As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Come For The [Final Fantasy XV] Demo, Stay For [Final Fantasy: Type-0 HD]!

124»

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    @Magic Pink

Heyyy so I tried out Deuce for a bit yesterday. She starts with her melee move already unlocked. Hold forward and the attack button and she'll pulse three melee bursts. Hold back and attack and she'll hop backward and drop a mine.

You never need to tap or mash attack to combo. Holding the button does the job just as well, and in the case of Jack, I actually can't reliably pull off his 3-hit attack string by mashing.

Once you buy Ace's finisher, hold back and attack and he'll stock up three blue cards above his head. Let go and he'll send all three at your lock-on target. It's not necessary, but it looks cool. I think you can let go of the stick once the first card appears.

Everyone has a forward+attack and a backward+attack. Some of them need to be unlocked, while others are on by default, like Deuce's and Queen's.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    two control inputs at the same time

madness

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    two control inputs at the same time

madness

I know, it's insane. But it lets Ace be kind of a beast in melee range with his forward+attack. And King's back+attack lets him...reload. That's not as fancy, but it's useful!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like playing melee classes. I've been using Machina because DRILL RAPIERS

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Although, King with his twin guns is pretty awesome. Just walk around shooting everything.

• Options
    I tried the whip sword and the scythe and they were just so dang slow. I tried King and he was ok but his damage is so low and his reload time is a HUGE pain in the ass.

• Options
    The whip sword combos like crazy though. Yeah it's slow but you can get like...10 hits in with that thing.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I tried the whip sword and the scythe and they were just so dang slow. I tried King and he was ok but his damage is so low and his reload time is a HUGE pain in the ass.

Just played a lot with King. Two things:

King is a melee character. He deals insane damage up close, especially with Point Blank Shot.

Do a dodge roll while he reloads to cancel the stall animation but still get bullets back.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Man, harvesting Phatoma is so freaking satisfying, especially when you kill surrounding enemies with the resulting AOE effect.

It's like harvesting organs in Metal Gear Rising, except you're also killing more enemies while doing it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hot damn Odin looks incredible in Type-0.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Man, harvesting Phatoma is so freaking satisfying, especially when you kill surrounding enemies with the resulting AOE effect.

It's like harvesting organs in Metal Gear Rising, except you're also killing more enemies while doing it.

I just wish it were more consistent

I sometimes have to re-lock on for it to.let me hit square and actually do it

• Options
    Teaser image from the end of FFXV's demo. Don't look if you prefer seeing it yourself in the game.
    finalfantasyxvcitydestroyedartwork.jpg

Yeah, this screams "playable female protagonist scenario" to me.

It's a damn striking image that instills confidence, even if they are changing her name from Stella to Luna.

Though I suspect Stella might be an alias she uses, since she has to go incognito like Noctis.

• Options

I just wish it were more consistent

I sometimes have to re-lock on for it to.let me hit square and actually do it

Yeah, I REALLY hate having to wait for it to "change over" from the attack to the Harvest prompt

• Options
    It's because for some reason you have to wait for the death animation to complete before you can harvest. Some of those death animations are really long. Hundlegs squirm around, Ahrimans flop on the ground, and those shield guys slooowwwwllyyy reach for their shields before finally croaking.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Teaser image from the end of FFXV's demo. Don't look if you prefer seeing it yourself in the game.
    finalfantasyxvcitydestroyedartwork.jpg

Yeah, this screams "playable female protagonist scenario" to me.

It's a damn striking image that instills confidence, even if they are changing her name from Stella to Luna.

Though I suspect Stella might be an alias she uses, since she has to go incognito like Noctis.

Is that the Golden Gate Bridge?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    It's because for some reason you have to wait for the death animation to complete before you can harvest. Some of those death animations are really long. Hundlegs squirm around, Ahrimans flop on the ground, and those shield guys slooowwwwllyyy reach for their shields before finally croaking.

Also, if you swing a giant, slow mace around, you need to stop spinning around before it will change over.

• Options
    Potential nightmare fuel, you've been warned.

It creeps the shit out of me that they put so much detail on the gums.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I don't want to spam the thread with videos every day, and I'm not sure it's even okay to post links anyway, so I just want to let people know that if you were enjoying the first video of my Type-0 LP I posted back on Wednesday, the second and third parts are up as well. I'll keep having new ones every Monday through Friday.

Also have a XV demo LP going, if people want to see more of that.

Finished the demo today. It was okay. Type-0 is really the reason to buy this package, though.

• Options
    I'll put your channel in the OP along with Renzo's Twitter.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Hey just a word of warning, the Giant Bomb Quick Look for Type-0 drops what seem to be major spoilers almost immediately.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I tried 3 times, I just cant get into Type-0 I've already listed to sell it.

Oh well, can't like em all.

• Options
    I got trolled hard in Chapter 3's second mission via an SO.
    SO: Survive for two minutes.

"Okay, I'll accept it. I'm doing pretty darn well in this mi-"

(L'cie shows up and instantly kills my active leader, then teleports away)

"Son of a bitch!"

(then he shows up again and kills everyone)

• Options
    Really loving where things are going with the story. For those curious, chapter

is where shit gets real.
    Also hit my first real tragic death with Aria.

The idea that she tries to warn the others only to get shot and killed, and we get this brief moment of shock and sorrow from the group, only to have them look at a dead body they don't recognize due to the memory wipe rule....it's pretty darn sad.

I also like how Machina is the right kind of angry protagonist.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I got trolled hard in Chapter 3's second mission via an SO.
    SO: Survive for two minutes.

"Okay, I'll accept it. I'm doing pretty darn well in this mi-"

(L'cie shows up and instantly kills my active leader, then teleports away)

"Son of a bitch!"

(then he shows up again and kills everyone)

That bit made me so salty. I learned how to get the avoid the penalty SO though!

• Options
    I think it's safe to say now that Type-0 is the darkest Final Fantasy to date, dethroning both FFVII and Tactics in my opinion.

This is probably the first JRPG I've ever played that doesn't whitewash the horrible consequences of war. Just engaging with some NPC banter in Chapter 4 brings up how your main party are far removed from being "heroes".

There's lots of stuff like this, like the one shopkeeper NPC surrounded by children who begs you to buy something so he can feed his family.

The tone is real appropriate too; everything just feels bleak and miserable, lacking that usual FF feeling of optimism that your heroes will eventually turn things around. So far the only tone surrounding your party is "just how fucked are we?".

Good stuff.

• Options
    I had a few conversations with some of the fan translation team regarding the tone of the game. We tried to stay faithful to the bleak tone, but there are also plenty of silly conversations and funny cutscenes that we needed to preserve.

So it was interesting trying to get a handle on how these people live in such a dangerous world, how some stay positive, and how others don't or at least feel like they can't.

• Options
    Well, the fact that they can still laugh and stay positive is thanks to (chapter 1 spoilers)
    the Vermillion crystal erasing their memories of the dead.

The cadets in Rubrum consider this a good thing, as it keeps them focused on their mission and frees them from their grief. Naturally this sounds like a horrible fate for those that die, but that's likely an intentional thing to show you how tied down they are to their crystal. They don't realize how awful the concept is, instead looking at it as a blessing.

The game still has a few amusing moments, but they feel much fewer and farther then in similarly bleak titles like FFVII or FFX. I always thought of Tactics as the most tragic FF game since there's almost zero lighthearted bits amidst all the casualties and betrayals, not to mention the way that game ended. But Type-0 is looking to outdo that and then some.

Also I've found myself personally disgusted by one particular character (Chapter 4 midway spoilers)
    the Commandant in Rubrum (the balding guy) is such a piece of shit.

He convinces Kurasame to join in the frontlines in the hopes that both he and Class Zero will die in battle.

Their whole society is being threatened by two nations and he's still scheming to have the group eliminated. It's petty and awful and exactly the sort of thing that would happen in real life.

• Options
    I just got to chapter 3 last night. That mission beforehand was hard. That fucking golem was an asshole.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    puke

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Not necessarily untrue. Having a cast as all-male to try and capture some of the spirit of a group of boys on an odyssey is a perfectly valid decision. It wasn't made all boys because that's just how it's done. It seem's there's been thought put into the decision.

If you don't think a group of guys going through a hell of a time while being with just some close guy friends is a fairly unique experience then I don't know what to say, because it has been for me in the past. Especially when I hired a convertible and drove across America, so you know, it resonates. It also isn't a feeling I think has ever been captured in videogames, definitely not in my knowledge.

There has previously been female only core cast member Final Fantasy's too, so gender exclusivity isn't new.

• Options
    For anyone who missed it, the Best Friends are LP'ing the FFXV demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h_qbR3azr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6SpaYsAFyY

It says 2 of 2 but the way it abruptly cuts leads me to think they will continue through the end (at least I hope so, I need to see their reactions to the summon).

There is a stark contrast in how the Best Friends are praising the game's virtues and doing surprisingly well with the combat compared to Giant Bomb's Quick Look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqVbO0hKXTE