Options

[Chat] off Samar

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Watch the whole video, to see the spotters get blasted at the end. Quite fun.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Microsoft Access should be renamed Microsoft Inaccesible. Or Microsoft Asshole. Or just "Fuck You".

Microsoft WeDon'tHaveADatabaseAdminEvenThoughWeShould

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    MS Access is so motherfucking slow over a network.

Access is a bit of a motherfucker in general.

Never use the access JET database over a network.

Never.

Use access to build the front end, and spin out an MDE client that connects to an external database, like MSSQL or any other ODBC client database.

In this scenario, access can actually be kind of great for quickly fabricating a working database client in short order.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    japan wrote: »
    It was either Greece or Turkey that held a few British plane-spotters on espionage charges and couldn't get their heads round the idea that there are British people that hang around airports noting down tail numbers for fun.

to be fair

I never understood this phrase. How can I be this?

<snip> 1.38 MB picture of a county fair <snip>
    No, not that kind of fair. THIS kind of fair...

1308175838_mirror-on-the-wall-241x300.jpg

Obviously, you have to be Snow White. Duh.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Rush Limbaugh is talking about 4 Americans currently being held by Iran - I remember Iran had those three hikers who wandered over the border and Iran held them for ransom charged them with spying. They let the woman go so that's two left. Who are the other two Americans?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/these-are-four-americans-iran-trump-wants-freed-n391986

Oh. Iran released all 3 hikers years ago. Whoops.

Yeah I remember having a very victim-blamey thought on that when that happened.

Maybe don't go hiking near the Iranian border, geniuses.

They crossed over, didn't they?

I'm not really sure it counts as victim blaming to be like "what did you expect?" when somebody gets arrested for breaking a reasonable law

The reasonable penalty for accidental crossing a border is to simply put them on the other side of it, and in the case of wealthier people (as opposed to impoverished war refugees or the like), you can even make/allow them to transport themselves out of the country.

Yes, it was foolish, but it is foolish in the way that interacting with evil people is dangerous, which, while accurate, also isn't morally blameworthy.

How do you accidentally cross a border in those parts?

I know a guy that claimed to have accidentally invaded Iraq a couple of years after the first gulf war so prolly easier than you would think.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Rush Limbaugh is talking about 4 Americans currently being held by Iran - I remember Iran had those three hikers who wandered over the border and Iran held them for ransom charged them with spying. They let the woman go so that's two left. Who are the other two Americans?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iran-nuclear-talks/these-are-four-americans-iran-trump-wants-freed-n391986

I'm not really sure it counts as victim blaming to be like "what did you expect?" when somebody gets arrested for breaking a reasonable law

The reasonable penalty for accidental crossing a border is to simply put them on the other side of it, and in the case of wealthier people (as opposed to impoverished war refugees or the like), you can even make/allow them to transport themselves out of the country.

Yes, it was foolish, but it is foolish in the way that interacting with evil people is dangerous, which, while accurate, also isn't morally blameworthy.

I remember news channels visiting the area where they crossed, taking footage. The border was a large, unmarked ditch about 4 feet deep. No fences, no signs.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Never.

Use access to build the front end, and spin out an MDE client that connects to an external database, like MSSQL or any other ODBC client database.

In this scenario, access can actually be kind of great for quickly fabricating a working database client in short order.

way easier to write a good friend end without access

the .NET tools for talking to SQL are very good

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    In other news, I secured the work of an artist and I am getting deeper into the engine of my game.

It's interesting being at such a point where almost everything is fluid. I have gone from knowing I was going to build a 3d first person view to a side scroller instead, with almost no meaningful change in the mechanics, but a much more coherent art style as a result that lets me show off all the items on the party members (and incentivize people to buy more of them either in-game or with IAP).

Also, I am shifting from real-time to turn based. Just fits the mechanics a lot better.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I mean I'm not saying it isn't a super strict punishment to imprison them, I just meant reasonable law as like, it's not a crazy nonsense law. We fine people crossing the border with russia, too. Mainly tourists.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I am going to have to pay money, but I really hope I can fix these shoes. :(

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Never.

should use perl of course

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Microsoft Access should be renamed Microsoft Inaccesible. Or Microsoft Asshole. Or just "Fuck You".

Microsoft WeDon'tHaveADatabaseAdminEvenThoughWeShould

Guess what I have been doing since April!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    *rises from the ashes of his melancholy*

*sips energy drink*

sup

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    TCzvOHnl.jpg

The poor people who have to work at that gas station

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I'm on my phone and have no idea how big that image is. If it's ginormous please tell me. Unless you hate me, then don't tell me. Go ahead. Get me thrown in the slammer. Or worse, banned. GO AHEAD. FINE. WHATEVER!

duckpick.jpg
    @Drez It's 1.38 MB, I think. Too big.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

"Microsoft Upper Decker"

Not your problem, but the next few guys are going to have to deal with a big old bowl of shit.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Ignore the noise and deal honestly and righteously with the signal. There's no overarching group of feminism and wishing there was doesn't justify anything.

Maybe you should get yourself some groups, get something done

Yes hello how may this be done

burn your two-party system to the ground, for a start

hmmm yes approved you have my axe

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gim wrote: »
    TCzvOHnl.jpg

The poor people who have to work at that gas station

So suspicious.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Never.

I don't have time to do this right, unfortunately. I have to build a report writer from scratch by CoB today. I would have been done 2 hours ago if it didn't take 5-10 minutes to update every goddamned fucking query.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I'm gonna take another run at this code. been so busy with house stuff and dying of stress due to house stuff I haven't touched it in a few days.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    interesting

it seems the forum is stripping out some kinds of unicode now

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Also, since I happened upon it, fun facts: the border agreement with russia is our oldest agreement with russia that is still in force, from the convention of 1826

our border with sweden is based on the convention of 1661

real old border, that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Never.

Not if the person lacks development skills, or the time needed to debug it.

There is a large world full of people out there who know VBA fairly well through things like Excel, but would struggle in a big way with trying to understand MVC concepts when all they want is a simple database.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    interesting

I tried posting some Akkadian Cuneiform the other day and it wouldn't let me

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    I mean I'm not saying it isn't a super strict punishment to imprison them, I just meant reasonable law as like, it's not a crazy nonsense law. We fine people crossing the border with russia, too. Mainly tourists.

Were they arrested because they crossed the border or were they arrested because they were Americans and the border stuff was a convenient-but-bullshit opportunity for Iran to mock The Great Satan?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I'm literally on the phone getting requirements while building this. At the end I joked "okay, now I just need a BRD..." but of course I'm in the business and won't get one. I wrote requirements into a notepad doc. Awesome.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Houn wrote: »
    It was either Greece or Turkey that held a few British plane-spotters on espionage charges and couldn't get their heads round the idea that there are British people that hang around airports noting down tail numbers for fun.

That seems like a great hobby for people who also have a hobby of being arrested.

Oh it looks suspicious as fuck. It's the same kind of thing as trainspotting:
    wiki wrote:
    Those who are "trainspotters" make an effort to "spot" all of a certain type of rolling stock. This might be a particular class of locomotive, a particular type of carriage or all the rolling stock of a particular company. To this end, they collect and exchange detailed information about the movements of locomotives and other equipment on the railway network, and become very knowledgeable about its operations. When a trainspotter sees a train that they have not yet seen before, it is referred to in the hobby as a "cop".

So if you are unfamiliar with the hobby it is a natural reaction to discovering a person exhaustively cataloguing the details and movements of aircraft.

It's not restricted or private information, though. The numbers are right there on the plane for all to see.

I actually kinda fear ARG; imagine a world where they don't put numbers on the planes, and only people authorized to know can see them via their google glass for whatever.

Extrapolate to your favorite slippery slope.

Gathering information that is not in itself restricted or private can still be illegal information gathering, or even espionage, in a lot if not most jurisdictions

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    My friend keeps getting credited as the person who coined the term "Die cis scum". Its super funny, but she didnt make it up...

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    E1YRsXQ.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2015
    does lenny face still work?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

indeed it does

interestin

(_̅_̅_̅_̅_̲м̲a̲я̲i̲j­̲u̲a̲n̲a̲_̅_̅_̅()ด้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    newspaper clippings etc about armed forces and whatnot for the latter, or illegal registries of people for the first

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Never.

Not if the person lacks development skills, or the time needed to debug it.

There is a large world full of people out there who know VBA fairly well through things like Excel, but would struggle in a big way with trying to understand MVC concepts when all they want is a simple database.

Then they shouldn't be creating a database!

There's people whose job is to do those things, and not make some giant unmaintainable kludge that's going to collapse under it's own weight ten years after the guy who created it moves on.

It will be quicker, cheaper, and better in the long run to do things right.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    interesting

I wonder who could've possibly been abusing unicode enough to make them want to do that................

• Options
    Gjallarhorn is getting a debuff. That means nothing to most of you.
    Why I have spent 1000+ hours playing the game collecting everything? Are you a communist? Do you think someone who works harder should get the same as someone who does not work as hard?

And they are 100% serious. @Sir Landshark @desc @Chanus

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    interesting

I wonder who could've possibly been abusing unicode enough to make them want to do that................

was it me

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I remember news channels visiting the area where they crossed, taking footage. The border was a large, unmarked ditch about 4 feet deep. No fences, no signs.

borders being fenced is really really rare

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    interesting

Unicorns?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    does lenny face still work?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

indeed it does

interestin

(_̅_̅_̅_̅_̲м̲a̲я̲i̲j­̲u̲a̲n̲a̲_̅_̅_̅()ด้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็้็็็็็ด็็็็็้้้้้็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้

u no it doo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    interesting

ffs winky why wud u do this? ull just make them take it away from all of us!!!!!!!!!!!

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.