As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I keep going back and forth on whether Yo-Yo will be the one.
    Man, don't keep me hanging on a string!

You could walk the dog while you're waiting.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    What if the vision is a huge fakeout.

Like, kinda like Loki at the end of Avengers, the Kree show up and they have a big battle and get Hive under control. And the Kree are like, "We can take it from here.", and Coulson is like "Here's a jacket, you're one of us now." and then Hive escapes.

The shot is so ambiguous I go more and more crazy thinking of ways it could make sense that we havent even thought of yet.

Honestly, its the marketing that is doing the old-school comic cover of "SOMEONE dies! For REAL!" that has me convinced it has to be part of the team -- but those covers were NOTORIOUS for exaggerating so now I'm wondering if they're playing off THAT aspect and I'm back to insane.

This show got good.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I keep going back and forth on whether Yo-Yo will be the one.
    Man, don't keep me hanging on a string!

You could walk the dog while you're waiting.

I think he has enough time to go around the world.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    The idea that the inhumans fit niches in their society doesn't jive with it being determined by the Kree unless the Kree are actually a deity that is actively determining their fates. Because if a new niche opens up you can't predict that thousands of years ahead of time. You can't know that Raina was going to die and open up a niche for an inhuman that can see the future ahead of time.

Well, in the sense of there being no over-watching intelligence saying "whelp, it'd be useful to have a chick that causes earthquakes, so let's have a chick that causes earthquakes. And one who sees the future, but she's been kind of a bitch so let's make her very existence a living hell, doo de doo", but something passive with the genes interacting/recognizing *something* in the environment or person that made sense (from the stance of an advanced alien race using a genetic melting pot to create weapons of mass destruction).

Again, obviously it doesn't have the slightest resemblance to how genetics and natural selection and evolutionary niches form and whatnot.

But from the "any sufficiently advanced science..." stance that Thor 1 took, it wouldn't put me off if they dumbed it down a little for the average viewer and just ran with it.

Given that Doctor Strange will be introducing the mystical angle to the MCU, having the inhuman system produce a variety of outcomes including an outcome that hunts down other inhumans works for me. That's all. Not saying it's going to fit everybody, but IF we take that 'niche filling' as being possible, having a niche to avoid their little science experiment getting out of hand seems like a valuable thing.

Doubly so if Earth was 'seeded' after Hive had already ruined at least one world. At that point, they had strong evidence that it might be worthwhile to keep everything in check, lest one of their projects accidentally get out of hand in a way they don't want.

I say this just as a 'filling in the blanks' approach that combines what we've been shown and what I've come to expect from comics and tv shows. The show runners might have an extensive bible going on how this all worked/works, or maybe I'm just over thinking it more than anyone involved beyond "how do we tie this to the rest of the series/movies" and "what is going to be fun"?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    You can't know that Raina was going to die and open up a niche for an inhuman that can see the future ahead of time.

I think there might be a flaw in this logic.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    You can't know that Raina was going to die and open up a niche for an inhuman that can see the future ahead of time.

The example used by the show was that Raina's death opened up a niche that the new inhuman filled.
    So for them to be able to know this and somehow plan it out to some great cosmic plan either the assumption is that the Kree could see into the future, which doesn't make sense because they've now multiple times been foiled by the inhumans, or whatever this meta-inhumanity thing is that determines what a niche is and when it opens up is itself a deity capable of omniscience, and essentially manipulating fate.

Which is why it's more likely that the whole thing was a faith based comment and not evidence that the Kree were capable of controlling the inhuman genome for millennia, but incapable of recognizing that the Kree were about to get their butts kicked by the inhumans so hard that the inkling of a continued inhuman presence on Earth was enough to send more Kree across the galaxy to kill them.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

The example used by the show was that Raina's death opened up a niche that the new inhuman filled.
    So for them to be able to know this and somehow plan it out to some great cosmic plan either the assumption is that the Kree could see into the future, which doesn't make sense because they've now multiple times been foiled by the inhumans, or whatever this meta-inhumanity thing is that determines what a niche is and when it opens up is itself a deity capable of omniscience, and essentially manipulating fate.

Which is why it's more likely that the whole thing was a faith based comment and not evidence that the Kree were capable of controlling the inhuman genome for millennia, but incapable of recognizing that the Kree were about to get their butts kicked by the inhumans so hard that the inkling of a continued inhuman presence on Earth was enough to send more Kree across the galaxy to kill them.

I was mostly being tongue in cheek. That sentence, about 2 people who can see the future, and not being able to predict the future, struck me as funny.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The idea that the inhumans fit niches in their society doesn't jive with it being determined by the Kree unless the Kree are actually a deity that is actively determining their fates. Because if a new niche opens up you can't predict that thousands of years ahead of time. You can't know that Raina was going to die and open up a niche for an inhuman that can see the future ahead of time.

They aren't. They're a very high level alien race which has crazy science to make any super-humans they want. This isn't that crazy an idea for mad science that the Kree operate on. The Inhumans probably have some code in their DNA that creates certain powers under a variety of factors, no "fate" needed. I think you're letting Raina's worshipful influence get to you with how you see them - it's a misunderstood less to view them though.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    The inhuman to fear will be the one with mentat training, for their mind will be prepared to process the infinity of being prescient.

But really I hope the Kree show up and be awesome and not blue man group cannon fodder somehow.

• Options
    navgoose wrote: »
    The inhuman to fear will be the one with mentat training, for their mind will be prepared to process the infinity of being prescient.

But really I hope the Kree show up and be awesome and not blue man group cannon fodder somehow.

I don't expect anything to big from the Kree, they're likely saving them for the movies.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular

They aren't. They're a very high level alien race which has crazy science to make any super-humans they want. This isn't that crazy an idea for mad science that the Kree operate on. The Inhumans probably have some code in their DNA that creates certain powers under a variety of factors, no "fate" needed. I think you're letting Raina's worshipful influence get to you with how you see them - it's a misunderstood less to view them though.

You might even say that the Kree have a "Supreme Intelligence!" [/nerdjoke]

Terrigen Mists could be composed of nanobots that are controlled by a central intelligence that rewrites DNA of those with specific genetic markers. Perhaps Inhuman DNA is made to be more resilient to nanobot manipulations or are made. Since the Nanobots are run by a central intelligence, it has a list of roles and just fills them when one becomes open. It is possible that these Nanobots are what make people susceptible to Hive.

Also, I doubt the Kree view Earth as a nothing world now that Thor, prince of Asgard has taken an interest. They repelled an invasion from the Loki-led, Thanos-backed Chitauri. They also successfully took down a Reality Stone-empowered Malekith. Also, the Kree just witnessed a human channel the power of the Power Stone and take down Ronan the Accuser. I would expect that many worlds are now looking at Earth with an eye towards erasing it. This would be the perfect setup for a Secret Invasion plot but stupid Fox has Skrulls.

• Options

Terrigen Mists could be composed of nanobots that are controlled by a central intelligence that rewrites DNA of those with specific genetic markers. Perhaps Inhuman DNA is made to be more resilient to nanobot manipulations or are made. Since the Nanobots are run by a central intelligence, it has a list of roles and just fills them when one becomes open. It is possible that these Nanobots are what make people susceptible to Hive.

Also, I doubt the Kree view Earth as a nothing world now that Thor, prince of Asgard has taken an interest. They repelled an invasion from the Loki-led, Thanos-backed Chitauri. They also successfully took down a Reality Stone-empowered Malekith. Also, the Kree just witnessed a human channel the power of the Power Stone and take down Ronan the Accuser. I would expect that many worlds are now looking at Earth with an eye towards erasing it. This would be the perfect setup for a Secret Invasion plot but stupid Fox has Skrulls.

They made a point back in Season 1 about how the thing that usually keeps the aliens away from Earth is the Asgardians, so it isn't like they're only just now taking an interest. They revisited that in Season 2.
    The reason they weren't there in force in the Avengers during the Chitauri attack was because Thor blew up the Rainbow Bridge in Thor 1. Thor 2 showed that Avengers was just kind of him stopping off to reassert that Asgardian protection on his whirlwind tour back through the nine realms.

I know full well they aren't I was pointing out that the only way to have the Kree be that prescient was to make them much more than they are to the effect that to predict how certain events would play out they'd have to basically be gods. Which they aren't, I already knew that, that was the point of the statement.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Unless the powers granted to the Inhuman is determined by the Terrigen crystal / gas, and not by their genetics. Which may also help explain why the inhumans gene's change after terrigenesis.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Unless the powers granted to the Inhuman is determined by the Terrigen crystal / gas, and not by their genetics. Which may also help explain why the inhumans gene's change after terrigenesis.

Could be both at once. Genes indicate which abilities someone's best suited for, and the gas release picks the one the current environment most requires.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

They made a point back in Season 1 about how the thing that usually keeps the aliens away from Earth is the Asgardians, so it isn't like they're only just now taking an interest. They revisited that in Season 2.
    The reason they weren't there in force in the Avengers during the Chitauri attack was because Thor blew up the Rainbow Bridge in Thor 1. Thor 2 showed that Avengers was just kind of him stopping off to reassert that Asgardian protection on his whirlwind tour back through the nine realms.

I know full well they aren't I was pointing out that the only way to have the Kree be that prescient was to make them much more than they are to the effect that to predict how certain events would play out they'd have to basically be gods. Which they aren't, I already knew that, that was the point of the statement.

Although that Asgardian protection doesn't really seem like it would be THAT effective at this point. I mean look how badly they got trashed by a single dark elf ship. Thor is strong, but he could only slow the Chitauri down as well, not actually stop them.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

Although that Asgardian protection doesn't really seem like it would be THAT effective at this point. I mean look how badly they got trashed by a single dark elf ship. Thor is strong, but he could only slow the Chitauri down as well, not actually stop them.

The whole point of the Dark Elves is that they were big enough to be a real threat to the Asgardians. There's nothing about their capabilities that makes it seem like losing to them somehow makes the Asgardians weak, or the Chitauri a more credible threat.

Though, I think you're missing the other point of that which was that Thor alone was able to slow down the Chitauri, the Asgardians on the warpath or out in full force would be scarily effective against anything the alien forces could throw at them, with few exceptions.
    And if you go back, you'll see that Thor was able to hold off the Chitauri "whales" on his own, and Malekith and Kurse were able to take him head on. So that puts a pin in the idea that the Dark Elves were a huge leap above the Chitauri.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Also, Skrulls have been named dropped by Lady Sif. They are shared property of Fox and Marvel.

• Options
    Also, Skrulls have been named dropped by Lady Sif. They are shared property of Fox and Marvel.

Phase 5?

• Options

Phase 5?

Maybe. Depending on if Fox will finally accept that they don't know what to do with the FF line and give it to Marvel. Or do like Sony did with Spiderman.

• Options

Phase 5?

Maybe. Depending on if Fox will finally accept that they don't know what to do with the FF line and give it to Marvel. Or do like Sony did with Spiderman.

They don't have to do that, they can use the Skulls - just not all the Skull characters. Like Super Skrull.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    ...maybe the Skrull invasion has already started? :o

Thinking about it, without Super Skrulls, Secret Invasion would probably work pretty well as a season long arc.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Skrull Empress should be on the table for Marvel. Probably save her for movies, though.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

When was that?

She mentioned Kree during her "Blue alien" spiel, but I don't recall her mentioning Skrulls.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just realized that nothing big has resulted from the end of the Watchdogs episode.
    Blake turning that nuke over to Giyera and getting whatever they gave to him in return.

I'm sure that will be resolved within the next few episodes.

• Options
    Skrull Empress should be on the table for Marvel. Probably save her for movies, though.
    Steve Rogers is the Skrull Empress!

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Steve Rogers is the Skrull Empress!
    Nah, Black Widow, gives her whole speech in the truck in Winter Soldier a whole new angle.

• Options

When was that?

She mentioned Kree during her "Blue alien" spiel, but I don't recall her mentioning Skrulls.

I could have sworn she said it the first time she was on AoS.

• Options
    The complete list of blue-skinned aliens that Sif mentions includes Interdites, Levians, Pheragots, Kree, Sarks, Centaurians, and Frost Giants.

Maybe your thinking of Sarks.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I want the next episode to consist of the cast just conspicuously handing the cross necklace off.

Yo-Yo: "Hey Mack, hold onto this cross for me."

Mack: "Crap, I left that cross on my dresser. Fitz, go grab it for me."

Fitz: "Shoot, I think I dropped Mack's cross. Jemma, can you help me look for it?"

Ultimately, it gets picked up by the janitor who accidentally stumbles into a launch chamber right before takeoff.

Better yet, film the entire episode from the pov of the cross.

In order to keep the janitor entertained in space after he heals due to being a surprise Inhuman they beam up old movies and Fitz makes him a couple robot pals to keep him company.

I just got caught up
    and they've got Lash, an Inhuman whose entire shtick is killing Inhumans, shoved in a box and they've been talking a lot about Inhumans getting powers almost by design, to fill a niche. Then there's the talk about Lash still having a bit of Andrew in him and while they're afraid of that being gone, I think we've all seen enough movies to know how that can really play out. I'm kinda just waiting for the pin on that grenade to get pulled.

Coulson's shield was simultaneously badass and adorable. I love that even after everything that has happened Phil is still a dorky fanboy.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My love for the Son of Coul is like unto that for Bill, born of Bills.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

In order to keep the janitor entertained in space after he heals due to being a surprise Inhuman they beam up old movies and Fitz makes him a couple robot pals to keep him company.

Uh, did Fitz use the special parts that control when the movie begins or ends?

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    The complete list of blue-skinned aliens that Sif mentions includes Interdites, Levians, Pheragots, Kree, Sarks, Centaurians, and Frost Giants.

Maybe your thinking of Sarks.

Dudes who know the comics, what are the other races? Was Yondu a Centaurian?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Yondu's a Centuarian in the comics; dunno if that applies to the films.

Interestingly, Luphomoids aren't mentioned in Sif's list. In the comics, that's the race Nebula belongs to.

Someone did a write-up awhile back

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/03/11/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-all-the-blue-aliens-mentioned-by-lady-sif/

• Options
    Yondu's a Centuarian in the comics; dunno if that applies to the films.

Interestingly, Luphomoids aren't mentioned in Sif's list. In the comics, that's the race Nebula belongs to.

Someone did a write-up awhile back

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/03/11/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-all-the-blue-aliens-mentioned-by-lady-sif/

I would say Yondu is still a Centaurian in the MCU, since he still basically looks just like one. Just less silly looking.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Lincoln: Able to generate all the electricity and dumb anyone could want.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Lincoln knows where a bunch of Inhumans and potential Inhumans are.

So let's just sit on a parked plane until Daisy uses her powers.

What I'm saying is that dumb can be contagious.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Lincoln knows where a bunch of Inhumans and potential Inhumans are.

So let's just sit on a parked plane until Daisy uses her powers.

What I'm saying is that dumb can be contagious.

Lincoln projecting a low level localised EM field that makes people more dense is probably a legitimate side effect of his powers.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Indiana is going to screw us isn't it?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Gambit?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Local ABC news just did a beep and a bottom scroll which is an improvement over their parent organization.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
This discussion has been closed.