Options

[ARK: Survival Evolved] New Server at end of August

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Mod version mismatch popping up for me.

That map looks gorgeous. Then, I think all the ark maps look gorgeous.

• Options
    Mod version mismatch popping up for me.

That map looks gorgeous. Then, I think all the ark maps look gorgeous.

Hmm... nothing else updated, I can log in. Might want to make sure your game updated your mods.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Huh. I've got Ark set to update on high priority and other than structures plus nothing has updated today and that was earlier this afternoon. I don't know what's up.

Edit: My game version is showing 248.51, server is 248.5, that wouldn't be it, would it? Except it's telling me it's a mod so yeah I'll keep digging.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Ok, had to verify game cache. Something got jacked up. All good now. Sorry I scared everyone off!

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    We had one of our community members graciously donate some server time to us through his job, and we're going to spin up a third server to try out Thieves Island.

It's about the size of the Island, but less land overall. However, it does have 4-5 floating islands, and a big underground area. If I had to describe it (from my spectator mode), it's really "dense". There's a ton of cool features and amazing landcapes.

Since it is on the smaller side and has a lot of water, we're going to try a "no flyers" mode on it first. We'll use admin magic and the Stargate mod to set up ground teleports hidden about to get up to the floating islands, but we want to see how important we can make rafts and land dinos again. Even with quetzals removed from SE, a few of our regular players have lamented a bit about how much more fun SE was when we were stuck on the ground and flying was a luxury...but once you get to the point where you're flying around everywhere on a fast argie or wyvern, the game feels over, basically.

• Options
    Hmmm it appears that the thing where large empty spaces (ie large structures) won't provide shelter is back.

• Options
    Oh I hadn't even tested that.

My big barn of a place I just separated into distinct chunks with greenhouse walls.

• Options
    Current Version: v249.0
    * ARK: Fear Evolved 2 (event)
    ** Re-Themed ARK, with shorter days / longer nights, colder temperature, scary creatures above-ground
    ** DodoWyvern & ZombieWyvern Army, DodoWyvern Mask Skin (Scorched Earth)
    ** DodoRex & ZombieDodo Army, DodoRex Mask Skin (Island & The Center)
    ** New cosmetic items: Vampire Eyes, Werewolf Mask, and Clown Mask
    ** Placeable "Carveable" Jackolanterns, Gravestones, & Scarecrows
    ** Return of Fear Evolved 1 Bone Dino Costumes
    ** New Bone Dino Costumes (Giga, Quetzal, Wyvern, Jerboa)
    ** Witch Hat Skin for Survivors & Dinos is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc31ilt0XHE

Servers are updating now.

• Options
    Also I have no idea where the DodoRex spawns on The Center, or what the deal is with the DodoWyvern.

• Options
    I don't think the halloween stuff is applying properly to the Center.

Haven't seen any scarecrows or pumpkins, etc... only change is the loot drops looking like candy corn.

• Options
    Soon (TM)

HY8dLyy.jpg?1

• Options
    Fun fact, Poison Wyvern attacks make a sort of 'cloud' effect that will absolutely murder the rider of a Wyvern.

I learned this lesson and almost lost my brand new wyvern as a result.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    I don't think the halloween stuff is applying properly to the Center.
    When I popped on briefly to feed critters I found Stolen Headstone... I just did a quick hunt some meat, gather berries and top of the trough though.

I'm thinking I may need to tear down my 1st house in the center and just move everything to the treehouse/ob so I have less caretaking to do...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    more Wyvern Facts (TM):
    • A Wyvern is basically a flying T-Rex with better stamina
    • Their turn radius is awful but they're fast
    • Deathworms will aggro them if you fly low to the ground
    • On mine, I lost about 1-2k HP per worm

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »

A T-Rex with a short to long range breath weapon that eats stamina but is killer for the target's HP.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »

A T-Rex with a short to long range breath weapon that eats stamina but is killer for the target's HP.

Yeah, with my lightning guy that was the best way to kill deathworms too. Over the course of the attack it does more damage than just biting.

Biting is better for aerial combat though, because hitting stuff from the air is hard.

-edit-

I'm still trying to figure out what happened with the poison wyvern.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Current Version: v249.1
    * Fixed Dino Witch Hat skin to be equipable again
    * Various fixes to ZombieWyverns
    * Fix to allow new Halloween items to be transferable in Obelisk terminal

Oh, something else we learned over the weekend. The setting we enabled to let anyone help with imprinting works, but there's a bug. It would seem that only the imprinted owner can successfully trigger the 'walking' interaction.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    About how long did those wyverns actually take by the way, Budd?

Oh, and I messaged you on Steam about possible fixes to our transfer woes.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I seen't it!
    KKhrbUr.jpg
    7FtpdxY.jpg

Apologies for the crappy angle, I was in a hurry to not get my ass chewed off by the thing. This was right around the corner from Funtime Riders OB base.

• Options
    Was it just hovering there? Or moving?

• Options
    Was it just hovering there? Or moving?

It was hovering and then started moving in my general direction, and then the sun came up and it poofed. I don't know if I'd aggro'd on it or not, it could have just been coincidence.

• Options
    An update on obelisk stuff. With Kalnaur's help we think we've narrowed the problem down to a change the server host made. I am filing a support ticket with them.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    So, heads up, related to the above post, the SE server will be down for about four hours today. Once that's done, assuming it works, I'll have a larger post about transferring and some changes I will be implementing in the near future.

-edit-

Looks like starting about now, 2pm PST. Either it will go down, or roughly the next four hours of progress might get lost. So be warned.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    About how long did those wyverns actually take by the way, Budd?

Oh, and I messaged you on Steam about possible fixes to our transfer woes.

Roughly 18 hours. Although after my final imprinting interaction, it was clear that he had enough food to last until adulthood, so at that point I passed out from exhaustion.

I should have timed it so both wyverns matched, I could have taken three hour naps in between.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Alright, so, first things first. I believe that obelisk transfers are currently fixed!

Second. You may have trouble finding our Scorched Earth server because its IP address changed. If you can't find it by searching, try this link in your browser:
    steam://connect/173.234.24.170:27027

A brief, non-technical summary of what happened... our host recently added options for clustered server hosting, which added the clusterID # to our startup commands which led to issues with the way the game allows, or disallows, transferring. Basically, the game thought we were a cluster when we were not.

They've removed that for now, and assured me they will eventually add a way for server owners to control that.

I also have some announcements.

TRANSFERRING

To make sure my position is clear, I don't care if people transfer stuff in from Single Player. If we were a PVP server, I WOULD care. But since we're PVE, if you bring in an overpowered dino, or a lot of items spawned in single player, the only person you are hurting is yourself. Specifically, you are robbing yourself of the experience and challenges of getting those things the way the game intends, and the emotional rewards of doing it that way.

I feel a bit sorry for the people that do this, but I do not consider it exploiting. Unless they then use these resources to intentionally negatively impact other players. At which point, if that happens, I will step in.

I bring this up because now that Cluster is an option, I would like to turn it on. This will have several side-effects.

1. In theory, the new gateway system will work for us, allowing players to transfer themselves between servers without loss of ownership, and while having gear equipped. This is a pretty new system and they are working out the bugs, but in the long run I think it's worth having.

Imagine a player who is normally only on the Scorched Earth server transferring themselves over to the Center to help tame a Titan. Then transferring home, without losing ownership of the stuff they have on the SE server. That sort of thing.

2. Due to the way the cluster system works, this will restrict us to transferring between servers in the cluster. Single player is not included in this group, and I cannot enable that in any way when the cluster stuff is turned on.

So please consider this your official notice. If you have stuff you want to transfer over to single player to save it there, you have until November 12th. Likewise, if you have stuff in single player that you want access to on The Center or Scorched Earth, you should transfer it to one of our servers by the end of November 12th.

Once I enable this stuff early on the 13th, you will effectively have a Cluster-only inventory in the obelisk, and a single-player/rest of the worlds servers inventory in single-player. Transferring/storing stuff in the obelisk will work, just only be accessible from one of our servers.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

PS.

At whatever future point these servers are closed, or transferred to a new host, or someone else runs them for PA, I will make sure things are unlocked well in advance, or that people can just straight up download the server files to gain access to their stuff.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    S+ patch today. roughly 7pm, PST.

• Options
    S+ updating now.
    Update: Oct 31 @ 7:37pm
    - You now need to install internal pipes and wires(place them on foundations, walls and ceilings)
    - An icon will show you the current status when you look at a structure (white water drop for installed pipes, blue water drop for irrigated pipes, white lightning bolt for unpowered internal wires, yellow lightning bolt for powered internal wires)
    - New Items: Internal Pipes - Square, Internal Pipes - Wall, Internal Wires - Square, Internal Wires - Wall
    - Existing triangle foundations and ceilings have been re-modeled by MythN7
    - Triangle snap points have been re-done. They are now mathematically perfect and won't lead to alignment issues
    - New Items: Greenhouse Triangle Ceiling, Adobe Triangle Foundation, Adobe Triangle Ceiling
    - New Items: Glass Triangle Ceiling and Foundation (can cycle transparency and have 8 model variations)
    - Added: Sloped Triangle Roofs(wood, stone, metal, glass, greenhouse and adobe)
    - Currently the sloped triangle roofs only snap to the top of walls, more snap points will be coming
    - Some of the triangle roofs work best with ramps on either side and others with roofs, in a future patch roofs and ramps will be cleaned up
    - Added wood, stone, metal, glass and adobe large(4 walls high) and behemoth walls(12 walls high)
    - These can attach just like normal walls so you can build walls or bases with them
    - They have snap points for ceilings at the appropriate heights
    - The glass version has the transparency cycling and model variations that a normal glass wall would have
    - Added stone, metal and adobe large and behemoth sloped hatchframes.
    - They can snap in two different orientations
    - New Item: S+ Gardener (automatically pulls everything but fertilizer from nearby crop plots, can be pulled from with the pull UI, requires Beer to function)
    - New Config: GardenerRangeInFoundations
    - New Item: S+ Auto Turret (larger inventory, can use electricity or gas, is lockable(ie don't need to pin code it), when electric it will switch to gas if it loses power and then will switch back to electric when power is restored)
    - New Item: S+ Turret Configurator (right click to copy settings from a turret, left click to apply those settings, G will transfer bullets from your inventory to the turret)
    - You can now set a pin code on the S+ Multi Lamp
    - You can no longer pick up Plant X with the Demo Gun
    - Fixed issue with stone walls being too wide
    - Roofs can be snapped to the top of walls

• Options
    I'm becoming convinced Orionsun is a sorcerer.

• Options
    I think the new plumbing and wiring system might be better than it was before. In that you can see where you have it set up. I like that.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I'm becoming convinced Orionsun is a sorcerer.

Honestly, I'm expecting some Scooby-Doo style reveal where someone unmasks him and it's really Markus Persson, who turns out to just be extremely bored...

• Options
    Did a little mucking about during my son's nap today. The new (?) demo gun is civilization. Not sure which update added it. It works on everything, not just plus structures. Whether by design or no I hope that feature stays. I tore down a perimeter fence I wanted to redo in minutes. Make sure you put it away before you start placing objects, it has a tendency to pick up the object as soon as it's placed, or the foundation it's snapping to, and so on.
    Really looking forward to messing around with some of the other new structures soon.

• Options
  • Options
    Little mad at myself. I was prepping to move my crap back to the Funtime Riders' original base because I have just had it with the fauna surrounding the blue obelisk, so I was moving my inventory of s+ adobe walls, foundations, and ceilings, along with all my other random crap, into the blue obelisk, intending to pull it out at red for a much shorter walk to said old base. At SOME point, roughly 300ish stacks of items, it all went poof. Nothing in my ark inventory. I checked single player, and oh hey there it all is. I read it's a bug, like they intend for there to be an item limit in the obelisk inventory but it doesn't work. When I get home from work, I'm going to try and pull it out in single player and put stuff back in a little at a time, which will hopefully cause it to show up again on-server. It appears that nothing is lost, at least. If nothing else it will be a nice stash should I ever decide to play single or on a different server.
    Dammit Ark, even when you work, you're broken.
    Also looking forward to reading that Q&A.

• Options
    Little mad at myself. I was prepping to move my crap back to the Funtime Riders' original base because I have just had it with the fauna surrounding the blue obelisk, so I was moving my inventory of s+ adobe walls, foundations, and ceilings, along with all my other random crap, into the blue obelisk, intending to pull it out at red for a much shorter walk to said old base. At SOME point, roughly 300ish stacks of items, it all went poof. Nothing in my ark inventory. I checked single player, and oh hey there it all is. I read it's a bug, like they intend for there to be an item limit in the obelisk inventory but it doesn't work. When I get home from work, I'm going to try and pull it out in single player and put stuff back in a little at a time, which will hopefully cause it to show up again on-server. It appears that nothing is lost, at least. If nothing else it will be a nice stash should I ever decide to play single or on a different server.
    Dammit Ark, even when you work, you're broken.
    Also looking forward to reading that Q&A.

Oh, I had that. Right when we moved servers in June.

I had a bunch of stuff in the ob, and then suddenly nothing. Most of it gone forever. Good luck.

• Options
    Well, like I said, it's not all truly gone, it's showing up in my single player obelisk. My working theory is that it got popped into the ether from too much stuff in there so if I take it out, because I still have access to all of it in single player, and put it back in, a little at a time, I think hope it should pop back in. That's my theory at least.

• Options
    Well, like I said, it's not all truly gone, it's showing up in my single player obelisk. My working theory is that it got popped into the ether from too much stuff in there so if I take it out, because I still have access to all of it in single player, and put it back in, a little at a time, I think hope it should pop back in. That's my theory at least.

Mine I couldn't recover. I ended up having to wipe my player profile.

• Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular
    OK so anything we have on the OB will be destroyed come the 13th? And once the 13th hits we will no longer be able to take from the center and get it on single player?

And did the SE name change?

• Options
    RayzerbeamRayzerbeam Registered User regular
    I have a server called "fadedpantiespresent:sand" but when I log into it, it wants me to create a new character.....and there is no password...Im guessing this isnt our server.

• Options
    Anything in the OB will be locked out, as far as PA servers are concerned. You will still have access in Single Player and other servers that allow transfers. After the 13th, everything we do on PA servers stays on PA servers, like Vegas :) At least, until such a time as Mudd shuts down the server or hands over control of the server to someone else, at which point he'll allow transfers again and/or downloading of the server files.
    You'll have to search the server list for the new server location, or use the steam link in Mudd's post.