Options

[steam] where overly specific genres come to life.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    This may be better suited for the computer build thread, but I am planning out what to do with some old hardware I have laying around from various upgrades I have done. One of my considerations is to drop Ubuntu (or some form of Linux) onto it and mess around with that again since I haven't in years and possibly trying to get steam setup there.

Are the games marked on the steam store as Linux/steamos natively supported or is the assumption that everything runs in wine/playonlinux or something along those lines?

@WingedWeasel I have only dabbled a little bit but as far as I understand it, if it says it is Linux/SteamOS compatible, then it installs and runs natively although there may be some instances where it runs through an emulator or something such as DOSBox. In those cases, I would assume that they are included with the download and installation.

The main thing I tried was Borderlands 2 which runs natively

Thanks! I think this thing's future is going to include ubuntu/other linux regardless so it is just a matter of what else. Unfortunately blizzard stuff seems to require wine but at least a few of the games I already own appear to support Linux so it may just be a try it out and see situation.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I think it was already removed from Steam, but be warned anyway. There was a game called Dynostopia on Greenlight which was asking for beta testers and demo feedback. Turns out the game was just malware. No, that's not a joke.

...why hasn't Valve responded to my application?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/fVahi5BB678

Obviously, in your current Steam situation/predicament, things are a bit different

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I had fully planned to not play MGS quite yet. Not until I finished Mad Max, at least. I decided to just play the intro, then to come back to it later.

...then I played the intro.

It is safe to say I will be playing MGS again ASAP when I am off work.

vamen on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Best Mad Max Steam review:

"There was a man named Max he lived in a wastland and was stripped of his wheels with not even a penny to his name
    but oddly his game ran like silk and 60fps and his game was complete.

There was a man named Bruce he was a billionaire with a tank and a jet he lived in modern times
    but oddly his game was a giant turd with a 34.99 season pass and was capped at 30fps.

Go figure."

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Yeah I just want to say that Mad Max runs like butter for me, and I was at minimum spec for the video card. Runs like butter and looks great. Super fun so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

It got forwarded to customer service...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Account lock incoming

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular

Account lock incoming

How would you kn...

Oh wait. :(

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Armello always makes me think of some sort of chewy candy.

Of course it does - you must pronounce caramel correctly!
    Caramello-Wrapper-Small.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/fVahi5BB678

Obviously, in your current Steam situation/predicament, things are a bit different

I'm torn between "Ride of the Valkyries" and maybe "Barbie Girl".

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I was going to ask who Bruce was...

Damn, son.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Another day, another Which Dark Souls 2 class should I play poll repost.

Also I have day work on Friday (but night work the night before, so we'll see how awake I am) so did we want to schedule a FNG at the usual time of 6 PDT? Usually a humble bundle or Steam weekend deal dictates these things but games that come to mind right now are Depth, Heroes of the Storm, Rocket League, Payday 2, Borderlands Pre-Sequel and TF2 depending on how many people are interested and what games they have.

Or will people be too busy playing Mad Max and MGS? :wink:

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    This may be better suited for the computer build thread, but I am planning out what to do with some old hardware I have laying around from various upgrades I have done. One of my considerations is to drop Ubuntu (or some form of Linux) onto it and mess around with that again since I haven't in years and possibly trying to get steam setup there.

Are the games marked on the steam store as Linux/steamos natively supported or is the assumption that everything runs in wine/playonlinux or something along those lines?

@WingedWeasel I have only dabbled a little bit but as far as I understand it, if it says it is Linux/SteamOS compatible, then it installs and runs natively although there may be some instances where it runs through an emulator or something such as DOSBox. In those cases, I would assume that they are included with the download and installation.

Thanks! I think this thing's future is going to include ubuntu/other linux regardless so it is just a matter of what else. Unfortunately blizzard stuff seems to require wine but at least a few of the games I already own appear to support Linux so it may just be a try it out and see situation.

You could always just install SteamOS on it. It's Linux and allows you to drop to the desktop from Big Picture mode.

If you don't have experience installing OSes I would recommend that you wait until SteamOS officially launches in October. I had a hell of a time getting the install to work.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    A fairly old groupees bundle (Doujin Bundle 1) added steam keys for Pester.

I mostly mention this because @Spoit gifted that bundle to a sizeable amount of people back then.

https://groupees.com/purchases

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ooh, I didn't know (or remember) that Armello had come out of early access. Sweet.

Now if I could just stop playing Runestone Keeper and Card Hunter...

EDIT: Oh snap, Armello came out of EA today. No wonder I hadn't known.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone. An RPG with cards in the way of the Sacred Card Hunter? This I gotta see

Giant Bomb did a quick look or unfinished. I can't link it now but it should be on their site and Youtube. It looks fantastic.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I've been feeling a little hermitish in my internet habits of late. There are only a handful of websites that I visit which seems completely insane considering the the vastness of the interwebs, and so, I propose... A CONTEST!

Maybe contest isn't the right word. Maybe more of a raffle. Just send me some of your favourite websites to visit by PM to be entered to win some Life is Strange (either the complete thing or the remaining episodes if you already have the first one).

(You can do with it what you will so if you want to turn around and send it to someone else or you already have it, then that's all good!)

We'll say you have until Friday at Noon EST. Winner will be chosen at random from submissions.

Have at you!

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    My kid has finally moved out.

Empty nest feeling, go.

/sigh

Related: he abandoned a fully functional Playstation 2 and a stack of games (and a guitar that goes with it). Is this something worth trying to find a home for, or toss it?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Which games is the question.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I've been feeling a little hermitish in my internet habits of late. There are only a handful of websites that I visit which seems completely insane considering the the vastness of the interwebs, and so, I propose... A CONTEST!

Maybe contest isn't the right word. Maybe more of a raffle. Just send me some of your favourite websites to visit by PM to be entered to win some Life is Strange (either the complete thing or the remaining episodes if you already have the first one).

(You can do with it what you will so if you want to turn around and send it to someone else or you already have it, then that's all good!)

We'll say you have until Friday at Noon EST. Winner will be chosen at random from submissions.

Have at you!

Congratulations? I bet that is a very weird feeling. My oldest starts JK in a week so this will be an interesting time. I can't imagine what they'll be like when they are old enough to move out. Just know that, as long as you give them free food, they will keep coming back.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    What kind of guitar? Does Pixie own Rocksmith?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Empty nest feeling, go.

/sigh

Related: he abandoned a fully functional Playstation 2 and a stack of games (and a guitar that goes with it). Is this something worth trying to find a home for, or toss it?

Depends on the games I guess. Might be able to get something for it at Gamestop (ugh) or the like.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular

Empty nest feeling, go.

/sigh

No more awkward conversations after the kid catches you playing Chest Conflicts!

I plan on duct taping my PS2-GH guitar to the PS4 for the next RockBand but I'm probably a minority in my love for the old clacker.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular

Empty nest feeling, go.

/sigh

Buy Burnout 3 and Shadow of the Colossus and play those on it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

My first reaction was "NO! Don't get rid of it! He might want to play it again in the future!" because I've read so many stories about kids of my generation who moved out and their parents got rid of their NES/SNES/Genesis/all their games etc. But then I thought I have no idea if kids raised on PS2s would feel the same way.

Anyway, completely unrelated, but last call for LUFTRAUSERS!
    signature.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if nostalgia hits him in the future and then you can be all like "Your old PS2 is in a box in the attic - it's yours again now that you've got room for it!"

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

My first reaction was "NO! Don't get rid of it! He might want to play it again in the future!" because I've read so many stories about kids of my generation who moved out and their parents got rid of their NES/SNES/Genesis/all their games etc. But then I thought I have no idea if kids raised on PS2s would feel the same way.

Anyway, completely unrelated, but last call for LUFTRAUSERS!
    signature.png

Yes. Yes we do. I took the PS2 + games (because most were mine) and my brother took the SNES + games when we left home respectively.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Played The Phantom Pain until 2AM yesterday.

I don't regret it one bit.
    But man, do I need to sleep.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I already asked him if he wanted it. He said get rid of it. He's also never, ever been the nostalgic or sentimental type.

I don't know what games are there. At a glance before I left for work I saw a Mortal Kombat title and Final Fantasy XII. I assume there's a Guitar Hero or something of that sort. Probably 12-15 others.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I already asked him if he wanted it. He said get rid of it. He's also never, ever been the nostalgic or sentimental type.

I don't know what games are there. At a glance before I left for work I saw a Mortal Kombat title and Final Fantasy XII. I assume there's a Guitar Hero or something of that sort. Probably 12-15 others.

And Pixie's backlog grew once more that day . . .

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

And Pixie's backlog grew three sizes that day . . .

Ftfy

steam_sig.png
  • Options

XII is underrated. But a better version is coming (in the vein of the FFX remaster)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

You could always just install SteamOS on it. It's Linux and allows you to drop to the desktop from Big Picture mode.

If you don't have experience installing OSes I would recommend that you wait until SteamOS officially launches in October. I had a hell of a time getting the install to work.

I noticed that after I posted. I don't have any problem setting it up, but if it is in beta and I can expect a ton of ongoing changes I will likely skip it.trying to avoid a ton of maintenance which is why I was concerned about wine vs native support. Also have no idea what the "normal" computer use looks like on steamos. Not opposed to learning it but it isn't something I want to have to do.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

XII is underrated. But a better version is coming (in the vein of the FFX remaster)

I hope that's actually happening. I've been replaying it on PC with an emulator, and it's so nice compared to PS2. But a remaster would be even better.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I think it's polarising, rather than underrated. I've tried to play through the damn thing three times now and I can never make it to the end as neither the gameplay or plot are strong enough to hold my attention.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    I've tried several times and not ever finished it, but just because I play it, then get distracted, then when I come back to it have NO idea how to play or what is going on and thus restart. A common problem with long games for me.

And is it just me or does Fran have the sexiest damn voice? Always loved her voice.

vamen on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    When you make the gameplay more passive, like they did with FFXII, you need to make the game more actively engaging in other aspects, otherwise people will just get bored.

• Options
    There is no such thing as a viera who isn't sexy... which is partly because women in games.

I guess you can argue Penelo if you want to be stretching things a lot.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I'm sure there are some enterprising forumers who would be happy to take some of that "junk" off your hands.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Cuteness!

(Slight MGSV spoiler, but nothing that wasn't in the trailers ages ago)
    jd5uuh744ehc.jpg

This discussion has been closed.