Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Yes. I believe I grabbed the Driftglobe. Which I thought was part of the rod. But clearly it isn't. So, mine now!

Ay throws the small globe up into the air a few times, catching it. "Actually, this might be something good for you, Philo. My understanding is humans have a difficult time seeing in poorly lit areas, so perhaps this could benefit you?"

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I assume we are moving on? Back to where we left off before it was feeding time for Squammulsh? Tackling that room to the south of where you fought the Hobs and Gobs? I shall get something ready for that...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    "If'n he's 'bout to run in t'anything, I'll be lettin' him know."

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I believe the plan is for Barran and Ay to poke ahead stealthily to see if there's anything in the room, right?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Right. Give me some sneaky-sneak rolls then please. And Perception while you are at it.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Sneaky-sneak
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

Edit:
    Hahaha, oh man

Sneaky-sneak:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]
    Perception:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    We are not worthy. :o

Characters
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    For God's sake, man, share some with the rest of us!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Don't worry, I'm sure I can screw this up...

Edit: Nope. Those were pretty solid.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Stealth
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Perception

Stealth:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    Perception:
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]

am0n on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Returning to the beginning's of Lady Zarr's section of dungeon you can count yourselves lucky that there has not been either a shift change, a return of one of the groups out of the base, or some beastie coming to feast on the bodies you left behind. The dead guards have gone undiscovered. Turning your attention to the southern set of double doors to the south, you are set to explore the "Spider Temple" the hobgoblins tried to lead you to.

Sending forwards your able scouts, they manage to see the things. All of things...

Firstly, just through the doors is a dark, wide hallway. In the hallway are two very lifelike, and ugly, stone statues. One of a goblin and another of a kobold. Written above their heads on the walls, one side in goblin, the other in draconic, are the words "Do Not Enter. Let Groog and Jibble be Your Warning!"

The hallway opens up into a much larger room. With high ceilings as per the previous rooms, but before you is a large wall, currently featureless but the super-keen eyes of your scouts see that, 100s of years ago, it used to hold a majestic tapestry. Probably one that was a glorious work of art depicting an entire pantheon of gods lording their majesty over the huddled masses below. The mortal's hands raised in supplication and devotion to caring and beneficent rulers. Passing beyond the, now feature-less, feature wall the room opens, extending another 80's feet or so to the south. The room was once obviously a temple, once devoted to the human gods as evidenced by the 6 massive sculptures.
    Countless statues in unusual poses fill the chamber. Six enormous sculptures, each carved from marble and depicting a deity, reside in alcoves on the eastern and western walls. The other statues in the room and made of less valuable stone, maybe granite. Many are sporting gnaw marks and the older ones are missing entire chunks. Most of the lesser statues are of kobolds and goblinoids, although there are a smattering of humans, dwarves and elves scattered about. Also halflings, gnomes, drakes, a carrion crawlers and other assorted dungeon denizens.

At the rear of the chamber, there is a large multi-legged lizard roaming about the statuary taking random bites from the statues, as if it is hungry and its regular meal has been a few hours late in arriving...

basilisk.jpg

This...this isn't a Spider Temple. Those Hobgoblins lied to you!

Dungeon Map:
    Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg
    You are entering room 5 now...

Current Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 24/27, Spells:-/3
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+6/30, Spells: -/3/2
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+6/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+6/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    After waiting for what seems an eternity, Salazar turns to the other two.
    "Think they're dead?"

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Barran and Ay totally have the scoop on the room....so much so that even though they lack enough range on their darkvision they can totally see the Basilisk on the far side of the room that otherwise might have go the drop on its food.

What do you guys want to do?

• Options
    ...Leave?

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    What a shocker... the hobgoblins lied to us.

@Steelhawk besides the threats of the room, did we make out anything else of interest? Doors/passages? Anything that might suggest there is a relic, treasure, or other reason to push our luck against the basilisk?

Returning to the group with Barran, Ay describes what he and Barran uncovered. "Of particular interest is the two life-like statues with the warning and the creature at the far end of the hall. The way it was nibbling at the stone statues makes me wonder if that creature may have turned the other two to stone. If we proceed forward, we need an extra detailed plan, so we don't suffer the same fate."

• Options
    Damn you guys and your Natural 20! :)

No....there is nothing of monetary value in the Basilisk room. Just a hungry pet Basilisk, full of XP, that would try to eat you.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    "However, I see no doors or passages... and the room looks empty beyond that creature. I'm not sure there is any good reason to risk ourselves by confronting the creature, unless we can do so with safety and at a great distance."

am0n on
  • Options
    "I'm not much of one for fights at a distance," says Philo."Damn! We're no closer to tracking down Zarr than we were before."

• Options
    The dwarf nods as the situation's explained to him. "Not entirely true. The Finder has crossed off one room we no longer have t'search. I've no wish t'become a statue, so I'd agree in pressing on in another direction."

Characters
  • Options
    "Sounds like we should proceed the other way, then. Maybe there is something else on the corpses of the goblins or hobgoblins that might point is in the correct direction."

• Options
    Take a look at the dungeon map...that is IC info now anyway...the rest of Zarr's complex are the rooms with numbers in faint black written by me (I love my Surface). Let me know what room number you guys are aiming for and I'll move us along.

• Options
    Is number 5 with the basilisk? And the doors I was referring to are the ones to the right of number 4. I'm going to assume we open those and see the hallway go in 2 directions, with it having another hallway midway down. Rule of thumb is always go left! So I'll suggest we head north.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    North it is!

Deciding the leave the Basilisk alone to munch on statues, you guys regroup and head to one of the three sets of double doors leading to the east. Cautiously checking one of them you see that all three doors lead to the same hallway. The halls are unlit and, as far as you can tell, empty. Philo and Barran need to let me know their vision situation, please....

Heading north along the hall, it turns to the right a bit before coming a flight of stairs heading up.

1833485_orig.jpg?690Uh....ignore the torch, the picture is for flavor only!

Those of you with the keenest ears can make out angry sounds from ahead of you...many voices, two different languages, sounds like they're arguing about something.

What do you do?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    If Philo has been keeping his new Driftglobe lit, Barran will be standing behind him and using its light. If not, then Barran is keeping his Light cantrip going.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Hearing the noises, Ay reaches out to pause Philo and Dural. In a whisper, "Can you hear the voices? We should proceed cautiously. I can try to scout ahead and see what is going on."

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Dural's dwarven ears try and pick out any kind of hint of understanding in the muffled noises ahead of them, while cautiously readying his hammer.

minion, roll 1d20+1 for Perception (Dwarven, Common, Elvish)

Perception (Dwarven, Common, Elvish):
    1d20+1 21 [1d20=20]

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Dural can't understand what the words actually are, but he can immediately tell that the two languages are goblin and draconic. The voices are reedy and annoying enough that he knows that they belong to a group of kobolds and goblins.

And again, without knowing the words, Dural knows that they are arguing over the finer points of language and that this is clearly a dispute over why one group needs to learn how to speak to the other group. And that goblinspeak is stupid, and kobold only think they're so great because they speak the language of dragons. And that...that one must have been a "your mama" joke because now the voices are even angrier at each other.

The voices are coming from room #7

• Options
    edited January 2017
    The dwarf's head tilts for a moment as he tries to pick out the conversation happening ahead of them, while his face alternates through expressions of interest, confusion, and a deadpan stare of disbelief into the darkness ahead of the party, roughly in that order. "Goblins and Kobolds. Arguing about shite. Over there," he says, tersely, as he points ahead of the group and to the right.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Heeeeey Salazar speaks Draconic!
    need a roll?
    here, have a roll!

minion, roll 1d20+1 for listening check

listening check:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]

• Options
    Alas, try as he might, Salazar can't make out anything...

• Options
    "I'd be partial to just chargin' right in, but by Beshaba's ti...unmentionables," he coughs, catching himself, "We'd run into another blastin' magic doodad."

Characters
  • Options
    Ay perks up, "Barran, you seemed to be especially good at charming the people in the tavern. Any chance you could limp around the corner, faking injury, and when they see you try to limp back here, luring them into a trap?" Ay pauses after saying that, "Although I suppose we should first scout out and see what we are up against."

• Options
    The driftglobe floating over his shoulder, Philo peers into the shadows. "That's a lot of risk for Barran to take on," he says. "But it might pay out, if they fall for it."

• Options
    The driftglobe floating over his shoulder, Philo peers into the shadows. "That's a lot of risk for Barran to take on," he says. "But it might pay out, if they fall for it."

Is that set to dim light, or bright?

• Options
    Dim, since I'm surrounded by people who can see in the dark.

Man, I hope that doesn't get us all killed.

• Options
    A light source in a dark dungeon? Of course its going to get you into trouble at some point. :)

• Options
    // clearly philo seeks death after failing his company. why he has to drag other standup gentlemen into it is beyond me! ;p

• Options
    Hey now! Philo was the only one willing to give me a leg up to get that driftglobe!

• Options
    "If it's a distraction you're looking for, I could play some music, or send a ball of light hither and thither. I don't necessarily have to stand there and wave for their attention...

"But I agreee that I'd like to see who exactly we're trying to get the attention of before doing it. We don't want another giant lizard situation."
    Barran's eye twitches at the memory of the massive beast.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "Maybe I could talk to them? Couldn't quite make out what they were saying but it was all Draconic."

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    "Maybe I could talk to them? Couldn't quite make out what they were saying but it was all Draconic."

You could always creep a little closer and try again.....you did roll terribly on your first perception check.

There is not much more to just eavesdrop on. Dural's natural 20 gave you the gist. Seems like Zarr is forcing the disparate groups of her "army" to get along and learn how to communicate with each other. Obviously, its not going so well as the two groups are arguing rather than working through sentence structure and grammer.

What would you say to them?