As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I suspect it's something like team-issued, with So-and-so (R)(TM) as the Official Luggage Sponsor to the GB Olympic Team!

Yeah, it's gotta be team issued (and required to use) luggage. If you look closely, the luggage pictured are not only the same color but the exact same two pieces of luggage.

Doing stuff like that actually makes logistics a shit ton easier when you're renting private aircraft for private flights and such.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I suspect it's something like team-issued, with So-and-so (R)(TM) as the Official Luggage Sponsor to the GB Olympic Team!

Yeah, it's gotta be team issued (and required to use) luggage. If you look closely, the luggage pictured are not only the same color but the exact same two pieces of luggage.

Looks like an Addidis logo in the top-left of the closer upright bag.

5z68xdwsg7cl.png

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2016
    Stupid copyright case gone right. (edit: well, not actually copyright, but...)

Background: artist claims he didn't create a certain painting, owner sued him for "damaging the value" of the painting.
    Artist Peter Doig, accused of damaging the value of a painting simply by denying that he was its creator, prevailed in court this week. U.S. District Judge Gary Feinerman found that there no evidence that Doig created the work, but plenty that it was by someone else: one Peter Doige, with an "e".

Doig maintained from the beginning that he was the victim of a opportunistic "scam" enabled by similarity of the two artists' names and the recent death of Doige. Meanwhile, the plaintiff claimed Doig was "embarrassed" by a juvenile work that happened to expose a youthful stint in prison [Doige, not Doig, was imprisoned.]

Echo on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Background: artist claims he didn't create a certain painting, owner sued him for "damaging the value" of the painting.
    Artist Peter Doig, accused of damaging the value of a painting simply by denying that he was its creator, prevailed in court this week. U.S. District Judge Gary Feinerman found that there no evidence that Doig created the work, but plenty that it was by someone else: one Peter Doige, with an "e".

Doig maintained from the beginning that he was the victim of a opportunistic "scam" enabled by similarity of the two artists' names and the recent death of Doige. Meanwhile, the plaintiff claimed Doig was "embarrassed" by a juvenile work that happened to expose a youthful stint in prison [Doige, not Doig, was imprisoned.]

Count me among those who are pissed the judge even allowed it to go to trial. The plaintiffs should be forced to cover every last dime of Doig's legal defense.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Count me among those who are pissed the judge even allowed it to go to trial. The plaintiffs should be forced to cover every last dime of Doig's legal defense.

Saw this story a couple weeks ago, poor shmuck thought he had his retirement in his hands and couldn't stand the fact that reality was crumbling around him.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Saw this story a couple weeks ago, poor shmuck thought he had his retirement in his hands and couldn't stand the fact that reality was crumbling around him.

That's too bad (I mean that really) but his lawsuit was more than just claiming that this artist made a painting he did not. He was also essentially claiming that this second, less important artist did not even exist. And that's really fucked up.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

That is one whole fuckload of bears!

• Options

That's too bad (I mean that really) but his lawsuit was more than just claiming that this artist made a painting he did not. He was also essentially claiming that this second, less important artist did not even exist. And that's really fucked up.

Yep, a complete dick move.

The not-famous artists sister repeatedly verified it as one of his and not one of the famous artists.

Stupid it ever went to court, should have just been a summary judgment.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    chromdom wrote: »

A sleuth of bears, apparently.
    I love collective nouns for animals, many are absolutely hilarious. This is ok, not spectacular.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    We got the group names for crows and bears backwards, it seems.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I don't know, bears are more likely kill you but crows will murder you. It's the motivation and planning that makes the difference.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I don't know, bears are more likely kill you but crows will murder you. It's the motivation and planning that makes the difference.

Corvids are pretty smart, if they are attacking you it's because you did something to piss them off.

But they can be generous to their friends.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    If I didn't live in an apartment complex , I would like to try to befriend some crows. It just seems like a really cool (and easy) way to interact with nature on its own terms.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

More than you realize. When an inmate creates a work of art, they tend to have programs through the prison that can sell it for them. They get some of the money and the rest goes to stuff like the Inmate Welfare Fund. However, it's not uncommon for a CO or other staff member to take advantage of said programs to get their hands on the art for cheap. Then they wait a while and turn around to sell it for a profit. This is likely what the CO was trying to do.

• Options

Corvids are pretty smart, if they are attacking you it's because you did something to piss them off.

Crows are one of the most amazing animals on the planet.

I wish I could befriend some, but I had a crazy catlady die in my immediate some time ago, and the billion cats that were released from her house have bred into even greater numbers. Which means no goddamn birds.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Crows are one of the most amazing animals on the planet.

I wish I could befriend some, but I had a crazy catlady die in my immediate some time ago, and the billion cats that were released from her house have bred into even greater numbers. Which means no goddamn birds.

I love crows and other corvids. I never noticed them before, but after really getting informed on their capabilities, you can almost see their little minds ticking away on problems if you observe them.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Corvids are the best. Plenty of crows and ravens around here, I live next to a forest where a bunch of them have nests.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Siska wrote: »

Fine. You win. I clicked it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    The officer's concern over the laser and nonplussed attitude about the sex is so far from the US it sounds fabricated.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Sex is fine but lasers are bad. What is this, a 1960s sci-fi movie?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Lasers can cause blindness.
    Sex (usually) can't.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Lasers can cause blindness.
    Sex (usually) can't.

Masturbation can.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Siska wrote: »

So, spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't clicked on this story.
    It's not, in any way shape or form, spoiling a new pokemon in SuMo.

Really had my hopes up for a laser sex pig pokemon.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    The officer's concern over the laser and nonplussed attitude about the sex is so far from the US it sounds fabricated.

That's Swedish law. Note that he would probably have been a lot more upset if the couple had been standing by the road and exposing their genitals at passerbys. Public sex is viewed as merely kinky, while exposure is viewed as a deviancy.

The Laser on the hand is viewed as attempted assault, which might result in up to two years in prison (although in a case like this I would be surprised at anything over 6 months).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cross-posted from the NFL thread because of, well, public batsex on an active NFL gridiron:

Congratulations, bats - you have put all of us to shame with your sexual deviance.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    When I opened this thread I did not expect to see a post regarding chiroptera mating.

So it was surprise batsex.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/pBnCCz1qOs4

Very. Lucky. Dog.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    DOJ creates a video on how cops can ask transgender individuals if they prefer "ma'am" or "sir".

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/25/doj-police-training-video-transgender-interactions/

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DOJ creates a video on how cops can ask transgender individuals if they prefer "ma'am" or "sir". Presumably the speaker is from the south and speaks really slowly, resulting in the 13 minutes.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/25/doj-police-training-video-transgender-interactions/

This video is really great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    DOJ creates a video on how cops can ask transgender individuals if they prefer "ma'am" or "sir". Presumably the speaker is from the south and speaks really slowly, resulting in the 13 minutes.

Did you... did you even read the article or watch the video? Or did you just assume anything the police do must be terrible?
    narrated by a well-regarded former supervisor of the Metropolitan Police Department’s gay and lesbian liaison unit in the District of Columbia

DC is the south?

Edit: This is beyond the fact that, as Shadowfire pointed out, it was a really good and informative video to be used by police departments across the country in training for non-emergency contact with transgendered persons.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Yeah they did a nice job. Cuts it down to just be brief and courteous, treat everyone like a person and it will go better for everyone.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Thank the gods they disabled comments on that video.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think it's also to our credit as a society that transgender people are getting normalized and offered this kind of dignity and respect from the non-terrible corners of our population so quickly. Especially when compared to the timescales on things like gender, race and sexual orientation are taking to get done.

The last few years have been a whirlwind on this issue, in a good way for the most part.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Did you... did you even read the article or watch the video? Or did you just assume anything the police do must be terrible?
    narrated by a well-regarded former supervisor of the Metropolitan Police Department’s gay and lesbian liaison unit in the District of Columbia

DC is the south?

Edit: This is beyond the fact that, as Shadowfire pointed out, it was a really good and informative video to be used by police departments across the country in training for non-emergency contact with transgendered persons.

I was making a joke about taking 13 minutes to explain how to say "ma'am" or "sir".

Sorry if that didn't come across. I think it is great and hope a lot of depts. watch it. Probably a good majority of companies could benefit from watching it as well.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/VlCQ2pBob5Q

...and now I want to know more about Russian knight fighting.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jesus christ, how do they not die? I get the whole no stabby thing (swords looked pretty dull), but those shield hits to the head cant be good regardless of how much padding you may have.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

DC is the south?

I was making a joke about taking 13 minutes to explain how to say "ma'am" or "sir".

Sorry if that didn't come across. I think it is great and hope a lot of depts. watch it. Probably a good majority of companies could benefit from watching it as well.

Yeah, sorry, see it now. I think the context of this thread threw me off. I don't think of this thread as being the place to share genuinely good things done right.

This discussion has been closed.