As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crack Down

DrezDrez Registered User regular
1925-crack-down-amiga-front-cover_zpsn6g9hvo3.jpg
(source: Mobygames)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIN5R4Zu7U

Crack Down is an action arcade game developed and released by SEGA in 1989. The game was later ported to the SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis by SEGA and to a variety of home computer systems including, but not limited to, Commodore 64, Amiga, and ZX Spectrum by U.S. Gold Ltd. It eventually made its way to the Wii's virtual console in 2007 and even to Steam in 2010. You may even own the game already and you don't even know it. I mean, I own it. I just checked. I had no idea. You may own it, too. You could be playing the game right now. But you're not doing that, are you? You're reading this thread. Or you're playing newer games, games that came out after 1989. Whatever.

Anyway, I don't know anything about Crack Down. So I will instead talk about Crackdown, which is a series of games released for the Xbox 360 starting in 2007 and a third game coming out, supposedly, in 2017.

Crackdown (2007):

5427d4ec-c769-45ec-a84c-c2ec084fbfe1_zps7mmdsdnc.jpg

Crackdown is an Action Adventure Shooter Satire Role Playing Orb-Collection Massively Single Player Jumping Simulation Game with a Twist, Shaken and Stirred. In fact, it is the premiere jumping simulator since Jumpman! and the unauthorized Jumpman Lives! Some might include Mario here, but I will not.

Basically, you're some kind of cop or something and you jump around and throw cars and collect orbs which lets you attain new levels of jumping and throwing and driving and speed until you are basically Superman in every way except that you can't fly and you aren't Superman. You can literally leap tall buildings in a single bound. But to do that you have to collect orbs.

You basically have to take the city back from gangs. The game also has a huge twist, and the M. Night Shamalyan movie "Devil" is basically a sequel to this film. Actually I don't know if Devil had a twist because I haven't seen it but I have to assume it did.

Regardless, Crackdown was a fuckload of fun. As you collect agility orbs and whatnot you could run and jump and whatever at really fun, superhuman levels. It was an exhilarating action game, a true gem on the Xbox 360. For now, it seems you can only buy it for the Xbox 360 and play it directly on the Xbox 360. I believe it's available digitally, but I'm not 100% sure. I guess I should have done some more research before making this thread.

If I had to sum up the game in five words or less, I would say: Buy it and play it.

Crackdown 2 (2010):

12c7e17e-0a23-4a79-9743-f12c33881200_zps1v48abzx.jpg

Full disclosure: My Xbox 360 broke some time after Crackdown. So I didn't have an Xbox 360 when Crackdown 2 came out. I actually bought an Xbox 360 about 2 years ago, explicitly so I could buy and play Crackdown 2. And I bought it but I haven't played it. So for this I'm just going to crib from some other sources and pretend I am competent on the subject.

Crackdown 2 is a sequel to Crackdown (denoted by having the same title with a "2" next to it). It is not a sequel to Crack Down, which is a game you may or may not have heard of or even own. That game came out in 1989 for arcades and was later ported to an assortment of home consoles and computer systems including, but not limited to, the SEGA Mega Drive, Genesis, Commodore 64, Amiga, and ZX Spectrum. It's available on the Wii Virtual Console and Steam as of 2007 and 2010 respectively.

On the other hand, Crackdown 2 is available only on the Xbox 360 Store, and currently only playable on the Xbox 360 itself. I mean I guess you might be able to track down a retail copy, too.

In Crackdown 2 you play another Agent or the same Agent but probably another Agent, similar to Crackdown 1 (aka "Crackdown") and you also collect orbs and become superhuman and you fight mutants in the open world of Pacific City. Oh yeah there are vehicles and there are vehicles in the first one which I forgot about.

Based on the few minutes I played and what I've read it more or less continues the craziness of the first game so it's probably a must buy.

If I had to sum up the game in five words or less, I would say: Please make it Xbone compatible.

Crackdown 3 (2017):

davejonesblog-coming2017_thumb_zpshyhee220.jpg

https://www.crackdown.com/2016/06/13/crackdown-3-arriving-in-2017/

Crackdown 3, originally slated for 2016, will now be out sometime in 2017, and will - according to the official website - harness the "power of Microsoft Cloud and Xbox Live" to enable the creation of "completely physical and destructible multiplayer environments."

The previous two games had co-op. Local, I guess? I dunno. Anyway, presumably, you can now play online in Crackdown 3 and fuck shit up and then it will pause the game, upload your destruction to Microsoft Cloud and/or Xbox Live (not sure what the difference is) and then pause everyone else's game while the updates are pushed to their computers, and also their updates are uploaded and downloaded to your machine all live, while paused. Or something.

Anyway, it sounds rad and if there's one thing better than jumping incredible lengths and blowing shit up on the last generation of video game consoles, it's doing so on the new generation of video game consoles where you can see even better jumping animations as you soar into the clouds and above the skyscrapers of the only-minimally satirized digital prediction of America's future under the thumb of our oppressive corporate overlords (note: if you're not from America please do not read the previous phrase).

It'll be available in 2017 for both Xbox One and Windows 10, presumably through the Play Anywhere campaign. Campaign probably isn't the right word. Policy? Feature? Whatever it is, if you buy it for one system, you get it on both.

If I had to sum up the game in five words or less, I would say: I don't know anything yet.

So, who's looking forward to Crackdown 3?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    By the way, I did a few searches and found no recent Crackdown thread (latest I found was from 2010), but if I did miss something, please let me know.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    I have no comments on Crackdown 3 but I did play Crack Down in arcades when I was younger. No idea what was going on but it was pretty cool.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    That's almost more than five words.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    You also have to love that artwork for Crack Down. You have Baphomet, a Monkey, what looks to be a Stormtrooper with a different helmet, the bodies of Arnold and likely Stallone ripped from stills from Rambo and Commando and or Predator except with an angry Klaus María Brandauer has the head at least for one. That is indeed US GOLD.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

The previous two games had co-op. Local, I guess? I dunno. Anyway, presumably, you can now play online in Crackdown 3 and fuck shit up and then it will pause the game, upload your destruction to Microsoft Cloud and/or Xbox Live (not sure what the difference is) and then pause everyone else's game while the updates are pushed to their computers, and also their updates are uploaded and downloaded to your machine all live, while paused. Or something.

All the co-op was online. The games were ok but other games released later do the same formula much better. There's just no reason to play these anymore.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

All the co-op was online. The games were ok but other games released later do the same formula much better. There's just no reason to play these anymore.

I dunno, I haven't found anything that compares to Crackdown's crazy jumping mechanics. Not really.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lol this was a great OP

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I dunno, I haven't found anything that compares to Crackdown's crazy jumping mechanics. Not really.

Speaking of...I never did complete that cheevo to glide between all the districts...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

You could jump real good in Saint's Row 4.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Huh. Did not realize there was an old version of Crack Down.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

You could jump real good in Saint's Row 4.

Crackdown had a physics-defying wingsuit. As much as I love Saints Row 4, Crackdown wins the crazy jumping/flying mechanic (in my mind, anyways).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I preferred Prototype over Saint's Row 4. As a jump-enthusiast. But the spot with the chimneys was good. And some of the trial-structures.

PLA on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oh man if I can play Crackdown 3 with all the city destroying goodness on my PC. Oh yes. Yes Please.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Oh man if I can play Crackdown 3 with all the city destroying goodness on my PC. Oh yes. Yes Please.

i'd be amazed if there isn't a PC version of Crackdown 3. most likely it'll be part of MS's Play Anywhere programme, meaing digital purchases get both Xbone and Win10 versions.

however, the did say a while back that full on city destruction will be multi-player only. not sure if that changes anything for you.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    They confirm it on their site - PC and Xbox One, one purchase.

Drez on
  • Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

i'd be amazed if there isn't a PC version of Crackdown 3. most likely it'll be part of MS's Play Anywhere programme, meaing digital purchases get both Xbone and Win10 versions.

however, the did say a while back that full on city destruction will be multi-player only. not sure if that changes anything for you.

It does! I can't do multi due to my connection. That kinda sucks. It seems like such a cool feature and a shame to limit it to multiplayer.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Being multi-player only for the enhanced physics makes sense IMO. People still want the choice/to be able to play their single player game off-line.

• Options
    So the destruction-engine relies on server-power, or something?

• Options
    One man can't destroy the world.

But 2-4 can.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    So the destruction-engine relies on server-power, or something?

Maybe the PC version will be able to do it locally. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    I'm trying to find my Xbox 360 power brick so I can play Crackdown 2.

It is time.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Crackdown The First was pretty much what got me to buy a 360. Never did play the sequel though.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Crackdown The First was pretty much what got me to buy a 360. Never did play the sequel though.

Heh...I had the opposite process but came to the same result: Crackdown 2 was what got me to buy a 360, but I've never played the first game.

• Options
    iK1NGiK1NG Registered User new member
    Oh man a more sandboxish Crackdown would be downright epic..

Actually a bit excited for this one. :cool:

playerverse-signaturesh.png
  • Options
  • Options
    hopefully we'll start seeing and hearing more about it in the new year then.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I still come back to that OP for a good laugh

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Did they ever have that MP only alpha/beta/demo or whatever over the summer?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    i don't believe they did, no. again, maybe we'll get something in the new year. maybe they'll tie beta access to pre-orders/early purchases of Halo Wars 2. :P

• Options
    There's a rumor that this may be delayed until 2018. :(

• Options
    Wanted to revive this thread in advance of E3.

I really, really Microsoft reveals something about Crackdown 3 at their E3 briefing.

And that it's not "Crackdown 3 is canceled."

Also, I'm hoping Crackdown 1 and 2 get backwards compatibility soon, or they do HD re-releases (which I seriously doubt).

• Options
    they've said fairly recently that its still alive and set for release late this year so i think we can safely expect it to make an appearance.

also, how has this video not been posted in this thread?

https://youtu.be/EWANLy9TjRc

• Options
    they've said fairly recently that its still alive and set for release late this year so i think we can safely expect it to make an appearance.

also, how has this video not been posted in this thread?

https://youtu.be/EWANLy9TjRc

Sorry, I made this thread 40 years ago, well before that video was available.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I bet they're saving it for the scorpio reveal. I expect we'll hear about it.

• Options
    wasn't a comment directed at you, just a general observation. we're all guilty really.

• Options
    wasn't a comment directed at you, just a general observation. we're all guilty really.

I know. And that's correct, we're all sinners. I think we should crack down on that kind of thing in here.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    all these years later I still have a lot of love for crackdown because it introduced me to this banger (and to dj krush in general).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZhdzGaPxo

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    I loved the first crackdown. Not really a huge fan of the second, but it wasn't terrible either.

I'm really hoping the 3rd will be good.

I have lots of fond memories of the first game. Especially trying to climb the agency tower the first few times before you were super super upgraded. I remember having to wipe the sweat off my hands a few times getting the precision jumps and such down. That game could give you a real sense of height when it wanted to.

• Options
    I loved the first crackdown. Not really a huge fan of the second, but it wasn't terrible either.

I have lots of fond memories of the first game. Especially trying to climb the agency tower the first few times before you were super super upgraded. I remember having to wipe the sweat off my hands a few times getting the precision jumps and such down. That game could give you a real sense of height when it wanted to.

i'm one of those weirdos that preferred the second. not sure why it was, just got on better with that one. anyway, you'll be glad to know they brought back some of the devs of the first game for the new one so that should give an indication of what they're aiming for.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

i'm one of those weirdos that preferred the second. not sure why it was, just got on better with that one. anyway, you'll be glad to know they brought back some of the devs of the first game for the new one so that should give an indication of what they're aiming for.

Yeah, I have no issues with people liking the second.

It was the mutant things that kind of threw me off on liking the second one that much.

The third one has been teased for so long, and it's kind of a niche game, but it's one of the ones I am very much interested in being good. It's a game that I can sink hundreds of hours into if it's at least as good as the first (with the required upgrades moving to a new generation of consoles expects).