As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Lt. Morales (Medic) Coming Soon! Plus Vulture Mount!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    200G quests for days.

Ugh.

I feel your pain. I got the same shit going right now.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ring of frost owns. that is all

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    ring of frost owns. that is all

i think i've successfully landed a good one like, once. the ring is so hard to hit with for me.

though i think they've said they're going to mess with it's hitbox some? that'd be nice, because it is smaller than it looks.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SupagoatSupagoat Registered User regular
    There are some maps where I like ring of frost a lot. Cursed, Eternity, Mines all have great chokepoints and somewhat hectic battles where it can be relatively easy to land a good one.

bnet: Supagoat#1884
    Switch: 6589-6405-3399
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Supagoat wrote: »
    Anyways, always cool to see people take things like that seriously. And if it was a Blizz personage, good to see them keeping a toe in the field to see what their players see.

They said they'd be solo Qing with the rest of us to experience what we experience. Glad to see they did.

Well, just because someone acts like a grown up doesn't mean they work for Blizzard.

I think going through chat logs of reported games is a much easier way to "see what we see" in terms of toxic players, instead of playing the game in hopes to run into some.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I have had 8 games twice in the week. Going to be back at 7k soon but not sure if I am saving up 10k for jaina or Kael. I need a bursty assassin.

• Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    I think going through chat logs of reported games is a much easier way to "see what we see" in terms of toxic players, instead of playing the game in hopes to run into some.

That doesn't give them a good sense of how little it takes to bring out the asshole in some people. If they watched the replay I suppose it could, though. However, I was referring to:

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Just realized today that Blizzard developed the old Death and Return of Superman game for SNES.

Here's hoping we get to play as the fucking Eradicator at some point.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Anyways, always cool to see people take things like that seriously. And if it was a Blizz personage, good to see them keeping a toe in the field to see what their players see.

They said they'd be solo Qing with the rest of us to experience what we experience. Glad to see they did.

Well, just because someone acts like a grown up doesn't mean they work for Blizzard.

I'm sure they already see chat logs. I think it's important for the devs to play and experience the game as their player base does. Just like I would hope various WoW devs play the game in small guilds, large guilds, raiding hardcore, raiding casually, progressing only via PvP, playing only solo content, etc. to see what the game is actually like for different types of players.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Soooo.... yeah. Was trying out Illidan. Just on a team of bots. I know a more organized team would make things better, but...

I should never play Illidan.

WHY is that hero 4k gold?

EDIT: That last sentence is silly. Just because it's hard for me doesn't mean it's hard for others. But yeah, maybe Sonya would work out better for me.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options

This didn't sound from the description like someone acting like a grownup, it sounded like someone acting in a professional capacity.

• Options
    LevantLevant Registered User regular
    This guy was gold. Just had to share it. No, I have no idea either.
    7nom0l8w3lrr.png

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Soooo.... yeah. Was trying out Illidan. Just on a team of bots. I know a more organized team would make things better, but...

I should never play Illidan.

WHY is that hero 4k gold?

EDIT: That last sentence is silly. Just because it's hard for me doesn't mean it's hard for others. But yeah, maybe Sonya would work out better for me.

Illidan is one of those Heroes that is incredibly difficult to learn, but pretty easy to play once you get past that initial hump.

I would recommend watching streams or videos of Illidan play. Study how people move with him, how they engage, etc.

In general:
    - Don't spam your abilities. He has a crap ton of cooldown reduction, but don't spam them.
    - Q should be used sparingly. It's only for chasing, repositioning/bodyblocking, or escaping. Don't use it for damage, it hardly does any and resets your autos.
    - W should be used every 4 seconds to keep the buff and Immolation up. You can break this rule if you need to reposition/bodyblock someone.
    - E should only be used when you're being focused. It does nothing otherwise. Just keep an eye on your target, if they're autoattacking you, pop it.
    - Know when to save your W for escaping. Your W is straight up your best escape tool because it ignores collision/hitboxes and just dashes you away. The same could be said with your Q, but that requires a target.
    - Speaking of, you can Q not only to enemy minions, but to structures/walls as well. In fact it's generally a good idea to leave walls up as Illidan because you can Q over them.

General flow of combat:
    - Engage. This can be done either with Q or W. Q only if they're out of range, otherwise W to immediately get the buff and Immolation up.
    - Auto, auto, auto. Keep hitting your target, stay on your target. Bodyblock them. Be a nuisance, stick to them like glue.
    - Evasion. Pop it when you're being focused.
    - Escape. Either W or Q out when things are getting to hot to handle. Don't stay in too long, only as long as you need to.

Most importantly, remember the rules of engagement still apply. You cannot dive into the middle of an entire enemy team. It's tempting, I know, but you'll get blown up. You're a squishy melee assassin, not a beefy tank. Let your tank engage first, then go in on a priority target. Hold onto your W if you think you'll need to escape.

And of course, remember your ABA's (no, not the Swedish pop group): Always Be Autoattacking.

And here's The Build: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/illidan#l7Wh

You pretty much just build for defense, except if you don't need it, if that makes sense. So elaborating on that, Sixth Sense at 13 is amazing... but not really if there's not any ability-based damage on the enemy team. In that case, grab Giant Killer (or even Friend or Foe) instead. Blood for Blood is the "standard" 16 pick, but take Stoneskin if you're getting focused a lot. There isn't much talent choice otherwise though, it's pretty non-negotiable outside of 13/16. Of note: If you take Meta, grab the upgrade at 20, it is way better than Nexus Blades. If you take The Hunt, you can grab Nexus Blades OR the upgrade, that's up to you.

Some Illidans have been taking The Hunt since Meta was nerfed. It's decent, I mean. It's a single target stun with fairly decent damage, very long range. Nearly-but-not-quite global (unless you take the 20 talent, then it's global). Meta's still great, though. Wait for an opportune time (after your tank has engaged and you can hit multiple targets) and then just go nuts.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So I imagine most people are playing the monk as a healer?

It stands to reason you want his resurrection ult then, but from my experience it just seems like a flat out inferior version or Rehgar's healing ult. It heals roughly the same amount, you have to be more precise with the timing, and it takes your ally out of the fight for a second.

• Options
    note to self: don't play tyreal on uther free week

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    note to self: don't play tyreal on uther free week

Why not?

• Options
    because he will divine shield who you judgement

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

It stands to reason you want his resurrection ult then, but from my experience it just seems like a flat out inferior version or Rehgar's healing ult. It heals roughly the same amount, you have to be more precise with the timing, and it takes your ally out of the fight for a second.

Shorter cooldown and goes off instantly and negates all damage while it works. That's it's advantages. The lvl 20 upgrade also makes using it really safe.

Not that you can really do a direct comparison since it's about the whole kit.

• Options
    Back door Zeratul for the win twice tonight! Second time was Blackheart's Bay. We got ol' Blackheart to shoot their core down to 27% and while the rest of the team engaged the enemy I walked in and took it to 0.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »

Shorter cooldown and goes off instantly and negates all damage while it works. That's it's advantages. The lvl 20 upgrade also makes using it really safe.

Not that you can really do a direct comparison since it's about the whole kit.

Someone who is good at timing monk's healing ult is way more annoying than rehgar ult. But I do prefer rehgar's because I can use it after a fight is over just to heal a million health on my tank so we don't have to stop pushing. Also I suck with monk's ult.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Holy jeez, finally finished my Placement Matches today. Just decided to plow through em.

COB6j6dWIAA2Rq8.jpg:large
    Spat me out at Rank 19, and I'm actually okay with that. My previous personal best was 13, so this is fine.

COB6XT9WUAASntM.jpg:large
    THIS is why I hated slogging through Placement Matches though. I go a reasonable 12-2, all things considered, and everyone else, well... Though, shoutouts to Li Li for being the only other competent player on our team. My team first picks Sonya and Leoric and they can't play em worth a damn. They're dying left and right. Our Leoric keeps engaging 1v4s and 1v5s then says "dunno why i keep getting melted". Just, really?!

Thank fuck that's over with though.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Holy shit that's a terrible Sonya score.

Like, even if you're dying a bunch, you should still be topping the charts in hero damage, because she bursts hard. RQW and even tanks suffer. How the fuck do you end up beneath Lili?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Like, even if you're dying a bunch, you should still be topping the charts in hero damage, because she bursts hard. RQW and even tanks suffer. How the fuck do you end up beneath Lili?

Raynor is one of the hardest Sonya counters in the game. If he lands his Q on you every time you chain in you're useless and dead.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Raynor is one of the hardest Sonya counters in the game. If he lands his Q on you every time you chain in you're useless and dead.

It wasn't even that, though.

Look at the score. She's 6-6 and the rest of us have 12 takedowns.

She was never with us. And when she was, she'd walk into the middle of the whole team and Whirlwind and die.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Just played against Reynor Uther Nazeebo Zagara Karazhim as Sonya.

I didn't do terrible, but boy did we not win. Post-16 I couldn't even go in because I'd get instantly poked to death by mutas and spiders and garg and stunlocked until forever, only for divine palm to make me have to get a new target or wait. One of the most frustrating games I've ever had :/ Only 3 deaths because our uther saved me a few times, but really just couldn't do much.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Just played against Reynor Uther Nazeebo Zagara Karazhim as Sonya.

I didn't do terrible, but boy did we not win. Post-16 I couldn't even go in because I'd get instantly poked to death by mutas and spiders and garg and stunlocked until forever, only for divine palm to make me have to get a new target or wait. One of the most frustrating games I've ever had :/ Only 3 deaths because our uther saved me a few times, but really just couldn't do much.

Sonya is really fun or no fun at all and it all depends on what the other team has. Cause she has so few ways to engage that if they've got good range and good ways to peel or slow or stun you, you are pretty fucked.

• Options
    and flamed again because i don't play hero league. guy died to TLV right at the begining of the game, said GG, and just laned on bottom the entire time, DCing for a good 10 minutes once. we almost won but lost a teamfight because nazeebo's damage is crazy again and we didn't have much burst, and then postgame he starts harassing me about my hero league rank.

hero league is, imo, the worst thing that ever fucking happened to this game. fucking hate it :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    and flamed again because i don't play hero league. guy died to TLV right at the begining of the game, said GG, and just laned on bottom the entire time, DCing for a good 10 minutes once. we almost won but lost a teamfight because nazeebo's damage is crazy again and we didn't have much burst, and then postgame he starts harassing me about my hero league rank.

hero league is, imo, the worst thing that ever fucking happened to this game. fucking hate it :/

I meet more awful people in one day playing Quick Match than I do in a month of Hero League.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I just started playing this, so help me out here and make sure I know how this game works...if nobody else on my team is in a lane and we're like 3-4 levels behind the other team, they're idiots, right?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Just report and move on.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm nowhere near amazing at this game, but if I'm 3-4 levels behind depending on the char I'm either laning or caping merc camps. Unless I'm needed to defend against a push or something, but even that is probably futile.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I just started playing this, so help me out here and make sure I know how this game works...if nobody else on my team is in a lane and we're like 3-4 levels behind the other team, they're idiots, right?

Depends a little bit. Is there an objective up? Specifically one that can be taken if you all got for it it or where you can catch 2 or 3 members of the enemy team split from the rest who are at another location and force them into a fight you can win? If so, that would be a priority over being in lane. If they're wandering without a goal in mind, that's not ideal but it's really not out of the question to not be laning even with a level deficit if you have something else you can focus on.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I've had a string of solo queue QM matches where at least one team member goes afk for minutes at a time. It's frustrating as hell, especially when that person is playing Tassadar and wants to spam G on everything 7 times to tell us where to go.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    As soon as the objectives started appearing they all rushed at them and either died or got the creature spawned and then it immediately died.

Edit: Also, if you already have something from a bundle, do you get some sort of discount?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    As soon as the objectives started appearing they all rushed at them and either died or got the creature spawned and then it immediately died.

Edit: Also, if you already have something from a bundle, do you get some sort of discount?

Yes. Unless it's one of the 2 piece bundles, in which case just buy the other piece on it's own.

• Options
    Thanks for the clarification.

Raynor might just be the proper character for me...I much prefer shooting minions to PVP. Then as soon as a player shows up I push them away and run off cackling. I cause more player deaths from people madly chasing me and running into something else than actually shooting them.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Raynor might just be the proper character for me...I much prefer shooting minions to PVP. Then as soon as a player shows up I push them away and run off cackling. I cause more player deaths from people madly chasing me and running into something else than actually shooting them.

You'd probably like Hammer as well, then.

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular

If you need a build for Raynor, this one is very solid:

1: Seasoned Marksman
    4: Vampiric Attacks
    7: Puttin on a Clinic
    10: Hyperion
    13: Giant Killer
    16: Bullseye
    20: A Card to Play

This is both new-player friendly and works at high levels. Seasoned Marksman gives you increased scaling damage as the game goes on, and contributes to the sustain you get from Vampiric Attacks. Puttin on a Clinic reduces all your cooldowns significantly, and means that Adrenaline Rush is available a lot more often, which will really help you avoid deaths. Hyperion is both amazing and super easy to use. Giant Killer contributes to your self-healing and means you can engage anyone, even if they're super beefy. Bullseye gives you a ranged stun, which is amazing for escapes, and for helping in teamfights. A Card to Play means your ult is up a ridiculous amount of the time, you can use it much more frequently, and worry less about timing it perfectly.

Hope that helps. (also, there are plenty of other valid choices at basically every tier, so don't feel locked into this).

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    zagara, abathur, nazeebo, stitches, tyreal. that sure is a team built for failure, how the hell are we supposed to kill anyone? the other team even had a healer, as if we were not at a big enough disadvantage

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    zagara, abathur, nazeebo, stitches, tyreal. that sure is a team built for failure, how the hell are we supposed to kill anyone? the other team even had a healer, as if we were not at a big enough disadvantage

I got you beat. Diablo zagara sylvanas tyrande tassadar.

The other team got monk and lili. Good job match making.

Also my next game I was playing D and I notice I'm getting no healing in team fights and can't be an aggressive tank as a result. I look at our monk's talents and he's dps (he got the damage lvl1 and 7 sided strike) which is fine whatever but I say "oh I thought you went healer." And he goes "I'm heal spec, those talents are just better." No dude.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig