As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Sounds interesting

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Arrr bitches! Be ye needin a Paladin of Nickelback for yer fine crew?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I want in!

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Time to unfurl the black flag.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: Β»
    What is 3 bst in normal person time? Because I want to play but this is a busy time at work so if close is too early I don't think I can do it.

You don't actually have to be awake for vote close!
    Auralynx wrote: Β»
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Professional Pirate signing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

The best number by far in an underappreciated Muppet movie.

It's what I overheard in the apple barrel.

Is Muppet Treasure Island underappreciated? Its my second favorite of the Muppet movies behind Christmas Carol. Then probably The Muppet Movie then take Manhattan. Tim Curry really does a great job here.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Is Muppet Treasure Island underappreciated? Its my second favorite of the Muppet movies behind Christmas Carol. Then probably The Muppet Movie then take Manhattan. Tim Curry really does a great job here.

I can't agree this enough. You're taste is exquisite. Nailed the order perfectly.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    What is 3 bst in normal person time? Because I want to play but this is a busy time at work so if close is too early I don't think I can do it.

You don't actually have to be awake for vote close!
    Professional Pirate signing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

The best number by far in an underappreciated Muppet movie.

It's what I overheard in the apple barrel.

It may only be underappreciated locally to me, but I get looks when I bring it up.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Burnagephalla? Burnagephalla

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular

When I looked it up its 10pm est, 9pm ct and 7pm pst.

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I've got no idea what typical expected player numbers are these days, but there isn't a cap on players in this game so I'm going to be leaving sign ups open for approximately another twelve hours before we kick things off.

Until then, enjoy some rules, which have also been added to the original post.
    Player Roles and Objectives

The majority of players will be pirates of the city of Portend, and will share an objective to rid the city of any threats to its stability. Do not necessarily assume that someone who has a role other than a pirate of Portend is a threat to the city. Please also do not assume that objectives can not change as the game progresses.

Player Actions and Abilities

Each night, every player may choose to perform one of the following actions. To submit an order, please send a private message to me.

Assault - Choose a target player and damage them that night. See Combat for an explanation of this ability.
    Piracy - Leave Portend for the night to go raiding, in order to acquire new treasures.
    Drink - Crack open the rum. This may lead to a variety of effects.

Many players may have actions available to them other than these, which will be listed in their role PM. Be warned that the usage of many actions is dependent on landmarks in Portend remaining standing, as detailed in the City of Portend section of the rules.

Some players may also have passive abilities, which are used automatically and do not need to be assigned a target. These abilities will be clearly marked in your role PM.

The City of Portend

The island city of Portend is famed mostly for its rowdy populace, but it also contains a number of landmarks which are notable. These structures enable the use of various player abilities, although if - for some reason - they are damaged to the point of reaching 0 HP then players may no longer take these actions. Once a landmark has reached 0 HP, it is destroyed and its HP cannot be altered.

Forge (10 HP) - Enables weapon and armour upgrades.
    Harbour (10 HP) - Allows players to engage in piracy each night.
    Mortuary (10 HP) - Reveals causes of death in nightly narrations.
    Sacred Cave (5 HP) - Enables divination abilities to be used.
    The Lock and Sabre Pub (10 HP) - Allows the drink action to be taken.

Player Statistics and Items

Every player will have three statistics; Hit Points, Attack, and Defense. Hit Points indicate how much damage a player can take, and the average player will have 5 HP. Attack and Defense are tied to the items that a player has; weapon will determine Attack, and armour provides Defense. Players will begin the game with a weapon and armour, and may either find new items or upgrade their existing ones by taking various actions. Note that you may not ever have more than one weapon or armour; if you find a new item you will automatically discard the weaker one. You may also not trade with another player.

Players will also have a special item slot, which may be filled with a variety of miscellaneous trinkets. Players may only ever have a single special item.

Combat

When an Assault action is taken against a target player, the victim's Defense value is subtracted from the assaulter's Attack value to determine how much damage the victim receives. For instance, if a pirate with 2 Attack used Assault on a landlubber with 1 Defense, the landlubber would lose 1 HP.

If a player reaches 0 HP, they are dead. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    And now I really want to skip directly to looking at your notes after this is over; this is pretty similar to something I've been trying to get to work.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'll probably be working through at least one vote close but sign up anyway

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If the attack value is less than the defense value, will a) the defender gain health, b)the attacker take damage, or c) nothing will happen stop asking dumb questions.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    If anyone destroys the pub, I vote we all kill them immediately.

• Options
    Brody wrote: Β»
    If the attack value is less than the defense value, will a) the defender gain health, b)the attacker take damage, or c) nothing will happen stop asking dumb questions.

Nothing will happen. The defender will lose 0 HP.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Also, how much will my half assed naval knowledge from reading an unending supply of novels benefit me as a pirate?

Probably about as much as it would've if this were Portland-based.

Now I'm imagining a Portland themed Phalla.... /shudder

• Options
    JPants wrote: Β»
    Also, how much will my half assed naval knowledge from reading an unending supply of novels benefit me as a pirate?

The dream of the 90s would be alive there.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    We can't drink and pirate at the same time? What kind of pirates are these anyways?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    We can't drink and pirate at the same time? What kind of pirates are these anyways?

The kind born before 1980, and therefore immune to the temptations of multitasking.

• Options

Due to chronic alcoholism and hardened livers, there is not enough room on your ships to carry sufficient quantities of alcohol for you to become inebriated.

The last pirate of Portend to attempt this was the late Rickard of Arlington, who several decades ago vowed to set sail while imbibing large quantities of rum and subsequently had his ship sink an eighth of a nautical mile from Portend's harbour, solely due to the weight of the kegs. Unfortunately for Rickard, both he and his crew were too drunk to swim back, and many in Portend still say you can hear his final cries of mirth on stormy nights.

• Options
    JPants wrote: Β»

I mean, its still fairly close to a post Cascadia fault Portland.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Burnage wrote: Β»

Due to chronic alcoholism and hardened livers, there is not enough room on your ships to carry sufficient quantities of alcohol for you to become inebriated.

The last pirate of Portend to attempt this was the late Rickard of Arlington, who several decades ago vowed to set sail while imbibing large quantities of rum and subsequently had his ship sink an eighth of a nautical mile from Portend's harbour, solely due to the weight of the kegs. Unfortunately for Rickard, both he and his crew were too drunk to swim back, and many in Portend still say you can hear his final cries of mirth on stormy nights.

So its a question of weight ratios. We can solve this. We have science. Or Piracy. We can pillage science.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Burnage wrote: Β»

So its a question of weight ratios. We can solve this. We have science. Or Piracy. We can pillage science.

2 boats, obviously. One for drinks, one for loot.

• Options
    Yeah, but who is going to carry the boats?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Can I still sign up?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    This whole conversation is a slightly nerdier rendition of "why is the rum gone?"

...I approve.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yeh fools, Mad Moloch tried to make a floating pub 30 years ago to get around the problem. 's why we have Moloch's Pyre at the entrance to the harbor to this day.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Maybe if we can find a way to get higher proof rum?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Maybe rum cookies?

• Options
    You are moving in the wrong direction there. Baking makes the alcohol useless. That's why we have a rule about not baking with alcohol.

• Options
    Foods cooked with alcohol actually retain a fair amount
    For something like cookies you would still probably be left with about 35% of the alcohol you started with

• Options
    Which means you just wasted 65% of your alcohol.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I used to make cookies with rum frosting. I think it was a sugar cookie and the frosting was rum and confectioner's sugar. You frost them after you bake them so no loss. I haven't made them in forever since I've been trying to perfect the chocolate chip recipe though. Also wife isn't able to drink atm. And I probably shouldn't give them to young kids.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Could always just bring rum balls instead of rations.
    Rum balls don't get cooked

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I really need some proof.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    I be signin' meself up fer this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqvA5IyfSSQ

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    In all of these instances you are adding non alcoholic ingredients in a situation where we need to increase alcohol density. Are any of you even real pirates?