As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Kojima is 51 years old, 1 year older than Guillermo del Toro; what if he just retires

Everyone knows Kojima is eternally 26 years old.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I wholly expect Kojima to retire. For about a year. And then the weird thing in his head will demand he gets a new thing out there. Maybe not a game, maybe he'll try and get into movies. ;P

It's like Hayao Miyazaki. That guy's been done for decades. And he retires every time, but ya can't keep him out of the studio, he'll be back in 14 months yelling about talking goldfish or aeronautical biopics or something.

Mostly I think Hayao's still in it because he's worried about Studio Ghibli, not his own personal satisfaction. It's clear his son didn't get nearly the same talent, and they need Hayao's imagination to keep things running until they find new talent.

Kojima is literally the opposite of this. He's giving his studio the finger, and can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Kojima got out before, IIRC he had no involvement with MGS: POOPs and then came back for Peace Walker because they'd done fucked up and he had to right it. So not entirely dissimilar!

Not really. Portable Ops came out before MGS4 and was developed by the Ghost Babel/Acid team. Kojima went straight from MGS4 to Peace Walker.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    iirc, post MGS3 kojima 'retired', resulting in portable ops, MGS4 initially was a kojima-less venture but be got pulled back in due to fans complaining and sending death threats

MGS4 was yet again stated to be the last one but I think he may have realised there was still more to the story that could be fleshed out/pressure from konami to keep making metal gears, there's an easter egg in the game hinting at future entries, and peace walker was originally billed as MGS5

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    And again, Peace Walker started without Kojima initially (iirc) but then Kojima popped his head in and went "nonono goddamnit this is how you do it"

Or so the story goes

The only deviation from that trend was Metal Gear Rising, where Kojima basically threw everything out and handed it off to Platinum, along with a cool portmanteau he took from the dictionary

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    And Revengeance was so much better for it. Best Metal Gear game ever.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    And Revengeance was so much better for it. Best Metal Gear game ever.

just like the good ol' days after 9/11

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    iirc, post MGS3 kojima 'retired', resulting in portable ops, MGS4 initially was a kojima-less venture but be got pulled back in due to fans complaining and sending death threats

MGS4 was yet again stated to be the last one but I think he may have realised there was still more to the story that could be fleshed out/pressure from konami to keep making metal gears, there's an easter egg in the game hinting at future entries, and peace walker was originally billed as MGS5

That doesn't sound right to me. Portable Ops was a bit of a rush job effort (hence the horrible controls, courtesy of Ryan Payton), with most of the staff coming straight over from Acid 2, and Kojima was already back on MGS4 by then.

But yes, there's a subset of MGS fans who are nuts. It's a pity Murata didn't get to direct MGS4 and hasn't directed anything since, he did an incredible job on ZOE2. It also sucks Nojiri's talent was wasted by Konami, after he did such a great job on Ghost Babel and Acid 2. NeverDead? Come on...

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Konami speaks... finally.
    In a statement to IGN, a Konami representative said “We are aware that the conjecture surrounding our recent changes has prompted a great deal of anxiety, for which we apologise.”

Konami’s statement continued to explain that, in addition to mobile gaming, “the Metal Gear and Silent Hill series, both beloved by countless fans around the globe, are also extremely important to Konami. We have nurtured them with care over many years since their inception, and will continue to produce products for both franchises, but we are not currently at a stage where we can announce the path these future titles will take.”

Regarding the more immediate future, Konami President and Representative Director Hideki Hayakawa explained to Nikkei that “Konami’s idea of Mobile First is not at all to focus purely on mobile games.”

“Our aim is to continue to build up a comprehensive portfolio of console, arcade, and card game titles for each IP while also making the best possible use of the mobile devices that accompany our customers in their daily life, thus expanding the limits of entertainment and appealing to more and more customers,” Hayakawa said.

Indeed, Konami is focusing on mobile, and it’s because the publisher is focusing on its own soil first and foremost.

“Japan is our primary market for mobile content,” said Hayakawa. He cited Japan as a smartphone leader, with approximately 50% market saturation – more than China and the United States. Hayakawa also explained that “the Japanese market is populated with consumers who are extremely particular and discerning, and it is this environment that has helped us polish game design quality to such a high level.”

This plays into Konami’s “centralized production division system,” which is a result of its company-wide reorganization that took place in March 2015. This is presently how Hideo Kojima and The Phantom Pain team operate at Konami. If Konami’s previous development structure was siloed, with individual teams operating on their own, now Konami has all teams “under one roof.”

“Until now, in addition to game development duties, our creators were handling a wide range of responsibilities including managerial roles,” Hayakawa said. This became incredibly complicated, and didn’t work with Konami’s apparent unification of teams, so “we have changed our approach to instead have managerial staff thoroughly focus on strategy and how their individual skills can be best applied, with that strategy then being executed together with the creative staff.”

The strength of Konami as a company, Hayakwa said, is in its “power to create groundbreaking IPs, and our power to refine them into progressively better products.” This “has been the driving force behind our business. However, whereas platforms to date were very limited, we now need to split our approaches between console, arcade, card, and mobile games to best suit the needs of the customer.”

Konami’s statement concluded, “Konami will continue to embrace the challenge of creating entertainment content via different platforms; across not only mobile platforms, but for home consoles, arcade units, and cards, to meet the changing needs of the times. Your support for our current endeavours, and your spurring us on to greater heights, are as always deeply appreciated.”

Well, that explains the Kojima weirdness and why the Love Plus guy left.

And I'm guessing their pinky-swear at future console support means they'll keep making that soccer game.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Do we have the full statement? Polygon posted excerpts too, some other stuff I don't see in that IGN one.

There's so much corporate-speak in there it's ridiculous. It does touch on what happened to Kojima though - they don't want the creative types also having the managerial roles. So, basically what a lot of rumors were - that Kojima had too much power within the company. If they were taking that away from him it's basically a huge demotion and makes sense as to why the split happened.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Konami wrote:
    KONAMI, as a company, underwent a major structural reorganization in March this year. The aim of this reform has been to guarantee that, in the quickly-changing digital entertainment industry where new game designs and platforms constantly alter the market environment, we can accurately observe new customer demands and market trends, and apply our long-established technology and knowhow quickly and effectively with a range of targeted responses.

Let's review this with the corporate buzzword/phrase drinking game!
    ...major structural reorganization...
    Drink!
    ...quickly-changing digital entertainment industry..
    Drink!
    ...constantly alter the market environment...
    Drink!
    ...accurately observe new customer demands and market trends...
    Two drinks!
    ...range of targeted responses.
    Drink!

On a scale of one to ten, I'm pretty drunk.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Konami wrote:
    KONAMI, as a company, underwent a major structural reorganization in March this year. The aim of this reform has been to guarantee that, in the quickly-changing digital entertainment industry where new game designs and platforms constantly alter the market environment, we can accurately observe new customer demands and market trends, and apply our long-established technology and knowhow quickly and effectively with a range of targeted responses.

Let's review this with the corporate buzzword/phrase drinking game!
    ...major structural reorganization...
    Drink!
    ...quickly-changing digital entertainment industry..
    Drink!
    ...constantly alter the market environment...
    Drink!
    ...accurately observe new customer demands and market trends...
    Two drinks!
    ...range of targeted responses.
    Drink!

On a scale of one to ten, I'm pretty drunk.

Hey wait...
    Kotaku wrote:

Take a drink for every buzzword! Actually, don’t do that. It sounds dangerous.

Patrick, is that you!? :P

Source

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGy46iB58k

I can't even reasonably say this is bullshit.

I honestly have no idea what to expect from this Arkham Asylum of a company anymore.

I can tell you this though. In no way would this qualify as "good news". Not because of the XB1 exclusivity, but because as I said before, who in the flying fuck would ever trust these people after all this?

If Silent Hills does continue without Kojima and Del Toro, I don't want shit to do with it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If that's true... GDI Microsoft, use your offshore billions to buy the Suikoden franchise too! :P

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If that's true... GDI Microsoft, use your offshore billions to buy the Suikoden franchise too! :P

I...can't argue with this. Xbox should just throw money to aquire Japan RPGs.

Xbox to buy Persona exclusivity. Internet riots ensue. Phil Spencer can't be reached because he is too busy eating money.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    suikoden franchise is worthless without muriyama

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That is like, 97% likely to be bullshit.

But I would also have said the same if you told me 3 months back that Kojima would be fired and Silent Hills cancelled, so...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I could've maybe kinda bought that until they said SH was about 80% done which is so much bullshit that it makes the rest of it exponentially bullshit by association.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Muriyama is sitting at home. All of a sudden, a knock at the door. He goes to answer it. Nobody is there.

Returning to his living room he finds Phil Spencer is seated at his couch. Legs crossed, European style.

"It's time to gather the 108 Stars of Destiny again." he says. "Whatever the hell those things are."

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Not to mention Microsoft spending billions on Silent Hill as a franchise which is absurdly overvalued after Konami salted the fucking earth with it with what would've been a PlayStation exclusive is the very antithesis of sense in every universe.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    MS has tried this strategy again and again, mainly to try and curry favor with the Japanese market.

It's never worked.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    That would be huge, but I think way too much to pay. Now if that includes Castlevania or something.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Didn't Lost Odyssey do pretty well in Japan, or am I misremembering?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Muriyama is sitting at home. All of a sudden, a knock at the door. He goes to answer it. Nobody is there.

Returning to his living room he finds Phil Spencer is seated at his couch. Legs crossed, European style.

"It's time to gather the 108 Stars of Destiny again." he says. "Whatever the hell those things are."

"I'm here to talk to you about the Suikoden Inititative."

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    There's also the issue of whether Konami would even sell the franchise for anything.

Considering they've done fuck-all with all the Hudson characters they've acquired, I'm guessing the answer is no.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Millon's Secret Castle HD. 4000% more rooms, puzzles, and 900000000% less hints on how to proceed. Do I have an opening bid for the rights?!

• Options
    Millon's Secret Castle HD. 4000% more rooms, puzzles, and 900000000% less hints on how to proceed. Do I have an opening bid for the rights?!

Obviously that's going to be a gritty reboot of the franchise. Think Dark Souls, only with bubbles and bees.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The Stars of Destiny never didn't seem extraneous. There was always like one or two conversations per game that tried to make a big deal out of them, but it just seemed like you were being accosted by a madman.

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    That Silent Hills rumor is absolute bull, but if the unthinkable happens and it is actually real, that would be the megaton to end all megatons. Only HL3 could top it.

Butcher on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    MS has tried this strategy again and again, mainly to try and curry favor with the Japanese market.

It's never worked.

Well in this case if they bought any of Konami's catalog they'd be currying favor with US gamers that want genres Sony is providing which is what they want.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    PLA wrote: »
    The Stars of Destiny never didn't seem extraneous. There was always like one or two conversations per game that tried to make a big deal out of them, but it just seemed like you were being accosted by a madman destiny.

FTFY.

108 Hostages of Destiny

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

It's never worked.

Last time they tried this strategy, they produced Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, so

I wouldn't mind at all if they tried again :P

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    They've done this a shitload with Visual Novel console ports and SHUMPS. The VNs, without fail, come to the Playstation in a year (or less) once the timed exclusivity runs out. Though the Bullet Hells stay exclusive a lot.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Not to mention Microsoft spending billions on Silent Hill as a franchise which is absurdly overvalued after Konami salted the fucking earth with it with what would've been a PlayStation exclusive is the very antithesis of sense in every universe.

In what universe was this going to be PS exclusive? Just because the demo was?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    pawa24 wrote: »

Yeah, Silent Hills was never mentioned as a PlayStation Exclusive.

Not that it matters though, because the game is dead and burred.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yes, it might get stuck on your clothes.

• Options
    pawa24 wrote: »

Fair, I guess. I didn't really think about it on XBone at all because of P.T., but that doesn't really preclude it from anything.

In retrospect, Sony probably paid for P.T. exclusivity and must've been pissed at how that went.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    There was a rumour here
    It's gone now