Options

[Agents of SHIELD] S4E16 - What if... this thread reached 100 pages?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    No new episode until the 29th?! Lame.

Seriously.

That sneak in after the Doctor Strange bit as if we'd forgive then for taking a month off.

• Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Punch dimension is a Gruenwald thing. Gruenwald was really hard to fit existing physics into the explanation for superpowers and Cyclops eyebeams do not generate heat only kinetic energy, which would make it different from any known form of energy. The comics themselves never went that much into detail apart from "kinetic energy, no heat, blocked by ruby quartz for .. reasons).

I don't think that Ruby Quartz does anything at all to stop his powers from working. Professor X noted that the only thing keeping Cyclops' powers from being under control was Cyclops. He created these goofy red glasses and said that they inhibited Scott's powers and then made sure he sold the idea telepathically. Scott, being so young, accepted the idea that the ruby quartz worked and was able to control his power when they were over his eyes.

As for the energy itself, I like to believe that he is channeling the Crimson Cosmos, home of Cyttorak.
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate.

sorry to go back to this, but is that really cyclops' power?

that's just... absurd. even in the context of people controlling the weather and teleporting and all this other weird shit, that one is just on a level of it's own i think.

Storm doesn't control Weather because Weather isn't a thing that can be manipulated. What she does do is manipulate air at an incredibly high level. She just moves moisture and energy around to generate weather effects. The reason her eyes go white when using her powers is because it allows her to perceive what the air has within it.

Nightcrawler also isn't a teleporter, technically. He opens dimensional rifts to a hell dimension and then moves through them to his location. This accounts for the sound, the smoke, the smell, and the sickness that comes with his form of teleportation.

Most high level mutant powers are ridiculous.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    As someone who hasn't read any comics on the subject,
    I feel like the show has done a relatively poor job of explaining why the "Darkhold" is an "evil" book.

So far it's just been presented as a book of infinite knowledge, albeit one with a rather ominous name.

Then everyone started screaming about how it's "eeeeeeevil knowledge!"

RT800 on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I feel like the show has done a relatively poor job of explaining why the "Darkhold" is an "evil" book.

So far it's just been presented as a book of infinite knowledge, albeit one with a rather ominous name.

They're smart enough to know what when something's called 'Dark Force' or similar, you don't mess around with it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Has anyone called it straight up evil? SHIELD just sees it as a super powerful artifact that needs to be kept out of the hands of those who would misuse it, and Eli was only calling it 'eeeeeviiiillll' because he wanted it for himself.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Has anyone called it straight up evil? SHIELD just sees it as a super powerful artifact that needs to be kept out of the hands of those who would misuse it, and Eli was only calling it 'eeeeeviiiillll' because he wanted it for himself.
    I don't think anyone else has called it Evil. But, nobody's called it magic either, to the best of my recollection.
    I'm guessing that once we get new episodes again (after Dr. Strange has been out for a couple weeks) they'll probably be a lot more willing to drop the M word. And possible call it Evil (with a capital E).

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

I don't think anyone else has called it Evil. But, nobody's called it magic either, to the best of my recollection.
    I'm guessing that once we get new episodes again (after Dr. Strange has been out for a couple weeks) they'll probably be a lot more willing to drop the M word. And possible call it Evil (with a capital E).
    Well, they're teetering on the edge of it with 'He says he made a deal with Satan, maaaaaybe?' Given they've been dealing with alien science stuff for years, them being sceptical feels appropriate.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So, assuming that
    the Samaritan was Johnny Blaze, I wonder if he passed his own spirit of vengeance on to Robbie, or instilled a completely different spirit into him.

Also the flameoff effects were cool. It's like someone's reading the forums and going 'shit, these guys want to see him change back. Get on it!'

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    From what little we saw, him turning the flame off is even grosser than flaming on.

• Options
    I liked that presumably Blaze Ghost Rider had the more 'realistic' skull. No, the effects don't suck, we meant for it to look like that. We could have done it the other way, see?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I liked that presumably Blaze Ghost Rider had the more 'realistic' skull. No, the effects don't suck, we meant for it to look like that. We could have done it the other way, see?
    The bullet hole in the skull felt like a reference to something.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    klemming wrote: »

i thought we just saw his legs and motorcycle?

did i screw up in my fast forwarding?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    also, I wonder if they'll ever show Robbie transforming back to a regular human. 'meat burns off skull' is great one way, but how the hell do you show the reverse of that?

hah!
    it looks super gross, naturally!

this ep was neat, but I wasn't a fan of Mace's heel turn. It's somewhat justified, but it felt rather sudden and antagonistic compared to his character so far.

Was cool that Ghost Rider was able to break the containment unit. Guess magic beats science.

Interesting that Robbie got his powers from another Ghost Rider. Has that ever been part of the mythos, passing it on like that?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Punch dimension is a Gruenwald thing. Gruenwald was really hard to fit existing physics into the explanation for superpowers and Cyclops eyebeams do not generate heat only kinetic energy, which would make it different from any known form of energy. The comics themselves never went that much into detail apart from "kinetic energy, no heat, blocked by ruby quartz for .. reasons).

I don't think that Ruby Quartz does anything at all to stop his powers from working. Professor X noted that the only thing keeping Cyclops' powers from being under control was Cyclops. He created these goofy red glasses and said that they inhibited Scott's powers and then made sure he sold the idea telepathically. Scott, being so young, accepted the idea that the ruby quartz worked and was able to control his power when they were over his eyes.

As for the energy itself, I like to believe that he is channeling the Crimson Cosmos, home of Cyttorak.
    Ketherial wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    That is not Cyclops' power though. The limitation on eyes is a psychological limitation not an actual limitation. His actual power is to open portals to a dimension that contains near limitless energy that he can manipulate.

sorry to go back to this, but is that really cyclops' power?

that's just... absurd. even in the context of people controlling the weather and teleporting and all this other weird shit, that one is just on a level of it's own i think.

Storm doesn't control Weather because Weather isn't a thing that can be manipulated. What she does do is manipulate air at an incredibly high level. She just moves moisture and energy around to generate weather effects. The reason her eyes go white when using her powers is because it allows her to perceive what the air has within it.

Nightcrawler also isn't a teleporter, technically. He opens dimensional rifts to a hell dimension and then moves through them to his location. This accounts for the sound, the smoke, the smell, and the sickness that comes with his form of teleportation.

Most high level mutant powers are ridiculous.

Also if I remember correctly there were comic series with night crawler where he bamfed and went into the portal but did not come out as expected so had to wander around whatever hell dimension he opens doors to for a while until he found his way back out again.

• Options
    also, I wonder if they'll ever show Robbie transforming back to a regular human. 'meat burns off skull' is great one way, but how the hell do you show the reverse of that?

hah!
    it looks super gross, naturally!

this ep was neat, but I wasn't a fan of Mace's heel turn. It's somewhat justified, but it felt rather sudden and antagonistic compared to his character so far.

Was cool that Ghost Rider was able to break the containment unit. Guess magic beats science.

Interesting that Robbie got his powers from another Ghost Rider. Has that ever been part of the mythos, passing it on like that?
    Mace is very interesting to me given how quickly he jumps from "overly enthusiastic principal who wants to be your buddy" to "manipulative and authoritarian", without it seeming out of character.

Also he didn't really heel-turn. He's trying to run the damn Agency and Coulson keeps going behind his back, even going as far to harbor a murderer and fugitive and then basically lie to his face when asked about it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    so, last ep,
    did he just science himself into being a wizard?

is this part of the Darkhold's plan or function?

are we gonna have a motherfucker trying to summon Chthon? that's usually the endgame of a Necronomicon stand-in.

seems a lot like the last season's arc with Hive...

• Options
    so, last ep,

are we gonna have a motherfucker trying to summon Chthon? that's usually the endgame of a Necronomicon stand-in.

I'm guessing the Darkhold was straight up teaching them magic, but couching it in science so they could understand it. So they're basically learning wizardy, but they think they're learning science. This is why the science got increasingly sketchy and impossible as the project progressed.

Also, I just had a thought
    Maybe Eli is this universe's Molecule Man?

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    What happened to Gravitonium? We keep seeing shit that acts like that shit but so far no one is saying shit about it.

Seriously, the Hydra Portal Gate thing looked like Gravitonium, now...
    Eli is moving some shit around that looks a bit like Gravitonium. Like, are we going to finally get something from that shit?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    So this Robbie is a real Ghostrider, huh? I like that better than the serial killer ghost the comics did.

• Options
    What happened to Gravitonium? We keep seeing shit that acts like that shit but so far no one is saying shit about it.

Eli is moving some shit around that looks a bit like Gravitonium. Like, are we going to finally get something from that shit?
    Gravitonium is silver, the portal block was black, Eli manifested carbon out of thin air. They're all blobby matter effects, but I doubt they're related.

• Options

Gravitonium is silver, the portal block was black, Eli manifested carbon out of thin air. They're all blobby matter effects, but I doubt they're related.

I remembered Gravitonium being black.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I wonder if that was just a way to write Simmon's out for a bit. Sure felt like it. Or a lame way to insert drama between her and Fitz.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Last time we didn't see Simmons for a bit we ended up with a whole episode of her alone on a strange planet.

I'm confident we'll see what she has been up to.
    (Less confident it'll be as great as 4,722 Hours).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My only problem with the ep was
    There was no way in hell some Caprice was going to catch a Charger in a race, especially if that Charger was built to race. It may have not had the blower then, but if you're taking fools money, it built.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was very pleased to see the plot
    tie into Agent Carter with the Zero Matter.

Nice bit of inter-series continuity.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I was very pleased to see the plot
    tie into Agent Carter with the Zero Matter.

Nice bit of inter-series continuity.

It also kind of just makes me sad Agent Carter was cancelled though. :(

• Options
    It's so odd hearing her American Accent...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJqg6J4JeLg

• Options
    mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    so, last ep,

I'm guessing the Darkhold was straight up teaching them magic, but couching it in science so they could understand it. So they're basically learning wizardy, but they think they're learning science. This is why the science got increasingly sketchy and impossible as the project progressed.

Also, I just had a thought
    Maybe Eli is this universe's Molecule Man?

Regarding the second spoiler:
    This was my first thought too, at least I'm not alone in my crazy theories

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

What a step down from Agent Carter, no wonder she wants Marvel to make a Peggy movie.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    So, assuming that
    the Samaritan was Johnny Blaze, I wonder if he passed his own spirit of vengeance on to Robbie, or instilled a completely different spirit into him.

Also the flameoff effects were cool. It's like someone's reading the forums and going 'shit, these guys want to see him change back. Get on it!'
    They did also make a goose reference in the same episode. Glorious edict reference?

• Options

What a step down from Agent Carter, no wonder she wants Marvel to make a Peggy movie.

I know. Go from strong, asskicking agent to coked out lawyer. We'll have her voicing Agent Carter for one of Disney XD's cartoons series at least.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    So, assuming that

They did also make a goose reference in the same episode. Glorious edict reference?

Being a member of these formers certainly added a unique and hilarious subtext to that exchange.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    so, last ep,

As thor said about asgard when its advanced enough magic and tech can be one and the same thing.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    so, last ep,

As thor said about asgard when its advanced enough magic and tech can be one and the same thing.

this is what I've been thinking about the entire time with this situation

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    So after all this, I'd hope that Director Mace would lay out some pretty harsh discipline and/or firings to Coulson and crew. They keep blatantly disobeying orders and in this case directly lying to him and working against him. I'm not saying they're wrong to do it from their point of view, but if this guy is actually the director, there's no way in hell he should be standing for it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder how much his reaction
    was genuine anger that they'd screwed him, and how much was him complying with the senator blackmailing him. I don't really get where sending Simmons away fit with either of those scenarios

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    was genuine anger that they'd screwed him, and how much was him complying with the senator blackmailing him. I don't really get where sending Simmons away fit with either of those scenarios
    Simmons might be treating the Senators brother who is still in an coccoon.

Otherwise, I thnk Mace my have had her "disappeared" because she knew he was lying.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Otherwise, I thnk Mace my have had her "disappeared" because she knew he was lying.
    I still think Mace is actually a good guy. Or at least that he has best intentions. So hopefully not option two. That would be kinda lame.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

I still think Mace is actually a good guy. Or at least that he has best intentions. So hopefully not option two. That would be kinda lame.

Re:Simmons
    The foreshadowing with Simmons last episode bringing up her undercover work would lead me to assume they are going to have her act like a double agent on/for the Senator.

This discussion has been closed.