As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm Mr. [Chat]seeks, look at me!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Morning folks.

We finished Master of None last night :(

That finale
    it must be nice to be rich and have zero responsibilities. I'm going to Italy on a whim to learn how to make pasta. So deep. Gag. :rotate:

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Elldren: Kofu.

Takeda holds that whole region unfortunately

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Figures. I wanted to get you as many gold mines as possible.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Satsuma?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Nobunaga, eh

clearly you should plant your flag over Beijing

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    ok so where in Japan (generally speaking) should I start my new clan?

keep in mind I can't supplant an existing historical castle so don't say "Edo" or whatever, generalities are fine

N-Neo Tokyo?

More serious answer:

Okinawa.

also not part of Japan yet

Ryukyu is kind of it's own independent kingdom right now

and now is the 16th century

Well Goddammit @Elldren , now you're making this hard.

Higo province. Claim that Musashi is your ancestor, and that you possess an original copy of Five Rings.

What game are you playing? EU IV?

this is hilarious considering he hasn't even been born yet

imma edit him to make him related to me it'll be awesome

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2015
    while all things are, holistically, about licking butts... there is a sans-rectum point under that. it makes sense to pursue and be comfortable with people who've had relatable life experiences. the 'typical' american college experience is i think pretty formative and forms a big cultural touchstone for a lot of people about how to live with others, how to deal with stress, etc plus all the references. lots of shared experience.

but being funny or clever or loving don't rely on that collection of experiences. it strikes me as unlikely that you just couldn't form a real bond with someone if they lacked the college experience. that is one of the reasons i say it's healthy to fux with people outside your tight circle- it's a reminder that there's a human commonality that transcends a lot of our cultural institutions. the other reason is that it lets you learn things and be more sensitive to the people around you who aren't exactly like you.

also, you should eat ass often and excitedly.

Organichu on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Everyone here seems to think I deliberate isolate myself from people who are different from myself, which is hilarious. I associate with my peer groups and those, shockingly, are made up of people who are in similiar circumstances to me (except for in me level for most of my non work friends). I would need to put a a very deliberate effort into seeking out people in different circumstances than me. Almost all of our friends who don't live in the city are middle class, college educated home owners with children.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Captain @Havelock2.0 has been killed in the defense of Earth and humanity.
    It was that one damn cyberdisk on Slingshot. That one that spawns activated. It spawned offscreen, barged through a door, and shot Havelock in the flank all on the turn it spawned. The sadistic thing was that it crit-wounded him instead of just killing him outright. So I either had to let it live another turn, and hope it both A: moved away from Havelock and B: didn't kill my medic, or kill it this turn, and get Havelock killed when the Cyberdisk exploded right next to him. The former would definitely get someone else killed, might not get the cyberdisk away from Havelock, and the person killed might've been my medic so even if the disk moved there'd be noone to stabilize Havelock. It would not be an acceptable risk to try and save Havelock. So, I killed the disk, it exploded, and Havelock died.
    A good operative. Performed very well in Newfoundland; he and Drez had Close and Personal so they were able to whittle down the Chrysalids on our tail during exfiltration. Excluding that he still had a lengthy list of kills to match his rank. So it goes.

cB557 on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Fushimi

idunno

Neco on
  • Options
    Everyone here seems to think I deliberate isolate myself from people who are different from myself, which is hilarious. I associate with my peer groups and those, shockingly, are made up of people who are in similiar circumstances to me (except for in me level for most of my non work friends). I would need to put a a very deliberate effort into seeking out people in different circumstances than me. Almost all of our friends who don't live in the city are middle class, college educated home owners with children.

i'm not saying you should have worked hard to seduce a black girl who grew up dirt poor, or whatever. i'm just saying that in the aggregate, i don't think it's really true that you couldn't have dated a girl who didn't go to college. maybe you couldn't like, practically- since you didn't really know any. just, potentially, conceptually.

i'm fairly certain that you harbor a strong, sexual need for me and i don't have a degree. qed.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

keep in mind I can't supplant an existing historical castle so don't say "Edo" or whatever, generalities are fine

N-Neo Tokyo?

More serious answer:

Okinawa.

Higo province. Claim that Musashi is your ancestor, and that you possess an original copy of Five Rings.

Oh shit, my history isn't up to snuff. I thought he died in the 1500s.

:|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's hard to talk about Ajin without spoiling anything neat, because of the way things are presented.
    "Ajin" means something like "demihuman" or "metahuman". It's a manga.

The protagonist is
    basically devoid of empathy. And a bit of a selfish asshole. And easily ruffled. He can be an active villain without remorse, for his own convenience.
    But he's basically benevolent? It's just accepted that being a regular, model citizen is the goal in life, and there's no interest in being a rebel without a cause, or anything. There are moments when he seems really conflicted about how inconvenient it is to do what a good person would do. The motivations are kind of twisted.

The main antagonist is
    basically devoid of empathy. And easily bored. He is a villain without remorse, for reasons.
    I lied. There are no reasons. He doesn't have a goal. He plots, kills and destroys because it's fun. And sometimes he'll get bored of fighting and just abandon his own plans, to sit at home and play videogames.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

take it from someone who is also well off and basically has little to no worries in his general life SKFM

we do sort of exist in our own little bubble of self deception about how others see us. there's a reason I dress down/wear my clothes down to the last thread and drive a shitmobile most days and its to keep me grounded in the reality that most people aren't well off and have ten thousand more worries than me.

which is not to say that I don't also have nice things and occasionally act like a rich bastard.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    College experience isn't all that interesting compared to the breadth of knowledge associated with a college education.

There are other ways to get it, and plenty of college graduates are dumb as rocks, but the numbers favor college.

• Options
    also my eye doctor sent me a bill for like $200. i was clearly told i didn't even have a copay but here i am. i guess i talk to them and or submit it to my insurance? it says my insurance paid like 90 some bucks.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

Satsuma?

Higo is better than Satsuma because Shimada is fucking scary

meanwhile I can handle the

N-Neo Tokyo?

More serious answer:

Okinawa.

Oh shit, my history isn't up to snuff. I thought he died in the 1500s.

:|

1600s

He was born in 1584

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    we do sort of exist in our own little bubble of self deception about how others see us.
    you are no more self-deceiving than the people who resent you for your success.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »
    we do sort of exist in our own little bubble of self deception about how others see us.

my success is an inheritance

• Options

...Do you fly a helicopter to work or something?

I mean, I assume you work in a city rather than a secluded mountain palace?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    so is everyone's.

there are precious few orphan savants.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

nownow

it take hutzpah to be born into wealth kid

don't put yourself down

• Options
    i'm trying to validate the conservative, slippery slope argument about gay marriage by marrying a dog. really trying to exemplify my ideas about crossing your comfort zone.

• Options
    I literally earned none of the money I have unless you count the fact that I was up at my grandmothers every day helping to take care of the place during her last years.

Money does change you. It really really does and I find I have to make a conscious effort on my part to not let it change me for the worse.

And really this isn't about success, it's about how to act after you have reached that success.

• Options
    I'm not even doing well in life and my upper middle class background still leaves me with tons of privilege and disconnect from others. Even though I grew up with family that lived in a rough situation I still have a hard time connecting with people who are now doing much better than I am. Class sticks with you.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2015
    there are precious few orphan savants.

I tried to create one years ago by killing some rich kid's parents in Crime Alley, but he grew up to be a spoiled brat who spends all his time boozing and womanising.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    i'm trying to validate the conservative, slippery slope argument about gay marriage by marrying a dog. really trying to exemplify my ideas about crossing your comfort zone.

then after that you need to marry a horse and have it eat the dog

• Options
    edited November 2015
    i read a really interesting article about a tech multimillionaire- idr what company he helped found. but he sold it to one of the huge powerhouses (yahoo, maybe?) and his cut was like 580 million in cash. it was an interesting read. he wasn't really a broke guy- he was probably solidly upper middle class, based on the fact he helped found a tech company and had built it to valuable maturity. but it was still a life transformation.

edit: one of the things i remember is he occasionally just picks up the tab for friends when out, but not every single time

Organichu on
  • Options
    i read a really interesting article about a tech multimillionaire- idr what company he helped found. but he sold it to one of the huge powerhouses (yahoo, maybe?) and his cut was like 580 million in cash. it was an interesting read. he wasn't really a broke guy- he was probably solidly upper middle class, based on the fact he helped found a tech company and had built it to valuable maturity. but it was still a life transformation.

its like when you hear about people winning the lottery. 90% of the time those stories end in sadness.

• Options
    it was probably on QI but I heard about a thing called "sudden wealth syndrome"

it's an actual psychological condition where it was observed people who suddenly went from having no money to having lots of money (like lottery winners or whatever) actually had a tendency to swing hard right politically and become far less empathetic to their fellow man

we joke about "Fuck You Got Mine" but it's 100% real

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I've chomping the bit all weekend, I really hope I get a call about this job today. If it isn't today it wouldn't likely be till Thursday that I hear. Trying to not be negative on the not hearing front.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    I literally earned none of the money I have unless you count the fact that I was up at my grandmothers every day helping to take care of the place during her last years.

Money does change you. It really really does and I find I have to make a conscious effort on my part to not let it change me for the worse.
    you also didn't earn being born into a stable country, with decent school systems and reasonably functional democracy and jobs. nor, i suspect, did anyone in the thread.

it's the whole "one more advantage" trick again.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I've chomping the bit all weekend, I really hope I get a call about this job today. If it isn't today it wouldn't likely be till Thursday that I hear. Trying to not be negative on the not hearing front.

Have you tried sending them a sexy selfie?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    "Joegart Chill" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

it's an actual psychological condition where it was observed people who suddenly went from having no money to having lots of money (like lottery winners or whatever) actually had a tendency to swing hard right politically and become far less empathetic to their fellow man

there's a rule in my house that we match the amount of money we spend on gifts for Christmas and birthdays and shit and send it to a charity specifically because of that. It keeps us from buying exorbitantly expensive gifts.

• Options

its like when you hear about people winning the lottery. 90% of the time those stories end in sadness.

Specifically, those stories end with, "...And then he/she drained it all away gambling,"

Vegas's bedrock is probably almost entirely composed of the terrible, sudden discovery that someone has a gambling addiction that they just hadn't been able to feed until [windfall] happened.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Casual wrote: »

I've seen it more then once. Plenty of people are only nice because they can't afford to be otherwise.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    @syndalis @elki MS isreal just canned 60 devs working on hololens sounds like they are going with some different tech for and and bringing it over here for development

• Options

you also didn't earn being born into a stable country, with decent school systems and reasonably functional democracy and jobs. nor, i suspect, did anyone in the thread.

it's the whole "one more advantage" trick again.

Except this isn't an advantage. This is a cheat code. No one in my house actually has to work. We could spend and spend and spend and my kids would both have enough to comfortably spend and spend and spend too.

My entire life is literally paid for if I wanted to go that way.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I wish I was successful

This discussion has been closed.