more or less feel entirely separate form one another.

I guess it was a choice by the devs to not prevent you from doing everything.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    After playing a bunch of largely unmodded Morrowind, I wanted to restart with a modded run.

Does anyone have some experience with Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins or Sotha Sil Expanded? I didn't get to the end of the main quest and I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the vanilla dungeon, but I know the vanilla Clockwork City was pretty bad.

Also, I'm debating on a primary needs mod so what do people think about Necessities of Morrowind or one of the alternatives?

• Options
    Ulag, I'm the fucking Archmage of Winterhold, if I tell you I want the books about the Elder Scrolls you'll fucking give them to me because I fucking said so.

And man, doing the main quest really drives home that everyone just sorta accepts that you're the Dragonborn without even asking for a shout demonstration for proof or a library card, or fucking something, anything. "Oh, you're the Dragonborn? Ok, I'll get right on that!" Yeah, and I'm also the reincarnation of Uriel Septim, you going to believe that too just cause I said so?

I could buy people believing you're dragonborn as news would travel fast among the Nords about a legend having a living embodiment. What makes it so jarring for me is the whole disconnected questline thing where no one else outside the main quest acknowledges it. While the DB might shrug and view it as just another way to help murder people and Thieves' Guild may not really care, a Nord institution like the Companions feels like it should be gungho about helping train you and the College want to study your abilities.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Oh My GodOh My God Registered User regular

I could buy people believing you're dragonborn as news would travel fast among the Nords about a legend having a living embodiment. What makes it so jarring for me is the whole disconnected questline thing where no one else outside the main quest acknowledges it. While the DB might shrug and view it as just another way to help murder people and Thieves' Guild may not really care, a Nord institution like the Companions feels like it should be gungho about helping train you and the College want to study your abilities.

Right, the fact that there is a Dragonborn running around Skyrim might be generally known, but that fact that the PC in particular is the Dragonborn isn't something that is immediately apparent. A fun way they could have run with this, of course, would have been to have a poseur Dragonborn racking up bartabs, claiming to be you, and having to deal with both the distressed shopkeeps and eventually track down the scoundrel (a la Ultima 7).

• Options
    Well shitballs, something in the Morthal swamp is making me CTD.

• Options
    the various guild storylines do more or less feel entirely separate form one another.

I guess it was a choice by the devs to not prevent you from doing everything.

Yeah, the downside is that the game doesn't feel as cohesive as it could. It feels more like a bunch of individual adventure modules that are all set in the same world. Kinda like D&D Greyhawk campaigns.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

Swamp gas!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Swamp gas!

Wait, no....
    ?.jpeg
    ?.jpeg

Okay, maybe it was them annnnnnnddddd.....CTD at the brewery near Whiterun.

Fuck it, I'm just running through this game as fast as I can and.........

your avatar, I know where its from....I have the game sitting right at my feet!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeah full chameleon in Oblivion was just plain 100% broken no way around it.

Not even fun broken like fly-jumping around in Morrowind while blasting entire towns with giant fireballs

I did this. Every outdoor townsperson screaming their death throes at once I think even crashed my computer once.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.