Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yep, looks like a tease for an upcoming Stranger Things Season 2 commercial during the Superb Owl.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, -11 to 11. That's quite strange!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    There are stranger things in the neighborhood. Who you gonna call?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yep, looks like a tease for an upcoming Stranger Things Season 2 commercial during the Superb Owl.

Superb Owl is my newest favorite thing.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Welcome to PA.

We have our own language here.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Welcome to PA.

We have our own language here.
    I have no idea what you silly geese are talking about. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Didn't Colbert start that back when the NFL was giving people shit about using anything that referred to the Superb Owl without paying steep royalties or something?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So I finally got around to watching this, and my number one question is
    Why is there only one monster in the Upside Down? What kind of ecosystem has only one animal? How does it reproduce? Where did it come from?

Also, I guess we're just assuming no one in Hawkings, save for Will and Barb, cut or injured themselves or bled in any way during the time between when the monster got the ability to jump dimensions and the moment Eleven destroyed it? Otherwise wouldn't the monster be popping up all over the place?

Also also, was will actually injured and bleeding in the first episode when he got kidnapped by the Monster? Because I didn't notice it, but otherwise why would he have gotten taken to the Upside Down?

sig.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Also, I guess we're just assuming no one in Hawkings, save for Will and Barb, cut or injured themselves or bled in any way during the time between when the monster got the ability to jump dimensions and the moment Eleven destroyed it? Otherwise wouldn't the monster be popping up all over the place?
    They mention that other people have gone missing as well at one point.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    On the monster's vulnerability
    Why was the thing basically unharmed by a squad of five guys with guns in close range yet it seemed to get hurt by the baseball bat and fire?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why was the thing basically unharmed by a squad of five guys with guns in close range yet it seemed to get hurt by the baseball bat and fire?

That's the one thing I don't really get either.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Maybe just poking holes through it doesn't damage anything vital, but crushing or burning large amounts of tissue does? I dunno.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

I think it's just a matter of using RPG-logic:
    Imagine that the monster's character sheet explicitly states a resistance to firearms, but notes weakness to blunt weapons and fire; additionally, assume the protagonists receive some bonus when fighting interdimensional beings.

• Options
    On the upside-down
    Where do the buildings come from? When we build something in our world, does it just "appear" in the Upside Down? What about the objects (like the spices in the spice rack in the Upside-Down Byers house), how do they get there? Where do they go when someone in the real world takes them away?

Also, is there an inverse relationship? For example the wood fort was destroyed in the Upside Down, so was it also destroyed in the real world?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Imagine that the monster's character sheet explicitly states a resistance to firearms, but notes weakness to blunt weapons and fire; additionally, assume the protagonists receive some bonus when fighting interdimensional beings.

I suppose that would make sense, considering

(2015 video game related)
    Until Dawn's monsters were similar; skin like armor that had to be burned away, with bullets doing nothing more than stunning them.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    On the upside-down
    Where do the buildings come from? When we build something in our world, does it just "appear" in the Upside Down? What about the objects (like the spices in the spice rack in the Upside-Down Byers house), how do they get there? Where do they go when someone in the real world takes them away?

Also, is there an inverse relationship? For example the wood fort was destroyed in the Upside Down, so was it also destroyed in the real world?

My theory is this
    The Upside-Down isn't actually a true alternate world, but the space between alternate worlds. It was originally empty, without anything in it. When the rift was torn open by Eleven, it connected our world with another, and at the instant that occurred elements from both worlds mixed together to form the Upside-Down world. I kind've liken it to photography, where at the moment the rift was made a 'flash-imprint' of our world was overlaid onto an imprint of the other - hence why there's elements of both worlds all mixed up. Buildings and vehicles were duplicated into the Upside-Down at the moment of the rift, but anything that changes in our world after that instant will not be duplicated. Those cars won't move if their original counterpart is moved, for example. There was no winch mechanism in the rift chamber before the rift occurred, so the one installed there after the rift opened will not have a counterpart in the Upside-Down.

Also, anything that has too much inherent motion when the rift occurred won't be copied over. Inanimate objects, constructs, and trees are copied. Animals with their more active biology are apparently not copied over. Also remember that the swimming pool in the Upside-Down was empty, so I imagine water isn't copied over either - too fluid, too chaotic to be captured. All that goopy shit and growth covering everything comes from the other universe, its elements overlaid and intertwined with ours.

This would imply that just as there's a rift connecting our world to the Upside-Down, there may be another rift connecting the Upside-Down to the true alternate world, which would be even more alien and inhospitable than the Upside-Down. Presumably, the demogorgon came through that rift and began poking around in the Upside-Down until it figured out how to come through. And if creatures like that can come from the other world, then likely even nastier stuff can too.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    On the upside-down

My theory is this
    The Upside-Down isn't actually a true alternate world, but the space between alternate worlds. It was originally empty, without anything in it. When the rift was torn open by Eleven, it connected our world with another, and at the instant that occurred elements from both worlds mixed together to form the Upside-Down world. I kind've liken it to photography, where at the moment the rift was made a 'flash-imprint' of our world was overlaid onto an imprint of the other - hence why there's elements of both worlds all mixed up. Buildings and vehicles were duplicated into the Upside-Down at the moment of the rift, but anything that changes in our world after that instant will not be duplicated. Those cars won't move if their original counterpart is moved, for example. There was no winch mechanism in the rift chamber before the rift occurred, so the one installed there after the rift opened will not have a counterpart in the Upside-Down.

Also, anything that has too much inherent motion when the rift occurred won't be copied over. Inanimate objects, constructs, and trees are copied. Animals with their more active biology are apparently not copied over. Also remember that the swimming pool in the Upside-Down was empty, so I imagine water isn't copied over either - too fluid, too chaotic to be captured. All that goopy shit and growth covering everything comes from the other universe, its elements overlaid and intertwined with ours.

This would imply that just as there's a rift connecting our world to the Upside-Down, there may be another rift connecting the Upside-Down to the true alternate world, which would be even more alien and inhospitable than the Upside-Down. Presumably, the demogorgon came through that rift and began poking around in the Upside-Down until it figured out how to come through. And if creatures like that can come from the other world, then likely even nastier stuff can too.
    Makes sense.
    In the flashbacks to before El opened the rift, it was just mostly blackness and a watery floor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    On the upside-down

My theory is this

So in your theory, how did
    Will use the lights and letters his mom painted on the wall to communicate with her? That was painted on well after the rift was created, so they shouldn't have existed in the Upside Down, right?

For that matter, how did that entire scene happen at all?
    How did Will flash the lights once for yes and twice for no to respond to his mom? That was the only time we've ever seen someone in the Upside Down be able to directly interact with the real world, or be able to control lights deliberately rather than unwittingly by walking near them, or be able to hear someone in the real world well enough to have a conversation with them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I took that to be some electrical thing...if somebody in the upside-down goes near a electronic device, a weird connection is formed. I figured Will was touching the lights in the upside-down.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    On the upside-down

My theory is this

Will use the lights and letters his mom painted on the wall to communicate with her? That was painted on well after the rift was created, so they shouldn't have existed in the Upside Down, right?

How did Will flash the lights once for yes and twice for no to respond to his mom? That was the only time we've ever seen someone in the Upside Down be able to directly interact with the real world, or be able to control lights deliberately rather than unwittingly by walking near them, or be able to hear someone in the real world well enough to have a conversation with them.

Good question.
    It's possible that entities in the Upside-Down can perceive entities on Earth to some degree. The fact that lights flicker when an entity in the Upside-Down passes near where electrical systems exist on Earth indicates there is some degree of overlap - the major rift in the facility and the smaller rifts appearing around the area could have left the fabric between dimensions thin, allowing distortions from one dimension to affect things in another. That would explain why the lights wig out when either Will or the demogorgon pass near them.

The demogorgon at least can do this - it seems to know when someone is there and comes through to attack them. Personally I think the 'it smells blood' idea is a little goofy - how could it detect blood through dimensions? I think it's much more likely that its sensing something else - violence, fear, pain, desperation, etc. It's definitely psionic - that's why Eleven noticed it in the first place when she first started using her powers to sense other minds. Point is, it's possible to be in one dimension and perceive entities in the other. It might even be possible to perceive physical differences between dimensions, so Will could perceive that lights and letters and things were going up in the Earth-version of his house, and realize that he was causing lights to flicker.

For Will in particular - well, this is all speculation. But Will's strong connection with his mother might have something to do with his ability to communicate with her. He can perceive her message, he can contact her through phonelines, he knows that he can cause lights to flicker and uses this to operate her 'message board'. It's not necessarily all huggy-wuggy-power-of-luv stuff either - there may be a psionic component to it. Will might have some latent power, or just being in the Upside-Down might allow any human to psionically connect to someone if they want to strongly enough. It might not allow them full-blown telepathic communication, but just enhance their perception enough to know what's happening on Earth. That might also be how Will was able to 'phone home' - his psionic connection was bolstered by the electrical system of the phones.

I can't remember if there's ever a scene in the Upside-Down version of Will's house that shows the lights and message being there. If there is, that could be a monkey wrench in my theory. Though possible explanation for that would be that the minor rifts opening around the area 'refresh' the initial flash-imprint of the Upside-Down - therefore if a new rift opens, any differences between the dimensions are 'updated' and the Upside-Down will get a load of new elements, i.e. the position of objects changed, new objects placed in the environment, etc.

Though the communication stuff isn't really tied to my earlier theory at all - that was just about why there's a bunch of Earth crap in the alternate dimension. Whether I'm right about that or not doesn't really have any bearing at all on how communication works between the two dimensions via Earth's electrics.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I felt pretty confident that Will is a latent psychic type and that was why he was better at surviving, some communication happened, etc. I also think that's why his tree fort was so defined, it was a psychic fortress invested in emotionally by him.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Yessssss!

Can't wait to dig back into this in... ~10 months. >.<

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I suppose that would make sense, considering

(2015 video game related)
    Until Dawn's monsters were similar; skin like armor that had to be burned away, with bullets doing nothing more than stunning them.

I think much like Pennywise, it's less to do with the type of weapon used and more to do with who is using it. If the upside down is impacted/formed by the intent of creatures in adjacent universes, maybe the exposure to Eleven gave an extra large footprint/impact to the intent of those around her?

Slingshots and asthma inhalers become powerful weapons.

Edit: MMM phone autofill.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I know that's supposed to be the Thessalhydra but it looks more like Lolth.

• Options
    I know that's supposed to be the Thessalhydra but it looks more like Lolth.

That'll be season 3.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Theory on the potential Season 2 monster:
    Brenner told Joyce that six people were taken into the Upside-Down, but we only ever see Will alive. What if the Demogorgon was collecting people to infect with those slug parasites in order to transform them into the Thessalhydra? We never see the Demogorgon actually eat people; despite it grabbing Barb and her screams going silent, Eleven sees her body seemingly intact. Hydras have around 8 heads, typically, so it'd need a good amount of people to each become a "head", and we know Will has got something going on with the slugs.

• Options
    On the upside-down

My theory is this

Good question.
    It's possible that entities in the Upside-Down can perceive entities on Earth to some degree. The fact that lights flicker when an entity in the Upside-Down passes near where electrical systems exist on Earth indicates there is some degree of overlap - the major rift in the facility and the smaller rifts appearing around the area could have left the fabric between dimensions thin, allowing distortions from one dimension to affect things in another. That would explain why the lights wig out when either Will or the demogorgon pass near them.

The demogorgon at least can do this - it seems to know when someone is there and comes through to attack them. Personally I think the 'it smells blood' idea is a little goofy - how could it detect blood through dimensions? I think it's much more likely that its sensing something else - violence, fear, pain, desperation, etc. It's definitely psionic - that's why Eleven noticed it in the first place when she first started using her powers to sense other minds. Point is, it's possible to be in one dimension and perceive entities in the other. It might even be possible to perceive physical differences between dimensions, so Will could perceive that lights and letters and things were going up in the Earth-version of his house, and realize that he was causing lights to flicker.

For Will in particular - well, this is all speculation. But Will's strong connection with his mother might have something to do with his ability to communicate with her. He can perceive her message, he can contact her through phonelines, he knows that he can cause lights to flicker and uses this to operate her 'message board'. It's not necessarily all huggy-wuggy-power-of-luv stuff either - there may be a psionic component to it. Will might have some latent power, or just being in the Upside-Down might allow any human to psionically connect to someone if they want to strongly enough. It might not allow them full-blown telepathic communication, but just enhance their perception enough to know what's happening on Earth. That might also be how Will was able to 'phone home' - his psionic connection was bolstered by the electrical system of the phones.

I can't remember if there's ever a scene in the Upside-Down version of Will's house that shows the lights and message being there. If there is, that could be a monkey wrench in my theory. Though possible explanation for that would be that the minor rifts opening around the area 'refresh' the initial flash-imprint of the Upside-Down - therefore if a new rift opens, any differences between the dimensions are 'updated' and the Upside-Down will get a load of new elements, i.e. the position of objects changed, new objects placed in the environment, etc.

Though the communication stuff isn't really tied to my earlier theory at all - that was just about why there's a bunch of Earth crap in the alternate dimension. Whether I'm right about that or not doesn't really have any bearing at all on how communication works between the two dimensions via Earth's electrics.
    But how did Will figure out he can make lights flicker? No one else is ever seen to do that willingly. Only accidentally by walking near them, and they never even seem to be aware they're doing it. And for that matter, they affect lights in a radius around them. Wouldn't Will reaching out to one light on the wall cause a bunch of them to flicker as well?

And thinking about that message, "RUN". The only way he would know the Demogorgon is about to switch dimensions and attack his mother is if it's right there with him in the living room while he's writing the message. And he's not exactly hidden if he's reaching up on the wall to write that message. So wouldn't the Demogorgon attack him?

sig.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Teaser looks amazing of course, incredibly stoked... but Halloween? gadayum that's a long ways aways.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah... that teaser got me hyped as fuck. Halloween is so dang far away though!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    On the upside-down

My theory is this

Good question.

But how did Will figure out he can make lights flicker? No one else is ever seen to do that willingly. Only accidentally by walking near them, and they never even seem to be aware they're doing it. And for that matter, they affect lights in a radius around them. Wouldn't Will reaching out to one light on the wall cause a bunch of them to flicker as well?

And thinking about that message, "RUN". The only way he would know the Demogorgon is about to switch dimensions and attack his mother is if it's right there with him in the living room while he's writing the message. And he's not exactly hidden if he's reaching up on the wall to write that message. So wouldn't the Demogorgon attack him?

I 'unno.
    Might lend credence to the idea that Will has some degree of psionic potential. It lets him have a better perception of what's happening on Earth, lets him sense the demogorgon, lets him be more precise when interacting with Earth's electrical systems - even if it's all somewhat unconsciously.

Could be something season 2 addresses. Maybe we'll find out, in just a few (nine) months!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    On the upside-down

My theory is this

Good question.

He did see it happen in the shed.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Brenner told Joyce that six people were taken into the Upside-Down, but we only ever see Will alive. What if the Demogorgon was collecting people to infect with those slug parasites in order to transform them into the Thessalhydra? We never see the Demogorgon actually eat people; despite it grabbing Barb and her screams going silent, Eleven sees her body seemingly intact. Hydras have around 8 heads, typically, so it'd need a good amount of people to each become a "head", and we know Will has got something going on with the slugs.

I have an alternative theory.
    They've got to raise the stakes this season, at least a little. It would seem repetitive if their approach was "You like that monster? Here's... another monster!" The nature of the new threat has to be different. Something more conducive to establishing an ongoing plot, as opposed to just an immediate threat, which is what the last one was. The main plot was less about the monster or its nature, it was about finding Will and helping Eleven. The demogorgon was a threshold guardian that prevented those goals.

More importantly it acted like an animal, feeding and breeding. It didn't seem to be intelligent. There's only so much you can do with a threat like that, a creature of brute instinct. Either the heroes kill it or they don't. We had that dynamic already. What are they bringing to the table that's new?

The first thing I thought on seeing the trailer is that this shot reminds me an awful lot of this shot, from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I have a feeling that's intentional. And it leads to an obvious train of thought: the Upside Down becomes a lot more interesting if it is inhabited by things that can think or that have goals. Those thoughts and goals may be weird and alien, but still some sort of objective pursued by a kind of sentience. That would open up far more options for new plotlines. Now the kids not only have to deal with the shadowy government agency but also the unknown intentions of otherworldy intelligences. Possibly a great variety of such intelligences, with their own conflicts.

They're certainly featuring that Ghostbusters shot very prominently in the marketing. I note the main plot of Ghosbusters wasn't actually about ghosts, but about an extradimensional being posing as a god, a being noted for assuming vast and terrible forms as it tormented other realities.

Maybe that thing lurking in the storm isn't related to the demogorgon at all. Maybe it's something far grander and far more dangerous. Will's connection to the Upside Down just attracts its attention.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Fakefaux wrote: »

They've got to raise the stakes this season, at least a little. It would seem repetitive if their approach was "You like that monster? Here's... another monster!" The nature of the new threat has to be different. Something more conducive to establishing an ongoing plot, as opposed to just an immediate threat, which is what the last one was. The main plot was less about the monster or its nature, it was about finding Will and helping Eleven. The demogorgon was a threshold guardian that prevented those goals.

More importantly it acted like an animal, feeding and breeding. It didn't seem to be intelligent. There's only so much you can do with a threat like that, a creature of brute instinct. Either the heroes kill it or they don't. We had that dynamic already. What are they bringing to the table that's new?

The first thing I thought on seeing the trailer is that this shot reminds me an awful lot of this shot, from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I have a feeling that's intentional. And it leads to an obvious train of thought: the Upside Down becomes a lot more interesting if it is inhabited by things that can think or that have goals. Those thoughts and goals may be weird and alien, but still. That would open up a lot more avenues for the plot. Now the kids not only have to deal with the shadowing government agency, but also the unknown intentions of otherworldy intelligences. Possibly a great variety of such intelligences, with their own conflicts.

They're certainly featuring that Ghostbusters shot very prominently in the marketing. I note the main plot of Ghosbusters wasn't actually about ghosts, but about an extradimensional being posing as a god, a being noted for assuming vast and terrible forms as it tormented other realities.

Maybe that thing lurking in the storm isn't related to the demogorgon at all. Maybe it's something far grander, and far more dangerous. Will's connection to the Upside Down just attracts its attention.
    Are you sayin' the Upside Down is the warp and Will is a juicy psyker?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »

The first thing I thought on seeing the trailer is that this shot reminds me an awful lot of this shot, from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I have a feeling that's intentional. And it leads to an obvious train of thought: the Upside Down becomes a lot more interesting if it is inhabited by things that can think or that have goals. Those thoughts and goals may be weird and alien, but still. That would open up a lot more avenues for the plot. Now the kids not only have to deal with the shadowing government agency, but also the unknown intentions of otherworldy intelligences. Possibly a great variety of such intelligences, with their own conflicts.

Maybe that thing lurking in the storm isn't related to the demogorgon at all. Maybe it's something far grander, and far more dangerous. Will's connection to the Upside Down just attracts its attention.
    Are you sayin' the Upside Down is the warp and Will is a juicy psyker?

...yes

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Maybe
    Will is dead, the monster succeeded. It was defending its young. It converted his body into a new monster. That's why Barb wasn't eaten.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I hope the kids' D&D-loving Science teacher gets a bigger role in Season 2.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I hope his girlfriend has lines.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I hope his girlfriend has lines.

And pay her actual actress money instead of glorified extra money? Are you crazy?! Next you'll tell me we should actually be paying her actor money.

What is this world coming to...

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Mainly I don't want Science Teacher dude to not die. There was one moment in S1 that I really thought he was going to bite it.