Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    "Well, it didn't hurt all that badly," Barran says, rubbing at the bite mark on his wrist, where an angry welt is receding. "Good thing I'm hardier than a starving street kid."

He makes a peculiar "I'm watching you" gesture at the throne, then repositions himself before the lock.

Geth, roll 1d20+8 for Master of Unlocking

Master of Unlocking:
    1d20+8 15 [1d20=7]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    //nah, Salazar's enjoying the show.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "Damnit!" Barran curses....he almost had it that time! But then he got bit in the pick fiddlin' hand.

Oooo! Your target number is 16!

Geth, roll 2#1d20+5 to Bite Barran with 1HP in bite damage per hit
    Geth, roll 2#2d4 for Poison Damage

to Bite Barran with 1HP in bite damage per hit:
    2#1d20+5 2 # 24 [1d20=19] 13 [1d20=8]
    Poison Damage:
    2#2d4 2 # 8 [2d4=4, 4] 3 [2d4=2, 1]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    As the snakes emerge once more, Philo strikes!

Hey, might've hit that time! Woo!

Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Attack!
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Damage!

Attack!:
    2d20k1+5 13 [2d20k1=[8], 5]
    Damage!:
    1d10+3 6 [1d10=3]

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Philo strikes true! Lopping the head off of one of the snakes and watching as it too is drawn back into the Throne.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Con save
    Looks like 5 points of damage from that one.

Con save:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    That's a failed save...Barran is taking another 5 damage

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    "Would this go quicker if'n I smashed the lock?" He says in between loud squishing and thudding noises of his hammer.

minion, roll 2d20+4 for Attack
    minion, roll 1d8+2 for Damage

Attack:
    2d20+4 19 [2d20=5, 10]
    Damage:
    1d8+2 8 [1d8=6]

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I sure flubbed that roll. I rolled a 14 there, not 19.

Characters
  • Options
    The final snake is crushed! Barran is now free to fiddle without bitey, poisonous consequences. The Throne's defenses now seem inert. How long that will last is unknown.

Also...the gems are free for the prying now, in case anyone is interested in some loot.

• Options
    Whew! The snakes defeated, Barran can focus on the task at hand...
    "Thank you kindly, gents."

Geth, roll 1d20+8 for nimble fingers

nimble fingers:
    1d20+8 19 [1d20=11]

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ...what color are the jewels!

• Options
    "Only sorry it took so long, Barran," says Philo. He turns to the gems on the chair. "I imagine these will fetch a bit in the city, and there's no reason to let Zarr have them. Does anyone have a spell to tell if they're cursed or not?" He shrugs. "Or if there's some alchemical gunk that will explode at me if I try to take them, I suppose."

• Options
    "They spit demon snakes at y'the moment you tried to pry em free. Course they be bloody cursed," grumbles Dural as he wanders over to Bursar to patch him up. "Stand still."

If he's still poisoned, I'll expend 5 hp of Lay on Hands to neutralize it. Otherwise, I'll heal 5 hp.

Characters
  • Options
    With a satisfying click noise, Barran manages to get his tools in the right position to pop the latch on the seat. Lifting it up on its hinges, he sees cylindrical compartment within which nestles rod!

A crystal rod, clear and faceted so if you turn it just so, the light from the glowing globes above your heads shimmers appealingly on the wall through it. It is about 3/4" in diameter and a foot long, with a decent but not onerous weight to it.

The gems are mostly yellows and blues, purples and greens...that sort of thing. Amythyst, Topaz, Opals, etc. None of the really rare gemstones like diamonds or rubies but enough to fetch some decent gold in the city.

Due to Philo being so Inpsiring, Barran is actually down only 3 HP total from all that poison, and Dural was full up already. Do you still want to spend that Lay-On-Hands HP?

Various Small Gemstones....valued at 275gp total. There would have been more, but the Hobs got to some of the gems first.

Current Stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 24/27, Spells:-/3
    Salazar - AC:15, HP: 30+6/30, Spells: -/3/2
    Philo - AC:19, HP:38+6/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Dural - AC:18, HP:40+6/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20
    Ay - AC:16, HP: 29+6/31, Ki: 4/4, HD: 2/4

• Options
    "Now we're talking!"
    Barran raises the rod above his head and whistles a short Halfling treasure-finding jingle, watching the shiny reflections as he turns it this way and that.

"Thanks for allowing me to indulge my curiosity. I can take a look at this and see if I can figure out what it is, unless we want to keep pressing on."

I don't think casting Identify takes all that long, but I don't want to be monopolizing the conversation if we're itching to keep after Zarr.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Sorry, I meant I was going to heal Barran. But since he's only down 3 hp, naw I'll save it.

Characters
  • Options
    Feel free to cast the Spell if you'd like. It only takes a minute, game time.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Watching the halfling heft the gem inlaid item over his head, Ay can't help but notice the blood running from the snake bite marks. Nothing fatal, of course, but still cause for someone to pause and question what he'd just done.

"Glad you've satisfied your curiosity. Do you notice any additional secrets about the throne?" Ay examines the throne a bit himself to see if he notices anything. "Salazar, any insight into the snakes? Were they magical?"

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Examining the Throne

Examining the Throne:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

• Options
    edited January 2017
    "Err .. probably?"
    Salazar hadn't being paying too much attention. The simultaneous play of both whack a mole and tag was too distracting.
    "Why do you ask? On another note, would anyone mind if I grab one or two of these gems?"

evilthecat on
  • Options
    You've pretty much figured out the Throne. A magically enfused seat of power, with a built in poisonous trap to make sure only the grand high muckety-muck from 100 years ago (refreshed every so often by Halasater the Mad Mage, 'cuz he's a jerk) would be the only one sit on it. The room itself was at one time nicely appointed. An audience chamber, maybe? An orgy room and the throne is the only piece of furniture left? A counting hall from way back in the days of the dwarves? Who knows?

• Options
    No time for a long post, but Barran will cast Identify on the rod! Let's see what all these snakebites have earned us.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    After a minute or so of fiddling and magical mumbo jumbo, Barran determines the following:

The crystal cylinder is a control rod for the larger of the two spheres hanging above your head. Using the rod, you can move it around as if you were pointing a wii remote at your TV. (Wait, a what remote?) More importantly, the globe serves as a prison!

The holder of the rod can TOUCH a creature and make an Arcana check to imprison 1 creature in the 12" globe, where the target doesn't age or require sustenance. The target is allowed a Wisdom Save to resist the effects. It can reside in the globe/prison indefinitely, released by the rod holder at will or if the rod is broken. The rod is made of crystal, so Barran thinks it won't take much to shatter it (5 HP, to be exact). Only one creature at a time can be imprisoned in the Globe.

And as a BONUS! The other, smaller 6" dia., Glowing Globe is a magical light source! The owner of the Globe can set it in place forever, OR have it hover above your head and follow along with you. It has three modes: Dim light in 10' radius, Bright Light in 50' radius, or Dark/Off.

Instead of converting a 4e item on the fly, maybe I should check comparable 5e items first.The other, smaller globe is a Driftglobe! (DMG 166) except that for some unknown reason its floating more than 5' above the ground.

Edit: If you can somehow get up there and claim the Glowing Globe, that is. Its currently 20' up, floating, and providing light to whole room.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Sorry, can't walk on ceilings, yet...

But, the rules for Jumping are if you have a 10 foot running start, you jump 3+Str Mod into the air (4 feet total). If I spend a Ki, I can double this for 8 feet. You also can reach 1.5x your height above that. I didn't specify a height, but I usually go for taller, so something close to 6 foot height wouldn't be abnormal and fits within height ranges for elves in 5E. That means 8 feet + 6*1.5 = 17 feet if I jump with Ki. So, if someone wants to set up their hands, or back, etc., and maybe assist me in some way, maybe we can clear that extra 3 feet? @Steelhawk that sound reasonable?

Edit: So I can do that without a roll. It also suggests adding a roll to exceed that (Pg 175 in PHB). I'd also be fine trying myself, but like the idea of us pushing the throne over to give me a step up or the burly dwarf throwing the elf like a caber.

am0n on
  • Options
    Reasonable? That sounds awesome! I'm picturing you using Barran, Dural and then Philo's heads as stepping stones for your mighty leap up into the air....

DO IT!

• Options
    Too bad we don't have a bard; we could get a full-on circus act going!

Also, whatever we do, make sure it doesn't involve me making a roll or we'll all wind up dead.

• Options
    Clearly Philo will be the last in the line of elf vaulting.

Looking up at the sphere, Ay takes a few steps back. "If some or all of you can give me a lift, I think I can jump up and grab it." Ay looks at the others, waiting for any willing to help to position themselves.

@Steelhawk What kind of rolls we looking at?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Give me a Str/Athletics check for the Jump, and any of the others that you are bouncing off of can Aid you in that check. We'll set the DC to 14.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Philo positions himself under the globe and cups his hands, hoping to vault Ay up and toward the orb.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Aiding Ay in Athletics

Aiding Ay in Athletics:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

• Options
    I'll wait for others to decide if they want to lend a hand before rolling and writing the RP.

• Options
    "What are you up to!?"
    Realising he's not going to be able to stop the others from doing .. whatever that is, Salazar starts patrolling the room and the adjoining ones to make sure all the groaning and huffing isn't attracting unwanted attention.

• Options
    The dwarf joins Sal in scouting the surrounding area. "Ain't noone usin' me as a footstool. Might as well do somethin' productive."

minion, roll 1d20+1 for Perception (just in case)

Perception (just in case):
    1d20+1 11 [1d20=10]

Characters
  • Options
    "Huh. That other orb is a timeless prison, and we just got the key. Perhaps we should open it up and see who the person who owned that throne considered worth locking up for eternity? 'The enemy of my enemy' and all that..."

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Barran also maneuvers the non-shining orb down to just above the floor and wonders if he can install a saddle to it in order to move about the rest of this adventure in comfort.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    "Open an orb that's designed to imprison beings far more powerful than any of us in the hopes that the entity inside, having been in there for gods know how long, hasn't gone insane and doesn't immediately disintegrate the lot of us.
    Say, Philo, I think you're becoming infectious!"

evilthecat on
  • Options
    I need a decision on whether or not you are opening the globe and/or what you are doing with it.

@am0n - Make your roll to jump, please.

• Options
    "I'm curious what's in the orb," admits Philo. "But we have pressing business with Lady Zarr. Let's return later and find out."

• Options
    Barran stows the rod in his pack and leaves the prison orb alone for now. Curiosity has stung him too much in the past ten minutes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Watching everyone except Philo turn away, Ay loses some confidence, but none the less breaks into a run. With a light hop, and a bent knee, Ay lands with one foot in Philo's hand and springs upwards as Philo vaults him. Reaching up, Ay grabs hold of the orb. Hanging there for a moment, it almost seems as if the orb is affixed to something, until suddenly it lets go. Ay brings the orb to his chest as he contorts his body mid-air, landing on his feet before rolling backwards to soften his fall. Standing back up, and with only Philo watching that impressive feat, Ay contemplates chucking the orb at the back of Barran's head, but instead chimes up, "I've got your orb, Barran."

I took some liberties and assumed that since I passed the DC I succeeded and got the orb. If I didn't, let me know and I'll cross it out.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Running Elf

Running Elf:
    1d20+3 16 [1d20=13]

am0n on
  • Options
    Point of Order:

There are TWO orbs. One of them is a 12" diameter globe that is in fact a floaty prisoner cage that can be controlled by the crystal rod. The other one is much smaller and is a Driftglobe magic item.