Options

[Game of Thrones] OPEN SPOILERS through most recent Season 7 episode. Valar Morghulis.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The hair beneath the visor was a squirrel's nest of dirty straw, and her face ... Brienne's eyes were large and very blue, a young girl's eyes, trusting and guileless, but the rest... her features were broad and coarse, her teeth prominent and crooked, her mouth too wide, her lips so plump they seemed swollen. A thousand freckles speckled her cheeks and brow, and her nose had been broken more than once.

So no, she wasn't pretty, but noble knights don't need to be.

Huh, when I read that it sounded like she looked fine - freckles, nice eyes, full lips, short blond hair... that could be someone pretty. But I don't think that is what the characters whose narratives we are following want to see because she isn't conforming to their standards for the female role in their culture.

You missed broad and coarse features, big crooked teeth, too wide mouth, and the lips thing doesn't mean full lips, it means she looks like her lips have been hit with a bee sting even when she's perfectly fine.

It's okay that the character was written to be ugly. There's nothing wrong with ugly people. She's a badass character.

I didn't miss it. It just strikes me as a description that could easily be some people I played sports like floor/street hockey, soccer, volley ball, basketball, and what not with growing up. Sure, they weren't models trying to use their attractive first glance features to sell a product line, but they weren't "ugly" either.

I'm ok with the character being written as considerably less attractive than those characters renowned specifically for being attractive but I do find it fascinating with how Brienne is seen as extra repulsive for her warrior position in her society where power structures are delineated along specific roles for men and women and how this is contrasted against neighbouring societies where this is not the case. Tormund's infatuation in this context alone was delightful but clearly for more reasons than just that and one of the few things in which I regard the show better than the book, but IIRC, in the book Jamie seemed to be taken to a degree with her as well, we don't seem to be getting that arc and others in the show :)

If Brienne had been born in a modern society, she would no doubt be more attractive than her book version. Hair could be fixed up with halfway decent shampoo. Teeth would be better with some modern dental care. A doctor likely could've done something to help her broken nose heal properly. Horribly swollen lips? She's a freckled blonde in a world that has been in summer for ten straight years; her lips are probably sunburned to hell and back. SPF lip balm (and also regular seasons) would help that. Generally and overall, I suspect people are better looking now than in medieval times for reasons like that.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    A hurricane of profanity.

A vulgar tsunami.

I'm pretty sure she's not actually paying attention to any scene with Joffrey in it anymore, since it is hard to hear the tv over her swearing at him.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Oh, are we posting "The Rains of Castamere" covers? Is it cool to post my band's cover of the song or is that frowned upon?

• Options
    She danced through the house for an hour after the Purple Wedding.

I kept reminding her she was celebrating the painful murder of a child.

"Fuck that kid." was her response.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Speaking of Rains of Castamere, my wedding cleared out kinda early (Sunday, lots of families with kids at home or work the next day) so it basically ended up with just a few of the locals and the out of town folks (so, some family, and a couple high school friends, but most of the family had also ducked out because they were traveling early the next day).

One of my friends asked the DJ to play the Rains of Castamere and he did :V

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Welp, less than a season before he has her mind blown by that trial by combat.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Careful bros. Someone took a set photo from a distance that minir spoils the next season

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Game of Thrones: Where we see three weddings, two of them involve murder, two of them are sad, but one murder wedding isn't a sad wedding.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Game of Thrones: Where we see three weddings, two of them involve murder, two of them are sad, but one murder wedding isn't a sad wedding.

Is Brynden Tully the only funeral we've seen on screen? I've been trying to figure out if the show might actually end on four weddings and a funeral.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Khal Drogo had a funeral.

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Khal Drogo had a funeral.

How the hell did I forget that one?!

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Well, Daenerys did kinda make it all about her.

• Options
    This woman has a peculiar look on most characters. Didn't care about Oberyn, so trial was a nonissue until Tywin announced the sentence (nononononononono was the response). She hates Thormund, which I just can't abide, but I think she'll warm up after Hardhome. Maergery is despised as a cold manipulator, which I guess is fair when I think about it, but she isn't a mean one, so whatever.

We're about halfway through season 4 now and she's hit that point. You know the one. Where everyone stops rooting for the characters they like and start actively rooting against the characters they hate.

Oh, the Brienne Hound fight! She was yelling at the tv "Neither of you are allowed to kill each other! STOP IT!" She is gonna love that cold open.

She made the mistake of saying she loved Jon Snow. This fall is a far one.

When Walda announced her pregnancy, she grinned and laughed at Ramsey. I've contemplated sharing some CKII stories with her to explain the finer points of hereditary inheritance with ambitious heirs.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

It's not a GoT wedding without someone dying.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I was going to argue that I don't remember anyone dying at Sansa and Tyrion's wedding but then I realized they both died inside enough that it probably adds up to a person.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I was going to argue that I don't remember anyone dying at Sansa and Tyrion's wedding but then I realized they both died inside enough that it probably adds up to a person.

They have to have those characters meet up again.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    We saw lots of weddings... Danny/Drogo, Robb/Whatsherface, The Red Wedding, Tyrion/Sansa, the Purple Wedding... Did we see anything with Littlefinger and Lysa?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Season 3 Question: Is the guy in Roose Bolton's army that
    takes Jaime Lannister back to Harrenhal

The actor from the "The Work Outing" (the one with the play "Gay") episode in The IT Crowd? Looks like him.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

I could 100% see Sansa and Tyrion choosing marriage to secure peace between The North and King's Landing if/when Cersei is overthrown and/or Dany takes over, especially if Sansa secures independence for The North through that marriage.

She knows Tyrion is smart as well as kind, she knows Cersei despises him and would presumably find out he's allied with her enemy, she knows he would never hurt her intentionally and in the eyes of the law as well as history it would mean her marriage to the last Lord Bolton had never been.

• Options
    LaOs wrote: »
    We saw lots of weddings... Danny/Drogo, Robb/Whatsherface, The Red Wedding, Tyrion/Sansa, the Purple Wedding... Did we see anything with Littlefinger and Lysa?

No, we just heard the honeymoon.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

The actor from the "The Work Outing" (the one with the play "Gay") episode in The IT Crowd? Looks like him.

Good eye, yes it is him, Jamie Michie.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I could 100% see Sansa and Tyrion choosing marriage to secure peace between The North and King's Landing if/when Cersei is overthrown and/or Dany takes over, especially if Sansa secures independence for The North through that marriage.

She knows Tyrion is smart as well as kind, she knows Cersei despises him and would presumably find out he's allied with her enemy, she knows he would never hurt her intentionally and in the eyes of the law as well as history it would mean her marriage to the last Lord Bolton had never been.

Idk, the fact that he isn't an awful human being, and was in fact kind to her, appeared to be lost on her. She was too concerned with him being a dwarf and "hideous".

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Idk, the fact that he isn't an awful human being, and was in fact kind to her, appeared to be lost on her. She was too concerned with him being a dwarf and "hideous".

No, she defends him to her Aunt Lysa when she asks if he raped her and goes on to talk about how disgusting he is. Heck, even before the wedding she was admitting to Margaery that he'd always been kind to her and shut up complaining as soon as she was reminded that Margaery was marryi Joffrey instead.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Sansa's been through Ramsay since her marriage to Tyrion. She may feel differently about him, or she may never want to be with another man again. I doubt she'd feel the same as she used to.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Sansa's been through Ramsay since her marriage to Tyrion. She may feel differently about him, or she may never want to be with another man again. I doubt she'd feel the same as she used to.

Tyrion is the only person that has ever treated Sansa with a bit of respect outside of her family.

I think it'd be interesting to see how much they've changed over the course of the series.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

Maybe book Sansa but show Sansa doesn't seem to blame him despite having every reason to be angry and upset.

The show even showed them getting on quite well right before they found out about the Red Wedding.

Book Sansa from memory was a bit more split. In her more logical moments I don't think she really blames him but it's a fucked up situation and it does get to her.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Good eye, yes it is him, Jamie Michie.

Cool, thanks.

• Options
    It's been years since I've read the books and now I'm catching up on the show. I'm getting super confused because my memories of the books are informing my expectations of the show.
    I just finished Season 3. Does A Storm of Swords bleed into Season 4?

HUGE book 3 maybe book 4 spoilers:
    Doesn't A Storm of Swords end with Tyrion killing Tywin and escaping, and Varys leaves too?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Yes, book three was split into two seasons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Yes, book three was split into two seasons.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Everything makes more sense now.

• Options
    Joffrey is a detestable little shit.

The actor is great because I almost forget it's a role he's playing.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    They also straight up got rid of some book things and changed others. Presumably to show more boobs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    They also straight up got rid of some book things and changed others. Presumably to show more boobs.

Aren't we over this by now? Do we really have to rehash that the show and book are different things every few pages?

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    didn't the kid who played joffrey like, have to give up acting for a while or something?

or maybe he just had enough and 'everybody thinks I'm a sadistic little shit now' was a good excuse

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    didn't the kid who played joffrey like, have to give up acting for a while or something?

or maybe he just had enough and 'everybody thinks I'm a sadistic little shit now' was a good excuse

He didn't "have to give up", he was always planning to retire to focus on his studies. He's since done some theater.

• Options
    He looks so much like Doogie Howser to me.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

He didn't "have to give up", he was always planning to retire to focus on his studies. He's since done some theater.

Yeah, I think as early as the first season commentaries Lena Headley mentions him stopping acting after the series to go to med school or something.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

Maybe book Sansa but show Sansa doesn't seem to blame him despite having every reason to be angry and upset.

The show even showed them getting on quite well right before they found out about the Red Wedding.

Book Sansa from memory was a bit more split. In her more logical moments I don't think she really blames him but it's a fucked up situation and it does get to her.

I mean, he was a kind jailer, but she was still a prisoner.

That he felt kinda guilty about it doesn't really change that basic fact

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, not like Tyrion had much choice in it either.

Either way, they do need to meet up again.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I haven't read the books, but in the show Tyrion is every bit as forced into the marriage as Sansa. He then proceeds to extend his protection as her high-ranking-Lannister husband to protect her from everyone else, and to treat her well in private. She has no reason to blame him or resent him. Quite the opposite I would say.

Which means that, ironically enough, Tyrion and Sansa could become what Tywin wanted all along, the foundation for a stronger relationship between the North and the South after the war. It just won't happen at all the way he planned it.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.