Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mainly I don't want Science Teacher dude to not die. There was one moment in S1 that I really thought he was going to bite it.

Monster.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I want to edit that typo now, but the TOTP quote is going to haunt me forever. Science teacher's one of my favorite secondary characters in fiction.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    How has nobody posted the video of the cast watching the trailer air during the game? For shame!

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/news/a20438/stranger-things-season-2-cast-reaction/

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I want to edit that typo now, but the TOTP quote is going to haunt me forever. Science teacher's one of my favorite secondary characters in fiction.

Yes, I've immortalized your true dark desire forever, and your avatar and name displaying an obvious love for sciency-geekery aren't fooling anyone.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    I hope the kids' D&D-loving Science teacher gets a bigger role in Season 2.

I hope his girlfriend has lines.
    metaghost wrote: »
    I hope the kids' D&D-loving Science teacher gets a bigger role in Season 2.

I hope his girlfriend has lines.

She had lines. Real curvy lines. Science teacher got game.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I wonder if that thing in the teaser is actually a creature. All we see is a silhouette. It could be a structure. Maybe it pumps toxic chemicals from underground into the atmosphere, poisoning the air and blacking out the sky, it could also be causing the red lightning. It could be a hive where other creatures breed and grow. Maybe something in the Upside Down built/grew it to open the doorway into the regular world or merge the two worlds.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I do like Stranger Things a lot.

One of my favorite things about it is its set in the 80s and feels like it's actually set in the 80s, instead of within memes created about the 80s (Kung Fury).

• Options
    I wonder if that thing in the teaser is actually a creature. All we see is a silhouette. It could be a structure. Maybe it pumps toxic chemicals from underground into the atmosphere, poisoning the air and blacking out the sky, it could also be causing the red lightning. It could be a hive where other creatures breed and grow. Maybe something in the Upside Down built/grew it to open the doorway into the regular world or merge the two worlds.

Why can't we ever break into a dimension that's nice? It's always somewhere filled with monsters that are really keen to invade our world. It's never somewhere the inhabitants go 'Hey, we eat toxic waste, do you guys have any you want to get rid of? We'll trade you for this synthetic heroin that's good for you.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Why can't we ever break into a dimension that's nice? It's always somewhere filled with monsters that are really keen to invade our world. It's never somewhere the inhabitants go 'Hey, we eat toxic waste, do you guys have any you want to get rid of? We'll trade you for this synthetic heroin that's good for you.'

There is an Asimov book about this. Connection to other universe let us swap elements that are stable in ours with stuff that isn't in ours but is in theirs. Infinite energy.
    the exchange was slowly leading to the destruction of both universes but nobody wanted to stop and give up free energy.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Anthropic Principle. We live in this universe because it is the best one for us. All other universes suck

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Nah this one kinda sucks too.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Well yeah, but less than all the other nearby universes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Well, we now know that they were only trying to save us from the Trump presidency by giving us a quick death.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The novel Finity by John Barnes had another take on this. Basically, we're actually all unstable and constantly randomly jumping from one universe to the next. Except they're the result of the "each decision creates multiple universes" theory, so the only difference between them is some trivial detail somewhere and they're functionally identical universes, so we don't realize we're jumping. But every once in a while someone randomly jumps to a drastically different universe where their life (and even society) is completely different, and they're fucked.

The novel was boring, but the premise was really cool.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    It would be interesting if the Upside Down is less of a true parallel dimension (it seems more like a dark reflection of our world than an alternate version of it) and more of a sort of crossroads between dimensions. So sure, some hostile stuff might come through, but there might be some other stuff as well. Beings that might be weird and illogical, but not necessarily hostile. Or possibly even beings hostile to each other. Maybe even a few that are benevolent.

You could also get really oddball with it. Imagine a season where some of the kids stumble through the Upside Down into a dimension that is their D&D game. The other kids have to help them out by continuing to play, with their rolls and decisions affecting the other dimension.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    It would be interesting if the Upside Down is less of a true parallel dimension (it seems more like a dark reflection of our world than an alternate version of it) and more of a sort of crossroads between dimensions. So sure, some hostile stuff might come through, but there might be some other stuff as well. Beings that might be weird and illogical, but not necessarily hostile. Or possibly even beings hostile to each other. Maybe even a few that are benevolent.

You could also get really oddball with it. Imagine a season where some of the kids stumble through the Upside Down into a dimension that is their D&D game. The other kids have to help them out by continuing to play, with their rolls and decisions affecting the other dimension.

Nah, I want to see them find the benevolent dimension for which we are the dark evil dimension.

"This is the Rust Belt, we call it that because the number one industry is converting rust into clean electricity for our electric cars. This is such a prosperous industry that these states have 100% employment and some of the highest salaries in the USA. Oh look, through the all-window wall of the factory you can see the all-you-can-eat ice cream parlor in the free National Dodo-Bird & Mammoth Park! I love to go there for walks with my pet panda and my partner of whichever gender I choose. But please, tell me about your Rust Belt!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The Upside Down always felt like a remarkably true representation of the Plane of Shadow to me, which is fitting considering the main characters' hobby. Constant gloom and representative of the real world except with twisted differences.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    BSoB wrote: »

There is an Asimov book about this. Connection to other universe let us swap elements that are stable in ours with stuff that isn't in ours but is in theirs. Infinite energy.
    the exchange was slowly leading to the destruction of both universes but nobody wanted to stop and give up free energy.

Now see, that sounds nice and *reads spoiler* god dammit.
    Richy wrote: »
    Nah, I want to see them find the benevolent dimension for which we are the dark evil dimension.

The Terry Pratchett/Stephen Baxter series Long Earth sort've has elements of that. Humans discover how to travel to alternate Earths with the push of a button, but they're all Earths where humans didn't evolve, so they're filled with forests and giant sloths and things. Humanity basically starts blundering through alternate Earths and tapping them for resources, causing various problems (mainly for themselves) more through thoughtlessness than malice.
    On one alternate, a human accidentally releases a mobile replicator machine that was programmed to produce copies of Shakespeare's work. The replicator bugs out and replicates itself as well, and eventually the alternate Earth is buried under replicators and Shakespeare and humans have to be careful to 'detour' around it when traveling.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I remember reading a book with an earth that discovered the technology to see into parallel earths and they use it to copy every new technology and media, and basically every new idea the other earths have. And since there are infinite earths, that earth didn't ever have to create anything of their own since they can get a wealth of new stuff to copy with every new earth they find. I don't remember the title of the book, it might have been a comic.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Other dimensions are horrifying because they have fundamentally different rules than ours.

We evolved to survive on this planet in this dimension, and ultimately have essentially pacified it with the exception of really large scale stuff.

Anywhere that this isn't true is going to be varying degrees of more horrifying than here. The moon is incredibly hostile to humans by comparison to the earth, for example. Now alter some basic laws of physics and the composition ratios of the fundamental elements of the cosmos and see how it goes.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Other dimensions are horrifying because they have fundamentally different rules than ours.

We evolved to survive on this planet in this dimension, and ultimately have essentially pacified it with the exception of really large scale stuff.

Anywhere that this isn't true is going to be varying degrees of more horrifying than here. The moon is incredibly hostile to humans by comparison to the earth, for example. Now alter some basic laws of physics and the composition ratios of the fundamental elements of the cosmos and see how it goes.

Like australia

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's triggering some forgotten nightmare or what but the spindly silhouette lit up by the red flashes is absolutely horrifying to me.

Can't wait for this.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Like australia

Australia's up there with xenomorph homeworld and metal hydrogen core of a gas giant

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Like australia

Australia's up there with xenomorph homeworld and metal hydrogen core of a gas giant

I prefer to think of it just as living on Catachan.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    My question about the upside down is "how does stuff get where it is?"

Like, there are cars and shit parked in the Upside Down. But they weren't always parked there. Some of them should even be in motion, but they're not. Whenever characters went over there, everything was just static.

So if we built a new building in our reality, when does it appear in the Upside Down? What if it gets demolished? Does it just suddenly blow up in the Upside Down as well?

RT800 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was under the impression that it seemed to be more like... a tangible shadow. Maybe the same way 'the upside down' bled through into our world, our world was bleeding through into theirs.

The former being sort of a growth/vine/whatever it is, the latter a copy or reflection, but imperfect (empty swimming pool, infested structures, and so on).

Maybe it's something they'll investigate more in Season 2.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The Upside Down is remarkably like the Shadowlands in Wraith: The Oblivion. Will's capabilities while there are very similar to a wraith with minor manifestations.

The Demogorgon is thus a Spectre that feeds off of strong emotions such as fear until it becomes powerful enough to manifest in the physical world.

Eleven is a Prime/Forces/Correspondences mage and the teenagers are Hunters (Steve is Zeal, Nancy and Jonathan are Vision). That's why the teens can hurt the creature when gunmen can't: they heard the call.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it seemed to be more like... a tangible shadow. Maybe the same way 'the upside down' bled through into our world, our world was bleeding through into theirs.

The former being sort of a growth/vine/whatever it is, the latter a copy or reflection, but imperfect (empty swimming pool, infested structures, and so on).

Maybe it's something they'll investigate more in Season 2.

Oh. I kinda like the idea that it takes time for stuff to bleed over so only static stuff like buildings or abandoned cars would. Like the way you'd have s shadow in the ground if you left something out for years in the sun.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »

Like, there are cars and shit parked in the Upside Down. But they weren't always parked there. Some of them should even be in motion, but they're not. Whenever characters went over there, everything was just static.

So if we built a new building in our reality, when does it appear in the Upside Down? What if it gets demolished? Does it just suddenly blow up in the Upside Down as well?

I went into this more last page, but my theory is that at the moment it was connected with our world, a copy of our world was projected into it. Only stuff that was relatively motionless was copied - buildings, trees, etc. Animals weren't copied, and neither was water - too much inherent motion, too chaotic to be 'captured' by the copying. So nothing that changes in our world (cars being moved etc) after the initial copying will be reflected there, and vice versa. All the gooey organic growth is either what was already there or a result of other world(s) also being 'imprinted' into the Upside Down.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

I'm still going with the idea that the Upside Down is a world where the US fought a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. The sun is blocked out due to nuclear winter. The atmosphere is toxic because of fallout. The creatures are mutated lifeforms. It could be a parallel earth or it could be their earth many years into the future.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it I should probably spoiler things.
    I'm pretty well convinced that the Upside Down is some kind of interdimensional border space that is constantly having stuff filter in from myriad other worlds. Earth's landscape is prominent there only because Eleven opened a fissure into it, causing more of our world to leak into it. This would also probably mean that a lot of the alien...stuff in the Upside Down isn't related to each other but instead is mutually alien.

The demogorgon, for instance, I'm thinking is some kind of psychic predator from a completely different place which just used the Upside Down as a way to find new worlds to hunt in. I'm also not yet convinced those slug-snake things are directly related to it in a life-cycle sort of way. I think they might be some kind of parasite that the demogorgon was either farming for itself (seems unlikely) or maybe was infected by and was being influenced into helping breed more of.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Upside Down is remarkably like the Shadowlands in Wraith: The Oblivion. Will's capabilities while there are very similar to a wraith with minor manifestations.

The Demogorgon is thus a Spectre that feeds off of strong emotions such as fear until it becomes powerful enough to manifest in the physical world.

Eleven is a Prime/Forces/Correspondences mage and the teenagers are Hunters (Steve is Zeal, Nancy and Jonathan are Vision). That's why the teens can hurt the creature when gunmen can't: they heard the call.

I figured the same, but with the Umbra from werewolf, which is a step between the Shadowlands and the real world. But basically it's a space that psychically manifests objects, too, if those objects are infused with enough emotion/psychic energy. So not everything is there, but the classic car that was beloved by someone is parked on the street, etc.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it I should probably spoiler things.
    I'm pretty well convinced that the Upside Down is some kind of interdimensional border space that is constantly having stuff filter in from myriad other worlds. Earth's landscape is prominent there only because Eleven opened a fissure into it, causing more of our world to leak into it. This would also probably mean that a lot of the alien...stuff in the Upside Down isn't related to each other but instead is mutually alien.

The demogorgon, for instance, I'm thinking is some kind of psychic predator from a completely different place which just used the Upside Down as a way to find new worlds to hunt in. I'm also not yet convinced those slug-snake things are directly related to it in a life-cycle sort of way. I think they might be some kind of parasite that the demogorgon was either farming for itself (seems unlikely) or maybe was infected by and was being influenced into helping breed more of.
    My leading theory on that was that the demogorgon isn't from the upside down at all, but is rather a ... sanitation worker that cleans up the in-between worlds. Or perhaps a parasite that consumes entire dimensions. When eleven encounters him, he's in a completely empty space but he's feeding. Later, when the upside down is visited by the others, we definitely see eggs an stuff that are unexplained.

Alternatively, everyone perceives the upside down slightly differently. Eleven seems to see it super barebones because she's so psychically sensitive. Maybe she perceives what's really there, or otherwise doesn't have to construct stuff to conceptualize it. Everyone else can't handle viewing the dimension, so they're only able to perceive parts of it in terms of what they know, thus they manifest stuff.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Everyone SAYS the demogorgon...
    is in an empty space when Eleven finds it, but we don't actually know that. The Russians she was saying on showed up in the exact same kind of place.

Where the demogorgon actually WAS when she first made contact with it hasn't actually been established. It could have been in the upside down, or it could have been...across?...the upside down on the Other Side.

I don't really have a stake in it. But I hops the creators actually have a grasp on the universe's cosmology so we don't get another Lost 'yeah, we' very, ah, totally got the whole thing planned out in a cohesive way. We're absolutely NOT just tossing random shit at the wall..." situation.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    is in an empty space when Eleven finds it, but we don't actually know that. The Russians she was saying on showed up in the exact same kind of place.

Where the demogorgon actually WAS when she first made contact with it hasn't actually been established. It could have been in the upside down, or it could have been...across?...the upside down on the Other Side.

I don't really have a stake in it. But I hops the creators actually have a grasp on the universe's cosmology so we don't get another Lost 'yeah, we' very, ah, totally got the whole thing planned out in a cohesive way. We're absolutely NOT just tossing random shit at the wall..." situation.

Don't worry, the show's creators are D&D nerds. I guarantee you that they have the entire cosmology written up already, probably in spiral college ruled notebooks, with graph paper to depict the dungeo... er, the sets. There is no fuckin' chance that they're pulling this out of their asses as they go.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I'm still going with the idea that the Upside Down is a world where the US fought a nuclear war with the Soviet Union. The sun is blocked out due to nuclear winter. The atmosphere is toxic because of fallout. The creatures are mutated lifeforms. It could be a parallel earth or it could be their earth many years into the future.
    The Upside Down doesn't seem to be a straight up parallel world, where history diverged. It reflects the "real" world in various ways. Things created during the events of the show appear there. For example, when Joyce assembles the Christmas lights in our world, they show up in the Upside Down and Will is able to manipulate them to speak with her. There's no Joyce in that reality, so clearly the lights didn't show up there until they were put up here, like some sort of echo. This suggests the Upside Down is more of a "spirit world." Some other layer of our reality, or our reality viewed through some sort of warped lens.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »

Don't worry, the show's creators are D&D nerds. I guarantee you that they have the entire cosmology written up already, probably in spiral college ruled notebooks, with graph paper to depict the dungeo... er, the sets. There is no fuckin' chance that they're pulling this out of their asses as they go.

One of the Duffer bros said that they have a 30 page doc just detailing the upside down and how it works.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options

I notice though that nothing from other dimensions ever seems to find our world horribly unlivable. We go to some other dimension and we're breathing acid, we hate it. They come here and they love it. The eldritch abomination never slithers through the portal and then immediately suffocates, or explodes because the gravity is all wrong. They're gonna make this place their dang summer home.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

The Upside Down doesn't seem to be a straight up parallel world, where history diverged. It reflects the "real" world in various ways. Things created during the events of the show appear there. For example, when Joyce assembles the Christmas lights in our world, they show up in the Upside Down and Will is able to manipulate them to speak with her. There's no Joyce in that reality, so clearly the lights didn't show up there until they were put up here, like some sort of echo. This suggests the Upside Down is more of a "spirit world." Some other layer of our reality, or our reality viewed through some sort of warped lens.
    There were no Christmas lights in the Upside Down. In the last episode when Joyce and Hopper were in the Upside Down, they went to Joyce's house after Jonathan, Nancy, and Steve fought off the Demogorgon. They cut between the Upside Down and the "regular" world, there were no Christmas lights in the Upside Down. Joyce and Hopper just caused lights in the "regular" world to turn on by their presence.

• Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

I would be interested in reading that book.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow