Options

[Stranger Things] The Rollerskate Of Justice (Season 4 OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well I mean, it wasn't really the Department of Energy that was there...

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Diner owner:
    It seemed to be me the CIA goons had no fucking idea what they were doing and were just making it up as they went along, they were in over their heads just as much as the kids were
    Yeah that was what did it for me.

Guy is bending over backward to buy their story and they shoot him to keep the horrible secret that....... There was a runaway girl.
    Because what happens when the actual person who took his call shows up?
    A beuracratic snafu in social services?! My word. It's sure embarrassing that she got turned into the wrong office and her parents out of state came and picked her up. No, I'm sorry we can't divulge that sort of information.

I mean, hell say she has parinoid delusions and that the head scientist is her dad. Don't even have to keep it secret then.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    regarding Diner Owner v. Hopper
    i think they killed the owner because he had direct contact with 11. I think Hopper was "safe" because he was investigating oddities but wasn't aware of their special project.
    What? He literally snuck into a top secret base and had first hand experience of all of their weird shit.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    The relationship with 11 is the key.
    the diner showed her kindness and potentially ruined the brainwashing, Hopper hasn't interacted with her at that point. Who cares if he sees a government building with creepy black lichen growing on the walls!
    i think it is inconsistent so i was giving my best guess :)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I never really got a firm grasp of the timeline of events.
    Did Demogorgon breach into our dimension pretty much as the show started?

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Echo wrote: »
    Yes, I think the opening of the portal was the catalyst of 11 escaping.

Kruite on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it acted differently with Will than we saw in the rest of the show because that was its first night out, and 11 escaped as it was fucking up the lab

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Yeah, it acted differently with Will than we saw in the rest of the show because that was its first night out, and 11 escaped as it was fucking up the lab
    Remember, Will had the shotgun when he went into the Upside Down. Presumably, that enabled him to get away from the monster, and the monster learned it needed to be a lot more aggressive to get prey.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    g5635ksu917g.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Not sure if this got posted yet but the Department of Energy wrote up a blogpost saying they are not "evil" :P
    http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department
    Spoilers in the link I think

If anything I didn't think they were actually evil in real life...

But with this much denial, they doth protest too much...

Frig, they are fucking with alternate dimensional monsters over at the department of energy aren't they.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Not sure if this got posted yet but the Department of Energy wrote up a blogpost saying they are not "evil" :P
    http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department

Frig, they are fucking with alternate dimensional monsters over at the department of energy aren't they.

So in part, I'm a little disappointed they felt the need to do an actual, for-real rebuttal.

But the author took the time to link to a whole bunch of science-y projects their really working on, so that makes everything good :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

So in part, I'm a little disappointed they felt the need to do an actual, for-real rebuttal.

But the author took the time to link to a whole bunch of science-y projects their really working on, so that makes everything good :D

It's sort of missing the forest from the trees. I immediately assumed the Energy Department connection was just a cover ("So, why do you have an entire power plant for your own building?" "Shut up, that's why!") and that was actually attached to some shady agency in the Defense Department or something more nefarious. Rather than an indictment of the actual department (sort of like the complaint against the E.P.A. in the beloved Ghostbusters, which was much more direct if not the original point).

The series, after all, is a demonstration in the rising cynicism of Americans--as I understand it after Iran-Contra, a lot of people went from, "This is America! Our government tells us the truth, and they just want to fight the real liars, those godless reds!" to "This is America! Holy shit, we're selling what to the Iranians? And what was this about crack cocaine? Oh God, just stop talking!"

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

They would say that.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I felt her acting was ok to see or to hear but not both together. Her voice didn't match her body or something

This is probably the wierdest critique I think Ive ever read.

You mean you don't prefer to watch Stranger Things in the original Japanese?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I think it was a really bored media team who finally had something interesting to write about.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Not sure if this was posted here before, but it was too good not to pass on. Spoilered and linked for teh huge.

Stranger Pugs

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Pug Winona Ryder was really hamming it up in that scene.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Never really understand the disconnect problem people had with the jumping scene. Literally no one (aside from 11) actually thought it would be suicidal, from how I read the situation. They thought it would be unpleasant, but I don't think either Mike or the bullies actually thought anyone would die from it, while he obviously thought someone would die if he didn't.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Keep in mind that he thought the bullies were actually going to kill his friend.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the conversation in the first episode(?) notes that they're pretty sure it'd be fatal (or at least a really fucking bad idea/risky), and one guy claimed to have done it but he was drunk (which could be taken either as "he was all limp and somehow that helped him" or "he was telling tall tales and who the fuck knows if he jumped or just stumbled into the water and thinks he jumped").

It was presented in a way that looked like it was 100ft+. Do people make jumps like that all the time for shows? Sure! Are they scared 11 year olds without any training? Generally not (I would hope, at least).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The audience is supposed to know it would be fatal, not the literal children involved. For the children it's supposed to be scary, the audience is supposed to know it's far worse than scary.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I disagree. I think we're supposed to be unsure of the outcome, just like he is. That's pretty much the entire point of the "drunk cousin Jimmy did it!/Nuh-uh!" exchange we get to see.

It was still stupid, and that whole scene was #2 on the "oh, bullshit" scale right behind the other famous example for me. I just didn't buy the setup at all there, so the whole thing played wrong to me.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    Never really understand the disconnect problem people had with the jumping scene. Literally no one (aside from 11) actually thought it would be suicidal, from how I read the situation. They thought it would be unpleasant, but I don't think either Mike or the bullies actually thought anyone would die from it, while he obviously thought someone would die if he didn't.

My disconnect was I didn't know why he was going to jump in the first place. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the bully tell him to pee himself? Did anyone tell Mike to go jump?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Thro wrote: »

My disconnect was I didn't know why he was going to jump in the first place. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the bully tell him to pee himself? Did anyone tell Mike to go jump?

Pretty sure that
    ...the bully told him that either he jumps, or they would start pulling Dustin's teeth out.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Pretty sure that
    ...the bully told him that either he jumps, or they would start pulling Dustin's teeth out.

Nope
    The bully's tell Lucas to piss himself, or they'll pull Dustin's teeth.

Mike's solution to this problem is to jump, and it's not clear why.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Pretty sure that

Nope

He says "wet himself" and points to the quarry.

You know, by jumping.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Wow you're totally right, sorry. Somehow I missed that one word.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I just went back and rewatched it. It's very clear when he tells him to jump :P

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was pretty solid wordplay for such a stupid kid.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I disagree. I think we're supposed to be unsure of the outcome, just like he is. That's pretty much the entire point of the "drunk cousin Jimmy did it!/Nuh-uh!" exchange we get to see.

It was still stupid, and that whole scene was #2 on the "oh, bullshit" scale right behind the other famous example for me. I just didn't buy the setup at all there, so the whole thing played wrong to me.

No, not at all. Hopper had the discussion earlier that it was clearly fatal, and it's starting to become common wisdom in 2016 that jumping from that height without being an olympic diver and you might as well be jumping onto concrete.

The kids were raised in the day of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and plenty of other media that depicts falling from great heights as being okay if you jump into water, because water's SOFT, right? There is no way that that scene was supposed to play out any other way. Mike (and the bully) thinks that he will survive, even though it's very scary... that's the bully's point, to scare him the way he was scared by Eleven. But we're not idiots. We don't believe in the stories of drunk yokels. Further, Hopper's convinced, and that's good enough for us.

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

Pretty sure that

Nope

He says "wet himself" and points to the quarry.

You know, by jumping.

Ooooooh. Missed the pointing. And the wordplay. Dang mouth-breather is cleverer than me.

• Options
    He actually says "Jump!" It's not just implied/wordplay :P

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Millie Bobby Brown (11) is on the 9/13 episode of Stephen Colbert

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I watched this all after work yesterday (didn't even have to stay up very late to wrap it up!). Definitely digging this show!

One thing that's been bugging me about this thread, though, is (government spoilers):
    the idea that the government agents who showed up at the junkyard and were dispatched by Hopper were from a different group than the main group of agents working for Brenner.

Most of this was based on the fact that they were driving sedans instead of the fake power company vans. My problem is that, earlier in the series, Brenner's agents are totally tooling around town in those Fords. They only use the power company vans when they have to have an excuse or reason to "blend in" (like checking on the Byers' house--they're just there to check the power but when they realise the house is empty, they drop pretenses and send in the team from the van) and later near the end when they are chasing the kids through town (and presumably want a larger force of personnel as well as the blending in for staking out the boys' homes).

Plus, the agents in the junkyard are totally equipped with the same tranc guns Brenner's agents use earlier when expecting to find El. The guys who bust in the back of the diner have the same guns while the blonde agent has a pistol for taking out the cook. The agents knew to search the junkyard because they overheard the radio conversation between the adults and the kids.

There's only one group of government agents, and they're all on team Brenner (or whatever team he was on).

Other than that, and that's more a comment about theorycraft in the thread here, I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this show.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Finally finished this last night. Had a lot of trouble making it through episodes 2 and 3 but I am now glad I did. It was AMAZING. Winona Ryder was frighteningly good in this. After the shoplifting this I wrote her off as a joke, but this changed my mind. I've never seen anyone play a "single mom in the middle of a breakdown" as well as this. It was almost too much for me.

Also, this has the least cringey kids I've ever seen on TV. These boys and girls have some real talent. They are going places.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Jean Steveio is my new favorite thing

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOD that picture unraveled my brain it's like clark kent and superman standing next to each other what is happening

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »
    OH MY GOD that picture unraveled my brain it's like clark kent and superman standing next to each other what is happening

Why would it be weird to have Clark Kent and Superman standing next to each other?