As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    What I think we might see at the next real innovation is moving away from copper. Imagine if Intel could figure out how to replace the copper in the processor and to a lesser extent on a motherboard with fiber? I've heard theories and rumors that it's being worked on. Taking out copper and replacing it with fiber would mean so many things. the only limit on the speed would be the speed of light, and you'd get far less heat than you do with copper.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Still obsessing about monitors over here...

So IPS vs. TN. Sounds like IPS gets you better colors and viewing angles generally, but TN is cheaper and has lower response times on the whole. There seems to be a lot of IPS love, but viewing angles aren't a concern for me (it's my desktop monitor. I sit in front of it.) and something like the DELL S2716DG checks all the other boxes aside from IPS - 27", 144hz and G-sync (and a nice understated design that doesn't look like a Pterodactyl. Looking at you Acer Predator!) And the Dell $200ish cheaper than something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q which is all that and also IPS.

Does anyone happen to have experience with the Dell S2716DG? I thought maybe I'd go look at one at Best Buy, but they all seem to be out of stock until mid October round here.

I have one, I really like it. I can't tell the difference between IPS and TN unless they're literally side by side. The color quality looks good though. I have no complaints so far, picked it up for $450 on sale.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    For what it's worth i picked up the ROG Swift PG278Q and adore it.

So buy the 27", 14Hz, 2560x1440 1ms G-Sync TN screen, but...
    Don't buy the PG27*9*Q, though.

...don't buy the 27", 14Hz, 2560x1440 1ms G-Sync IPS screen?

I mean, that's heartening, because it's $130 cheaper. But why?

The difference is that the PG279Q is the overclocked 165hz 2560x1440 1ms G-Sync IPS screen. And maybe I'm an unwashed troglodyte...but I can't really see the benefits behind that extra 21hz...maybe there's something behind that hz rate that's causing issues.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You're paying a lot of money for IPS and 165hz vs TN and 144hz.

And call me crazy, but I can't see a difference between IPS and TN even when they ARE side by side, unless it's a specific colour testing image and the difference is actually pointed out to me.

And unless you're gaming on low settings, you're never actually going to be running anything at 160 fps anyway, so the extra refresh is pointless too.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Still obsessing about monitors over here...

So IPS vs. TN. Sounds like IPS gets you better colors and viewing angles generally, but TN is cheaper and has lower response times on the whole. There seems to be a lot of IPS love, but viewing angles aren't a concern for me (it's my desktop monitor. I sit in front of it.) and something like the DELL S2716DG checks all the other boxes aside from IPS - 27", 144hz and G-sync (and a nice understated design that doesn't look like a Pterodactyl. Looking at you Acer Predator!) And the Dell $200ish cheaper than something like the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q which is all that and also IPS.

Does anyone happen to have experience with the Dell S2716DG? I thought maybe I'd go look at one at Best Buy, but they all seem to be out of stock until mid October round here.

After going IPS it's going to be very hard for me to go back--not for a matter of viewing angles, but because comparably priced TN monitors look so washed out by comparison. TN monitor that can match IPS seem to come at a premium.

On the other hand, I really don't notice response times (I'm simply not fast enough in my gaming). There are people out there who can, but I'm not one of them.

It looks like a good monitor--I'd give it serious thought if I was willing to go back to 1440p/1080p.

EDIT: If I had an AMD card, I'd pick this LG up in a heartbeat. On the other hand, I'm extremely happy with my EVGA GTX 1080 SC, so the inconvenience of not being able to use FreeSync is tolerable. I might even end up getting away and just consider the FreeSync an investment towards future resale.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be that guy, have you looked at 21:9 monitors?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Don't buy the PG27*9*Q, though.
    I absolutely love my PG279Q, but IPS panels are a must for me.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I did, briefly, especially after this cleancut young man was so bullish on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfxS2Z8PAUQ

But since the primary purpose for this recklessly spendthrift endeavor would be to enhance gaming, it would be kind of a bummer to have so many of those letterboxed. Also, my family seems pretty fond of the two monitor setup I've got going, and I wouldn't want to disrupt things too much without feeling stronger about the move.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The novelty of 21:9 is pretty nifty. But, yeah. I can only imagine it being emminently useful for watching 2.35:1 movies. And it's not like the letterbox for those on 16:9 monitors is so terrible. I'd rather just get a larger 16:9 monitor.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Also, is there such a thing as a 144hz adaptive sync ultra wide monitor? Couldn't find one on a quick Google, but didn't look long.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Is the LED in the base RGB?

• Options
    Newegg's got Windows 10 Home 65-bit OEM for $80 (+$3 shipping unless you have their premium thingy?) with promo code EMCFEEF34, for anyone needing to grab a copy.

That's tied for a historic low (you know, aside from free) according to pcpartpicker.
    DzBZrSB.png

(Although pcpartpicker isn't actually showing this Newegg deal, so maybe take that with a grain of salt?)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    65-bit? That must be really good, then!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

No, it's just red. I keep it turned off and won't miss it when I replace the stands with arm mounts.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

No, it's just red. I keep it turned off and won't miss it when I replace the stands with arm mounts.

You can turn it off? Cool. That'd do.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Also, is there such a thing as a 144hz adaptive sync ultra wide monitor? Couldn't find one on a quick Google, but didn't look long.

Looks like the ultra-wides at 3440x1440 top out at 100hz. Here are a couple options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009869
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717

Oh! Hang on...and two options that actually do have 144hz (but only 2560x1080):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025424
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83WF9701

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Good gracious, is the Fractal Define R4 really over a foot wide? I've got a pretty hefty Lian-li next to me here, and it's only 8 1/4.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

I have the asus 100hz monitor and I notice zero difference from 100 to 144, so it's pretty awesome for me. It's reallllllllly nice.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    From this:

71Iy7Yn.jpg

To this!

i5x5WS9.jpg

Ohmygosh this thing is so quiet it's kind of ridiculous. Downloading everything now to see what it can do.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So, back to my VRAM issue. I know you're sick of hearing about it, but there's some possible good news. Lots of vendors apparently switched to Micron and the bios that Nvidia gave them all originally was for Samsung. Nvidia is pushing out a new bios for board partners, which may fix the issue. It has something to do with the card being in a low power state below 800mv and when you apply an overclock profile, it applies the Mhz and -then- the voltage and it all goes to hell. So the fix will hopefully be the opposite order.

Now in the short term it seem if you apply a constant 800mv or higher in voltage to the card, you can overclock the RAM like Samsung chips. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do it in Afterburner and still get the proper GPUBoost 3.0 feature to go over 2Ghz.

Hopefully this info will help some of you if you have a Micron based 10 series card and maybe the BIOS fixes will be out in a few weeks.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Ohmygosh this thing is so quiet it's kind of ridiculous. Downloading everything now to see what it can do.

You will not be displeased. I have the exact same video card, very similar PSU (same model but 750 W), same RAM, in an R4. It's fantastic how quiet this is. Though I have twice as many hard drives and an optical drive.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    do we think the 1080Ti will be a worthwhile upgrade from a 980Ti?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

As someone who doesn't find the jump from current latest gen to next newest gen to ever be worth it for the price, I'm gunna say it's not going to be worth it. Maybe if you were coming from a 980, or maybe a 970 or lower.

• Options

I did, briefly, especially after this cleancut young man was so bullish on them:

But since the primary purpose for this recklessly spendthrift endeavor would be to enhance gaming, it would be kind of a bummer to have so many of those letterboxed. Also, my family seems pretty fond of the two monitor setup I've got going, and I wouldn't want to disrupt things too much without feeling stronger about the move.

There are some games that don't support 21:9, which means you basically have to play them as a 16:9 image with pillarboxing (my 29" ultrawide temporarily becomes a 23" standard monitor, basically. Ideally I'd have gone with the 34" which would be a 27" display for 16:9 content, but the universe didn't work out that way), but man for the games that do it's incredible. All of the major engines support 21:9 (UE, Source, idtech, etc) so the option for 2560x1080 and 3440X1440 are fairly common, but it's still technically in the "early adopter" territory. Check out some comparisons if you ever get bored though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDABmL6dwuU

Movies are pretty great as well. "Cinemascope"/movies at or around 2.35:1 or modern 2.39:1 look amazing without horizontal letterboxing like they have on a 16:9 monitor, especially if it's a movie with a lot of nice landscape shots (Dances with Wolves is an excellent example).

The only time I would ever honestly hard recommend a gamer away from a 21:9 monitor is if they're hardcore into e-sports games, because games like Overwatch, Dota, and CS:GO either don't support the format or intentionally gimp it in order to prevent people from having an "unfair advantage". Blizzard kinda has a history with that outlook since the "unfair advantage" line is the same one they used to excuse never adding the option to go from 4:3 to 16:9 for Diablo 2, but my understanding is that they promised 21:9 support for Overwatch (and had it in the beta) but changed their minds at the last second or something. I dunno, I don't really play e-sports stuff.

Still though, it's going to be hard going back to 16:9 whenever the time comes to upgrade my monitor. Hopefully by then the format will either be the standard or as widely used as 16:9 so that ultrawide 5K 5120x2160 is an option and monitors will be cheaper. Right now you can get a 29" 2560x1080 IPS monitor for around $200 if you grab it on sale so it's not prohibitively expensive, but you can get a decent 16:9 monitor for $150 so there's definitely a bit of a price premium with the technology.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

As someone who doesn't find the jump from current latest gen to next newest gen to ever be worth it for the price, I'm gunna say it's not going to be worth it. Maybe if you were coming from a 980, or maybe a 970 or lower.

I will say this: going from a 980 to a 1080 was absolutely worth it. However, that comes with the caveat that it depends entirely on the games that you're planning on playing.

• Options
    What's the best way to format a drive back to factory fresh these days? The guts in my old machine are going in to a smaller case for my girlfriend, so need to do a fresh Windows install.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Without going into any programs that zero out all sectors, the process of installing Windows allows you to delete the partition and restart from there which is usually good enough for people who don't handle classified data of any sort.

You can also delete the partition from Disk Management if the drive is to be placed in a system that already has drives installed and setup.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, how is it that that CPU cooler is like the defacto cooler to use? Was it just by mistake or did Coolmaster just saturated the stores with them and made them super cheap or something?

• Options
    Man, how is it that that CPU cooler is like the defacto cooler to use? Was it just by mistake or did Coolmaster just saturated the stores with them and made them super cheap or something?

Word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool. When people experiment with CPU coolers and one stands out for them, they're bound to recommend it to others who ask for help coming up with build ideas.

Personally, I prefer the look AIO water coolers give my layout.

• Options
    I think the success of the 212 can be put down to a few things.

Intel lack of cooler included with their unlocked processors meant you needed to buy one regardless. Hyper 212 is cheap enough that most people don't even think twice about the price, effective enough that enthusiasts will recommend it and suggest to newcomers when building their PC, and then on top of that coolermaster was already a well-known brand.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    So my 970 just died and I was able to swap it out for a 1070. Using 1080p monitors that I don't have any plans on replacing, is there any merit to spending the extra $200-300 getting a 1080 instead?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So my 970 just died and I was able to swap it out for a 1070. Using 1080p monitors that I don't have any plans on replacing, is there any merit to spending the extra $200-300 getting a 1080 instead?

Not unless the monitors are 144Hz or something. 1070 will be able to handle 1080p at 60hz and maxed graphics for probably the next several years.

• Options
    I had a Noctua D-14 in my old machine which turned out to be massive overkill as I barely overclocked my CPU, so this time the 212 was my immediate choice. Partially through laziness of not wanting to look through a bunch of coolers but also because everyone says such good things about it.

I didn't end up going with a 144hz monitor just because I couldn't justify the extra 500 quid over the Dell to make sure it was IPS, but man 1440p on a 25 inch monitor is so nice and sharp.

• Options
    A 144 Hz TN monitor will blow a 60 HZ IPS monitor out of the water any day of the week in terms of overall gaming enjoyment. I'm not even sure it's a contest. That said, the high refresh rate adds a lot more to the price than the panel type does.

• Options
    The Hyper 212 Evo has a really solid price:performance ratio and it's pretty easy to install. It's basically become the "default" aftermarket cooler as a result.

• Options
    A 144 Hz TN monitor will blow a 60 HZ IPS monitor out of the water any day of the week in terms of overall gaming enjoyment. I'm not even sure it's a contest. That said, the high refresh rate adds a lot more to the price than the panel type does.

I'll definitely be picking on up in the next couple of years when the price goes down, but £700 was basically the price for any non TN/VA panel and it was just too much.

• Options
    There are other coolers similar to the 212 at near the same price point. But they're somewhat less easy to find. The 212 ends up as a default be being easier to find.

I personally went AIO because I'd been wanting water cooling for at least twenty years I knew I'd be moving the case around and didn't want the cooler tower to put any extra stress on the MB that it didn't have to.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I had a Thermalright Ultra Extreme in my last full-up build; which iirc came out a little bit before the Hyper 212. Why Thermalright didn't keep going with it, I'll never know. It was as lauded as the 212.

Corsair's and Cooler Master's AIO coolers have come way down in price recently, so I'm hoping more people opt for them. If you're vigilant, you can get a Cooler Master AIO processor cooler for around $50-$60. Which, while double the price of a 212, will last you at least as long as a 212 and will provide at least comparable performance. It's also easier to install and doesn't add a massive amount of weight hanging on/around your CPU socket.

And for whatever it's worth, I found my Thermalright cooler recently when I sold an old case. If any of you are interested, PM me and you can have it if you pay for shipping. I have most of the parts, but you may need to order a new backplate for newer procs.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Is a BSOD a possible symptom of too-aggressive an overclock? I'm talking immediately on boot here.

I bumped my 4770k up from a 39 multiplier to a 41, voltage up by 0.01v and it BSOD's as soon as Windows loads, then refuses to post. Had to reset CMOS to get it to actually post again.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Is a BSOD a possible symptom of too-aggressive an overclock? I'm talking immediately on boot here.

I bumped my 4770k up from a 39 multiplier to a 41, voltage up by 0.01v and it BSOD's as soon as Windows loads, then refuses to post. Had to reset CMOS to get it to actually post again.

yea, absolutely.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.