As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 6.0]Old Thread, Go to New Thread!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    WRT Torbjorn, I think the nerf will make him feel a little weak. I feel like keeping the damage as it was but making the turrets a little easier to kill (say, two Pharah rockets instead of three) would have been a better move. With the damage as it is now it means that squishier heroes like Tracer can move around with impunity when really turrets should zone her out.

So far I still feel like my turrets are doing plenty of work in matches. I have to work a little bit more for kills but I think that's fine. The turret shouldered entirely too much of the burden.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The best overwatch comic I've seen so far. Linked because it would most certainly be over the image limit: http://imgur.com/gallery/LksqS

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I'm a little late here and also not fully informed because of my trip this weekend making me fall behind the thread, but I saw peeps arguing symmetra so I thought I'd chip in

she feels super bad right now. like really really bad, something I'd been theorizing from the start--for her to be effective your opponents HAVE to be bad. And as the game has gone on and people actually learned how to shoot, and how to play flankers, I've never been able to find a use for her anymore. She can't kill anyone because she flat out loses to... actually I think literally everyone in the game, if she doesn't explicitly get the drop on them, which can be hard to do with 0 mobility abilities. Any hitscan character kills her from way out of her range, and most have a way to stop her laser (flash, melee helix). Projectile characters tend to lose if they get closed on, but can spam her out better than she can spam them, and at midrange--again, with good aim--she just dies without a wimper.

Sentries? Winston, Flashbang, Rockets. They've always been pretty easy to clean up, still are.

Teleporter? It's gotten to the point where every match I play symmetra will have one of, if not multiple, Tracer, Genji and Winston in them. Literally nothing you can do stop them from killing a teleporter. You can't 1v1 them as I mentioned above, their mobility abilities nullify turret defenses, and you can't afford to staff the teleporter with a sentry mccree because then you're weaker on the front line.

It's basically at the point where your only choice is to hide like a mercy and drop teleporter when your team wipes on point, at which point it's a rez with some upsides and downside but the very big downside of the character it's attached to being much worse than a mercy in most situations.

Finally, there's the +25 shields. Still pretty good, probably? But her almost-passive ability being her strongest point? Terrible state for the character to be in.

At the very least, even if she's not as bad as I think she is atm, she feels really bad to play, because you feel so helpless all the time. In a world with McCrees and 76s who can aim there's no place for a 200 health hero who can't shoot back.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    In my experience, Symmetra beats most heroes at close range. Reinhardt, Tracer, McCree, and Winston are the only ones who consistently wreck her. Playing Symmetra is largely about staying near closed in areas, which are favourable to you. Genji or 76 might be able to escape, but if you can duck around a corner, you'll be fine.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    In my experience, Symmetra beats most heroes at close range. Reinhardt, Tracer, McCree, and Winston are the only ones who consistently wreck her. Playing Symmetra is largely about staying near closed in areas, which are favourable to you. Genji or 76 might be able to escape, but if you can duck around a corner, you'll be fine.

I agree, she will generally win if she gets the drop on them and managed to close in. It's just really really hard to do that on most maps without something like Reaper's teleport.

Most maps feel like they're fought at midrange, anyway, which is where she's the weakest. Most payload maps boil down to that, fighting over chokes on assault boils down to that. KotH can be close range but it's also suuuuuper spammy which will often just lead to her dying to explosions before the beam is even fully charged.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    EnvyUs (the current top pro team by a wide margin) is using Mei. I've never seen a top tier team use her before. It's weird.

Edit: Not that I'm saying Mei's bad or anything. I guess Talespin had to switch to something now that Pharah's out of the meta at that level.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    EnvyUs (the current top pro team by a wide margin) is using Mei. I've never seen a top tier team use her before. It's weird.

She's always been incredibly good, she's just weird and hard to use. Teams won't use a character they haven't practiced with in a tourney with money on the line, but now that the game has been out longer they got the time to practice her. Star's been saying that since beta, iirc.

Ice Wall is a stupidly high skill cap ability, especially at the level of coordination pro teams have. It's like a second reinhardt shield you can put up at range.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

She's always been incredibly good, she's just weird and hard to use. Teams won't use a character they haven't practiced with in a tourney with money on the line, but now that the game has been out longer they got the time to practice her. Star's been saying that since beta, iirc.

Ice Wall is a stupidly high skill cap ability, especially at the level of coordination pro teams have. It's like a second reinhardt shield you can put up at range.

Well, Talespin has been on Junkrat on Dorado defense, Genji for Dorado offense, and Tracer for KotH. I honestly think they're trolling teams at this point because they can run virtually anything and still win.

Also, isn't it fun to see Zen and Lucio as supports? No more rezzes, just insane heal walls that are all about timing and coordination. Also, no more S76, just McCree all day, every day, yet with a significantly different playstyle than before (left click to victory now).

• Options
    sanstodo wrote: »

Well, Talespin has been on Junkrat on Dorado defense, Genji for Dorado offense, and Tracer for KotH. I honestly think they're trolling teams at this point because they can run virtually anything and still win.

Also, isn't it fun to see Zen and Lucio as supports? No more rezzes, just insane heal walls that are all about timing and coordination. Also, no more S76, just McCree all day, every day, yet with a significantly different playstyle than before (left click to victory now).

I've also heard Star say Junkrat is a staple on dorado defense, as well as Hollywood A defense--that's been known for a good while as well. There's the generalists of 76 and McCree and the supports who are everywhere, and then the niche characters who do their thang on certain maps.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    It's cool and all that the meta changes
    but S76 is still good

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, people still know how to deal with Dva's ult.

I gotta work more on doing the surprise booster deliveries.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    also Mei worked because the rest of their team could be able to dps very well and that area was perfect for Mei

• Options
    Yeah, the beginning of King's Row has several chokes you can completely wall off to isolate someone.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

I actually had a Mei put up a perfectly timed ice wall on me today.

It was on Numbani, when I was attaching to capture the payload. I was soldier 76 and was doing a pretty good job of clearing off the point, and had the steps behind me in case I needed to make a quick withdrawal to heal. Anyway I hear a rupture activate and go to back away and avoid it, but just as I did that the Mei put up an ice wall right behind me blocking my escape (though I suppose there is a chance she meant to put it in front and block my shots instead).

Even though I had just died, I could only look on in appreciation as I watched the kill cam.

I still loath Mei's in general though.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I just got a PS4 today. So naturally I'm downloading this game for it too so as an extension I'm adding friends from the op list. :)

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just got a PS4 today. So naturally I'm downloading this game for it too so as an extension I'm adding friends from the op list. :)

I'm not in the OP but please add me! Always looking for more people to play with.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Shorty wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    CesareB wrote: »
    Took about a month off. . .wow. I'm not really liking the changes especially the Symettra nerf. Like. Of all characters to nerf why are we looking at the support class, whose main damage/defense dies to one shot from ANYTHING? Also they had to have nerfed the speed debuff as well, because now people skate through the turrets like it's nothing.

Because she had the highest win rate in the game. Still does, in fact.

If that's the bar for nerfing then there are going to be nerfs every month. I would also put forth that that win rate is largely tied to defense where she is a beast (and rightly so). On most other maps, picking her is a pretty silly thing to do.

Seriously, this was a nerf noone asked for or thought was needed, especially when her ultimate is tied directly to the damage her turrets do. Just nonsense and really makes the character not fun to play.

Her turrets, which are her primary form of offense, got the 30% nerf that Tor got as well. I feel like also the speed debuff was also weakened.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    nothing that stops her from being good

She's still good in the sense that she's not completely worthless, but it's a nerf that just doesn't make a lot of sense. Nerfing Tor's turrets I can see as it was basically another player on the team, with autoaim. Sym's turrets have limited range, die in one hit from anything and really only wreck if you place them in a carwash (which most people don't do if they want to be good with her).

The thing is whatever she's doing is leading to people winning with her, so by definition she's more than "not worthless." Maybe she feels weak to you and that's fine but if anyone's win rate goes above a certain level they're going to need to nudge them down one way or another.

I will say though that I think her high winrate is less that she's better than other characters and more that people VERY VERY seldomly pick her at inappropriate times, unlike most of the rest of the roster.

That's a pretty specious argument. As you note later in your response, there are any number of reasons why Symettra's win-rate is where it is.

And she is objectively weaker. I'm not sure why there is disagreement here. And people talk about her win-rate like the other classes are in the toilet. She is by a wide margin my most played hero and her utility has been severely hampered. I played her for a few hours today and was thinking "What in the hell is going on here? Did everyone just get insanely better?"

It's not specious. She's literally winning 70% of the games she is picked in. People do not magically become better players or suddenly become more intelligent at picking heroes when it comes to her. She has a specific application, fine, but she's too good at it. One way or another something needs changing. The other heroes are not "in the toilet" as a whole but with the exception of Torbjorn the closest is Lucio with I believe 52%. That is a massive difference and an obvious problem.

*60%

the highest her winrate has been was like 68, shortly after release

it's been dropping as people realize you have to actually deal with her teleporters, and probably will continue to do so

*68%, on consoles, right now. Which is where the nerf has been applied and what we are discussing.

My symmetra quick play rating is 75% on PC. I usually win on A point, or lose with someone else on B.
    An useless Ultimate ability is a pretty good signal for changing the character.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm pretty confused by people calling Symmetra useless while she also has the highest win rate out of all heroes in competitive.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty confused by people calling Symmetra useless while she also has the highest win rate out of all heroes in competitive.

It's not that she's useless, it's that she's so obviously not a good match for certain situations that she doesn't get picked for those. Her win rate is high because she great when she's great, and nobody picks her when she isn't. It's not like with other characters, where people try to force them to work despite being a mismatch for the situation or not being very good with them. And she doesn't really get taken at all for attacking points or payloads, because either spawns move up and make her teleporter sort of useless, or the extremely defensive nature of her attacks and turrets means she can't really hurt anybody.

Her utility is pretty explicit and obvious, to the point that even pubs won't even take her when she isn't contributing.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Man, people still know how to deal with Dva's ult.

I gotta work more on doing the surprise booster deliveries.

People still aren't used to D.Va's immunity to her own ult. Landing on the point, ulting, then going on a pistol spree while the other team tries to scramble for cover is another way to supplement self destruct's elimination potential.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Ugh, twice now I've had competitive games fail due to 'an unexpected server error' and crash without giving either team a change.

Both times it has happened in the final round.

And to add insult to injury, both times I was winning.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/6keo8NZ0Beg

Nothing like cockblocking a Reaper ult.
    Sleep tight, Reap tight buddy!

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Kisidan wrote: »
    Ugh, twice now I've had competitive games fail due to 'an unexpected server error' and crash without giving either team a change.

Both times it has happened in the final round.

And to add insult to injury, both times I was winning.

I've been getting these in both quick play and bot matches. They always seem to happen on KotH maps, after the first point gets taken.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I feel like Blizzard needs to change some of its nerf approach to console versions of the game, since simply altering base statistics like damage and move speed don't really directly address the problem that turrets and sniping have on the console versions of Overwatch. eg. Players have inherently slower aiming control and reaction to what are essentially aimbotting doodads, it's a fundamental difference between a controller and a mouse and keyboard.

Maybe something like a longer delay between sighting and lock-on for Symmetra and Tobjorn turrets would level it out better. If player responsiveness is slower by nature, perhaps its best that these fire-and-forget abilities are less instant as well

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I assume tweaking turret behavior is a more complex knob to adjust due to the number of things that could possibly break.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I feel like Blizzard needs to change some of its nerf approach to console versions of the game, since simply altering base statistics like damage and move speed don't really directly address the problem that turrets and sniping have on the console versions of Overwatch. eg. Players have inherently slower aiming control and reaction to what are essentially aimbotting doodads, it's a fundamental difference between a controller and a mouse and keyboard.

Maybe something like a longer delay between sighting and lock-on for Symmetra and Tobjorn turrets would level it out better. If player responsiveness is slower by nature, perhaps its best that these fire-and-forget abilities are less instant as well

Snipers could use a bump to aim assist, or even bigger hitboxes. It's not because sniping is too hard, (even though for a lot of people it is) but just to fight the current attitude that a sniper is a wasted pick. If you're picking Widow, even in a good situation, a lot of times you have to 'prove' to your teammates that you can make the pick worthwhile, because there are so many bad snipers out there. Of course this might make the top tier console snipers too good, but something needs to happen.

Maybe just some arbitrary buffs to boost the perceived value of the sniper characters? I have no idea what to do.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/6keo8NZ0Beg

Nothing like cockblocking a Reaper ult.
    Sleep tight, Reap tight buddy!

My brother mains D.Va and the other day I watched him hold his defense matrix around an ulting Reaper. It was gorgeous.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Huh. Just found out there was a chest that gives you 500 gold and it was in my next loot box.

neat!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Still trying to get used to Dva. I feel like I'm never close enough to do real damage, but I suspect it is a byproduct of my default reaction to strafe and/or move backwards when dueling. I think I need to get force myself to walk forward with shield up into pointblank then unload.

Also played Genji for the first time in forever and did really well. I feel like every time I come back to Genji after not playing him for a while I play him a little better due to understanding the game more.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    There is nothing quite like putting an ulting McCree, Soldier, Roadhog, Pharah, Bastion, Genji, Winston, and Reaper, or a charging Reinhardt to sleep. You're in timeout Mister.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    I've been playing a lot of D-Va since release... and I think the new buffs take her waaaaaay too far.

It is ridiculous the amount of damage I can put out with her. I've gotten a ton of 3-4 person kills with her ult, too. Unless people hit from a wide angle, her defence matrix is just plain better than Rein shield - you can use it to completely negate several ults, and her boost gives her way better escape ability than Rein's charge (it recharges quicker and she can steer).

Unless I particularly want to team up with a Bastion teammate, I have yet to find a scenario where I'd like to take Rein over D-Va right now. I used to take Rein on defence and D-Va on offence. Now it is just D-Va both ways.

And I've climbed back from 39 to 45 in two days. I've lost one game in competitive since the changes.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Really? Cause I feel like Reinhardt provides more consistent protection over extended periods of time, compare to Dva. She can eliminate an entire rocket barrage, but he can block prolonged engagements with snipers, or a distant Bastion or Torb turret that just won't stop firing. She's better than him when there a ton of incoming fire all at once, but he's better when it's spread out. There are also specific shots that one can deal with and the other can't. Dva can shoot down Symmetra balls, whereas Reinhardt can block explosions.

That said, my favorite is when a team has both.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Reinhardt's shield is more consistent protection. D.Va's defence matrix is great, but you can only get up to four seconds of it at once and you often need more than that.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    If D.va's busy blocking the team she's not harassing snipers, turret nests or the backlines. You should still be annoying with D.va and get people to move and scatter so your team can move in.

Nothing quite as good as breaking a hold by going around their team and taking potshots at them until they send 2+ people after you so your team can actually get on the point.

• Options
    My win record begs to differ.

Sniper? Turret? They get one shot at me, or a teammate, then I boost up and kill them if I can - more often just chase them off and away before returning to the objective/capture point.

If there's both, one of my teammates has to deal with the other for a few seconds. On offence, in both cases, you have a MUCH slower respawn time than them in the opening engagements and it is way more hassle for them to get set up again than it is for you to push.

The only time I've had an issue is when dealing with a Bastion + Reinhardt + Turret all at once, and in that case I needed my team to actually come with me rather than run around in an uncoordinated mess. Then we cracked it.

I think people massively overestimate the amount of active blocking needed in most games. It is much more useful to have more damage, and in most engagements Reinhardt just doesn't have the range to contribute. D-Va's effective range isn't much bigger, but it is just that little bit more that helps.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    I feel like Reinhardt is a wall that the team can use to advance and D. Va is more precision protection. Eating critical enemy ults and making McCree feel bad.

Sledgehammer vs scalpel.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Kisidan wrote: »
    My win record begs to differ.

Sniper? Turret? They get one shot at me, or a teammate, then I boost up and kill them if I can - more often just chase them off and away before returning to the objective/capture point.

If there's both, one of my teammates has to deal with the other for a few seconds. On offence, in both cases, you have a MUCH slower respawn time than them in the opening engagements and it is way more hassle for them to get set up again than it is for you to push.

The only time I've had an issue is when dealing with a Bastion + Reinhardt + Turret all at once, and in that case I needed my team to actually come with me rather than run around in an uncoordinated mess. Then we cracked it.

I think people massively overestimate the amount of active blocking needed in most games. It is much more useful to have more damage, and in most engagements Reinhardt just doesn't have the range to contribute. D-Va's effective range isn't much bigger, but it is just that little bit more that helps.

Any tips about getting into the proper ranges to be effective?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    The Rein wall crumbles too easily though.

Especially on offence, I've lost count of the number of times I've had to sit there and watch as my shield just gets obliterated in a few seconds and my teammates fail to deal with the damage making me suffer.

D-Va can go 'haha, nope, I'm over here now' and her ult lets her reach out and destroy sniper nests.

On Defence, where you are less likely to run into Bastion, Torb and Junkrat he does better - but there's still a lot of ways to make him miserable and the enemy team have probably practised doing so a lot.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Every successful D.Va I see uses the defense matrix to close, and then it's pretty much over for turrets and snipers. I think a lot of it comes down to practice with her boost.

Occasionally the team will turn around and help out, but more often than not a D.Va that's in the back harassing is overlooked.

Even if you get the mech down, good luck hitting a zero suit with hanzo or widowmaker. At least on console.

Bubs on
    PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    I mean, don't get me wrong, D-Va isn't going to win the game on her own.

But she is now MORE than capable of being the anchor point a team needs on an objective, on both offence and defence AND she can do tons of damage in the opening salvo to break the enemy up.

I usually target the turret/snipers, then supports, then get back and sit on the objective, adding cover fire/protection from the surviving enemies.

I mean, my win rate with her has skyrocketed from 49% to 76% in the past week. Maybe that will balance out as people learn how to deal with the new changes, but I don't think it is crazy to suspect they went too far.

This discussion has been closed.