As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Phantom Pain

-Tal-Tal Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kav2t0spyE

The Phantom Pain is a horror game directed by Joakim Mogren. It is the debut effort of Swedish developer Moby Dick Studio. It was released for Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and Personal Computers in 1984.

PNk1Ml4.png

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    cont. from last thread:

what the

box ain't no last resort hidey hole to jump into and stay put

box is extra armor for when you sprint at someone, toboggan into them, and stick up

or creeping up behind a guy to pop out of it like a giant novelty cake

or anime

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    from "box," two playstyles were born

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    box stealth is so versatile and powerful in this game, I love it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I wonder if the real clue to that hidden game is the data tape from GZ that is just screeching in the cassette player...maybe there is actual data there that some enterprising fellow can extract.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    thought this was a vagrant story thread

oh well

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I wonder if the real clue to that hidden game is the data tape from GZ that is just screeching in the cassette player...maybe there is actual data there that some enterprising fellow can extract.

I think that was one of the things the article mentioned that started people down that whole path.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

I think that was one of the things the article mentioned that started people down that whole path.

That's what I get for skimming!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

oh man is there a numbers station cassette tape??

also, urgent question: does this game contain any elevators

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

there's one that i can think of, in mission 30

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    this secret game rom thing is the kind of ridiculous bullshit that i can get behind 100%

this is a way better conspiracy theory than Blackhound

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

The Phantom Pain is a horror game directed by Joakim Mogren. It is the debut effort of Swedish developer Moby Dick Studio. It was released for Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and Personal Computers in 1984.

Quiet has different colored hair in this! At 2:24. hmmmm~

l3icwZV.png
  • Options

there's one that i can think of, in mission 30

okay good

my primary use for the box in metal gears prior to this was to put it on and spin around in circles while waiting for the elevator to arrive

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »

Quiet has different colored hair in this! At 2:24. hmmmm~

I believe that's just a placeholder model because joosten hadn't done her stuff yet

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mgsv whole game spoilers, related to the conspiracy theories
    9tWtmsR.jpg
    ht120ha.jpg

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Serious damn mega spoiler fan-comic:

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I just watched all of the trailers for the game. I'm really glad that I avoided them before the game.
    I think they used every scene from the game at some point in those. They don't spoil anything out of context, but it's surprising that they gave so much away, especially all those shots of Sahelanthropus.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    9tWtmsR.jpg
    ht120ha.jpg

That is awesome.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Hunting for a leopard tortoise is proving frustrating.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This latest conspiracy theory seems even more desperate than the last one and I do not believe it as anything other than Kojima including buried Easter eggs that were important to him

But boy is it fascinating stuff

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Olivaw wrote: »
    This latest conspiracy theory seems even more desperate than the last one and I do not believe it as anything other than Kojima including buried Easter eggs that were important to him

I believe it's there but I also believe that it's actually just part of the FOB nuclear disarmament ending so we've already seen the endgame

The true final mission is to disarm all nukes. But, this mission will never be completed. In this sense, it will "never be game over."

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    mgsv is on steam

hl3 will probably be on steam

ipso facto it's an arg for hl3

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Wait what's the new conspiracy?

• Options
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Wait what's the new conspiracy?

there are hidden pieces of the code for a ROM of an old '80s japanese adventure game that Kojima has said was a big inspiration for him early on inside of MGSV

people are speculating that there's enough pieces of the code throughout Ground Zeroes and Phanotm Pain to put together a full ROM, and that it will turn out to be a romhack with metal gear info in it

• Options
    9tWtmsR.jpg
    ht120ha.jpg
    okay so clearly we need to look back at MGS4 because the key is hidden in something Sunny says

• Options
    Man I hope that it does turn out that those lens flares actually mean something because that has been driving me crazy whenever they pop up.

• Options
    Man I hope that it does turn out that those lens flares actually mean something because that has been driving me crazy whenever they pop up.

they do, don't they? I thought that article said that their hex color can be used as machine code for part of the ROM

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Well, according to the article, they used the hex value of the lens flare color to decrypt something?

e: slooooowpoke

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    the portopia serial murderer case basically invented visual novels

it was directed by yuji hori who also went on to basically invent jurps by creating dragon quest

portopia was one of the first games to really invest in a sophisticated storyline, and is notable for its twist in which
    your assistant was the murderer all along

so... fuck kaz??

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Oh whoops, I misread that bit about the hex codes as it still just being a viable theory.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    9tWtmsR.jpg
    ht120ha.jpg
    okay so clearly we need to look back at MGS4 because the key is hidden in something Sunny says
    Obviously the Fibonacci sequence is the key to cracking this case open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CmVcvBBrM8

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    the portopia serial murderer case basically invented visual novels

it was directed by yuji hori who also went on to basically invent jurps by creating dragon quest

portopia was one of the first games to really invest in a sophisticated storyline, and is notable for its twist in which
    your assistant was the murderer all along

so... fuck kaz??
    Wikipedia wrote:
    With no keyboard, the Famicom version replaces the verb-noun parser with a menu list of fourteen set commands selectable with the gamepad. This is similar to the command selection menu system introduced in Yuji Horii's murder mystery adventure game Okhotsk ni Kiyu: Hokkaido Rensa Satsujin Jiken, which was released in 1984

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Yeah the lens flares were bugging me too.

I kinda assumed it could be a binary thing, with the the light being 1's and the blanks being zero, but I think they're uniformly spaced, so probably not.

Also, I'm watching Drew do The Sorrow right now.

Oh god it's painful seeing him not get it.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

I believe it's there but I also believe that it's actually just part of the FOB nuclear disarmament ending so we've already seen the endgame

The true final mission is to disarm all nukes. But, this mission will never be completed. In this sense, it will "never be game over."

Man, I'd been avoiding spoilers while I finished the story, had no idea that was a thing. That's never happening, huh.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

they do, don't they? I thought that article said that their hex color can be used as machine code for part of the ROM

what

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I was running around in freeroam with quiet.
    She was heading towards the same spot as me, so for a while we were neck and neck at full sprint, with her pulling ahead.
    Just as I was thinking she wasn't as fast as I thought, she leapt into the air. A few seconds later, I see her coming down on the spot on the cliff she'd been heading towards.

It was 350 meters away when she jumped.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Quiet is awesome.

• Options
    A fun thing to do: rocket punch yourself

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    A fun thing to do: rocket punch yourself

lol if you still play as snake in this game

• Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular