As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Just watched the gameplay trailer, why are there humans, krogan, and turians on a planet in another galaxy?

One of the theories I've seen floated is that there will be a catastrophe or issue that leads to a disparity in time. Either some members are left in stasis for longer than anticipated, or one group/ark/whatever is slowed down, and some of the folks that get a head start on establishing are kinda dickbags (as is often the case in these things).

Or a time jump sometime in the midgame? Something that better justifies establishing areas and building up outposts/population centers and whatnot that isn't handwaved away with 'oh, prefabricated structures are legit!'

Or maybe it's just Star Trek and upon closer inspection the humans have slightly different foreheads and are thus totally different species (totally).

Or they got turned around in hyperspace and - surprise! - it was the Milky Way all along.

Again, basic astronomy would out this one right quick.

Yeah, I know. It would also be the worst twist in the history of terrible twists.

It would be the dumbest thing. I doubt they'd do that though, if only because it would get so much negative press.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Re: running perpendicular to a threat:

This works predictably in SP, and variably in MP.

It's especially easy to notice on PC. Since the game's speed is tied to frame rate, playing on a faster computer will lead to enemies who can track you better....

And then the trio of ravagers pops you mid-stride from across the map.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It sure would be nice if developers stopped basing things on framerate.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Just watched the gameplay trailer, why are there humans, krogan, and turians on a planet in another galaxy?

One of the theories I've seen floated is that there will be a catastrophe or issue that leads to a disparity in time. Either some members are left in stasis for longer than anticipated, or one group/ark/whatever is slowed down, and some of the folks that get a head start on establishing are kinda dickbags (as is often the case in these things).

Or a time jump sometime in the midgame? Something that better justifies establishing areas and building up outposts/population centers and whatnot that isn't handwaved away with 'oh, prefabricated structures are legit!'

Or maybe it's just Star Trek and upon closer inspection the humans have slightly different foreheads and are thus totally different species (totally).

I think that in one of the Game Informer interviews one of the BW people let slip that...
    Ryder would, among other things, be investigating what happened to the other species' arks.

So my main plot theory (comprised entirely of Wild-Ass Guesses) is that...
    ...Daddy Ryder travels on the Nexus because he's The Pathfinder, but the Ryder kids ride on the Hyperion. The Hyperion, for whatever reason, runs late and arrives years after something bad has happened. So the game starts with the Ryder kids being woken to the news that they're years late to the party, some shit already has gone down, their dad is either dead or missing, and the other arks are missing or destroyed.

Based on the first trailer, where someone who's probably Dad Ryder says, "our dreams of peace were shattered", the something bad that happens is probably a fight between the Ket and the new arrivals. There's also been mention of some event called "the Nexus uprising", so the easy guess is that after the initial disaster, some of the Nexus crew struck out on their own and that's why in the gameplay, a former human security officer has gone Col. Kurtz on some wilderness planet.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Nah, Andromeda galaxy - obviously Dark Falz was behind the whole thing. Don't trust your desert planets to planetary supercomputers.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Storywise, I'm most excited for the potential interaction with the Ryder sibling (how the Hawke sibling affected the story was one of the highlights of DA2), and whether Bioware will brave enough to write about colonialism and nativism.

I hope the "class profile" system isn't just the same fighter-mage-thief trinity with a fancy name.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Wait, since the canonical name of the protagonist family is Ryder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Did some ME fanart. Minor Arrival film spoilers inside.
    vrCljee.jpg?1

Couldn't get the renegade symbol to look smokey so I just left it like this

Really?
    They reminded me waaaay more of Reapers rather than Hanar

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Gotta say I was pretty unimpressed with that gameplay footage. I mean it is what it is, but still.

I just wish it looked more fluid for how high speed they've made it. ME3 was tons of fun, but by the time you got into good multiplayer games the jank in the movements, animations, and combat came out. But it worked so well because for the most part you couldn't really jump and fly around the map in that dynamic of a way. Even the most maneuverable characters were conservative and bound by the game.

Idk, for how high speed you move now, the video didn't invoke feelings of badassery that the speed should invokes. It's like 'boop, a bit of your health bar is gone from my super high speed sword attack. Now I'm going to shuffle side to side in the open'. Which granted, could be said for ME3 sometimes, but it's not like you leaping and bounding over the place.

Ugh it just looks weird.

Also headshotting that sniper and watching them do a full cart wheel was a little much. I'll assume it was a low gravity environment...

There were other things, but the gameplay felt off to me.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Did some ME fanart. Minor Arrival film spoilers inside.
    vrCljee.jpg?1

Couldn't get the renegade symbol to look smokey so I just left it like this

Really?
    They reminded me waaaay more of Reapers rather than Hanar
    Its the long tentacles and the weightlessness of them that made me think of them as Hanar.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Storywise, I'm most excited for the potential interaction with the Ryder sibling (how the Hawke sibling affected the story was one of the highlights of DA2), and whether Bioware will brave enough to write about colonialism and nativism.

I hope the "class profile" system isn't just the same fighter-mage-thief trinity with a fancy name.

Well they've already detailed the class system quite a bit. It's mostly the same abilities with some additions I'm sure. But it's not some whole new collection of abilities. You can just mix and match that collection of abilities instead of being locked into one set.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Also, if you got to have a hacking minigame, copy xcom2.
    Coin toss, hack bar, pass/fail, go. If we gotta dump points in, make it adjust the probability to 100% success and also give it some dialog possibilities and give it some combat stuff to do too. I hate that I got spend ability point taxes to appease the reptilian part of my brain with all the lootboxes...

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I mentioned that Mass Effect was kind the game in our house

So for Christmas i ordered two custom Xbox controllers for my wife (and me.) One is black with blue and gray highlights that has "It wasn't easy." for Garrus. I wanted a different quote from him but the inscription option isn't very long.

The other is white with black and red highlights that says "Had to be me."

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Coin toss, hack bar, pass/fail, go. If we gotta dump points in, make it adjust the probability to 100% success and also give it some dialog possibilities and give it some combat stuff to do too. I hate that I got spend ability point taxes to appease the reptilian part of my brain with all the lootboxes...
    Exploration & Interaction abilities should be wholly separated from Combat abilities in terms of resource investment.

I'd prefer this to the usual modern approach of just nixing all non-combat abilities entirely.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

Based on what we've seen so far, I expect that there either won't be any such skill (e.g. ME2, ME3), or that it will be from a different point pool than combat skills.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Exploration & Interaction abilities should be wholly separated from Combat abilities in terms of resource investment.

I'd prefer this to the usual modern approach of just nixing all non-combat abilities entirely.

I can't imagine they'd regress back to Me1's need for electronics and decryption, especially since they reduced hacking in each successive game, not made more of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I mentioned that Mass Effect was kind the game in our house

So for Christmas i ordered two custom Xbox controllers for my wife (and me.) One is black with blue and gray highlights that has "It wasn't easy." for Garrus. I wanted a different quote from him but the inscription option isn't very long.

It tickles me pink that all these people are bonding over Mass Effect.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »

That controller's going to be ruined real quick... what with all the tears constantly falling on it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    My wife bought me that mordin plush that sings, I can't wait.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Turambar wrote: »
    It's just an early colony

And I think it was mentioned that the human ark arrived later than the other species'
    Great. So we're still going to get shit from turians about being the new kids on the block.

Fuckin bird people.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    You humans are all racist.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »

GOOD
    4635kot7ouil.jpg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Yeah, well, you races are all humanist!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Yeah, well, you races are all humanist!

Well, all you humanists are good at racing!

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I don't really get why people are planning names when you only saw Shepard's first name in character creation/import.

• Options
    Save game screen.

Serious business, yo.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I made the mistake of having two default John Shepard soldier play throughs with ME2. Got super confusing a year later. Keep your save profiles unique from protag to protag kids!

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Mass Effect my Shepards were Minerva and Freya.

This time around it'll be Isis and Sarasvati.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Laurie Ryder and Frieda Ryder

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I don't really get why people are planning names when you only saw Shepard's first name in character creation/import.
    Fallout 4 has a bot that calls you by name if it recognizes it. Forza Horizon lets you pick what you want to be called from like two hundred names. Might be BioWare does something similar.

• Options
    Fuckface Ryder confirmed

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ticket-To Ryder?
    Klaus Ryder?
    Big Girls Don't C Ryder?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    In Stranger Things I Loved Winona...Ryder.

Too long?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    One of your party members just needs to have a different nickname for you every time they talk to you

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Fuckface Ryder confirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyJfhML8V0

Stick of Truth was so good

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of having two default John Shepard soldier play throughs with ME2. Got super confusing a year later. Keep your save profiles unique from protag to protag kids!

I named my FemShepard Kelly. In ME2, a certain crew mate joined and started biting my name styles. It was sure a damn tragedy when that person was killed, but what could I have done?

• Options
    If we could play as baby Krogan, I'd name my character

Pram Ryder

PqQMWvI.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Radar Ryder

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Batarian Sympathizer:

Hate Ryder

sig.gif