As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Announced - The Real War begins in August

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The Archon ruler turned up on a VIP mission, that got immensely hectic with an andromedon and 2 mutons right off the bat. This was going to be the end for certain, but wait.

WHAT'S THIS.

She did it again. First shot, executed the Archon King without him even getting a turn. This means, in an unbelievable series of numbers, that this one sniper has successfully rolled the 10% execute chance on their first shot against a ruler every single time. She's executed the Viper, Berserker and Archon kings without me even getting to see them have a single turn.

All hail the repeater! ALL HAIL CLAIRE, DESTROYER OF MONARCHS.

Old "Stoneface" Claire.

Really, though. It wasn't execution. You execute a human being. You slaughter an animal.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The Archon ruler turned up on a VIP mission, that got immensely hectic with an andromedon and 2 mutons right off the bat. This was going to be the end for certain, but wait.

WHAT'S THIS.

She did it again. First shot, executed the Archon King without him even getting a turn. This means, in an unbelievable series of numbers, that this one sniper has successfully rolled the 10% execute chance on their first shot against a ruler every single time. She's executed the Viper, Berserker and Archon kings without me even getting to see them have a single turn.

All hail the repeater! ALL HAIL CLAIRE, DESTROYER OF MONARCHS.

She's in your squad pool, right? You've saved her for all future games?

Even better, she's one of the first soldiers I actually created for the character pool to begin with.

I expect the next game I play to end in 5 seconds as every rookie misses and someone chucks a grenade at an ally.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Maaaan. The mec punch is so dissapointing after the boosh in EW. Cant even kool-aid man my way through a wall.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Maaaan. The mec punch is so dissapointing after the boosh in EW. Cant even kool-aid man my way through a wall.

Especially after a few playthroughs. Get 40 damage punchwrecked!

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ah, finally finished that stupid challenge run. Commander, iron man, no squad size upgrades. If a rookie hadn't caught the wrong side of the Archon King's spear on an Avenger defence, I'd have had no deaths as well. But with the squad size part out of the way, that should be doable in a future run.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Ah, finally finished that stupid challenge run. Commander, iron man, no squad size upgrades. If a rookie hadn't caught the wrong side of the Archon King's spear on an Avenger defence, I'd have had no deaths as well. But with the squad size part out of the way, that should be doable in a future run.

What about Who Needs Tygan?

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Uuuugh. That achievement makes me sad. I'm assuming the only way to do it, outside of obscene luck, is to train up a full squad of psychics.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Uuuugh. That achievement makes me sad. I'm assuming the only way to do it, outside of obscene luck, is to train up a full squad of psychics.

That is correct.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular

That's the best way to do it, but it's also not difficulty-specific, so 'do it on the lowest difficulty' is also an option.

Realistically if you're just trying to check the box you probably wanna do both of those things so it goes faster

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I realise I'm decades behind most of you guys, but I just realised you can mind control civilians and use them to scout for you in Xcom Apocalypse. Ok it's not as much fun as having a Skeletoid throw you his disruptor shield, prime his vortex mine and blow himself and comrades to oblivion, but still pretty nifty.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Has Firaxis discussed patching in gamepad controls (beyond the Steam controller) and a UI appropriate to playing on a TV to the PC version?

I am really out of the loop since I put the game on hold when it ran terrible on my PC.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Has Firaxis discussed patching in gamepad controls (beyond the Steam controller) and a UI appropriate to playing on a TV to the PC version?

I am really out of the loop since I put the game on hold when it ran terrible on my PC.

As far as I know, nothing has been said about the console version since the initial announcement of a date.

• Options
    I am going to hope Firaxis does the right thing and shows some more love to what was a fairly mediocre release on a technical level.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »

That's the best way to do it, but it's also not difficulty-specific, so 'do it on the lowest difficulty' is also an option.

Realistically if you're just trying to check the box you probably wanna do both of those things so it goes faster

And even then, it's still a fucking slog.

I really like XCOM 2. It's a great game, to the point where losing a campaign after substantial investment made me go "Alright. Going to use what I know for round 2." as opposed to ragequitting. And, for one playthrough, the last mission is fine. It's a challenge, it offers a lot of new and exciting things, etc, etc. But man. It killed my replay urge stone dead.

Like, yeah. Last mission in the first one is piss easy. It's a victory lap, half an hour celebrating how badass you've gotten. XCOM 2's final mission is more of a challenge, and that's cool. But it's also, what, a hour to get to the last room, and that part's easy on a replay, and then you get the fuck you room.

Depending on luck, it can be anything from relatively painless to a massive dick move as the teleporting bosses keep dodging away as you have to deal with infinite reinforcements. And having the whole game come to that slow mess again after so many hours to get to the ending...

Doesn't fill my heart with joy, you know?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I really like XCOM 2. It's a great game, to the point where losing a campaign after substantial investment made me go "Alright. Going to use what I know for round 2." as opposed to ragequitting. And, for one playthrough, the last mission is fine. It's a challenge, it offers a lot of new and exciting things, etc, etc. But man. It killed my replay urge stone dead.

Like, yeah. Last mission in the first one is piss easy. It's a victory lap, half an hour celebrating how badass you've gotten. XCOM 2's final mission is more of a challenge, and that's cool. But it's also, what, a hour to get to the last room, and that part's easy on a replay, and then you get the fuck you room.

Depending on luck, it can be anything from relatively painless to a massive dick move as the teleporting bosses keep dodging away as you have to deal with infinite reinforcements. And having the whole game come to that slow mess again after so many hours to get to the ending...

Man I really started enjoying the last mission after I realized that it is all about planning and resource conservation in a way that no other mission is long enough to be. You have to be as fresh and ready for Xfuckery when you get to the final room as you are the minute you touch down for a retribution mission. That's XCOM, baby!

Although I admit that Grenadiers are kinda pointless in that mission if you have Psi Ops.

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Yep.

I started a new campaign recently because I hadn't played since the DLC released.

Rolled through, maxed out a SPARK, killed all three rulers, and hit the point where I need to decide if I want to do the avatar autopsy or stall until I have plasma+better psi ops, and...completely lost the will to continue playing, because I've done all the new stuff and all that's left is the same old slog to the end.

I'm honestly pretty underwhelmed with the DLC in general - SPARKs are neat but not incredibly game-changing, the ruler DLC seems poorly implemented, and the ruler DLC gear in particular feels more like mod-quality content than paid DLC (here's a selection of random upgraded equipment up front, and some more you can unlock later! It's a pretty incoherent assortment of stuff that mostly doesn't play that well with the abilities etc that populate the rest of the game but it's nominally better than the stock equipment so you're gonna use it all the time!). I was hoping for a lot more when I picked up the DLC pack and I wish they'd just done a full expansion a la Enemy Within.

• Options
    I was hoping for a lot more when I picked up the DLC pack and I wish they'd just done a full expansion a la Enemy Within.

They are still probably making an expansion. I am hoping for an announcement sometime after the console release.

• Options
    Bumped for console release next week.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was hoping for a lot more when I picked up the DLC pack and I wish they'd just done a full expansion a la Enemy Within.

They are still probably making an expansion. I am hoping for an announcement sometime after the console release.

I mean Enemy Within didn't release until a year after Enemy Unknown.

Rulers and Spark were closer to Slingshot content-wise anyway so I don't see a full expansion being unlikely.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I mean Enemy Within didn't release until a year after Enemy Unknown.

Rulers and Spark were closer to Slingshot content-wise anyway so I don't see a full expansion being unlikely.

As much (somewhat deserved) guff that Alien Hunters and Shen's Last Gift recieved, they did show that Firaxis had learned that we don't want DLC that is just ststic mission packs; we want things that can spice up the random factors in a campaign.

Maybe the rulers were a little too spicy, but they at least baked in ways to manage the content.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Console release trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=3Gd7_Quyza0

The narrator said it was the first of a three part series. Wonder what the other videos are going to be about.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Saw it for download on PSN this morning before work.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah started playing it today. Overall it runs decent but load times can be long sometimes.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah started playing it today. Overall it runs decent but load times can be long sometimes.

Same as it ever was.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Is it supposed to take forever to install from the disk?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Oh this is out?

I bought it for PC on release but it ran terribly on my MacBook Pro. This might be the second chance for me and XCOM 2.

How is the PS4 port?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Had to deal with a random crash every now and then. Thankfully the game autosaves a lot.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Hopefully Digital Foundry will do an analysis on the port.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Having never played the PC version I finally got this on Xbox one. My god my eyes are watering it's so good, the opening makes a damn good first impression.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Having never played the PC version I finally got this on Xbox one. My god my eyes are watering it's so good, the opening makes a damn good first impression.

Xcom 2 is both unique and amazing.

I can only hope more games like it will come out in the future.

• Options
    I'm not loving the heavy reliance on timed missions; which kinda flies in the face of the (usually) "start in concealment" element, since limited time forces the player to rush and make bad/dangerous choices. I was also pretty cheesed to lose a promising Sharpshooter because the Skyranger pilot refused to wait above a fully-secured AO for the three extra seconds required to pick up the soldier who was one tile short of the Evac point.

Hacking feels a bit too high-risk, at least at this early stage.

But otherwise I like what they've done so far. The narrative feels stronger and more coherent, without getting in the way. The way they open up and introduce the new mechanics over the course of the first couple of months is pretty good, too. I like the re-tooled classes, too.

I have mixed feeling about ADVENT. I like that they are (super-early spoiler)
    mutants
    but I would have actually liked to face off against regular, true believers as early enemies (who would later be replaced by troopers as the Resistance picks up steam). It would have been cool to drive home that you really are on the outside.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Every move and decision I make feels like the wrong one. That's normal for XCOM, right?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Every move and decision I make feels like the wrong one. That's normal for XCOM, right?
    That is, indeed, X-COM, baby.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Only did the first mission so far.

You have no idea how glad I was to see that the first skill for a sniper was squad vision.

SO GLAD!

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Well then you'll be happier to know that all snipers get Squad Sight from the get-go.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    I am really hoping the controller scheme now comes to PC with the console release.

Do the console versions come with Shen's Last Gift and the Alien Rulers?

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Just got the console version. Played a bit on PC, but it didn't remotely feel the same, and I didn't like the smaller screen.

The console control scheme is SO much better than the mouse and keyboard setup, it's not even funny.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well then you'll be happier to know that all snipers get Squad Sight from the get-go.

Less happy to know that squad sight is not nealry as good as it used to be since you can't overwatch with it and since being stationary is much less desirable in the majority of missions.

In the end end you will probably only use snipers for a few mission types unless you decide to go with the stealth ranger path.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I am really hoping the controller scheme now comes to PC with the console release.

The deluxe edition has everything. Otherwise it's all separate. I sprung for the deluxe since it was only $15 more.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Agreed on the first point.

You need to buy the DLC, either through deluxe version or buying it directly.

This discussion has been closed.