As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Here's a question: How well did BoJack get to know Charlotte before she left for Maine? Because it seemed to me that he actually really didn't know her that well (like he just saw her when she was around with Herb) and that was why she was sort of the focus of his What If? fantasy, because it let his mind fill in the blanks. But the show ended up being kind of ambiguous about it when she re-enters his life in season 2.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Here's a question: How well did BoJack get to know Charlotte before she left for Maine? Because it seemed to me that he actually really didn't know her that well (like he just saw her when she was around with Herb) and that was why she was sort of the focus of his What If? fantasy, because it let his mind fill in the blanks. But the show ended up being kind of ambiguous about it when she re-enters his life in season 2.

He barely knew her, that's why she was his What If. They just exchanged pleasantries at Herb's funeral and that's why she was surprised when he actually showed up.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

He barely knew her, that's why she was his What If. They just exchanged pleasantries at Herb's funeral and that's why she was surprised when he actually showed up.

Yeah, she makes it pretty explicit that their re-acquaintance was kinda an unexpected long-shot in Season 2.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I started watching this show, and kind of hated it for the first three or four episodes, but then stuck with it when I saw this thread, and now I'm a big fan. I think like a lot of character-focused shows, it can feel kind of thin until you're properly invested in the characters. I think season 2 was incredibly strong. In particular, S2 spoilers:
    I was happy about how the last episode ended. I wasn't expecting any kind of hopeful tone, especially given how disastrously some of the character arcs had proceeded.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I've never in my life watched a show that so deftly switches between flippant comedic bullshit and tiny moments of gut-wrenching sadness. I have no idea how this show was made and allowed to exist, but I'm happy it was. Fuck.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The season two scene with the cell phones and Todd is still the best thing that television has ever produced as media.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Watched Season 2 over the last few days. I liked it overall--the show is sometimes funny, sometimes sweet, and always sincere. People have difficult, honest, grown-up conversations about their feelings quite a bit on this show, and those conversations often feel more emotionally realistic than your average fare; the upshot is often that even if everyone wants things to work out on some level, and is even willing to do their best, sometimes that doesn't matter, because sometimes honesty and good intentions aren't enough to fix the very deep flaws and incompatibilities people have. That's interesting and textured, but christ what a downer it can be. Episode 11, particularly, I found
    the way New Mexico blew up to be pretty hard to stomach. I mean, even if Bojack hadn't done the last unforgivable thing, his behavior over the course of the prom night, and especially at the ER, was already really sick in a hard-to-watch way.

In general, I'm not sure how long they can keep Bojack from learning from his life. That he's grappling with his demons is the premise of the show, so I see that the writers can't have him learn too much too quickly. He can't just start making exclusively correct decisions or there wouldn't be anything to watch anymore (and, of course, that would not be realistic to the type of dysfunction they're trying to portray). But, at the same time, if he keeps maintaining the very same patterns, aka if he keeps ignoring the lesson of the very on-the-nose doctor joke--then it's going to get stale, at least for me. Although, as above, I like the sort of emotional terrain this show covers by way of its difficult, grown-up conversations, those conversations risked starting to blur together a bit for me. This may partially be a symptom of marathoning it, though.

In any case, I'm jazzed to see where they take things. I very much couldn't put it down, even when it bummed me out, and there aren't that many TV shows I can say that for. It certainly seems like an unusual offering (not just for the always funny magical realism involved in the setting).

MrMister on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Just caught another animal background joke on rewatch,

The goats mowing lawns, there's no bag, the grass fires directly into their mouth.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    MrMister wrote: »
    Watched Season 2 over the last few days. I liked it overall--the show is sometimes funny, sometimes sweet, and always sincere. People have difficult, honest, grown-up conversations about their feelings quite a bit on this show, and those conversations often feel more emotionally realistic than your average fare; the upshot is often that even if everyone wants things to work out on some level, and is even willing to do their best, sometimes that doesn't matter, because sometimes honesty and good intentions aren't enough to fix the very deep flaws and incompatibilities people have. That's interesting and textured, but christ what a downer it can be. Episode 11, particularly, I found
    the way New Mexico blew up to be pretty hard to stomach. I mean, even if Bojack hadn't done the last unforgivable thing, his behavior over the course of the prom night, and especially at the ER, was already really sick in a hard-to-watch way.

In general, I'm not sure how long they can keep Bojack from learning from his life. That he's grappling with his demons is the premise of the show, so I see that the writers can't have him learn too much too quickly. He can't just start making exclusively correct decisions or there wouldn't be anything to watch anymore (and, of course, that would not be realistic to the type of dysfunction they're trying to portray). But, at the same time, if he keeps maintaining the very same patterns, aka if he keeps ignoring the lesson of the very on-the-nose doctor joke--then it's going to get stale, at least for me. Although, as above, I like the sort of emotional terrain this show covers by way of its difficult, grown-up conversations, those conversations risked starting to blur together a bit for me. This may partially be a symptom of marathoning it, though.

In any case, I'm jazzed to see where they take things. I very much couldn't put it down, even when it bummed me out, and there aren't that many TV shows I can say that for. It certainly seems like an unusual offering (not just for the always funny magical realism involved in the setting).

I actually would have preferred them to not have done the last episode.
    New mexico was a much stronger ending. And why not have Todd be happy as a clam (happier than with Bojack) on the not scientology cruise ship? Giving Bojack freebies on this stuff could have waited till the next season. Now I kind of feel if a deus ex machina fixes everything every time; there's no point to watching it. Bojack on the deck of his boat, speeding across the states, was a guy who made peace with being a bad person. I'd be interested to see how that turned out for him. Now, we'll get what? Bojack meets New York celebrities?

Cornucopiist on
  • Options
    Another background spot, outside the fancy restaurant, there's a statue of an Elephant pissing in a crocodile's mouth.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I just watched season 2 and wow. I really enjoyed season 1 because I can relate to the self destructive cycle Bojack is caught in. Regarding episode 11 (because how can you not comment on that) I suspected from the first that the show might go that way but hoped it would not. I actually had to skip over the scene at the end, just to painful to watch. It also made me wonder how they are going to redeem him from that. In real life something like that marks you for life, your friends and family will look at you very differently. So how does he bounce back? I guess if Charlotte never tells anyone but still the guilt would be tremendous, even for an asshole like Bojack.

Really excited for season 3 though. I will probably re-watch the series a few times to try and catch all of the subtle bits of humor.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I still maintain that Bojack didn't do anything and he was telling her to leave. I don't think he'd cross that line.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I still maintain that Bojack didn't do anything and he was telling her to leave. I don't think he'd cross that line.

I agree. He's a pretty stubborn character, not likely to change his ways. He had no problem with Sarah Lynn in season one, but I do feel he wouldn't cross this other line he arbitrarily drew. Bojack isn't going to change (much) and his strong convictions are actually one of the only relatable facets of the character.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I tend to assume that the scene was one of those "Nobody will believe me and I don't deserve nice things anyway and so I'll just let them assume I'm this kind of monster too." things.

• Options
    yeah morally I think Bojack is a good person and he wouldn't cross that line no mater how much he wanted to leave with everyone hating him.
    His conflict is he doesn't believe he's worth anything and inflicts this crap on himself. That's why his Epiphany at the end of the season was " You have to work at being better and its hard but you can't stop"

• Options
    Heh, listen to the Bojack song at the dance, watch where his hands go, and realize what rhymes with Bojack.

• Options
    Blowback?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Blowback?

Take your hands and put them on your Asscrack/Buttcrack

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I recently got into this show and am working my way through season 2. I like it a lot, but I feel like Bojack's relationship with his mother is a bit much. She's too cartoonishly evil; I think I'd like it better if their history was more like what happened between Sarah Lynn and Bojack, with the parental figure giving very bad advice instead of being cruel.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I recently got into this show and am working my way through season 2. I like it a lot, but I feel like Bojack's relationship with his mother is a bit much. She's too cartoonishly evil; I think I'd like it better if their history was more like what happened between Sarah Lynn and Bojack, with the parental figure giving very bad advice instead of being cruel.

There's a lot of why Bojack is how he is tied into his parents though. I assume they're both dead given bojack is in his late 50's but I'd love the show to explore them a bit more and see if they had any redeeming qualities

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

There's a lot of why Bojack is how he is tied into his parents though. I assume they're both dead given bojack is in his late 50's but I'd love the show to explore them a bit more and see if they had any redeeming qualities

S2 Minor Spoiler:
    Mommy dearest shows up in the 1st or 2nd ep of S2. But it does seem like dad is dead.

• Options

S2 Minor Spoiler:
    Mommy dearest shows up in the 1st or 2nd ep of S2. But it does seem like dad is dead.

Gives us one of the best "worst" lines of the show too
    "You're Bojack Horseman, ain't no cure for that"

• Options

S2 Minor Spoiler:

I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch that I definitely missed that

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular

S2 Minor Spoiler:

Here's the conversation:

Aaand now I feel sad after rewatching it. Thanks, thread!

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

S2 Minor Spoiler:

Here's the conversation:

It gets easier..

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

S2 Minor Spoiler:

Here's the conversation:

It gets easier..

Liar.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

S2 Minor Spoiler:

Here's the conversation:

It gets easier..

Liar.

You gotta do it every day, that's the hard part

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Since it wasn't mentioned in the actual thread, Bojack Season 3 is set for July 22 supposedly.

What are your hopes and speculations for this season?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I honestly hope that Bojack gets his shit together.

There is no chance of that happening.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I heard some people wishing that Diane and Bojack get together and that just seems like such a fucking cop out and betrayal of the character arcs that have been built so far. The writers don't come off as that dumb.
    Quid wrote: »
    I honestly hope that Bojack gets his shit together.

There is no chance of that happening.

Is it bad that I feel success just feels wrong on Bojack? It's like rooting for Al Bundy. You want to see him succeed but come on now, it's Al Bundy

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Have y'all watched Flaked because I feel like it is a really good companion piece even though there is a lot less of it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would love for Bojack to get his shit together. Not necessarily succeed, as in movie deals, money fame etc... Just to make peace with his demons and his situation. Maybe some bridges are burned with Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter, Todd or Princess Carolyn, whatever.

I'd love for it just to end with him comfortable in his own skin, and be a functional adult.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Researching this show

The whole Diane thing with uncle Hank. So depressing

• Options
    Researching this show

The whole Diane thing with uncle Hank. So depressing

Depression is what this show is about.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I rewatched both seasons in preparation for S3.

Man, the implication that
    Sarah Lynn was molested by her stepdad
    is so fucking dark

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    I rewatched both seasons in preparation for S3.

Man, the implication that
    Sarah Lynn was molested by her stepdad
    is so fucking dark

The whole show is just laughing through the pain. Shit happens and people survive. Trigger warning.

(not trying to be an asshole, it's just, Bojack deals with shit that cripples people episode-to-episode, it's hard for me to point out one thing that is much darker than the others)

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it's Bojack's successes come in spite of himself, while still utterly failing at everything that he wants to succeed at.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Honestly, I think Bojack's successes all stem from the fact that he got super-lucky and crazy-rich early on in his career and that money can solve a hell of a lot of problems you may encounter.

I mean for real, you can fail upwards for a very long time if you just liberally apply money along the way.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I would love for Bojack to get his shit together. Not necessarily succeed, as in movie deals, money fame etc... Just to make peace with his demons and his situation. Maybe some bridges are burned with Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter, Todd or Princess Carolyn, whatever.

I'd love for it just to end with him comfortable in his own skin, and be a functional adult.

I think if anything, for him to get a happy ending he'll need to fail financially. As long as he's got those movie deals and money and fame, I don't see him ever reaching a state of true happiness, but I can absolutely picturing him losing everything and realizing that he's okay without it all.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think if anything, for him to get a happy ending he'll need to fail financially. As long as he's got those movie deals and money and fame, I don't see him ever reaching a state of true happiness, but I can absolutely picturing him losing everything and realizing that he's okay without it all.

That was kind of the Maine fantasy. You know until New Mexico happened.