As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Validation Syndrome

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think this was a planned marketing thing. I certainly think that it was something that some people capitalized on very quickly though.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    When sales of Coke went up after the New Coke debacle, people said that the whole thing was a ploy to get the (slightly altered) classic coke recipe past audiences who would compare it to New Coke and not notice the change.

The executive response is simply "we're not that smart"

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I'm not talking about Koei's decision not to localize; that decision was actually made months ago. I'm talking about PlayAsia's tweets from a couple weeks ago blaming everything on SJWs and pointing out that even without a localization, people could still import it through them. They manufactured outrage and now are dropping the price and giving a $5 off coupon with the code "SHAREJOYWEALTH". It's pretty obvious they are wringing the SJW hate for all it is worth.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Eurgh, that's pretty gross.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Thro wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Thro wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Please, let's have an argument about games journalism. Alternatively, let's do anything else but that.

Yeah I came here to see people complaining about how Jerry keeps misusing the term 'literally'.

They are not literal eggshells you hack. Now step around my figurative strict word definition eggshell as you write.

Literally no longer means just that. Now it can also mean "figuratively". So once again, readers will have to rely on context to discern meaning. Even without the sanction of a publishing company, using the term "literally" for hyperbole is an acceptable thing. A person writing in a stylized way for comedic effect might reasonably choose to do this.

I am prepared to be on the wrong side of history then. This is the figurative hill I will die on.

You've got stiff competition on the other side of that hill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xjka07o1-0

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Sigh. Looks like a need a new place to import from.

• Options
    Djiem wrote: »

Koei has been putting a bunch of non-English titles on Steam. With digital distribution, localization is now more a matter of translation than distribution on the PC. Hopefully, with the increased storage capacities and online marketplaces, it will soon be that way for consoles as well.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options

Koei has been putting a bunch of non-English titles on Steam. With digital distribution, localization is now more a matter of translation than distribution on the PC. Hopefully, with the increased storage capacities and online marketplaces, it will soon be that way for consoles as well.

Oh no, I don't want DoAX3, I meant I can't import stuff from Play-Asia anymore after the shit they pulled. Not just games, but various physical objects.

• Options

Oh no, I don't want DoAX3, I meant I can't import stuff from Play-Asia anymore after the shit they pulled. Not just games, but various physical objects.

I was just using Koei as an example because they were the first ones I noticed doing it. Didn't mean DOAx specifically, just noting a trend that I hope becomes wider spread among other platforms and publishers.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

I've imported stuff from YesAsia. AmiAmi is also supposed to be pretty good.
    I'm not talking about Koei's decision not to localize; that decision was actually made months ago. I'm talking about PlayAsia's tweets from a couple weeks ago blaming everything on SJWs and pointing out that even without a localization, people could still import it through them. They manufactured outrage and now are dropping the price and giving a $5 off coupon with the code "SHAREJOYWEALTH". It's pretty obvious they are wringing the SJW hate for all it is worth.

Well, dropping the price due to massive support doesn't make any sense, as basic economic principles dictate that increased demand doesn't lead to decreased prices. Them dropping the price indicates that it didn't work as well as they hoped and are trying to save face. Their site traffic seems to confirm this, as their increase amounts to, at best, a dead cat bounce.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    They got lots of social media support sure, but that doesn't really translate into sales

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    wolvenworkswolvenworks Crash Bash Champion JakartaRegistered User new member
    Funny how a lot of Indonesians still think games won't make you money, when most of them are spending mad bucks on Candy Crush

Z128329.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Superufo is legit. Decent enough selection and the shipping prices are dirt. (not to mention the cheapest place you'll ever get a 64GB Vita memory card)

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    Honestly, the only time I really care is when legislators decide that video games aren't like other forms of expression and thus not afforded the same protections. Beyond that, couldn't care less that other industries look down upon video games.

• Options
    GaryPotterGaryPotter Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    It's pretty obvious they are wringing the SJW hate for all it is worth.

And who can blame them? They sensed an opportunity and went with it and it payed dividends. I'm sure the wrath of all those middle-aged former game journos clacking away about how "problematic" that one little tweet was will bring them down any day now though. I for one am shaking in my boots.

Also, I don't believe for a second anyone who says they'll stop shopping at Play-Asia for this ever actually did so.

GaryPotter on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    GaryPotter wrote: »

And who can blame them? They sensed an opportunity and went with it and it payed dividends. I'm sure the wrath of all those middle-aged former game journos clacking away about how "problematic" that one little tweet was will bring them down any day now though. I for one am shaking in my boots.

Also, I don't believe for a second anyone who says they'll stop shopping at Play-Asia for this ever actually did so.

I can blame them. I'm doing it right now. I've spent hundreds at Play-Asia, and now I won't anymore. But feel free to keep assuming stuff and being wrong about it.

Djiem on
  • Options
    master_swordmaster_sword Registered User regular
    If you are that concerned about the use of the term "SJW" then chances are that you are an SJW rather than someone legitimately interested in social "justice."

I hope you enjoy beta orbiting overweight women with pink hair, because even feminist women hate male feminists.

• Options
    If you are that concerned about the use of the term "SJW" then chances are that you are an SJW rather than someone legitimately interested in social "justice."

I hope you enjoy beta orbiting overweight women with pink hair, because even feminist women hate male feminists.

I... what?

• Options
    It means that your umbrage taking of the term SJW signals that your interest is more about social justice as a facet of your personal identity than your interest in the issues. Ergo, you saw it as an attack on yourself.

The second part is more of a warning as to what lies in your future. I've seen dozens of guys go down the same path, thinking that white knighting is what will put them in the good graces of women. Spoiler, it won't.

• Options
    The second part is more of a warning as to what lies in your future. I've seen dozens of guys go down the same path, thinking that white knighting is what will put them in the good graces of women. Spoiler, it won't.

You mean I'm not in the good graces of my wife?

fuck!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    cB557 was warned for this.
    Anyone wanna take bets as to whether this guy actually believes this stuff or if he's just trolling?

Tube on
  • Options
    You act as if marriage prevents someone from seeking sex outside the relationship and guaranteeing sex within it. I'm loathe to use this terminology, but the the beta bucks/alpha fucks dynamic is pretty real. Getting married as a beta is actually one of the worst things you can do. My advice? If she starts talking about opening up the marriage, go ahead and bail.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    I've seen dozens of guys go down the same path, thinking that white knighting is what will put them in the good graces of women. Spoiler, it won't.

This may come as an apocalyptic surprise to you, and may also directly contradict your bizarre worldview

but sometimes men care about how women feel and sometimes men attempt to treat women well without any hidden agenda of expected sexual favors.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I rarely find that to be the case with SJW's and male feminists. It isn't that hard to see what they are doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKK9dIQSehM

master_sword on
  • Options

I... what?

I guess it means you're a BETA ORBITER. I think that means you need to play Kerbal Space Program? I'm not sure.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015

Hello, feminist woman here. I do not hate feminist men. You'd be amazed at how appealing "treats you as a fellow human being" is in both friends and lovers, while how off-putting "considers you a token to be won or lost via game-like stratagems" is.

Of course I dye my hair and am overweight, so I don't count as a woman I guess?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Hello, feminist woman here. I do not hate feminist men. You'd be amazed at how appealing "treats you as a fellow human being" is in both friends and lovers, while how off-putting "considers you a token to be won or lost via game-like stratagems" is.

Of course I dye my hair and am overweight, so I don't count as a woman I guess?

Contrary to belief of those within certain ideologies, being a feminist isn't a requirement to treat women respectfully, just like a belief in god is not required to be a decent person.

And yeah, I'm sure feminists appreciate male feminists in the way that diners appreciate waiters. But lets be real here, you aren't fucking those self depreciating dudes. You're fucking the guy that doesn't put up with your shit and calls you out when you act like a cunt.

Sorry if I insulted you with my generalization though. But to be honest... I kinda had it pegged.

• Options
    Glorious.

• Options
    You act as if marriage prevents someone from seeking sex outside the relationship and guaranteeing sex within it. I'm loathe to use this terminology, but the the beta bucks/alpha fucks dynamic is pretty real. Getting married as a beta is actually one of the worst things you can do. My advice? If she starts talking about opening up the marriage, go ahead and bail.

So a little realtalk here

When you use terminology like "alpha / beta" and other redpill / MRA nonsense

not only does it basically immediately mean everyone is going to ignore whatever nonsense comes out dribbling out of your mouth next

it also indicates you've subscribed to a pretty fucking poisonous worldview.

Here I am, saying "sometimes men like to treat women well and maybe they don't expect a blowjob in return?"

and you're not having it. This idea is foreign to you. Male feminists are obviously only interested in sex..... because..... jet fuel can't melt steel beams?

This is worrying, because the underlying philosophy to this kind of bullshit is that women exist only as sexual objects for men, and that men are incapable of any altruistic behavior because they are dominated by a pathetic primal lust. The core of this redpill garbage is that women are only useful as penis receptacles and men are defined in worth by who or what they fuck and are incapable of anything more than trying to fuck everything. It demeans men and women together.

• Options
    edited December 2015

not only does it basically immediately mean everyone is going to ignore whatever nonsense comes out dribbling out of your mouth next

Here I am, saying "sometimes men like to treat women well and maybe they don't expect a blowjob in return?"

and you're not having it. This idea is foreign to you. Male feminists are obviously only interested in sex..... because..... jet fuel can't melt steel beams?

This is worrying, because the underlying philosophy to this kind of bullshit is that women exist only as sexual objects for men, and that men are incapable of any altruistic behavior because they are dominated by a pathetic primal lust. The core of this redpill garbage is that women are only useful as penis receptacles and men are defined in worth by who or what they fuck and are incapable of anything more than trying to fuck everything. It demeans men and women together.

This is exacerbated by how he whined that Cambiata wasn't fucking "those dudes". Because sex is really all that matters, and all that she's good for, I guess?

Djiem on
  • Options

This is exacerbated by how he whined that Cambiata wasn't fucking "those dudes". Because that's really all that matters, and all that she's good for, I guess?

Yes, you pretty much hit it on the nose here.

• Options

Since when do MRAs or redpillers have a monopoly on terminology? The alpha/beta dynamic has been talked about for ages, mate.

I do in fact believe that there can be legit male feminists, it's just really fuckin' unlikely. The fact that you're getting so upset about it is signalling that I've touched a nerve. I will agree that redpillers have some some toxic worldviews, but no more so than your average mainstream feminist. The rest seems to be projection on your part.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    And yeah, I'm sure feminists appreciate male feminists in the way that diners appreciate waiters. But lets be real here, you aren't fucking those self depreciating dudes. You're fucking the guy that doesn't put up with your shit and calls you out when you act like a cunt.

This is an amazing window into your honestly tragic worldview.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I will agree that redpillers have some some toxic worldviews
    You're fucking the guy that doesn't put up with your shit and calls you out when you act like a cunt.

Yeah redpillers have some toxic worldviews, and you're here to remind us all that you'll spew them at the drop of a hat.

• Options

It's a window into my lived experience. But then I tend to follow the Patrice O'Neal style and usually pursue aggressive women, and most feminists I've met tend to be aggressive women. A well timed "shut the fuck up" can open many a pair of legs.

• Options
    I will agree that redpillers have some some toxic worldviews
    You're fucking the guy that doesn't put up with your shit and calls you out when you act like a cunt.

Yeah redpillers have some toxic worldviews, and you're here to remind us all that you'll spew them at the drop of a hat.

That wisdom is hardly exclusive to redpillers. If you are honestly telling me that you allow women to run roughshod over you, then I am honestly telling you that you will never have one of them touch your penis.

• Options

It's a window into my lived experience. But then I tend to follow the Patrice O'Neal style and usually pursue aggressive women, and most feminists I've met tend to be aggressive women. A well timed "shut the fuck up" can open many a pair of legs.

I find the Venn Diagram for "guys who are really seriously invested in anime girl titty videogames" and "guys who are super sexy and get laid all the time" is just one big circle.

• Options

Between this and the "advice" against marriage as a beta, I guess you're right in saying this alpha/beta nonsense isn't used exclusively by redpillers and MRAs.

It's also used by PUAs.

• Options
    GaryPotter wrote: »

Did it pay dividends? I haven't seen anything substantial from this, aside from the $12 price cut, that was totally due to the game selling so well.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    You know you don't have to engage with these people right?