As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't have a DINOSAUR thread? Inconceivable!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It's kinda hard to imagine the trex quacking like a duck

Peas on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Remember Dinotopia, that was the shit

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm still not sure why Dinotopia wasn't the most popular book/movie/toy line in the 90s. That shit was tight, and they never made it out of the library.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm still not sure why Dinotopia wasn't the most popular book/movie/toy line in the 90s. That shit was tight, and they never made it out of the library.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinotopia_(miniseries)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have that book!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I just remember the book then the prints and then the puzzles
    I thought they looked cool and neat but all I could find when I had the money were just display copies

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We almost missed International Dinosaur Month, motherfuckers. Read some books. Also, read this book. Turns out brontosaurus is back, so if anyone gives you any of that "it's just an apatosaurus" shit you push them right down into a mud puddle.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    READ A BOOK READ A BOOK READ A MOTHERFUCKING BOOK

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    8u8sGKa.jpg

Let's continue our discussion of dinosaur feathers and bone structure in a more appropriate arena.

You know, here.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Raptors become a lot less terrifying if you imagine them doing this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42C6ajjqWg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xiukoaDsG0

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Still terrifying if they eat you afterwards.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

I think a bit deeper of an Eagle screech fits.

• Options
    zekebeau wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »

I think a bit deeper of an Eagle screech fits.

And sheer volume.

Speaking of eagle/dinosaur sounds (13 seconds in)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqYmGOaooaQ

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Raptors become a lot less terrifying if you imagine them doing this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42C6ajjqWg

Video mislabeled, that is clearly the MC Hammer slide.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Imagine a cassowary the size of a two story house

Yeah fuck that no thanks dinosaurs were terrifying

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Sure, but imagine riding a trained cassowary the size of a two story house.
    Fuck yeah, dinosaurs were terrifying and awesome.

• Options
    edited January 2019

A being weighing in at 6-15 tons would not be able to kick like a cassowary, and given its small forelimbs it would probably be pretty wary about stomping too. So it's more like a two story shoebill or marabou stork.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

You can’t make me.
    A being weighing in at 6-15 tons would not be able to kick like a cassowary, and given its small forelimbs it would probably be pretty wary about stomping too. So it's more like a two story shoebill or marabou stork.

That really is not better.

sarukun on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

pkq3bsg2ay5u.jpeg

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

That really is not better.

But with increasing accuracy!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

pkq3bsg2ay5u.jpeg

That bird is about to fuck somebody up.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i like it when they do that beak-clack thing they do. you know, the scary one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noF-CLNSUZU

like 40 seconds in or so

there don't seem to be any videos of any vocalizations though, which i'd be curious to hear.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's some lower-key Predator noise, right there.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Shoebills make appropriately terrifying vocalizations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__g6MitLAbM

• Options
    That is a helboar shooting a fucking machine gun.

• Options
    nosir. i don't like it.

• Options
    That is some straight up Jurassic Park shit, right there.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Joolander wrote: »

pkq3bsg2ay5u.jpeg

That bird is about to fuck somebody up.

No that bird just had your family killed, and is watching as you unwittingly ladle their remains into the exquisitely seasoned soup he had his top chef make for you. He will then seal you in a tomb built under his mansion before moving on to deal with 007

Prohass on
  • Options
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Speaking of YDAW, and because you love Carnotaurus so much,
    And all that is just an excuse to post pics of one of the neatest, weirdest looking predators ever. It looked like a short-nosed tyrannosaur with horns.

Carnotaurus01_zps6ufu2edx.png

[snip]
    200016-carnotaurus-004_zpsydokppmu.jpg
    Carnotaurus_DB_zps1lvygx1f.jpg
    carnotaurus_zpscfsbvz0d.gif
    ac9a36af9f95a936dc2503488c70b928-d47xswe_zps355afwsz.jpg
    [/snip]

https://youtu.be/ISjItjSb8lc

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    6a00d83451960269e201b7c80fe201970b-800wi

Oh heck yeah dinosaur thread. Watch this modern feathered dinosaur stalking small mammals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzCK7qrr4-w

People being like, oh they're feathered that's not scary. Imagine being small and hiding in a hole while some giant with two knives for a mouth is hunting you. Dinosaurs are still big and scary to a lot of creatures.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Now if I know anything about blue and tri-colored herons, you're going to want to find them in Bayou Nwa in and around Lakay. I did not know I could use gophers as bait, though.

• Options
    Is it sad that my mind went to RDR2 when I saw that?

Also, anyone who thinks feathered birds can't be scary never had to face Gastornis geiselensis.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I wonder if any dinosaurs back in the day lekked. Lekking is when males all meet in a place to do their mating displays together. The females can observe all the males together and go shopping for a mate.

370px-Greater_Sage-Grouse_at_Lek_%286948123054%29.jpg

sub_30_runtz_lek_Super_Portrait.jpg

Blue_Manakin_Chiroxiphia_caudata_1.jpg?itok=iTg2smXf

I'm sure at least some of them did. Were there two storey tall dinos meeting in a field somewhere to do big elaborate dances or singing or wing-drumming or all of the above? I bet it would've been magnificent.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    As far as I'm concerned, based on all the info lately, dinos were just birds without the beaks.

EDIT: And with tails. Can't forget the tails

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Sage grouse! Way to make me homesick!

• Options
    Here's something I'd never heard of before, the drepanasaur. It was first discovered in 1980, which I consider pretty recent. Apparently, they were arboreal reptiles that had prehensile tails with a claw at the tip, and hunched shoulders.

From Wikipedia:
    Drepanosaurs (members of the clade Drepanosauromorpha) are a group of strange reptiles that lived between the Carnian and Rhaetian stages of the late Triassic Period, approximately between 230 and 210 million years ago.[1] The various species of drepanosaurid were characterized by odd specialized grasping limbs and often prehensile tails, adaptions for arboreal (tree-dwelling) and/or possibly aquatic lifestyles. Fossils of drepanosaurs have been found in Arizona, New Mexico, New Jersey, Utah, England, and northern Italy. The name is taken from the family's namesake genus Drepanosaurus, which means "sickle lizard", a reference to their strongly curved claws.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drepanosaur

This also discusses Drepanosaurs.
    https://youtu.be/moxu_uTemNg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    After that video my response is that there is no "t" in niche.