As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing any even just standing around in quite a while.

Didn't Ser Robert Strong have two flanking him in this episode?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Seal wrote: »
    Re: Cersei

Whos gonna tell her "no"?
    I imagine the same angry mob that was strong enough to imprison members of the royal family to begin with, only now they have reason to be even angrier.

Who is loyal to Cersei besides Qyburn and his kid army and zombie Mountain? Lannister soldiers shouldn't be. Kevan was the head of House Lannister, and she killed him (her own uncle). Kinslaying is supposed to be taboo, even though between the Boltons, the Sands, and the Lannisters it keeps happening again and again and no one seems to care anymore.
    The mob was only strong enough because Tommen was an indecisive child who fell in with that same mob. And that mob had its numbers thinned somewhat in a large explosion. The Lannister soldiers will be loyal to the highest ranking Lord or Lady available with the name Lannister, which is Cercei now. They can suspect she blew up the Sept all they want, suspicion doesn't always translate into action, especially when speaking out means you might be having a friendly discussion with 500 pounds of Mecha-Mountain.

Not true
    Jaime is the head of house lannister now

True but he was absent with the bulk of their forces. They just went with the one in the city.

Yeah but
    he just rolled into town with 8000 lannister soldiers

if Jaime sides against Cersei she's turbofucked

Who commands the gold cloaks these days? There are like, 10,000 of them right?
    technically Cersei but Jaime is going to be paying the bills and I can't imagine they want mad queen in charge

and the gold cloaks are no army, they were no match for Stannis' forces, they're more like a militia

they sure as shit wouldn't oppose an actual army with any hint of legitimacy behind it to defend a woman who burned down 20% of the city

besides I think they might have their hands full with civil unrest

override367 on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Unff, this soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I

yahs queen

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    The Gold Cloaks are basically the city guard. A police force.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    Just when you start to get a little sympathy for Cersei:
    She goes and throws the best fireworks show ever seen in King's landing, tortures a nun with zombie mountain, and takes the throne.
    That bitch is cold as ice.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I really hope Cersei's acts in the finale end up cementing Jaime's place in the good-guy camp. He was so vile while threatening Edmure Tully, but hopefully now he might see Cersei's ambition and madness transcends everything, even his love. She sent Jaime away from her to retake Riverrun (a stronghold that they claimed by murder and deceit in supporting their family's illegitimate regime), and Jaime returns to find the city burning, his only living child the victim of suicide (thanks to Cersei's machinations), and his lover behind it all.

Jaime, hopefully, will come to admit his own complicity in these events and make things right, either by abandoning King's Landing to support the North or taking Cersei down from power.

Also, how totally weird would it be if, after all this, when Dany finally arrives in Westeros there's no one left bothered enough to oppose her?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Also, how totally weird would it be if, after all this, when Dany finally arrives in Westeros there's no one left bothered enough to oppose her?
    No need to worry about that.

Game-of-Thrones-Nights-King-938x535-1434132214.png?quality=0.85&format=jpg&width=480

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Game-of-Thrones-Nights-King-938x535-1434132214.png?quality=0.85&format=jpg&width=480
    she did say that she might have to marry someone to cement her claim to the throne...

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

she did say that she might have to marry someone to cement her claim to the throne...
    Who is Darth Maul to deny her? Now she can be his new Sith apprentice.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I imagine Dany arriving in Westeros at the head of her army, only to find Jon and his army standing on the coast.

Then he shoves a bag of Dragonglass at her and says "Oh thank God you're here. Deal with this!", pointing at the legions of encroaching undead before he and his men hop the boats and head for Mireen.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

It is a Song of Ice and Fire

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I really hope Cersei's acts in the finale end up cementing Jaime's place in the good-guy camp. He was so vile while threatening Edmure Tully, but hopefully now he might see Cersei's ambition and madness transcends everything, even his love. She sent Jaime away from her to retake Riverrun (a stronghold that they claimed by murder and deceit in supporting their family's illegitimate regime), and Jaime returns to find the city burning, his only living child the victim of suicide (thanks to Cersei's machinations), and his lover behind it all.

Jaime, hopefully, will come to admit his own complicity in these events and make things right, either by abandoning King's Landing to support the North or taking Cersei down from power.

Edmure situation is interesting. This is book influenced but I really felt like ShowJamie was trying to give as good a deal as possible to Edmure because he wanted to avoid any more bloodshed. What he realized during the conversation is that he can't do the nice guy thing because everybody has these preconceived notions of who he is. He can fail, and kill a fuck ton more peasants, or he can play to type and frighten somebody into accepting their best case scenario.

Basically be the villain in order to save folks who will hate him for saving them. Which is sorta like Jamie's whole thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Delmain wrote: »

It is a Song of Ice and Fire
    Then the series switches genres to a romance, between a Queen of Dragons and a lonely Winter King who wants his heart to be melted. With love.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    put me down for team dany marrying yara

override367 on
  • Options
    put me down for team dany marrying yara

Yara seems the open minded sort. perhaps she'll take the same view as Daario and wont mind sharing.

• Options
    The whole thing about Dany dumping Daario to keep her marriage options open seems weirdly out of character for a Queen who don't give no fucks about opposition

• Options
    The whole thing about Dany dumping Daario to keep her marriage options open seems weirdly out of character for a Queen who don't give no fucks about opposition

She may be a little bit of a rebel, but she is savvy enough not to ditch advantages a marriage gives her - and she needs as many as she can get.

• Options

i think this might have made sense if they'd spent more time in Mereen and if her marriage to ensure peace there had gotten more than 10 minutes of screen time.

• Options

i think this might have made sense if they'd spent more time in Mereen and if her marriage to ensure peace there had gotten more than 10 minutes of screen time.

The one moment she found someone who didn't want to marry her...

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular

As a book reader, the less time the show spends in Mereen the happier I am.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    It seems to me Littlefinger is trying to (show spoiler)
    create a wedge between Sansa and Snow. In all his scenes he is putting snow down and feeding her lines how she should be queen. That look at the end if the season. Is it working?

Sansa
    A lot of people are interpreting that look as more of a "go back to babysitting creepy kid" directed at Littlefinger more than a wedge between Sansa and Jon. Sansa looks happy when Lyanna declares for Jon and some people think Sansa may have pushed Lyanna to do so given how earlier Jon and Sansa were insisting the other take the title.
    southwick wrote: »

As a book reader, the less time the show spends in Mereen the happier I am.

I have less hate for Meereen than most book readers since I went into the series late and didn't have to wait years only to get more Meereen but even then a lot of the themes wouldn't work well in show format. A big thing about it is having the POV characters being deceived or being unreliable narrators and stuff like the Shavepate very likely feeding Selmy lies to further his own ambitions and grudges wouldn't work anywhere near as well if we saw the former obtaining false testimony or poisoning food.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's nephew
    - is Sansa/Bran/Arya's first cousin
    - by traditional rules of succession, is owed the Iron Throne over Dany
    - probably doesn't want it
    - and is only, like, fourth in line for lord of Winterfell

Atomika on
  • Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

You missed the most important one:
    - Is a bastard

Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna were wed in secret during the war, Jon is a Targ/Stark bastard now instead of just a Stark one

• Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin
    Dany's nephew i think. which would put him ahead of Dany in line for the the throne if he were legitimate. there's also the pesky business of no one knowing he's really a Targ, but i'm guessing there's some proof locked away in the Winterfell crypt to clear that up.

• Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

- Is a bastard

Unless Rhaegar and Lyanna were wed in secret during the war, Jon is a Targ/Stark bastard now instead of just a Stark one

It's hard to say that for certain, but I'm sure no one is lining up to defend his legitimacy anytime soon.

• Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin nephew

Fixed that for you.

Though the technically first cousins once removed thing confuses the shit out of me. We have words for such things in english!

• Options
    edited June 2016
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

- Is a bastard

Ramsay: Legit bastard.
    Gendry: Royal bastard.
    Jon:
    Bigger royal
    bastard?

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin
    Dany's nephew i think. which would put him ahead of Dany in line for the the throne if he were legitimate. there's also the pesky business of no one knowing he's really a Targ, but i'm guessing there's some proof locked away in the Winterfell crypt to clear that up.

or the citadel

lots of books there, mang

• Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin nephew

Fixed that for you.

Though the technically first cousins once removed thing confuses the shit out of me. We have words for such things in english!

the cousins removed thing is not that confusing once you learn it.

first/second/etc is how many generations between you and a shared ancestor, first is one generation (aka, your parents are not the same, but their parents are the same), second is two, etc

once/twice/etc removed is how many generations down one member of the pair being examined is away from that level.

Example: I have a first cousin, my mother's sister's son. He has a son. We are first cousins, once removed because we still have the same generation shared ancestor, but he is one generation removed from that relationship. If I had a son, my son and my cousin's son would be second cousins, because they share an ancestor at the great-grandparent level.

• Options
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

or the citadel

Given the need to keep it a secret, I doubt they sent a written record of it down to Oldtown. That's almost the opposite of keeping it a secret. My guess:
    Dany will meet Jon and the dragons will be surprisingly friendly with him.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Edmure situation is interesting. This is book influenced but I really felt like ShowJamie was trying to give as good a deal as possible to Edmure because he wanted to avoid any more bloodshed. What he realized during the conversation is that he can't do the nice guy thing because everybody has these preconceived notions of who he is. He can fail, and kill a fuck ton more peasants, or he can play to type and frighten somebody into accepting their best case scenario.

Basically be the villain in order to save folks who will hate him for saving them. Which is sorta like Jamie's whole thing.

I agree, but I don't think they did a very good job of showing that. It's something that could've been done well, but wasn't.

I imagine the same angry mob that was strong enough to imprison members of the royal family to begin with, only now they have reason to be even angrier.

Who is loyal to Cersei besides Qyburn and his kid army and zombie Mountain? Lannister soldiers shouldn't be. Kevan was the head of House Lannister, and she killed him (her own uncle). Kinslaying is supposed to be taboo, even though between the Boltons, the Sands, and the Lannisters it keeps happening again and again and no one seems to care anymore.
    The mob was only strong enough because Tommen was an indecisive child who fell in with that same mob. And that mob had its numbers thinned somewhat in a large explosion. The Lannister soldiers will be loyal to the highest ranking Lord or Lady available with the name Lannister, which is Cercei now. They can suspect she blew up the Sept all they want, suspicion doesn't always translate into action, especially when speaking out means you might be having a friendly discussion with 500 pounds of Mecha-Mountain.

Not true

Did they explicitly say that?
    The fact that Cersei took over as queen implies--to me--that she's also head of House Lannister. Westeros doesn't do queens, she doesn't have a very strong claim because she's only related to the Baratheons by marriage, but she took the title anyway because she has armies and she can. I don't see why she wouldn't also consider herself head of House Lannister in the process. And Jaime's not really the type to contest that claim, either. I can see that changing, particularly as everything is falling apart and he's getting flashbacks to the Mad King, but I don't think he's there yet.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

or the citadel

Given the need to keep it a secret, I doubt they sent a written record of it down to Oldtown. That's almost the opposite of keeping it a secret. My guess:
    Dany will meet Jon and the dragons will be surprisingly friendly with him.
    Most likely person to spill the beans is the last living witness to the events at the Tower of Joy, Howland "Backstab multiplier 4.0x" Reed

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options

I agree, but I don't think they did a very good job of showing that. It's something that could've been done well, but wasn't.

Not true

Did they explicitly say that?
    The fact that Cersei took over as queen implies--to me--that she's also head of House Lannister. Westeros doesn't do queens, she doesn't have a very strong claim because she's only related to the Baratheons by marriage, but she took the title anyway because she has armies and she can. I don't see why she wouldn't also consider herself head of House Lannister in the process. And Jaime's not really the type to contest that claim, either. I can see that changing, particularly as everything is falling apart and he's getting flashbacks to the Mad King, but I don't think he's there yet.

Cersei
    Technically Cersei was Tommen's heir given how he had no children, siblings, or on-paper-father left alive so she actually does have a decent claim on top of an army and her political rivals in King's Landing exploded at what was supposed to be her trial.

As far as the House itself goes, in the backstory Robert had to give up all claims to Baratheon lands and titles to appease the nobility when he took the throne so even if Cersei was head of the Lannisters and hadn't relinquished that to Jaime previously she likely would have to upon claiming the throne.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I thought everyone was saying
    there'd have to be a counsel to decide on the new king

maybe that's why they killed the other maester? I was unclear on that decision.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

That's just what happened last time there was a giant clusterfuck over the succession. I don't think their was one for Robert's Rebellion but one time awhile ago a bunch of Targaryens killed each other until it was unclear who left standing should be king.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I thought that was more personal between the maesters. Like, the necro maester (forgot his name) may have planted the thought in Cersei's head "Hey, while you're killing everyone off, why not bump off the old maester? We'll get a bunch of kids with knives and lure him to the dungeon..." and Cersei just kind of shrugged, figured "what's one more body?" and gave the go ahead.

Second though that occurred to me, the maester knew about the wildfire under the city and wasn't completely under Cersei's thumb. He could have figured out who blew up the church pretty quickly.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Makes more sense when you realize literally her entire life up till the dragons she understood that her entire purpose in the world was to marry for power.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    so Jon (finale spoilers)
    - is Dany's first cousin

- Is a bastard

It's hard to say that for certain, but I'm sure no one is lining up to defend his legitimacy anytime soon.

the show has made it abundantly clear that the line of succession goes from the last leader to who whoever says they are next with the biggest stick

override367 on
  • Options

There very well could have been one off screen. Time is implied to have passed between events.
    Such a council may not have been that interesting though. As much as whoever is now in charge of the Tyrell family may not want Cersei on the throne, they wouldn't be able to do much without proof she exploded everything and without any alternative candidates with a claim to put forward. Every sibling, spouse, paternal uncle, and "cousin" that could be offered as a successor has been killed. This is a successor/claimant elimination that exceeds a non-Muslim Crusader Kings 2 game.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

That's just what happened last time there was a giant clusterfuck over the succession. I don't think their was one for Robert's Rebellion but one time awhile ago a bunch of Targaryens killed each other until it was unclear who left standing should be king.

You're thinking of
    the Blackfyre Rebellion which happened a few hundred years earlier. What happened was a Targaryen king legitimized all of his many bastards on his deathbed causing a massive succession crisis. Its the era where the dude who became the Three eyed Raven came from actually. He was one of the bastards from the Riverlands who eventually got sent to the Wall.

This discussion has been closed.