As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout [Love]

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Or when it's wrestle time, but gentle wrestle time, and they know this because they're smart and you said so, so they are a good dog for wrestle time and you tell them that they get a yummy treat because they're so good and they get excited and kick you right in the mouth

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    "Lemme just back my asshole into your foot, for you to scratch it - you like that, right?" - my dog

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mine would scootch back up against my legs as far as he could. Then if I didn't take the hint within approximately 2.3 seconds, he'd get up and readjust so he could scootch back again. "Here, maybe you missed it last time, I'm here pet me."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    All of these things sound great and I want dog now

I love dog

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I would not make someone choose between me and their dog as I know
    But alas I know I will never have that conversation

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

I can't find the old comment. Is there a way you could talk to some one and get some help?

I'm thinking of getting some therapy. I don't really know where to begin, and I'm already dreading the conversation with my parents.

In your particular case, I'd probably start by trying to find a support group of some sort rather than a therapist; you may end up wanting one in the end but it'd probably work out better to try something less committal first if you're able.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    my current dog will just climb into my lap but then a very buff dachshund is not to be ignored

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Our kitten is growing fast, and still hasn't learned that he probably shouldn't use his claws to climb up onto me for a cuddle. Cat scratch fever isn't a real thing, is it?

• Options
    Only if you got it from some kitty next door.

• Options
    Our kitten is growing fast, and still hasn't learned that he probably shouldn't use his claws to climb up onto me for a cuddle. Cat scratch fever isn't a real thing, is it?

Depends on how deep and how quickly you treat any open wounds.

Because fever is absolutely a common symptom of an infection.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cat scratch fever knocked one of my friends around a fair bit for a while, though she copped a couple of pretty deep gashes from the cat that gave it to her.

Also, slightly older kittens are more likely to carry the disease.

I guess just wash the heck out of any scratches, just to be sure.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well I haven't received any cuts, only surface scratches. And I disinfect them immediately.

• Options

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

I can't find the old comment. Is there a way you could talk to some one and get some help?

I'm thinking of getting some therapy. I don't really know where to begin, and I'm already dreading the conversation with my parents.

I really wish I could find someone to talk to
    I feel really I would be pathetic if I tired to it's that sad
    I really cannot talk to my family as I am really the black sheep of it so that's been a dead line for years

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going to say it.

I'm not a pet person.

I'm sorry, it's me.

I'm the monster

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Cat scratch fever isn't a real thing, is it?

I hope not, I look like I won a fight against like, some very determined animate toys

(like small soldiers before they started using actual weapons)

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    great relationship thing #9313479325

Pinecone was scheduled to be here tomorrow but I got sick yesterday and he was like "Well lucky thing I'd decided to come in Monday instead!!" and now I will get to be taken care of while I convalesce instead of having to force my aching body to cook food for itself!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm going to say it.

I'm not a pet person.

I'm sorry, it's me.

I'm the monster

I don't mind an unobtrusive Cat, and that's essentially the extent of it

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

In your particular case, I'd probably start by trying to find a support group of some sort rather than a therapist; you may end up wanting one in the end but it'd probably work out better to try something less committal first if you're able.

The thought of a support group composed of my peers terrifies me.

Two of my close friends are going through divorces and its hard to talk about other things.

One of my new friends is recently separated from his girlfriend and trying to figure out custody for their four year old.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Dogs dogs dogs. I love dogs.

I'm allergic to dogs.

I don't care. Gimme dogs.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

Two of my close friends are going through divorces and its hard to talk about other things.

One of my new friends is recently separated from his girlfriend and trying to figure out custody for their four year old.

I'm not a professional, and only you can decide what you're willing to try. That said, as a guy who's been through therapy, at some point you're going to have to lean in to uncomfortable stuff to get anywhere.

• Options
    I'm going to say it.

I'm not a pet person.

I'm sorry, it's me.

I'm the monster

It's okay, more dogs for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Cat scratch fever isn't a real thing, is it?

I hope not, I look like I won a fight against like, some very determined animate toys

(like small soldiers before they started using actual weapons)

It is, actually.

Most people aren't at risk for it - you're only likely to see it as a real danger with folks who are already immunocompromised. It's a bacterial infection, and most people are pretty capable of fending it off naturally, but it can lead to some pretty serious complications if you're not able to. It's also a particular danger for pregnant women, because the drugs commonly used to treat it are potentially dangerous to the fetus.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going to say it.

I'm not a pet person.

I'm sorry, it's me.

I'm the monster

It's okay, more dogs for me.

That's cool. You take all the dogs that I was meant to have.

Everyone wins

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    my cat sleeps on my face

he will not be in a room if I'm not in it

I lurve my cat

I also have another cat who I nickname mr smelly butt

• Options
    My dog likes to sleep with me and when he gets mad he sleeps on me
    IMG_20151006_152537_zpsfodibmyt.jpg
    _Preview_f.jpg

I sleep like a soap opera murder victim

• Options

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

I'm not a professional, and only you can decide what you're willing to try. That said, as a guy who's been through therapy, at some point you're going to have to lean in to uncomfortable stuff to get anywhere.

Yeah, I know therapy won't be fun

• Options
    edited October 2016

Bro button

Chin up, buddy.

Yeah, I know therapy won't be fun

It's not! It's actually pretty draining.

Someone was saying in the old thread that they spent a lot of time yelling at their therapist which... yep.

But the thing is I'm not talking about therapy itself, as far as the leaning-in, but all the stuff that right now you're avoiding doing which a good therapist will in theory help talk you into grappling with again.

E: It is cheaper, and will make you feel like a cool guy and maybe help, if you talk yourself into some of that stuff, is the other thing I'm saying.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    I'm thinking 'therapy" might be a good idea, but I have no idea what it actually is.

I used to watch Dr. Katz. Was that therapy?

I remember Michael and his crooked quack of a therapy in the satire GTA5.

And the Freud jokes...

And Lucy opening her little psychiatrist stand for Charlie Brown.

That's my knowledge of therapy and psychiatry.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i met some random girl for coffee yesterday it was a nice conversation and also only cost me $3
    her pictures were not as expected and such, i had my suspicions, but it was alright, and it was nice to have an afternoon tea for not much money as a first meetup

i have 2nd date with girl from weds last week tonight?
    and then girl from tues has not texted me back from yesterday, she was the coolest of ones i've gone on dates with but we will see

and then i dunno how i feel about girl from the other week

and then maybe i will have some more first dates but too busy to schedule those and going away soon

i'm just hedging my bets i suppose because things keep not working out or i am like meh or they are like meh

which makes sense

but it's a bit exhausting
    but entertaining enough

poo
  • Options
    I was walking into the mall to get some food after a work out and there was a woman screaming at a dude "get the fuck out of my car I'm leaving yo ass at the mall!"

So, being the moron that I am I walk up and ask if everything is ok and that everybody needs to take a deep breath and that I was gonna stand a few feet back until they calmed down and worked it out. Some money was exchanged for some reason, and the dude got out. Guy muttered a quiet "crazy..." I shrugged and we both set off into the Books-a-million together. I held the door open for him.

Let me tell ya'll motherfuckers about awkward.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure my divorce is final.

Yay.

I'm not prepared to look for a relationship yet. I need more time to figure myself out.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Juggernut how are you not inundated with hordes of women wanting to date you I don't understand at all

• Options
    Nija wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure my divorce is final.

Yay.

I'm not prepared to look for a relationship yet. I need more time to figure myself out.

Bro

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    11 days until Salsa date extravaganza.

Gonna call in sick for 11 days and just sleep until the 22.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    if i just do kegels forever out of boredom at work that is probably bad

i should be careful not to overdo it

but i get bored and i just do it

poo
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I had my two week panic with nerdy guy. He dealt very well with me telling him that emotions are scary and I wanted to run away. I did warn him in advance that it would happen, which is good because suddenly crying at him is probably a bit of shock. This is why I don't like getting involved.

Otherwise it was a lovely weekend and we get on scarily well. Despite my brain hating me.

• Options
    Angelina wrote: »
    I had my two week panic with nerdy guy. He dealt very well with me telling him that emotions are scary and I wanted to run away. I did warn him in advance that it would happen, which is good because suddenly crying at him is probably a bit of shock. This is why I don't like getting involved.

Otherwise it was a lovely weekend and we get on scarily well. Despite my brain hating me.

Your brain can fuck off, you're great and the fact that this is going well enough to be worth panicking about is great.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    yeah, panic over a relationship meaning it may be a good thing was a hard, long lesson to figure out. still quite haven't got it down to be honest

• Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Angelina wrote: »

Your brain can fuck off, you're great and the fact that this is going well enough to be worth panicking about is great.

Thank you. Just trying to keep breathing and going with the flow.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    having taken a few psych classes (and audited some as a pre-teen when my mom got her BA, hah!)
    counseling, therapy, and psychology and psychiatry are all related fields, but an expert in one is not necessarily knowledgeable in another.
    there are differing legal, categorical designations because of licensing and such, but that list generally goes from least to most certified via higher education due to established history of the profession, and accompanying regulation.

psychiatrists are medical doctors who went on to a mental health residency. they typically diagnose and treat (usu. through medication) for physical factors of mental issues rather than providing counseling.
    psychologists are social scientists, many of whom practice therapy and counseling, and/or engage in academic and clinical studies.
    both are based in clinical research as the basis for therapeutic work. they work well in tandem, it's not inherently either/or.

therapists can be either of the above, along with social workers, psychoanalysts, psychiatric nurses, marriage and family therapists, counselors, and so on.
    they typically have rigorous training and licensure, but may have a background outside of the psych degree field.
    this is where the general concept of 'therapy' comes in, as most therapists practice talk therapy in some form. they will ask questions and perhaps make suggestions, but they are there to help you heal yourself and engage with the process.

counselors/advisors can be a life coach, spiritual guide (chaplain, etc) and are not necessarily licensed in any fashion. the best ones are going to be using talk therapy even if they don't recognize it as such, because the goal is to manage your problems and improve your life.

i would say good therapy overall makes you uncomfortable but also relieved; basically someone trustworthy to kick you in the ass when you need it, until you can do it yourself.
    someone telling you to blame everyone else for your problems is just as damaging as someone who judges you for them, just in different ways.
    don't be afraid to shop around for someone who helps you improve -- better to start somewhere, perfect being the enemy of good, but don't subject yourself to a purely bad experience thinking that's just how it is.

lfchwLd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.