As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Coffee Rules Everything Around Me: a thread about your [job]

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I love it when documentation is completely useless.
    Repo quantity - This field is the repo quantity.
    Collateral pledge quantity - This field is the collateral pledge quantity.

At least I can send this shit back to them and say, "Do it again, with correct documentation if you want to integrate with our system."

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    There's a guy I work with who I sometimes go to lunch with. He's a nice enough guy. I usually drive and have the radio on or whatever. This guy likes to watch videos during the drive to wherever we're going to eat, which is fine, but he plays them on max volume and it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    So yesterday when I posted about not getting a promotion.

Well it turns out I was dead fucking WRONG! My manager just called me to offer me the position! For the first time in years I'll be Full-time, with benefits. Supervising a team of idiots that I love. I am so excited

Somebody get me a panda! Please!

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    She's now been looking for 10 months and unemployed for 3.5 and her mental state is getting really bad

It's weird how much of our self worth we put in our jobs. You don't notice until you're not working and suddenly 30 pounds lighter because you've been too stressed to eat, having anxiety attacks in bars, breaking down crying when you look at the SO because how could anyone love you you unproductive cog, and wondering is this just my life? Struggling and working retail forever?

It's been a long summer.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Feeling the bro button's absence right now

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Boy

a 1 hour 40 minute commute sure is unpleasant

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    So next week is spirit week for homecoming at work. I was going to use the back in time day on Thursday as an excuse to wear my Ghostbusters stuff to test out my proton pack repairs but I feel confident in my work so I might pull out my Doctor Who costume instead.

Already did Marty McFly last year.

That's what I did next year too!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    people need to tell me when they're scheduling meetings that require my input so I don't let a stinky fart go 1 minute before a really attractive nurse from an insulin pump company walks into my office

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I need some advice. I was in QA for 5 years and got laid off in July. My aim is to be a product or project manager and I'm currently looking at associate positions to no avail (applying, not hearing anything back). What can I do to stand out more? I have a Scrum Master certification that expired in June, help from a transition company my previous employer provided, and the unemployment career services center I just signed up for last week. I know I can do this stuff and I have great references waiting in the wings but I feel lost right now.

I'm in the Boston area if anyone was wondering or if you know of anything available.

Rayze on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    people need to tell me when they're scheduling meetings that require my input so I don't let a stinky fart go 1 minute before a really attractive nurse from an insulin pump company walks into my office

Hey, grab me a sample, would ya?
    EDIT: of the pump

chromdom on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    of my farts?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    You pump your farts?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you don't?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

That's just appropriately setting the mood and gives you the upper hand. Either they mention it and you get to inform them of the 'Smelt it Delt it' rules of '84 and claim victory, or they try to ignore it and can't concentrate on the meeting guaranteeing you come out with the better deal.

Thank you, Trump University, you really taught me a lot.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    you don't?

Wouldn't even know where to begin

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I put a lot of myself into my work

Too much, really. Got another stress related health issue recently, but I guess I just don't like to think about it.

It's weird how that happens and you don't seem to realise it about yourself.

Solar on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Just a friendly reminder, when you put things in your butt, make sure there is some portion of it that's going to stop it from going in all the way, thus allowing you to get it out.

A friend of mine is an ER doctor. One time she told me about a patient who came into the ER with a bic pen completely in her bladder. No kinkshaming here, but when you do urethra play you should probably avoid sticking the instrument in all the way.

That sounds like a nasty infection either way :bigfrown:

I feel like a lot of these kinds of issues could be avoided by following the simple rule of "Don't put things in your [orifice] unless they were designed to go in your [orifice]."

• Options
    I am... decidedly not looking forward to the drive home tonight.

I really should start looking for a closer workplace to home. Having to leave 1.5+ hours early just to maybe arrive at work on time is fucking absurd.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

I really should start looking for a closer workplace to home. Having to leave 1.5+ hours early just to maybe arrive at work on time is fucking absurd.

That's also gives you essentially a 12-hour work day which is ridiculous.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

That's also gives you essentially a 12-hour work day which is ridiculous.

I mean, driving back is usually quicker, about an hour or a little less.

But yeah, a total of 2-3 hours for a commute is ridiculous, especially when I'm not getting paid a lot. If I got paid more it'd be more tolerable

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It bugs me when I'm busy trying to put order to the chaos that is the warehouse in my one little corner and people can't help but come in and start shitting all over metaphorically.

I have a database. It is a very nice database, it keeps track of supply orders by their serial number, enabling easy searches in my files. I made this database because order forms would get lost on the regular. The database does not permit copies of the forms since it would duplicate the number. The warehouse policy does not permit copies of the forms because it's how people try to scam the warehouse into getting more supplies. This Goddamn housekeeping department supervisor keeps accepting photocopies and not letting me know, since I can boot them back, until they've been delivered.

• Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    They are starting interviews for our open supervisor position on Thursday. There are 2 people that I would really like to see get it, and several that I really don't want to see get it. I want to tell my manager that, but I'm not sure how well that would go over. What I would really prefer is to get rid of one of the other supervisors and promote the 2 that I want, but I don't think I'll be that lucky. Last week I started a log of everything the other supervisor isn't doing, but I think I would feel really guilty if I did anything with it.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I was just reminded by Bohlder that today is the two year anniversary of me dislocating a man's thumb over a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Good times.

How?

Don't ever get between me and my treats.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I HATE INCOMPETENT FUCKING PEOPLE WHO CAN'T SPEND AN EXTRA BRAIN CELL THINKING ABOUT HOW THEIR SHITTY DECISION MAKING IMPACTS OTHERS INSTEAD OF JUST THEMSELVES

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK I hate my job right now

EDIT: ahem, sorry about that

work has been a shitstorm lately and it's getting to the stage where every minor transgression at work (that would usually be understood or overlooked) is just adding to the gigantic stress pile that is my professional life

they're essentially axing the team I work for, and for those of you who know what I do, it's something I never thought any government department would have the balls to axe

the worst part is that I feel like I'm becoming more avoidant of work because of how powerless we are and unappreciated our work apparently is to higher-ups, which I feel makes me look lazy to my own husband, and it's overall a shitty fucking feeling

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So there's a job that was just posted, applications due by Oct. 8. The position seems to be a customer facing office manager role which I think I'm a perfect fit for. Would anyone here be able to look over my resume and help me polish it up? Maybe even the cover letter when I get that finished?

If so send me a pm, and thanks in advance.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    NeoToma wrote: »
    She's now been looking for 10 months and unemployed for 3.5 and her mental state is getting really bad

It's weird how much of our self worth we put in our jobs. You don't notice until you're not working and suddenly 30 pounds lighter because you've been too stressed to eat, having anxiety attacks in bars, breaking down crying when you look at the SO because how could anyone love you you unproductive cog, and wondering is this just my life? Struggling and working retail forever?

It's been a long summer.

<3<3<3

It really looks like a spiral of self-doubt and self-hate and it's so hard to keep your head above water when your head is quite determined to keep you pinned down, right where it wants you. Having some familiarity with the situation similar you're describing, I know that you are not loved for your productivity or your job or your income. Jobs come and go. Incomes and ingoes. And people will say that we love the person, but it's so hard to maintain your sense of identity when professional identity is a huge part of it - like, am I still me when I'm not doing the things I think I need to be doing?

The hard part is that no amount of an SO's reassurance is going to make much of a dent in that. Thing is, you can plan out the rest of your life and how you think it should look, but then you're mourning something that has never actually existed. That sounds SO harsh and don't get me wrong - it's super great to have dreams and ambitions, but not if it keeps you from seeing the things you have actually achieved. Ultimately the only thing we have actual control over is what we do today and what we plan to do next, and it's so important to remind yourself of your achievements and successes, rather than lament how far you have yet to go.

It sounds like a pity party but it isn't; a culture of "follow your dreams" is a great ideal but is only achieved by people who were in the right place at the right time with the right people. Everyone else is doing the best with what they've got, often in shit circumstances, and that's good enough.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Felt shitty about leaving work early, but uhh the alternative was a 90% of having diarrhea on the floor sooooo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Day three without water. And the lodge we usually go to in these situations also has no water. So we are all going to die.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Can you radio for emergency rations or something?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Day three without water. And the lodge we usually go to in these situations also has no water. So we are all going to die.

what are your Fanta stocks like?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that an average human holds like 70% water or something, pretty much walking water bottles

• Options
    We have a modest supply of fanta, coke, sprite, and stoney's ginger ale. Also I have a decent stock of beer. Which won't help with hydration but should at least make my demise less traumatic.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    We have a modest supply of fanta, coke, sprite, and stoney's ginger ale. Also I have a decent stock of beer. Which won't help with hydration but should at least make my demise less traumatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_oEmG7DzU

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My employer is doing its once a year internal-only job posting for control room first operators (the real job title is different but this describes it adequately). The guys who are in charge of the nuclear reactors and in direct control of them.

I am contemplating applying for it. A lot of people at work are telling me I should. My department is kind of a disorganized mess and it would be nice to jump ship over to the reactor units.

I honestly don't know if I have the mental stamina for the training though, assuming I would successfully become a candidate. Its like 5+ years of in class/simulator training. Not much time off - as opposed to now, where I get tons. During the training phase I would basically have to take the material home and study. The last thing I would want is to get into the middle of it and find out I absolutely hate it and made a huge mistake.

I think of the pluses and minuses of the job... and I'm not sure I want to do it. At the same time, I don't want to look back ten or fifteen years from now with regret that I had not done it. The benefits of the job are huge - but so are the demands.

The posting is open for about 3 more weeks. Realistically at this point in my career, I could wait another year or two (or five) for the next rounds of job postings. I think I might wait another year and see how I feel about it.

The initial application process is kind of daunting. After they do interviews and all that, they have a one week in-class cram session where you learn station systems, and do a couple of days on the control room simulator. Then they have what is unofficially called the "crash and burn" test. They tell you what the test will be on (they've been known to... grossly understate this) and then you have a simulator exercise where they throw everything and the kitchen sink at you. Basically as far as I can tell, their goal in this test is to mentally break you. If you don't make it through the test, you don't get accepted as a trainee.

Once you are a trainee, like I said it is 5+ years of training. Test after test after test. If you fail a single one, you are out. Each test over the entire five years can ask questions on material from anything covered in the entirety of the training so far.

Like. As I write that I wonder why I would subject myself to it.

Is the money really worth it?

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    How much more money are we talking about?

If you get a decent raise but won't have time to enjoy it, it might not be worth it. Especially if you like your current role and responsibilities.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    It's literally 5 years worth of your soul man
    Are you being literally paid your weight in gold for it

• Options
    once training is complete I would make $200-$300k a year

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    5 years is a long time

On the other hand that's some pretty heavy dust, man

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

It's been a long summer.

https://youtu.be/wHIWlKVUF4s

Yea this is pretty lame but here's my healing song

• Options
    Yeah its a tough choice

I got burned out during the 8 months of training I had to do when I got hired for my current job

not because I found it overly challenging, just because I hated 8 months straight of training

not sure I can deal with years of it

This discussion has been closed.