As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    The 2007 references in episode 2 made me realise holy shit, 2007 is 9 years ago and old enough to have a distinct feel

Seems like only yesterday TV shows were using the 80s as their go-to decade
    This show doesn't take easy roads. It looks at Community and 30 Rock and their high-concept meta-cognizance and thinks "Yeah I can do that but with more spleen and somber moments".

Ep 5
    Albino rhino gyno. Who is a wine addict.

This goddamnatious show.

I JUST GOT THIS

what is the joke
    He's a Albino rhino gyno wino, but they just nod at wino.

Made it way too complicated in my head.

...you got that it was a vodka suppository though, right?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I can't deal with Bojack's and Princess' relationship and dynamic and dialogue. Can't.

NO EPISODE 11 YOU CAN STOP NOW YOU CAN STOP THERE IT'S FINE LIKE THIS.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I can't deal with Bojack's and Princess' relationship and dynamic and dialogue. Can't.

NO EPISODE 11 YOU CAN STOP NOW YOU CAN STOP AT 15 MINUTES IT'S FINE LIKE THIS.

Could you, uh, spoiler that?

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    That is actually an arbitrary timepoint in that episode and not a cliff or pivot in the plot, but I'm sorry anyway.

Absalon on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Episode 4 was awesome

Episode 5
    Is that Dr. Melfi or someone doing a really good impression
    Is that Kiefer Sutherland grunting joke supposed making fun of how he acts AND a reference to Metal Gear Solid?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I never really laugh much at the show much as I find it fascinating to watch, but ep 9 is just full of great comedy.

"I'll get it"

"Classic Boshack"

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I find it incredibly telling of this show that the only comments in this thread are about episodes 1-5 and episodes 11-12

in fairness, it was only released a day ago and most people haven't had the time/willingness to binge a whole season in that period

• Options
    edited July 2016

Could you, uh, spoiler that?
    wut?
    How is this a spoiler?

redx on
  • Options
    I finished the season.

Goddamn.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I have so many friends and coworkers who I know would LOVE this show if they actually gave it a shot, but the whole cartoon-animal-people aesthetic has already made them decide they wouldn't like it. It's really sad.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The 2007 references in episode 2 made me realise holy shit, 2007 is 9 years ago and old enough to have a distinct feel

Seems like only yesterday TV shows were using the 80s as their go-to decade
    This show doesn't take easy roads. It looks at Community and 30 Rock and their high-concept meta-cognizance and thinks "Yeah I can do that but with more spleen and somber moments".

Ep 5
    Albino rhino gyno. Who is a wine addict.

This goddamnatious show.
    He's the only albino rhino gyno wino I know.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I really had to dig through Netflix to find Bojack. Was kindof expecting a new season of one of their own in-house shows to be front and center. Seems weird. It's the kind of behavior I expect from a network trying to bury a show. But they just renewed it for S4 so...

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Well damn. That sure was a season, was gonna watch it over a few days but ended up binging. Really good.
    Honestly thought it would end with Bojack dying, but I guess him having a kid could shake up the formula enough for another season. Although I don't see how he can continue down on his path of self hate, he is pretty much at the bottom. And a redemption would somehow feel wrong.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I really had to dig through Netflix to find Bojack. Was kindof expecting a new season of one of their own in-house shows to be front and center. Seems weird. It's the kind of behavior I expect from a network trying to bury a show. But they just renewed it for S4 so...

It was right at the top with a "New Episodes" banner the morning it came out for me.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Episode 4 was beautiful. Holy shit.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok thread I need help, I want a
    " I had a ball at Diane's 35th birthday and underline ball I don't know why this is so hard" shirt

But the few I've found so far all seem to be just awful quality/basically iron on's, has there been a better quality version of that shirt?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Episode 6
    What art style did that lady come from?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I have so many friends and coworkers who I know would LOVE this show if they actually gave it a shot, but the whole cartoon-animal-people aesthetic has already made them decide they wouldn't like it. It's really sad.

that just reminded me of my favorite background joke so far (episode 10)
    Best Supporting Actor:
    Mark Buffalo
    Sylvester Stallion
    Christian Snail
    Shark Rylance
    Tom Hardy (who is a cat)

also, this show makes the absolute best use of the f-word. Every time.

shit, I just finished the season last night and I have to go back and watch it again.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Is it weird that I don't like the idea of the underwater city?

I kind of liked it better when the world was our earth, but with anthropomorphic animals that everyone seems to be cool with.

Speaking of which, where is the joke that Zootopia is the Birth of a Nation of the Bojack Horsemen world as it is basically a moral play (or a fable) that spouts the need for equality but the only sapient animals in the movie are mammals.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

I kind of liked it better when the world was our earth, but with anthropomorphic animals that everyone seems to be cool with.

Speaking of which, where is the joke that Zootopia is the Birth of a Nation of the Bojack Horsemen world as it is basically a moral play (or a fable) that spouts the need for equality but the only sapient animals in the movie are mammals.

...That would kind of present a problem when Disney tries to explain what predators eat without making millions of children cry so hard they have to be hospitalized.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

...That would kind of present a problem when Disney tries to explain what predators eat without making millions of children cry so hard they have to be hospitalized.

Whereas in Bojack it's just a cow waitress in the background serving a steak with a disapproving glare

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Whereas in Bojack it's just a cow waitress in the background serving a steak with a disapproving glare

Yes.

Or a farm full of bipedal chicken women who are deeeeeeeelicious!

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Season 3 Episode 4 minor spoiler
    And in the underwater episode, a sperm whale person straight up swallows a couple krill and takes their cab.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I kinda wish I hadn't marathoned season 3 in one night. The ending of episode 11 overshadows everything else in my memory.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The underwater episode was brilliant, probably my favorite episode so far.

Bonus points for the ending scene resolving the one thing that had been bugging me throughout the episode.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    BoJack is pretty much my spirit animal. Or the other way around I don't know how that works.

But I imagine most people aren't awful. So, I'm kind of curious what the appeal of this massively depressing show could be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BoJack is pretty much my spirit animal. Or the other way around I don't know how that works.

But I imagine most people aren't awful. So, I'm kind of curious what the appeal of this massively depressing show could be.

I think a lot of people focus on their own awfulness.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    We're all a little awful in our own way.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I think Bojack is ultimately a likable sympathetic protagonist. He tries his damndest to not be but he's ultimately really human and relatable

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Okay,
    Number 1: that, "I guess I'm broke again," thing better not stick
    Number 2: that whole thing with, "Oh, my other show" was a letdown in the extreme. I loved this season until the final episode's dumb bits but I wanted to see Bojack do some Arrows and Slings shit for an episode or two.
    Number 3: that really is the only thing you can do with Sara Lynn
    Number 4: that ending song was meh
    Number 5: really with PC? Why can't they let her be happy
    Number 6: that really better not be Bojack's daughter or some dumb shit
    Number 7: Bojack needs to just blow his brains out because what's the point anymore?

Phenomenal season. Until the that last episode. Brought it down for me.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Just finished a few thoughts
    Todd if he had grown up a little fucking bit and talked with her his friend wouldnt have slept with Bojack. Its easy to piss on Bojack but you never confront him until things boil over and you should know better by now

Princess Caroline
    . . . I think she'll be fine.I hope she and Bojack reconcile but not professionally

Mr Peanutbutter
    Its really telling that he measures marriage in terms of x arguments until divorce.
    I hope this govenor arc kicks him in the ass a little.

Bojack
    Oh bojack.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wait, if Todd considers himself asexual why does he care that Bojack slept with his friend

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Wait, if Todd considers himself asexual why does he care that Bojack slept with his friend

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because
    Bojack is a serial womanizer who leaves a trail of broken lives behind him wherever he goes?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because
    Bojack is a serial womanizer who leaves a trail of broken lives behind him wherever he goes?
    And even then, Bojack doesn't know about Todd and it sounds like not even Todd is sure about Todd.

I think Todd would be mad at least because Bojack knew there was some interest (hence him setting up the hotel room for them) but he swooped in anyway.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I think
    the horse at the end being Bojack's daughter is way too obvious and by the numbers for this show and they'll do something a little bit cleverer with it

• Options
    I think
    the horse at the end being Bojack's daughter is way too obvious and by the numbers for this show and they'll do something a little bit cleverer with it

Clever? Like the murder mystery? :rotate:

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Small victories? Like, I know it's going to end badly for him, but I hope he manages to eeek out some agency and happiness, or at least fails with dignity.

"It gets easier. You have to keep going every day, that's the hard part. But if you can, it gets easier."

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I think Bojack gives a lot of us hope when he does well. Cause I've never done anything as awful as he has but he still manages to kinda claw his way back. And even in his worst moments he's aware and sympathetic.

He is awful but wants desperately to be better. Which I would guess is how most of us feel about ourselves.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Awww - E5
    The mouse is adorable.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Awww - E5
    The mouse is adorable.

The various book references were cute.