As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Blah, I actually just switched to a Logitech G600. Not sure where you'd get it sub-$50, but it's like a straight upgrade from the Naga :bigfrown:

Worst it's given me so far is that about once every other week one of the lower keys will stop working in the game and I'll have to restart the software.

Right now (probably until Saturday night, but I'm not sure!) you can get one for $45.99 at Best Buy! And if Amazon has it cheaper (they do, by a dollar D: ) and in stock, BB will pricematch it.

The G300S looks good, but I don't have any experience with it.

Personally, I use the G700S and I really like it, but it looks like most places have it for $70-75.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Lokairnus: "Mojo... I never really understood WuvWuv... until I looked into your eyes... and held you..."

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    gw001.jpg

So same old same old then? pugs going to pug.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    gw001.jpg

So same old same old then? pugs going to pug.

He dreamed big, I won't hold that against him.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    I have the kone as well, it's lovely

• Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    @freelancerbob (and anyone else who was wondering)

Found the info about being able to earn The Ascension after the current season ends. This blog post and this forum post confirm it.

I'd still push to get it done this season if you can, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "delay" in the implementation of method for acquiring it once the next season starts.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    also @Freelancerbob do not salvage your ascended backpiece.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Guild Hall Re-take Event!

Hey guys! As promised, we're going to switch from Gilded Hollows to Lost Precipice. That means another guild hall claiming event! So if you missed the last one, you get another bite at the apple! We promised that since our last event was EU-friendly, this one would instead be Australia-friendly.

Saturday, June 11th at 7:30PM Pacific Time

What's all this then?
    We're switching guild halls, which means we need to capture the other hall. See here for details: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/23/gw2-guild-hall-claiming-and-upgrade-guide/

Guild halls? What?
    How to Guild Hall

Why the switch?
    There's two sets of guild weapon skins, and you can only get the second set from the other hall. We've been collecting Tenebrous Crystals for the Tenebrous Weapons, now we need to collect Shimmering Crystals for the Shimmering Weapons.

How do I know if I have enough Tenebrous Crystals?
    You need 160 to make all the weapons. An additional 66 is still useful, but not necessary, since you can make the armor from either crystal type.

Do I need to do anything while we still have Gilded Hollows?
    Mine the guild gathering every day until you have 160 Tenebrous Crystals! You don't need to actually buy anything, just accumulate the materials.

Are there any requirements to partcipate?
    Be level 80, own Heart of Thorns, be in [NICE] on NA servers, show up!

See you guys there! <3

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    We don't need to buy the recipes or anything like that, right? For the Tenebrous stuff?

• Options
    We don't need to buy the recipes or anything like that, right? For the Tenebrous stuff?
    Kylindra wrote: »
    Do I need to do anything while we still have Gilded Hollows?
    Mine the guild gathering every day until you have 160 Tenebrous Crystals! You don't need to actually buy anything, just accumulate the materials.

• Options
    Got it.

Does this mean the hall will have to be leveled up all over again? (Just asking out of curiosity.)

• Options
    Got it.

Does this mean the hall will have to be leveled up all over again? (Just asking out of curiosity.)

No.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Getting frustrated. I joined a PVP guild about, oh, 2 PVP seasons ago called End The Streak. The guild's entire purpose is to provide casual parties so you don't end up with leavers or jerks, the theory being that even if your guild mates aren't so good at PVP, having guild buddies who aren't leavers or jerks > dealing with solo Q.

... buuut for some reason in this PVP season, nobody is answering me when I go "heyyy emerald LFG" in guild chat, and I'm on a hell of a losing streak. Stuck at the bottom of Emerald for the past week now. It's demoralizing. I know I'm not *bad* at PVP per se... I'm no godly PVP genius, but I did make it to Ruby last season.

So I guess the question is: anybody wanna PVP with me to at least keep my morale up?

Related news: since my favored classes last season (condi necro, trap DH, and scrapper engie) got nerfed, I'm trying out Warrior. My win rate isn't so good yet because I haven't played my warrior in almost a year so I'm not quite sure of my rotation yet... but even then, holy hell is warrior overpowered in the new meta. *edit* my win rate with her is still ass though :\

also I gotta post screenshots of her later, she's a tiny asura and I've put her in the Arcane outfit since I don't have any good looking heavy armor skins yet. She's adorable.

*edit* And yeah like. I can't figure out if it's that I'm just not used to the new meta yet and I haven't figured out how to counter stuff yet, or if it's that I'm getting paired with shitty teammates, or if it's because it's early in the season so I'm with a mixed bag of people like me who got to the start of Ruby and people who were one pip away from Diamond and by a fluke didn't make it.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    So I got bored last night.

Some of you might know my guardian:
    wq0tx3wbfnp9.jpg

And I got to thinking- what's the opposite of that? I bring you:
    eqhrtm3db6aa.jpg

• Options
    People interested in raiding: a group on Reddit is doing Community Raid Nights Wednesday at 8:00 PM EST.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4lhmp0/roid_introducing_community_raid_nights_na/

Their goal is to try to get as many new people through the raids as possible, by helping to teach them the raid (with an expectation that you've at least watched a YouTube video / otherwise familiarized yourself with the basics first).

I'm going to try to try this out.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    So I made an Asura (?) Mesmer. Anything special I should know before I get too far? I think I'm only level 3.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So I made an Asura (?) Mesmer. Anything special I should know before I get too far? I think I'm only level 3.

You have very little damage compared to other classes so be prepared for things not dying as fast. Your best melee set for killing things is sword/sword and greatsword is your best ranged option. Generally speaking, leaving a phantasm up will do more damage than shattering it so only shatter for damage if the target is near death. You count as an additional phantasm/clone for the purpose of calculating shatter effects.

Using Feedback on Mordrem Snipers, Bristlebacks, or other ranged open world mobs is hilarious.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Ok, thanks.

I'm actually considering deleting my existing chars. I have nothing super high level (33 Ranger, 24 Elementalist). Since I'm so far removed from the game, I figure it'd just be easier to start from scratch rather than trying to figure out wtf I'm doing on an existing character.

IIRC, most stuff (money, karma, crafting stuff) is all account-shared, right? Is there anything I should transfer/sell/do/whatever on my chars before I delete them?

• Options
    Ok, thanks.

I'm actually considering deleting my existing chars. I have nothing super high level (33 Ranger, 24 Elementalist). Since I'm so far removed from the game, I figure it'd just be easier to start from scratch rather than trying to figure out wtf I'm doing on an existing character.

IIRC, most stuff (money, karma, crafting stuff) is all account-shared, right? Is there anything I should transfer/sell/do/whatever on my chars before I delete them?

If you don't need the character slots, I advise against deleting the characters. For one thing, they will get "birthday" gifts that you might be interested in (such as your choice of dyes). Also, once you figure out your mesmer, it's not that difficult to get back on the other classes.

• Options
    Anet really needs to reduce the amount of Leather required for Thick Leather back to 3 :| Thick Leather is THE biggest thing holding me back from finishing Research right now. Deldrimoor Steel and Spiritwood Planks I can just slowly farm up -- especially Steel, by rich node jumping -- but the fact that it takes 4 thick leather pieces AND that you can't really reliably farm leather in any way means that leather is the new silk, basically. gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    When anyone's able, can you please send a guild invite to Longthought.7965? I'm stuck on Crystal Desert at the moment guesting into Fort Aspenwood, but I'll try and xfer over when possible (if that's even a thing anymore).

Thanks!

• Options
    When anyone's able, can you please send a guild invite to Longthought.7965? I'm stuck on Crystal Desert at the moment guesting into Fort Aspenwood, but I'll try and xfer over when possible (if that's even a thing anymore).

Thanks!

Sent!

• Options
    So, trying to PuG master tier fractals sure is a thing.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Maximizing pain?

• Options
    Oats wrote: »
    Maximizing pain?

I only attempted 2 so far and since they're still in the "all the conditions" scale, they mostly play the same as the Expert tier equivalents in that 1 was pretty straightforward once people waited for people to regroup and swap out abilities and the other was painful because the 3 people grouped up together were trying to suicide rush through trash mobs like it was a sub-50 fractal. But now the people insisting on suicidal approaches are even bigger geese who are sure they're using the right approach and anything going wrong is the fault of others.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ok, thanks.

If you don't need the character slots, I advise against deleting the characters. For one thing, they will get "birthday" gifts that you might be interested in (such as your choice of dyes). Also, once you figure out your mesmer, it's not that difficult to get back on the other classes.

Well I needed the slots, and I'm such a filthy casual that I don't really care about the birthday stuff. I just like to hop on for an hour or so a night and run around doing things. I rerolled a Ranger and so far it's been pretty fun. I also took up leatherworking and jewelry, but my full bank kinda limits what I can do so far.

I've been using a longbow and my initial wolf pet. Should I look into something else or stick with what I have? Also, what about the point system thing? I've spent two so far to get the item that gives me a passive run speed increase, but haven't spent anything else.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks.

Well I needed the slots, and I'm such a filthy casual that I don't really care about the birthday stuff. I just like to hop on for an hour or so a night and run around doing things. I rerolled a Ranger and so far it's been pretty fun. I also took up leatherworking and jewelry, but my full bank kinda limits what I can do so far.

I've been using a longbow and my initial wolf pet. Should I look into something else or stick with what I have? Also, what about the point system thing? I've spent two so far to get the item that gives me a passive run speed increase, but haven't spent anything else.

Longbow/great sword has been the meta for a while now. Other options are perfectly viable though. While leveling, the game is pretty good about letting you play however you want. I mean, I find longbow to be boring so I use Shortbow or Axe-Warhorn instead and there's no problem. Some people like sword/torch instead of great sword. Just try all the weapons and do whatever you want.

As for points, movement speed was a good choice. I always feel so slow without some kind of boost.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    so 730 pst is February31st est?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    An early movement speed boost is key to enjoying leveling a toon, in my experience. Some classes-- looking at you, Mesmer-- don't get the speed increase until quite late.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, what's a good website for reading up on GW2 class builds ?

• Options
    A heads up to everybody: this week's patch is delayed until tomorrow: because ArenaNet took the day off for the Memorial Day holiday (yay! I hope they got rest and ate lots of BBQ!)
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    so 730 pst is February31st est?

Er, what? It's 10:30 PM EST.
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Speaking of which, what's a good website for reading up on GW2 class builds ?

Metabattle is my main one; it's got most of the builds that are "meta" right now for stuff like raids. However, it mostly only covers raids, sPVP, Fractals, and Guild vs Guild stuff specifically. If you want either general PVE or WvW builds, you'll have to search elsewhere.

If you are an Engineer specifically, Sheriff Sauer has good stuff; he's carrying on Wolfineer's old work.

There's a subreddit but I'm not sure how good it is

and Into the Mists is pretty good too.

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

Longbow/great sword has been the meta for a while now. Other options are perfectly viable though. While leveling, the game is pretty good about letting you play however you want. I mean, I find longbow to be boring so I use Shortbow or Axe-Warhorn instead and there's no problem. Some people like sword/torch instead of great sword. Just try all the weapons and do whatever you want.

As for points, movement speed was a good choice. I always feel so slow without some kind of boost.

I was using longbow and great sword but I found myself getting absolutely wrecked when I used the sword. I suspect it's just because I'm a lowbie and don't have very good stats yet. Shortbow looks like I want to attack from the side or back, right? I find getting into that position kinda tough, especially when I'm against multiple mobs and my pet can't hold aggro on all of them. On that note, is there a preferred leveling pet?

• Options
    I kinda get the impression that the GW2 devs got lazy and made Greatsword the best attack weapon for all classes that can use it.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I kinda get the impression that the GW2 devs got lazy and made Greatsword the best attack weapon for all classes that can use it.

Its not best for ranger, its okay for guardians, its pretty good for mesmer but shield is more useful now.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I find Sceptre and Shield to be the best Mesmer combo, by far. Given the correct build you never run out of Illusions. But I do like the Greatsword's AOE and Knockback abilities.

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks.

I was using longbow and great sword but I found myself getting absolutely wrecked when I used the sword. I suspect it's just because I'm a lowbie and don't have very good stats yet. Shortbow looks like I want to attack from the side or back, right? I find getting into that position kinda tough, especially when I'm against multiple mobs and my pet can't hold aggro on all of them. On that note, is there a preferred leveling pet?

Part of the problem for greatsword rangers is that the class is not great for melee unless you spec and set your gear directly for close combat. However, if you do that, you are going to have a tough time actually killing things. The class does do well with ranged abilities/encounters and when "you" need to be mobile. Keep in mind, if the target is moving around a lot, your pet is going to have a tough time landing any hits thanks to ANets crappy AI coding. Rangers excel in the mid-to-long range engagement zone which isn't always the easiest to maintain in an ongoing fight.

For pets, overall I recommend drakes for PvE as they are durable and actually do decent damage to other PvE mobs. In PvP/Wuv it just depends on what you want to do. Dogs are good for their stun, some of the new HoT pets have unique and powerful attacks but are a bit buggy, and while birds hit hard they have a significant delay on when they actually do start their attacks.

253J736.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Ok, thanks.

Part of the problem for greatsword rangers is that the class is not great for melee unless you spec and set your gear directly for close combat. However, if you do that, you are going to have a tough time actually killing things. The class does do well with ranged abilities/encounters and when "you" need to be mobile. Keep in mind, if the target is moving around a lot, your pet is going to have a tough time landing any hits thanks to ANets crappy AI coding. Rangers excel in the mid-to-long range engagement zone which isn't always the easiest to maintain in an ongoing fight.

For pets, overall I recommend drakes for PvE as they are durable and actually do decent damage to other PvE mobs. In PvP/Wuv it just depends on what you want to do. Dogs are good for their stun, some of the new HoT pets have unique and powerful attacks but are a bit buggy, and while birds hit hard they have a significant delay on when they actually do start their attacks.

Hmm didnt have a problem as a close range ranger, using zerk gear and would just leap into crowds, drop aoe traps and dodge out if things got too hairy.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options

It really depends what context is being discussed. For high end PvE content, Rangers tend to use other weapons, Reapers are preferred as conditional damage, and Mesmers favor greatsword if it's a ranged fight but usually are in melee with swords along with the rest of the party. Open world follow-the-zerg is more friendly to the big, sweeping attacks greatsword sets often have though.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Where could I find a good drake?

*Edit*
    I googled it and it looks like I might want an ice drake, and I can get one in the Norn starter zone. As a Sylvari, what's the easiest way to get there?

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    All racial capital cities have portals that take you (I think) to all other racial capital cities. If they don't, then they at least have a portal to Lion's Harch, which has portals going everywhere.

Fairchild on
This discussion has been closed.