Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "By the gods, nooooo".
    Salazar had planned to shock them into spilling some information and then letting them go, provided the others didn't gut them.
    But now one of them has broken loose and forced his hand.
    "SUBDUE HIM!"

// OH YEAAAAAAH!

The firebolt explodes mere inches from the hobgoblins head, sending him flying head over tails.
    He lands on his face and goes limp. A noticable groan is heard.

"No no, it's ok, you guys just sit around. *deep breath*. Ok I'm out of ideas, I was betting on them losing their nerve and telling us something, they didn't, and I'm not one for executing unarmed people."

minion, roll 1d20+6 for firebolt KO
    minion, roll 1d20+6 for adv. firebolt KO

minion, roll 2d20+4 for firebolt damage

firebolt KO:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]
    adv. firebolt KO:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The fleeing Hobgoblin gets his bell rung but good as he was vainly trying to escape. Now he's splayed out on the floor watching the birdies circle his head.

His friend looked hopeful there for a second, but now hangs his head dejectedly.

So now comes the real question....what are you going to do with them?

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hope everyone had a good new year!

Ay, watching the dwarf and tiefling torture the unarmed hobgoblins shakes his head. "You should think about that before attempting to take them hostage," Ay responds to Salazar.

Walking over the the disoriented one, Ay takes out some rope and begins to bind him arms, being sure to make the wraps more secure than the last. "Perhaps our friend the mirror will be willing to watch these two so they don't go and warn their master." It pains him a bit to say it. He knows what will likely happen with the mirror. But the group can't afford to let the hobgoblins roam free.

Ay brings the hobgoblin to his feet, and motions to Philo to get the other on his feet. "Let's drop them off, along with the wine Barran bought. It'd be good to keep at least one ally down here." Ay then begins to move in the direction of the mimic's hallway.

am0n on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The dwarf winces. "Almost think it'd be nicer to roast em...can't believe I be sayin' that," the dwarf muses, but otherwise picks up his gear and gets ready to go. "Least they won't be a snack."

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    This is a plan. Are we agreed on this plan or does someone else have an alternate idea?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "We're going to make friends with the mimic... but hand the hobs over to something else down here to watch over them for us? Are we that trusting?"
    Barran's not going to argue, but will be following the hobs with his crossbow in hand, expecting them to make a last-ditch break for it. There are far too many inanimate objects down here trying to kill them for his liking.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "Hold a moment," says Philo, stepping forward. "Dumping them with the mirror is a short route to getting a knife in the back, and I'm not one for cold-blooded murder. I say we let them lead us to the temple." He looks over to the hobgoblins. "But they'll go first, and gagged.Besides, I don't imagine a drow and a clan of hobgoblins have much love lost for one another. Might be we can turn one against the other." He shrugs. "Or fight our way through. That's fine, too."

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    "There's that suicidal streak again! I'm not getting a good vibe off of that spider temple. How about we combine the two: we drop these two off at the mirror and THEN we let you scout out ahead towards the temple."

• Options
    Barran sidles over to Salazar and speaks sotto voce to avoid being heard by the prisoners.

"This 'mirror' of yours is basically a death sentence, yes? Just killing them now would save us the risk of taking them all that way. Is there some, uh..." He briefly pauses, remembering the tiefling's temper the last time Barran had questioned the seemingly unwholesome nature of his occult activities. "...some pressing reason they would need to be alive for that?"

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    "Not the word I'd use, Sal, but I take your point," says Philo. "But we should get to the bottom of what Zarr is doing; she may have other uses for stolen children down here, among whatever other foulness she's up to. Besides, remember how that girl at the tavern mooned over you when you came back a big hero? Imagine if we rescue another crop of kids. You might talk one of her friends into joining the two of you." He turns to Dural. "What do you say? I can't imagine many dwarves I've known skipping the chance to put the hammer to a dark elf." Glancing at Ay, he adds "Or elves I've known, for that matter."

• Options
    Salazar's blood ignites. He glares at the halfling.
    "What do you mean MY mirror?!", he yells.

He pauses a moment and realise that Barran is probably talking about the mimic and not the ominous devil-ish one.
    "Oh wait, you mean the mimic.", he says in a calm voice.

His temper flares up again.
    "By the gods! First off, it was Ay's idea, why are you asking me!? And second .."
    He gives Barran the dirtest of looks.
    "What is it with you and your casual racism?! "Oh it's a mimic, therefore it's untrustworthy and totally won't screw us over." You should be ASHAMED of yourself!"

He starts walking towards the entrance.
    "I'm going topside quickly to grab a side of lamb.."

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    "Ain't really had much personal experiences with the dark ones, what with them not being the surface type. M'Uncle did always grumble about their scheming, savage nature, aye. Particularly when it seems they be kidnapping children and the like." Dural says, nodding to Philo as they walk. "Well, it does prefer wine over ale. Can't really ever trust a folk that won't drink ale," he then adds, matter-of-factly to Sal's protest.

Characters
  • Options
    OK...so the mimic then? For sure?

• Options
    My vote's for the Spider Temple and a fight with Lady Zarr. That suicidal streak coming through. :)

• Options
    // If no one executes the prisoners, Salazar will second the idea to have the mimic watch over them. After bribing it with some lamb. After that .. paint a bullseye on philo and go check out the temple?

• Options
    Do we know where the temple is, without the captured hobs to guide us?

• Options
    Not exactly....they pointed to the south though. And the map that Barran found shows only one decent sized room there...

• Options
    As they start walking, Dural winces and remembers at least one or two bruises and scrapes he happens to have. Grabbing a vial from his belt, he uncorks it and downs the potion, relieving at least some of the discomfort.

Before I forget, we might want to patch up some of us.

minion, roll 2d4+2 for Potion of Healing

Potion of Healing:
    2d4+2 10 [2d4=4, 4]

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    My vote is still for the mimic. I fully expect he'll eat them, btw. That's why Ay felt some remorse leaving them with the mimic. But having them run off to warn the others, or turn on us when we get there and now we have to face 2 more hobgoblins, doesn't seem wise. And I have a 16 Wisdom.

Might also make sense to rest a bit there (short rest) if we can. If we are planning to storm an underground fortress (or similar), we probably want to be as peak as we can be.

am0n on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    You free up the Hobgoblin's legs just enough to be able to march all the way to their own doom. Back through the Hall of Statues, and then the Bone Throne Room (careful to avoid the snakes guarding all of those twinkling gems) and south through the tunnels back into the Hall of Three Kings. Moving west for a bit before south again coming to the door of "your" secret room and the Hall of Pillars (you can't be certain, but did that useless pillar in the middle change its stance?) and west again from there to the Hall of Mirrors. The whole time, the severity of what you are about to do sits with you, heavy on your hearts. But clearly, not heavy enough.

If a full sized oval mirror, with gnary teeth all around it, and pseudo-hand type thingies extruded from its frame could look like its about to cry tear of joy, it would. "Oh. My. Ovaries. Squammulsh is so happy. You...you...really did all this for me? Not just the wine, which Squammulsh just loves, by the way - so sour grape-y...Squammulsh doesn't know how you man-things do it. But, more than the wine, some hobgoblin main courses too?! You guys are the best adventurers a Mimic like me could ever meet. Ever. Squammulsh will never forget you guys...Squammulsh....Squammulsh loves you..."
    CHOMP! MUNCH! CRUNCH! SLUUUURP! BUUUURRRRRRPPPPPP!

2 Dark Side Points for all of you, you evil, murdering bastards! Swift blade to the throat and end it quick? Hells no! We're gonna feed them to a monster instead! Screw killing them in honorable battle in the first place. Fuck a quick mercy kill after a half assed interrogation consisting of one solid question (really guys? "how many of you and how would you kill your boss if you had a chance?" Not....what are your goals? or Where are you getting your slaves from? How many Drow warriors are there? Any Spiders? What's in the next room? What's in the south that you wanted to lead us to? What this thing over here on the map we found?) Nah, lets go with a nice snack-rifice instead!

You guys are awesome. Don't even change. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Dural grimaces, wincing with each Crunch, and mumbling under his breath, "In my day, we just killed the goblins."

Characters
  • Options
    Barran had never really considered himself a religious man, but something about recent events felt simply wrong. The way the Hobgoblins had meekly accepted their fates, the hideous sounds of their demise, the way Squammulsh had swallowed the wine bottles whole without even unstopping them...

But what could they have done? They had no way to keep prisoners, and making a friend of one of the less-unsavory denizens of this horrid place was better than not, considering... but, still.

Still.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    LOL. This is why I never take hostages! Interrogations are always awkward in games. But hey, we made a friend! Speaking of which...

Ay turns his head at the sight, but even his training can't block out the sound. He knows what he just did and it will require much meditation and personal reflection to overcome, but it helps a bit to know that some of those children have been avenged.

Turning back to the mimic, just in time to see him slurp down a bottle of wine, whole, Ay tries to use the group's new... friend... "We're glad you.. enjoyed.. Squammulsh. Prior to bringing them here, they mentioned something about a Lady Zarr, a drow, and a spider temple. Does any of that sound familiar to you?"

• Options
    edited January 2017
    what the shit! this is why Salazar wanted to get a leg of lamb! To satiate the mimic before dropping off the prisoners! Also they had the opportunity to spill some beans, they didn't, and Salazar doesn't turn unarmed people crispy. Ok, I'll just roll with it...

Salazar, out of breath, turns the corner into the hall of mirrors, leg of lamb in hand..
    "Hey guys I'm ba--*BLEEEEEURGH*"
    He arrives just as the hobgoblins legs disappear down the mimic's throat, and with that, he loses he lunch.

"Guys, we had a plan!"
    he shouts, wiping the vomit off his chin. After an awkwardly, unhealthily long silence, he walks over to that other mirror, and starts speak abyssal.

"Good evening, Sir Mirror. Is there anyone there?"

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Ask better questions next time! More specific ones that are not vague and open to interpretation...You tried those and they lied to you! Then we went straight to melting eyeballs and throwing Firebolts around. To be fair, though, that one breaking his bonds and trying to escape just sent this whole thing sideways. I'm having fun though. :)

The other mirror, thankfully, remains cloudy and unresponsive. Its probably for the best right now...

• Options
    After a lengthy unresponsiveness from the other mirror, Salazar resigns himself to running into another dangerous situation blind.
    "ok, how about we take a short breather and then hit the temple. Perhaps Ay can put his light feet to good use to minimize any unwanted ... surprises."

• Options
    "We had a plan to kill 'goblins." Scratching his head, he continues, "Dunno that this counts. Anyway, who needs patchin' up?"

Yell at me if you want healing, though I'll go through the previous stat list in a bit and see about what I can dole out.

WTB Healing Surges in 5e

Characters
  • Options
    That's what short rest hit die are for!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    ...I would like to amend my statement to: "WTB In Your Face Prominently Displayed Like Healing Surges Were on Character Sheet-style Hit Dice Recovery during Short Rest Mechanic That Obviously Can't Be Called Healing Surges"

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    in any case, due to time zone differences and what not, if you guys decide to take a short rest, I'll spend a few/all to get back up to more managable numbers.

• Options
    I could spend a hit die if we take a short rest.

Did anybody mention the demon in the unbroken mirror at all during the previous night's carousal, or is Barran still in the dark about it?

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Philo probably would have brought it up, at length and in detail, just to make sure everyone was in the loop.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    After leaving Squammulsh to her feast, you head back to the little way station that you carved out for yourself. (That odd column has definitely changed its stance...hasn't it?). Luckily enough, it has remained unmolested since you last left it and you all sack out for a short rest...

EDIT: Squammulsh has not heard any details about this Lady Zarr, but she has seen a few large, well armed groups of Hobgoblins pass through her hallway talking amongst themselves about their new Drow mistress. Zarr seems to be relatively new to the upper levels and has, as you already know, coerced a few tribes of Goblinoids to join her endeavours. The mimic has no idea what her goals are....but generally, Drow this close to the surface usually means they are engaged in some sort of business with the surface dwellers.

Current Stats after Dural drank his potion but before anyone has spent Hit Dice. If I missed anything, please let me know.

Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 23/27, Spells:-/3
    Salazar - AC: 15, HP: 17/30, Spells: -/3/2
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Dural - AC:18, HP:33/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Ay - AC:16, HP:23/31, Ki:2/4, HD:4/4

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Did the mimic not hear my question? If so, that's fine. He might have been too busy eating. Was planning to try and get some information out of him if he had any.

I do plan to use some HD if we are taking a short rest. Rolling twice, only using how many I need to get comfortably close to my limit without being overly wasteful.

Geth, roll 1d8+2 for HD
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for HD

Edit: Wow, that's some impressive rolling. I'm going to say that I'd have used them both. If a min of 3 would have been acceptable, I'd never have bothered rolling a second dice.

After rolls:

Ay - AC: 16, HP: 29/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4

HD:
    1d8+2 3 [1d8=1]
    HD:
    1d8+2 3 [1d8=1]

am0n on
  • Options
    Squammulsh did....I didn't :) See the post above for some more information

• Options
    Thanks! And Squammulsh is female! Who knew!

• Options
    am0n wrote: »
    Thanks! And Squammulsh is female! Who knew!

She is now! I have no idea if Mimic even have a gender or if they are asexual or whatever....but I used the "oh my ovaries" line, which I find amusing, so I figure it works out.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I don't want to spam the thread; I'm going to roll all 4 hit dice with the caveat that i'd like to end up somewhere near 25ish. I hope you trust me to not cheat, if you're not satisfied with the following I can reroll for you.

minion, roll 4d6

edit:

I use two, putting me squarely at 30.

4d6 14 [4d6=6, 3, 2, 3]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I would also like to use hit dice, but apparently didn't record what kind fighters get on my sheet. I assume it's d10, but if I'm wrong let me know and I'll re-roll. Gonna roll 2 dice, but I'll only use the second if the first roll is less than 6.

Also, after the rest Philo will use Inspiring leader to hand out 6 temp HP per character.

Edit: Wind up using both rolls. New statline: Philo - AC:19, HP:38/38+6 temp, 4 Sup. Dice

Geth, roll 1d10+2 for HD1
    Geth, roll 1d10+2 for HD2

HD1:
    1d10+2 7 [1d10=5]
    HD2:
    1d10+2 11 [1d10=9]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    "So Chompy over here hasn't a'clue about this Drow," he says, in between stretching out some of his more tender limbs to check for any lingering scratches, bruises, or breaks, "O'than she's apparently new. An' from the electric traps we've run into, either she found something about this mountain and is using it, or is talented in th'book-learnin' sense. Hells know no goblin'd be able to setup a trap that'd frizzle m'pride." Punctuating that last bit, he pulls a steel comb from his pack and begins the long, and laborious work of straightening out the mess that has become of his beard.

I will use a hit die since apparently I have those.

minion, roll 1d10+3

1d10+3 7 [1d10=4]

Characters