Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The key to religious victory is to get a little lucky with the AIs who found religions. If they're close to you stamp that shit out before they get the infrastructure to buy apostles every turn and what not. I managed one on emperor because three of the four AI religions were literally right next door to me and I knocked out the holy cities very early on.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Also, besides the victory condition, is there any benefit at all to spreading your religion? I know there are a couple of faith options that give you bonuses the more population or cities following that religion there are, but if you don't select one of them then there's no point to spreading? Other than claiming the victory condition or preventing someone else from doing so?

You do know that you can pop Apostles to add additional beliefs to your religion, up to a maximum of four, right?

A fully customized religion will have one belief of each type, so you can't not select a founder belief (the type that rewards you for spreading) unless you deliberately choose not to complete your religion.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The only actual religious victory (non 1v1 against kongo) I got was from Poland, who seems like a pretty okay civ. I got there with a mix of theocracy based war economy (which is amazing, holy shit), and then religious spread at the end. Poland's culture bombing actually came in handy because taking a city, converted it with inquisition and missionaries, then bombing was pretty effective to spreading the religion. I could have just taken a little bit longer for a domination victory (there were two civs i was at peace with that i converted early). If you go that route, prioritize attacking civs that founded a religion.

As for poland, the early wildcard slot is amazing, and the UU knight is pretty good, (although i could also build knights?). Culture bombing was a little disappointing, although i did use it at the end to secure a religious victory. On paper culture bomb and pushing units sounds a lot more fun than they actually were. In fact sometimes the pushback would put my unit in an unfavorable position.

I think Religious victory is the weakest part of this game, and i think Poland the civ suffers a bit because of it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, excluding the AI in general and 1 unit per tile, the diplomacy system is the weakest part.

I think they went too far trying to make every single aspect "gamey". Culture victories are "gamey" making you send out archaeologists on Indiana Jones hunts for artifacts which must be slotted in museums via category (bwuh?). Religion is "gamey" sending around preachers who clog up the roads and shoot lightning at each other (bwuh? What is this, Age of Empires?). Diplomacy is "gamey" in that leaders have 2 arbitrary requirements to like you and will hate you if you don't follow them and oh yeah one of them is secret until reach a certain friendly status with them in which case you won't need to know their secret objective because they already like you.

(Also they will hate you no matter what due to broken warmonger mechanic. My favorite is the AI declaring war on you for declaring war against one of their current war enemies. It's like Britain declaring war on the U.S. Dec 9, 1942).

How exactly does passive religion spread work? Like the numbers, rates, and ranges.

MrBody on
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Couldn't say the numbers, but any time I go passive or just 1 holy site I grab the Scripture belief as soon as possible, as well as make Printing Press a priority. I have had no problem spreading my religion fairly early this way, I think you might be surprised at how well this works and how well it withstands enemy religious pressure.

• Options
    What does "culture bombing" refer to in this game? I know in Civ 4 it meant popping a great artist on a border city.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    It's something unique to Poland in VI. Their encampment districts and forts steal surrounding tiles and add it to Poland's territory.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    What was the nerf to Industrial Districts? Also is there a good guide on some basic strategy? I'm about to Science Victory my first game but I'm only playing on Prince difficulty like a total noob. I don't like Civ enough to get to Deity or anything but I would like to improve a bit.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Yeah, excluding the AI in general and 1 unit per tile, the diplomacy system is the weakest part.

I think they went too far trying to make every single aspect "gamey". Culture victories are "gamey" making you send out archaeologists on Indiana Jones hunts for artifacts which must be slotted in museums via category (bwuh?). Religion is "gamey" sending around preachers who clog up the roads and shoot lightning at each other (bwuh? What is this, Age of Empires?). Diplomacy is "gamey" in that leaders have 2 arbitrary requirements to like you and will hate you if you don't follow them and oh yeah one of them is secret until reach a certain friendly status with them in which case you won't need to know their secret objective because they already like you.

(Also they will hate you no matter what due to broken warmonger mechanic. My favorite is the AI declaring war on you for declaring war against one of their current war enemies. It's like Britain declaring war on the U.S. Dec 9, 1942).

How exactly does passive religion spread work? Like the numbers, rates, and ranges.

I was a big defender of the ai diplomacy in civ5, but civ6 does seem to be a bit more insane. Like Brazil and aztecs have back and forth wars for years, Brazil declares on me so I take their capital because it borders me, 20 turns later they both denounce and dow me together. I know they are the aztecs, but I don't border them, just disabled their main rival and left them with 3 prime cities to take over next to their lands that I don't care about, so why all the sudden switch sides when I am ahead in tech and at parity militarily? And of course thats hardly the only issue I have had. Civ 5 ai at least seemed like it was just playing to win.

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    What was the nerf to Industrial Districts? Also is there a good guide on some basic strategy? I'm about to Science Victory my first game but I'm only playing on Prince difficulty like a total noob. I don't like Civ enough to get to Deity or anything but I would like to improve a bit.

Factories and Power Plants used to stack. So with six industrial zones close enough to a city to give the bonus you could make absurd industrial powerhouse cities. Which was more fun and I'm bummed about the nerf.

Major strategy tips:

1) Hills are your friends, they are better than base tiles in almost every way.
    2) Trade routes are your second friends, and therefore commercial districts are amazing.
    3) Ranged units absolutely wreck the AI, still.

• Options
    I tried Civ 5 again briefly and why the fuck did we ever put up with every city being a fucking tank? Ugh, gross.

• Options
    Is building that one wonder the only way to get the martyr trait?

• Options
    No, it's pretty rare though. The most consistent way is to build the wonder or befriend whichever religious city state lets you pick any promotion. Yerevan?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    This is why I never choose anything that boosts relics. They're so unreliable to obtain without getting that city state that lets you choose early on.

Artifacts are definitely the way to go for tourism, and thankfully terracotta army is easily obtained in the mid game for cheap cause the AI almost never cares about building it.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm playing a game right now with the city state that lets you choose apostle promotions. Martyr is not available.

As far as I can tell, the only way to get it is from that St. Mon whatever wonder.

My mistake, I just had to scroll all the way down.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'm playing a game right now with the city state that lets you choose apostle promotions. Martyr is not available.

As far as I can tell, the only way to get it is from that St. Mon whatever wonder.

Martyr won't be available if your Apostle already has it. Did you already build the wonder?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gah Im losing a game to America's religion spam. They conquered the whole of Spain centuries ago and Arabia is gimped, so the only thing withholding their victory is a few city states and 2 viking cities. I have to wage a war on them without a logical casus belli, which annoys me on a principal level.

There should be far more consequences to sending 20 religious units across someone's border.

• Options
    Geez the disparity between apostle promotions.

"Convert barbarians" is absolute bottom of the barrel. Worthless.

There is zero reason to ever take "+3 spreads the first time you visit a natural wonder" over "triple conversion" or "spreading eliminates other religions from city".

• Options
    There is zero reason to ever take "+3 spreads the first time you visit a natural wonder" over "triple conversion" or "spreading eliminates other religions from city".

+3 spreads is actually better if you need to convert a lot of low population cities instead of just a few high population ones.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Heh, you're only supposed to know who a spy is working for if they're caught.

But you know every single time because ops go off while it's processing the owning civ's turn :P

How does artifact placement work? Do archaeologists only place artifacts they find in the city that built them? So they can't dig up any more when their home city is full? I'm trying to complete sets but you need to be able to control the placement.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Once a museum is full (WHY) you can move them around to make the sets.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Alternatively, play England and laugh at having to work for theming bonuses

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Does anyone understand the math behind tourism? It's like 3 separate conversions and I don't understand any of them.

• Options
    It's something like every 100 culture you make makes a domestic tourist and every x tourism you generate with an opponent brings a tourist your way (where x depends on the number of players, I think?). If you have more foreign tourists than anyone has domestic tourists then you win. But there's modifiers for open borders and trade routes and what not.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Hi guys. I haven't played Civ seriously since Civ III. Should I go for Civ VI or Civ V. What are the differences?

I'm asking as I apparently picked up Civ V some time ago but forgot about it until now. I don't have time to get into both V and VI though.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Since you've got V and haven't played it, go for that. It's a good game. Just make sure you've got the expansions for it, they're pretty important.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Since you've got V and haven't played it, go for that. It's a good game. Just make sure you've got the expansions for it, they're pretty important.

Also download and use the enhanced UI, I can't play without it anymore.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/enhanced-user-interface.512263/

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Depends how you feel about stacks of doom. If you don't mind them, buy Civ IV. If you think they're a pox on gaming, go with Civ V.

Also if you like big giant empires, IV is preferable.

• Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Hmm. Ok, I'll give V whirl then. Thanks for the advice and links.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I never got the hate for stacks of doom. Their effectiveness was vastly overrated and only worked against the AI. Decent players could exploit the weaknesses they had.

Here's a good writeup on exploiting the inflexibility of stacks of doom in Civ 4.

Whatever the opinions on stacks though and the complaints about them, I don't think they were worth going the 1 UPT system :(

WHY DO RELIGIOUS UNITS STILL BLOCK MILITARY FROM OCCUPYING THE SAME SPACE????

That was a fix everyone wanted from day 1. That and the broken warmongering system are the top 2 fixes they need to get on.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I never got the hate for stacks of doom. Their effectiveness was vastly overrated and only worked against the AI. Decent players could exploit the weaknesses they had.

You seem to understand the hate for them quite well. In Civ4 you could cripple an entire nation with 2 cavalry units. Even in multiplayer, the sheer amount of hoops you had to go through to secure your borders in mp in that game...are something I simply hope to never see again. Its like that stupid micro managey barb dance you have to do for the first 50 turns, except all bloody game long and at a global scale. No thank you.

• Options
    The writeup shows how they secured their borders against multiple invading enemies.

Hoops and stupid micro mangey are definitely how I would describe the 1 UPT system though. It gets even more aggravating with these new movement point rules.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Got a weird game going on right now. First shot at Emperor difficulty.

There was one civ that was actually ahead in tech and had the moon landing launched right when I just finished rocketry. I launched an invasion across the sea to their continent, which ended up not seeming necessary because I could just use a spy to sabotage their spaceport and it's crazy how long those take to rebuild. He was almost a full generation ahead of me in military tech: modern armor and mechanized infantry against my regular armor and infantry but his mismanagement let me beat his main force. The AI is just so dumb though with military, almost never going for easy kills and sometimes not even opening fire with ranged. On my way to bulldozing that civ.

Vikings were an annoying joke most of the game. Always 2 full generations behind everyone else. For some reason they loved me though, and it was the only time in any of my games relations got good enough to declare friendship and establish an alliance. Embassies and declaring friendship seem really pointless; they're there to increase relations, but your relations have to already be super high to pull them off.

So I have an alliance with the Vikings. I declare a Holy War against the Greeks who had previously declared war on me. Vikings instantly hate me, and after capturing 4 Greek cities I see that I have a -80(!!!!!) warmongering penalty with the Vikings. They cancel the alliance and declare war on me...so they can charge all their crossbowmen and berserkers into infantry, tanks, and helicopters.

Right now it's seeming like I have my choice between every possible victory type (maybe not culture, I still have no idea what numbers you need for that). I'm starting to think it's impossible to lose to the AI beyond a certain point. Feels like if they haven't beat you by the Renaissance era, then they never will. Ancient era warrior rush is the only time they are threatening. Classical era they might have a shot at you with enough of a lead. Anything beyond that forget it.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I used to love me some stacks of doom but eventually they broke me, unit micro is 10x more maneagable now and the tactical decisions are on par or greater imo, he only covers the surface of what you needed to do to optimize. Just wait till you start splitting and unsplitting every stack every other turn to take adv of concentrated fire on attack and fortitude on defense. That game was complex for sure, but filled with so many traps and false paths.

Stacks of doom was by far the most exploited mechanic vs AI on deity and the most tedious thing to work around for mp. People talk how bad AI is in six but seem to forget how full of holes 4 was. There was a nice sweet spot for those playing the Sid route but they could never come close to making it work for the min maxers.

That being said I think they took it too far and needed to scale back the amount of civilian units and other "board" cloggers or change some of the unit type stacking rules, especially for other player's units. I simply never want to go back to roaming Cav voltron swarms running around all over the damn place, that was the worst thing ever.

Beefers on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Won a Culture/Tourism victory as Kongo this weekend. It was nice not having to worry about rushing that early GP. Kongo gets massive bonus from relecs. I kind of abuse the AI with this by making deals for their relics for GPT than going to war so I don't have to pay them.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I turn off Religious Victory for all of my games. Just not interested in that bullshit and having to deal with Missionary spam from shitty AI. It's super tedious, and trying to win a Religious Victory yourself is even more tedious.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I turn off Religious Victory for all of my games. Just not interested in that bullshit and having to deal with Missionary spam from shitty AI. It's super tedious, and trying to win a Religious Victory yourself is even more tedious.

I've concluded that I generally like how Religion is handled in 6 except for the Religious Victory aspect of it. Customizing your own bonuses is fun, unit spam is not.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular

Does that turn off religion completely? Or is it that the AI doesn't bother spreading religion when they can't use it to win?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    there really need to be more levers for controlling religion; spamming missionaries is so irritating. I also kinda feel like religion should just be a component of cultural victory as opposed to its own thing, though that was kinda simplistically done in civ5

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Geez the disparity between apostle promotions.

"Convert barbarians" is absolute bottom of the barrel. Worthless.

Convert Barbarians is great if you are having trouble with keeping your cities happy. Especially due to war weariness. When those barbarian rebels pop up just convert em and send em to the front line.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!