As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    ...why hasn't Valve responded to my application?

It got forwarded to customer service...

Account lock incoming

Slightly overdue August edit...

0YDmLO6.jpg

(Psst, @Sir Carcass. <3)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Shade wrote: »
    As many of you know Evi has moved away for school and I find myself with a lot of free time, so I'm going to start streaming a random game decided by steam roulette.

:bro:

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    As many of you know Evi has moved away for school and I find myself with a lot of free time, so I'm going to start streaming a random game decided by steam roulette. leaving myself vulnerable by admitting I'll be clearing out my backlog

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's my birthday!

Fixed your typo there.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Chocobolicious is super awesome. After sending him some tiny game involving visuals of dadjunk, he responds with

mOVDx3M.png

Thanks Choco. <3

Also Shower with your dad simulator is super fun. Gets really hectic a little ways in. I recommend it for only $1!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    As many of you know Evi has moved away for school and I find myself with a lot of free time, so I'm going to start streaming a random game decided by steam roulette.

except steam roulette is gone apparently. :(

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Welp. Only one solution. You should just play whatever game you get gifted next.

Until the gift after that.

And the one after that.

Starting... any minute now...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Welp. Only one solution. You should just play whatever game you get gifted next.

Until the gift after that.

And the one after that.

Starting... any minute now...

Or I could do this

Geth roll 1d26

1d26 5 [1d26=5]

Shade on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I like my solution better.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    @Pixelated Pixie DAMNIT.

nj13zrzojn1f.jpg

5 is E and then I was going to roll for the number of the title.

Geth roll 1d20

1d20 8 [1d20=8]

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    What caused win 10 to use all RAM ? Someone have any good idea ? Steam isn't problem ,but firefox,chrome and MS EDGE can be..

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    subi wrote: »
    What caused win 10 to use all RAM ? Someone have any good idea ? Steam isn't problem ,but firefox,chrome and MS EDGE can be..

If I'm reading you right, you're having some programs taking up a lot of memory? Well, modern web browsers as a whole are notorious memory hogs. If you have all three of them running at once with multiple tabs, that will kill most modern computers and result in the page file being used once the memory fills up.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It sounds weird to say "remember those halcyon days when browsers weren't horrific memory hogs"? But it's accurate...

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Chrome got way out of hand gobbling up memory, but even going back to Firefox, it's not much better.

It's things like a browser using a significant portion of system resources that reinforces how behind the times my PC is. 4GB used to be plenty!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Many thanks to @halfazedninja for the gift of bioshock infinite.
    I know this is his way of saying "Gift @Shade " and i'm never one to ignore orders.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    It sounds weird to say "remember those halcyon days when browsers weren't horrific memory hogs"? But it's accurate...

I can't tell if it's more robust web content that requires a greater outlay of resources from the web browser, sloppy/inefficient web browser coding that relies on more powerful hardware to make up for its inefficiency, or a combination of both which makes it even worse than either one on its own.

• Options
    But when Chrome uses more memory than Civilization 5, to me that's a big feather in the old "web browsers are poorly coded/optimized" camp.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Browser today are terrifyingly huge and complex behemoths because they're expected to do a bajillion things that the modern web demands. Example: you can totally run Unreal Engine-mfin'-4 in a browser using Javascript. The days of taking 5mb to load a webpage are loooooooooong over yo.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Are there programs in task manager using lots of RAM or do you just have system monitors showing high usage? Are you noticing any performance problems?

I ask because, it's supposed to use lots of RAM - because it's caching things you are using!
    http://lifehacker.com/why-is-windows-10s-system-process-using-so-much-ram-1725076206

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Quical damnit. thank you...also ew...

xw8n7hr8bsjq.jpg

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    No, Quical, I don't still shower with my dad. He's dead. But thanks for the gift!

j3fu8mewalwb.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    What the shit @Quical

gtuqypgr8ygg.gif

Thanks, I think...

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    But when Chrome uses more memory than Civilization 5, to me that's a big feather in the old "web browsers are poorly coded/optimized" camp.

Civ V might well be the most unoptimized mess I've had to deal with. I take part in several PBEM games in the Civ thread, and for each game I have to load Civ and load the game, submit it and then quit. For each individual game, I have to load and quit Civ or else it gets some weird memory bloat bug that eventually makes it unplayable.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    ...why hasn't Valve responded to my application?

It got forwarded to customer service...

Account lock incoming

Slightly overdue August edit...

0YDmLO6.jpg

(Psst, Sir Carcass. <3)

Wish I could awesome more than once.

2.5 months to go!

One of the pre-order bonuses for NBA 2K16 is being able to play it 4 days early, on Sep 25th. :cry:

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Repost for the night people:
    I've been feeling a little hermitish in my internet habits of late. There are only a handful of websites that I visit which seems completely insane considering the the vastness of the interwebs, and so, I propose... A CONTEST!

Maybe contest isn't the right word. Maybe more of a raffle. Just send me some of your favourite websites to visit by PM to be entered to win some Life is Strange (either the complete thing or the remaining episodes if you already have the first one).

(You can do with it what you will so if you want to turn around and send it to someone else or you already have it, then that's all good!)

We'll say you have until Friday at Noon EST. Winner will be chosen at random from submissions.

Have at you!

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KrummithKrummith DJ Logic Death can't take me until I finish my backlogRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Chrome got way out of hand gobbling up memory, but even going back to Firefox, it's not much better.

It's things like a browser using a significant portion of system resources that reinforces how behind the times my PC is. 4GB used to be plenty!

I found an extension for Chrome that makes it not quite such a memory hog! It's called "The Great Suspender".

One of the reasons that Chrome is such a hog is that tabs that you currently aren't using continue to use memory.

This puts a tab you aren't using, but still have open, to go into a type of hibernation. When you go back to that tab, it reloads, and you're back where you left off.

It's made Chrome so much more useful, and if I leave it open overnight I no longer wake up to my computer stuttering and freezing.

• Options
    subisubi Registered User regular
    Hm... One of the biggest is when I put pc in sleep mode .. It took more than 5min to display screen again ..

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Poseidon wrote: »
    WB released a beta patch for Batman AK which didn't fix anything and then took it down.

I love the Arkham series. I thought AK was a wonderful game. Probably the best in the series. But the crap port, the weak AR challenges and the anemic season pass just drag down what should have been a crowning achievement from Rocksteady.

The Arkham series was one of my favorites of the last generation of games. I'm sad to see they're having a lot of trouble with the PC port for this one. Hopefully Rocksteady can redeem themselves. I won't be playing the game for a while.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hm... One of the biggest is when I put pc in sleep mode .. It took more than 5min to display screen again ..

My experience is that sleep mode is a crap shoot. I have had numerous difficulties trying to wake my computer from sleep. Homemade Hibernate seems much more reliable

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @CorriganX Why?
    jdjakebbqd8i.jpg
    Thank you for Shower With Your Dat Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad.

I suppose. :razz:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hear the 2016 edition is going to be insane!

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Seven chest hairs!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    @Quical is giving things out on his birthday.
    He said I smelled bad and wants to see my Dad naked.
    I dunno, he's a strange guy. But thanks, and happy birthday!
    6e36S6f.jpg

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I watched a video of Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 over on Polygon. Looks like there's slightly more to it than just, uh, showering with dad. There's also a part where you bathe with your dad and fly your bathtub across the sky to collect other dads and shoot down the dads that are not your own dads.

• Options
    Theres a lot of different modes, different game types. Its honestly really fun and interesting. I strongly suggest people give it a shot!

Theres 2 game modes to start with, the rest are unlocked as you play.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks to fellow old school RPG fanatic @Pixelated Pixie for a copy of Kult: Heretic Kingdoms, it looks completely awesome!

oAqr2xM.jpg

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Reposting this -- contest ends on Friday! To give you colonials up to the last chance, I'll make that close of play on Friday PST, so you have no excuses :snap:

Got a handful of entries so far, keep them coming!
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Hello, everybody. Sorry for my absence for so very long, but my gaming PC is busted after my stupid fridge decided to trip the circuit breaker in the middle of the night, and now every time I power it up I get a BAD_POOL_HEADER error no matter if I try to boot from HDD, or even try to boot up a Windows 10 or 7 setup via flash drive. So I come to you today via my craptop that can just about handle YouTube without blowing up in flames.

Anyway. Since I cannot play any of my beloved games right now (including the recently released Satellite Reign which I backed on KickStarter, damn it) I figured that shouldn't prevent anyone else from enjoying some shiny, shiny vidya.

So I propose a contest for all of you classy people:

Suppose you work for one of those gigantic assholes at VaulTec, and you've been assigned to design a social experiment for those unwitting fools looking to seek shelter from nuclear Armageddon.

Which numbered Vault are you in charge of, and what would your social experiment be? No control groups, those are boring and tend to end up spawning messianic heroes with wanderlust.

The winner gets a copy of Fallout 4, delivered right into their Steam library. I'll keep this open until this Friday, the 4th of September.

EDIT: I brainfarted and forgot to say to message me your entries, as my time lurking the thread will be sporadic, and you guys have a tendency to get into classy gift wars which blow up the number of pages

EDIT EDIT: Please feel free to make an entry even if you already have a pre-order of Fallout 4, or are planning on buying it on console -- should you win, you can always choose to have the prize paid forward to a forumer of your choosing!

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    @CorriganX got me with Shower With Your Dad Sim 2015, too. I just tried it for a bit and it's the silliest thing I've played since McPixel and it seems to share the same humor. It's also fun, thanks! <3

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    So, Out There Somewhere is 19 cents and is actually a pretty competent little portal gun platformer. It's by some of the Towerfall folks, so it's got nice pixel art. Reminds me of Escape Goat and, to a lesser extent, VVVVVV.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    True to his nature, @Karoz outclasses me with a gift as punishment thanks to the gift I gave him, which was a show of gratitude to the gift he sent me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cXQqWawnl0

Thanks for the Always Sometimes Monsters key! :)

But wait, there's more!

@DoctorArch also saw fit to make it rain keys. Thanks for Cognition, The Silent Age, Knights of Pen & Paper, and Morningstar

I really need to make some time this weekend to play a game or something because I'm getting a little stressed with personal matters. I think I still have the major choices for Witcher 2 printed, so I'll probably just do a few quests. Hopefully I can earn more money soon, otherwise I'm going to have to farm the poker game for a bit :bigfrown:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
This discussion has been closed.