Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Things from last episode:
    Coulson and May just need to do it already. Between her seeing him when she died and now this, there is absolutely no reason for May to not grab Coulson in a submission hold and have her way with him. Her casual sex with Ward was a long time ago, same for Coulson seeing his long lost girlfriend. I honestly think it would be a good thing for both characters and they deserve a measure of happiness.

If the Spirit of Vengeance was looking for someone with a lot of pain, Daisy would have made a great candidate. Obviously that would have been too OP, though.

The way Jemma cracked the whip and got everyone to leave the lab was delicious. She's come a long way.

Funniest line: "Do we look that stupid when we're on comms?"

Loving this show.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Someone noticed something from the preview. Spoilers for next episode.
    Mace is getting suited up.

Cysk9S9WEAEzEFU.jpg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I'd say they still stand to lose something- money. I doubt they see the expense of the show as just an advertising budget expense. Soon as the show gets too costly bye bye.

If they were losing money like that it'd have been canceled by now. Instead they increased the budget.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Its no small wonder the rating are struggling on SHIELD.
    4 seasons, 3 different time slots, 2 days, and a horribly confusing schedule doesn't net increased viewership.
    I mean the schedule for that show is all over the damn place. I'm a super fan and even I get confused as to when its on.
    That really sucks too because i feel very strongly that it is a superior show in almost every way to the CW offerings.
    If Marvel invested just a small amount of time to cross media stories (Renner has said a number of times he'd do an episode no problem!) i think the ratings would really go up.

Its the only reason i keep my Hulu subscription because i hope on hope that my viewership there translates in to something.
    I wonder how good the netflix streaming numbers are.

I think the weak 1st half of the 1st season really hurt them. That's a shame because i think the show is quite good now.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    4 seasons, 3 different time slots, 2 days, and a horribly confusing schedule doesn't net increased viewership.
    I mean the schedule for that show is all over the damn place. I'm a super fan and even I get confused as to when its on.
    That really sucks too because i feel very strongly that it is a superior show in almost every way to the CW offerings.
    If Marvel invested just a small amount of time to cross media stories (Renner has said a number of times he'd do an episode no problem!) i think the ratings would really go up.

Its the only reason i keep my Hulu subscription because i hope on hope that my viewership there translates in to something.

I think the weak 1st half of the 1st season really hurt them. That's a shame because i think the show is quite good now.

As an example to how awful the scheduling on this show is, I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread, I feel like I haven't watched it in over a month and have somehow only missed one episode. And I'm guessing the winter break is about to start...

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

As an example to how awful the scheduling on this show is, I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread, I feel like I haven't watched it in over a month and have somehow only missed one episode. And I'm guessing the winter break is about to start...

Indeed, tomorrow is the last episode until whenever they decide to show it again next year.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, if SHIELD is cancelled at least we still have the upcoming Imhumans and Damage Control series for ABC.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Well, if SHIELD is cancelled at least we still have the upcoming Imhumans and Damage Control series for ABC.

Damage Control has been awol, as has the John Ridley project and the second comedy project that was rumored to be a Squirrel Girl/New Warriors show.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hulu has a 2-3 second promo that says the name and timeslot right before every broadcast episode of a given show, and they use a tiny clip as background. The choice for AoS? The hero walk from 1x07, where the gang is entering The Hub. It's before Skye is an agent Daisy, before we had much backstory on May, as well as WTF was going on with Coulson, FitzSimmons were still essentially one person, and before Ward betrayed everyone.

Man, how things have changed since that moment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    And again, who didn't this shit from Ada coming.
    Though the part with May was quite a surprise

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

This particular bit is especially puzzling;
    Did Ada build herself a double of May? is she inhabitting her body? Is may alive? is this simply a case of Ada expanding her role?

Also: I'd fucking hate for this show to get cancelled because of fucking scheduling problems.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Agents of SHIELD returns January 10th. Could be worse.
    new subtitle, too: LMD

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Did Ada build herself a double of May? is she inhabitting her body? Is may alive? is this simply a case of Ada expanding her role?

Also: I'd fucking hate for this show to get cancelled because of fucking scheduling problems.
    I'm guessing she's going under the protocol of replacing humanity to protect humanity; I'm also guessing she made a copy of May because Radcliffe had a scan of her brain.

• Options
    http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agents-of-shield-slingshot
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Slingshot takes place shortly before the beginning of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 4. The digital series features Elena "Yo-Yo" Rodriguez, an Inhuman with the ability to move at super-speed. As a person with powers, she must sign the Sokovia Accords. However, the restrictions of the Accords are in direct conflict with a personal mission she's desperate to fulfill, one that will test her abilities and will include tense encounters with S.H.I.E.L.D. team members.

Well there's an unexpected development.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I'm guessing she's going under the protocol of replacing humanity to protect humanity; I'm also guessing she made a copy of May because Radcliffe had a scan of her brain.
    They need to make sure she stays alive, I don't want them to destroy her like Ultron.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Mace must have swiped that costume from the X-Men.

33o4dpe.png

29n8o4m.jpg

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    God I can't place Mace at all, and I love it. Dude manages to switch between shifty and emphatic so smoothly.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Villains that kill their henchmen over petty bullshit are terrible and need to die in a fire.
    Oh, hey! How about that?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So we can expect another May versus May fight? Yes, please.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Mace's armour design reminds me a bit of Cap's, which I guess is kinda fitting given who Jeffrey Mace is in the comics.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    What happened after
    Ada snapped the guy's neck?

My DVR when out.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Answer to GG
    Ada opened the door the guy had seen into, and started wiping blood of an unconscious May and promised it would all be okay (or something along those lines).

Cut to Coulson and "May" opening the bottle they'd been talking about the last few episodes back at the base.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Agents of SHIELD returns January 10th. Could be worse.
    new subtitle, too: LMD

please please please please please

don't adapt any skrull style storylines

please

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    What happened after
    Ada snapped the guy's neck?

My DVR when out.
    She opened the closet that she was stored in, to reveal was holding May hostage and brought a towel and some water water to wash the blood off May. Then we cut to (what we now know to be LMD)May and Coulson opening that bottle of booze together.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

So did they fail to properly save May in time back in like, Ep2? And they've been using an LMD. And now Aida is using her space magic to fix May's brain?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular

So did they fail to properly save May in time back in like, Ep2? And they've been using an LMD. And now Aida is using her space magic to fix May's brain?
    I think she did the switch earlier in the episode. When May went on babysitting duty for Ada, she must have knocked her out and made the switch for when she came back with the team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Eh.
    I had really hoped they wouldn't go the "evil android" route with Aida. It's just really cliche and we already had that with Ultron.

I suppose it's possible they're setting it up to make her look evil, but she actually has a really good reason for everything.

Maybe... they were attacked and May got knocked out and Aida saved her and is now protecting her? From... shadowy threats within SHIELD such that she doesn't know who to trust? Which is why the decoy? And that guy she neck-snapped was a bad guy?

I don't know how involved Whedon is at this point, but that kind of trope-subversion misdirect seems like something he would pull.

It could happen.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Eh.
    I had really hoped they wouldn't go the "evil android" route with Aida. It's just really cliche and we already had that with Ultron.

I suppose it's possible they're setting it up to make her look evil, but she actually has a really good reason for everything.

Maybe... they were attacked and May got knocked out and Aida saved her and is now protecting her? From... shadowy threats within SHIELD such that she doesn't know who to trust? Which is why the decoy? And that guy she neck-snapped was a bad guy?

I don't know how involved Whedon is at this point, but that kind of trope-subversion misdirect seems like something he would pull.

It could happen.
    I am suspicious that Ada is just becoming overzealous in her protection role. It hinges on whether she actually permanently killed that guy or he's just a quadriplegic now.

Android could be fairly precise about which vertebrae it snaps.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    The review on Comic Book Resources aligns pretty well with my thoughts on the episode and the show as a whole: Agents of SHIELD Recap: A Flat Finale Offers A Solid Spy Twist

Here's the introduction of the review:
    Even its most ardent supporters would have to admit that Marvel’s ABC drama “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” has often been lopsided. Some seasons, the show has actually divided its quality episodes right down the middle (think Season 1’s slow start vs its strong finish or Season 2’s killer Hydra arc vs it’s meandering Inhuman saga). But so far, the series’ fourth year on the air has been a odd mix of generally aimless world-building with some killer concepts and characters breaking through now and again. With its mid-season finale – tonight’s “The Laws of Inferno Dynamics” – an action-heavy showdown did little to pull the spy show back on track.

The core of the episode is as straightforward as “Agents” mission-oriented adventures come. Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes’ uncle Eli Morrow is on the cusp of attaining the crazy occult powers he’s been searching after for a decade, leaving the uneasily reconstituted S.H.I.E.L.D. team will use the now unveiled android Aida to stop him. There’s plenty of moment-to-moment action and twists to carry this narrative along, but perhaps it’s more fitting to look at this finale storyline-by-storyline in order to judge where “Agents” is succeeding and where it’s falling short at this point in its history.

My thoughts on Aida:
    I also kind of roll my eyes at Aida going full evil and snapping that guy's neck. I've really enjoyed the character, largely thanks to Mallory Jansen's performance, and I'm not thrilled to see it seemingly going full-cliche just as we were getting to know her.

Here's the conclusion of the CBR review talking about this and the setup for S4.5:
    The shocker is a bit underwhelming as it comes on the heels of such a flat story, but at least the concept holds great promise. “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s” very best moments have come when the series leans hard into its Marvel Universe espionage roots, and nothing fits that description better than a cabal of robotic double-agents trying to take down the organization from the inside. If the show can jettison its Inhuman dead weight, refocus the journey’s of its ever-charming cast and give us some spy-fi storytelling madness next year, there may be hope yet for Season 4.

I share the hope that there is a lot of potential the premise, and I hope it can deliver.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That ending, while the Ada part was predictable, got me excited for the back half of the season which is good considering I thought the the front half main storyline was awful.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Why the hell did
    Robbie just walk into that box?
    Otherwise, pretty good if predictable as said.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Aida
    Possessed by Darkhold spirits!

The Darkhold isn't just a book that happens to make people crazy - in comic-continuity, it's not just dangerous, but aware and tied to tremendous evil forces. Something inhabits that Dark Dimension the guys almost got pulled into, and it's pretty clear to me that whatever the inhabitants are, they want into our world.

They tell scientists how to create matter, only now we find out the techniques/technology doesn't create matter, it draws on power from the Dark Dimension. Taking what's there and bringing it to Earth. They give Aida the know-how to make a portal - another way to bring what's in the Dark to Earth.

Aida making killer androids to over-zealously 'protect' people is the *best* case scenario - what's more likely is that she's a puppet of the forces in the Dark Dimension and they will be manipulating her into creating more ways for what's there to come to Earth. The Dark entities may need bodies - Eli was being driven to create 'life' and Aida created a 'mind' for more androids, so there may be an element of creating either organic or synthetic vessels for them to inhabit. Since Aida can be affected, synethic bodies might serve just as well or better that whatever Eli was intending to create.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Aida
    Possessed by Darkhold spirits!

The Darkhold isn't just a book that happens to make people crazy - in comic-continuity, it's not just dangerous, but aware and tied to tremendous evil forces. Something inhabits that Dark Dimension the guys almost got pulled into, and it's pretty clear to me that whatever the inhabitants are, they want into our world.

They tell scientists how to create matter, only now we find out the techniques/technology doesn't create matter, it draws on power from the Dark Dimension. Taking what's there and bringing it to Earth. They give Aida the know-how to make a portal - another way to bring what's in the Dark to Earth.

Aida making killer androids to over-zealously 'protect' people is the *best* case scenario - what's more likely is that she's a puppet of the forces in the Dark Dimension and they will be manipulating her into creating more ways for what's there to come to Earth. The Dark entities may need bodies - Eli was being driven to create 'life' and Aida created a 'mind' for more androids, so there may be an element of creating either organic or synthetic vessels for them to inhabit. Since Aida can be affected, synethic bodies might serve just as well or better that whatever Eli was intending to create.

I'm going with big ol midisrect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If it's a misdirect it's a cheap one giving what she did.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If it's a misdirect it's a cheap one giving what she did.

I could see
    Knowledge through the darkhold that there are people doing bad things and she incapacitated May to save her. So we get a LMD traumatic sacrifice. As for her dropping that dude it only works if he's somehow a bad guy.

Basically, her knowledge of the future put her in a position to make decisions that we don't understand until it all unfolds and look evil.

Which I guess has been done before in this very show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can we talk about how awesome that "assault" was
    when YoYo sped through to set everything up? Coulson holding out his hand to accept the gun when he said "go ahead" was awesome. I know it was a bit quicksilver like, but...what ever, i enjoyed it.

• Options
    when YoYo sped through to set everything up? Coulson holding out his hand to accept the gun when he said "go ahead" was awesome. I know it was a bit quicksilver like, but...what ever, i enjoyed it.

Yoyo's powers are way better then Quicksilver because she's actually "balanced" - there's obvious limitations so every scene with her doesn't require so much suspension of disbelief.

• Options

Yoyo's powers are way better then Quicksilver because she's actually "balanced" - there's obvious limitations so every scene with her doesn't require so much suspension of disbelief.

Sure, i mainly just meant the "every thing is in slow motion so i'll move objects around" routine. Although this was more clever as
    The entire assault was based off her doing that. All the characters get in to positions so she can exploit her speed and make it a quick fight. It was genius really

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Sure, i mainly just meant the "every thing is in slow motion so i'll move objects around" routine. Although this was more clever as
    The entire assault was based off her doing that. All the characters get in to positions so she can exploit her speed and make it a quick fight. It was genius really

Yeah I actually thought
    "Why is he doing that with his hand? That's weird." And then OH MAN THAT'S AWESOME.

This discussion has been closed.