As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movies] Thread in Which We Don't Accidentally Spoil Movies, Goddammit

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    The Magnificent Seven '16, good movie, 5 out of 7 magnificents, but it's not as good as Olympus Has Fallen or The Equalizer. Largely because that first thirty minutes is a chore to get through, which makes this the second best western movie featuring Byung-Hyun Lee.

Like The Good, The Bad, The Weird, there's enough changed here overall in terms of setting and characters that it's not a true remake outside of 7 vs. 100. No mexican sonsofbitches raiding a town, this time it's a so cartoonishly evil John Galt Andrew Ryan knockoff robber baron (that isn't played well by Peter Skaarsgard). The Seven themselves are good throughout, Ethan Hawke being the standout I thought since he has an arc (Pratt is better here than Jurassic World but he never seems to own the joker/trickster role and is sort of whatever the scene calls for compared to others knowing their role). The humor mostly hits, often coming in the less "this is the comedy part" scenes used to separate the various ptew ptews. And the PG-13 didn't really seem to be a problem at all, it seems you can show arrows hitting people all the live long day and people can be shown being shot as long as their shirts were already dirty.

The best part is the last hour with the shooting and the planning and the more shooting, but it does fall into the usual setup these films usually have of drawing out the situation with an unseen obstacle (the trailer gave it away), only because it's done to try and fill the lack of any real character building. And that's the thing, I don't care about the lack of characterization because not all movies need it, you get who they are through their banter and it works well for this type of movie (I actually enjoyed how there was no conflict between anyone like anti-indian/chinese or civil war sides, etc, it's mentioned but not an obstacle to working together). But in order to feel like a real film, it has to have that hero/villain standoff while it hits you over the head with "he's good, he's bad, do you understand? Here, to show you again, he's good, he's bad, understand now?"

It's a good movie, I am literally referenced in the movie for a scene, and don't regret seeing it in the theater but it's better suited for watching as a rental or on Starz, as you can really just go do whatever you want for the first 30 minutes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I am literally referenced in the movie for a scene,
    Haha! That's right. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Today's haul at the Barnes & Noble movie section:

Blazing Saddles
    Silver Streak
    The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother

I really love the b&n movie section. They always have interesting stuff, like British tv shows that aren't Dr who, and tons of criterion collection films.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I am literally referenced in the movie for a scene,
    Haha! That's right. I didn't even think about it until you mentioned it. :D

What? Explain

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Chris Pratt turns to the camera and says "this is for my friend TexiKen on the PA forums"

It sounds weird but it makes sense in the scene

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Chris Pratt turns to the camera and says "this is for my friend TexiKen on the PA forums"

Not as far-fetched as it'd seem.

Several forum shoutouts exist in Mass Effect 3.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Watched The Free State of Jones the other night. It feels like they had a hard time deciding what the film was going to be about. The "free state of Jones" plot is over and done with well before the time you'd expect a film's climax to happen, but maybe that's ok because there isn't really a climax I can point to. There's an entire subplot about his great-grandson that actually spoils the story from the earlier time period.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Wait, really?

I know a Bioware employee posted on the forum for quite a while, but I didn't know there were callouts in their games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

And, like, Baldur's Gate 2.

And Dragon Age.

EDIT: Bioware forums, not necessarily PA forums, though.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Wait, really?

I know a Bioware employee posted on the forum for quite a while, but I didn't know there were callouts in their games.

Yeah, I noticed them when I played through a couple weeks back, posted about em as a joke, like what a coincidence, right? And the ME3 thread confirmed they were intentional PA references. <3

Yo I'm watching The Last Winter. It's very good! I'm noticing a trend with Larry Fessenden related media...
    that motherfucker is all about Wendigos, huh?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Yo I'm watching The Last Winter. It's very good! I'm noticing a trend with Larry Fessenden related media...
    that motherfucker is all about Wendigos, huh?

A sign of distinction and taste.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

Wait, really?

Yeah, I noticed them when I played through a couple weeks back, posted about em as a joke, like what a coincidence, right? And the ME3 thread confirmed they were intentional PA references. <3

Mind posting a link? I'm just about to finally start that series. I'd just search, but well that seems like it would lead to some spoilers very quickly.

(PM if it's considered super off topic)

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Bunch of coworkers want to go see Masterminds this Friday... Saw there were no reviews on RT as I purchased tickets.

Kind of afraid this is gonna be bad.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh don't be afraid its going to be bad, know full out that it will be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh don't be afraid its going to be bad, know full out that it will be.

And go to a theater that serves booze.

• Options
    Masterminds is a movie they've been sitting on for nearly two years, some of that time because the production company went bankrupt. I remember seeing trailers for it last year and wondered if it was so bad they were going to quietly do a VOD dump.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I was kind of actually interested in what the reference is. As funny as the joke is.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Justice is delivered in London Has Fallen.

The body count for that movie was ridiculously high. In Olympus has fallen, Secret Service dude had to kill maybe 15 North Koreans to save the President. In London, he had to kill, like 50 goons each armed with grenades and assault weapons. Less is more, movie franchise.

I have to say; when i watched it i was all "where are all these goons coming from"?

I was kind of actually interested in what the reference is. As funny as the joke is.

In the movie one of the characters refers to the mexican character as a Texiken.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    So ARQ was...lower budget. And lower other things.

The world-building really hit you over the head, which kind of defeats the point of subtle background world-building. And there's some real clunky relationship dialog littered about.

It's not terrible or anything, but when the similarities to Edge of Tomorrow are that close and the differences* (which are a legitimately novel idea on the conceit) aren't explored to their fullest, it just comes off as disappointing/feels like there's a missing 3rd act somewhere.

Also if you're cribbing another recent near-future Tom Cruise sci-fi time travel movie's hook, maybe it's best to not cast a guy that kinda looks like Tom Cruise and a lady that kinda acts like Nicole Kidman

*Differences/spoilers
    Edge of Tomorrow Multiplayer? Sounds great! Too bad it spends most of the time in single player or co-op. And ends right as it actually gets interesting.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    While gathering the group Ethan Hawke (a former confederate sharpshooter) is talking about how it's a merry band of people they got here here, blue and grey, a man from the orient, a drunk irishman, a woman, and a TexiKen (the mexican bandit guy). Then bandit guy says he's mexican and his grandfather fought at the Alamo and probably killed Hawke's grandfather who also fought at the Alamo.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    In what seems like a pretty inevitable thing, following their success with The Jungle Book Disney and Jon Favreau are reteaming to make a live-action version of The Lion King.

For any of you out there that might care, this probably either makes your day or grinds your gears, accordingly. As someone not a fan of the latest Jungle Book nor The Lion King, I'm mostly ambivalent about this news.

Good day.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I mean, the Broadway musical was supposedly great, so maybe?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I love the Broadway musical.

I still think this is a really dumb move. Seriously? Stahp making live-action versions of your old movies, Disney!!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Without a human there to be the live action anchor, it's gonna be some hella weak Milo & Otis or Homeward Bound knockoff.

Animation rules, live action drools.

• Options
    Milo and Otis is amazing you shut your mouth!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Milo and Otis is amazing you shut your mouth!
    Amazing in the number of animals maimed or killed, perhaps.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Don't put wrong words into my sexy mouth, I wrote the Lion King knockoff would be a hella weak knockoff of Milo & Otis (and Homeward Bound), implying they are already great!

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love both the Broadway and original Lion King, but I have hard time seeing how this works without a real person anchoring a bunch of talking animals.

The kid playing Mowgli was by far the best part of the live Jungle Book.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Without a human there to be the live action anchor, it's gonna be some hella weak Milo & Otis or Homeward Bound knockoff.

Most of the live action adaptations have been super well received, though.

And I'm hella looking forward to Beauty and the Beast, aka Stockholm Syndrome But Cheery: The Movie

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Warcraft came out on iTunes so I watched it. Man, I feel like this movie was treated really harshly by the critics. It's a great adaptation and a really fun, exciting time. I'd recommend it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The weird thing about Milo and Otis was that was my first time knowing who Dudley Moore was, so when I hear his voice in Arthur as a drunk guy as a kid I'm going "wait, what happened here."

The Comebacks (HBO), your usual low budget _______ Movie spoof film from the late 00's, only this time making fun of sports movies, and it actually wasn't that bad. It wasn't consistently funny but it had some good jokes with the sport films and it's always interesting to watch these films a decade removed and see in a cast full of B and C listers (including the son from Mrs. Doubtfire who was also in Super Human Samurai Syber Squad and wow he has not aged at all), and then see Bradley Cooper and Will Arnett.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Warcraft came out on iTunes so I watched it. Man, I feel like this movie was treated really harshly by the critics. It's a great adaptation and a really fun, exciting time. I'd recommend it.

What if I know nothing about WoW or indeed original flavour Warcraft?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

What if I know nothing about WoW or indeed original flavour Warcraft?

It's a retelling of Warcraft 1, so you should be fine.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Man I'd love if it they tried to capture the aesthetic of the Broadway show on film. I'm sure they won't, tho

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I had to run back to the floor at work today and I saw Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead on Blu-Ray. 25th anniversary edition. Man, fuck I'm old, lol. Don't know if I'll buy it or not. It is pretty good, and the word game was excellent, but I don't know if I'd ever just pull it out to watch it.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

And I'm hella looking forward to Beauty and the Beast, aka Stockholm Syndrome But Cheery: The Movie

The live action films have had human people. There are no human people in Lion King, unless Simba is played by Actual Matthew Broderick, or they cast a human in monkeyface as Rafiki (which is incredibly offensive to monkeys in this day and age).

So yeah, basically this is somewhere between Milo and Otis (which, hahano) and a photorealistic animated movie (in which case, why bother?)

This annoys me because, as a huge fan of both the original and the musical, I am going to be obligated to watch this. And the absolute best case scenario is that I spend two hours wishing I was watching the original or the musical.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The live action films have had human people. There are no human people in Lion King, unless Simba is played by Actual Matthew Broderick, or they cast a human in monkeyface as Rafiki (which is incredibly offensive to monkeys in this day and age).

So yeah, basically this is somewhere between Milo and Otis (which, hahano) and a photorealistic animated movie (in which case, why bother?)

This annoys me because, as a huge fan of both the original and the musical, I am going to be obligated to watch this. And the absolute best case scenario is that I spend two hours wishing I was watching the original or the musical.

What if it's live action, but stylized? Less like Jungle Book, and more like the Broadway show, say?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

What if it's live action, but stylized? Less like Jungle Book, and more like the Broadway show, say?

Something that's computer-animated, but looks like moving sculptures and stuff, rather than cartoons?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    And live-action means no musical numbers, so there goes Scar's whole weird goose stepping hyena masterpiece. Bah.

Although Shere Khan had enough presence in this year's Jungle Book, so maybe they'll make Scar evil and petty enough.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    They're doing songs in Beauty and the Beast aren't they? So could keep the Lion King tunes.

If it doesn't have 'Hakuna Matata' I'm not sure you can even legally call it 'The Lion King'.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185